• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
You could throw as much money, legal or illegal, at him and it wouldn't change a thing because that's not what he cares about. Sometimes these people just suck.

Oh, Joe Manchin cares about money and power alright.

Problem is he's getting all of that by taking the exact position he's taking right now.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Lame duck Biden, presidency was pretty much a anyone but trump waiting room.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please explain to me what tangible difference there would be between current Manchin and a hypothetical Republican Senator in his place?
Well, Republicans would have been in control of the Senate, so absolutely nothing would have gotten passed this year. They would have stonewalled every judicial appointment, and there's still time for a possible supreme Court seat before the midterms.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
I literally said Biden should do it.

Sorry, I should have been more careful with my wording, I'm so tired of hearing the same justifications over and over that I didn't acknowledge your actual position. I agree, they should push forward and do it and I think the blowback is worth it given how things are trending.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
where is the lie, Era.

where is it

i'll check under the rug

I don't get it, is this supposed to be some sick burn or something?

Biden has no leverage, the party has no leverage. Manchin is popular in his state.

Bringing it to a vote and watching it fail accomplishes what, exactly? Where is the political brilliance I'm supposed to see with her insightful "point"?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He'll vote for Biden's judicial appointments. That's about it

And, you know, control of the Senate which allows Democrats to even bring bills to the floor.

If McConnell is in control every bill the Dems want (including infrastructure) gets tabled. Repubs continue to shove court appointees down our throats.

I know you realize this, why do people who know better keep bringing this up?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think some people are in for a rude awakening about the public popularity of things like student debt forgiveness or extending unemployment assistance. Lots of people in this country blame extended UI benefits as a cause for inflation, and there's no real economic reason to continue them anyway with such low jobless numbers.

And while I do think Biden should forgive at least 10k in student debt, I in no way think that's an easy win. For one thing, he may not even legally have the authority to do so (remember this past summer where Biden said he didn't have the power to extend the eviction moratorium, Dems berated him for failing to act, Biden announced he'd extend it, and then SCOTUS struck it down?). But even if he were able to do it, I think it's way more likely he'd face a public backlash for it than some swell of support for it.
Forgiving student debt is favored by the majority of Americans going by polling data I've seen.

Attempting to extend the eviction moratorium was a good move despite the Supreme Court decision.

I'll give you that the public feelings on unemployment benefits are a problem with our populace.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happens in the midterms will be deserved.

Jun 10, 2018
So basically, from the summary of responses to my original post Manchin SOMETIMES vote with Dems on certain legislative matters and aids in the appointing of federal judges.

But is that enough to outweigh, even if marginal, his consistent staunch opposition to the Democratic agenda?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Jayapal and the CPC got fucking played - the squad was right not to vote on infrastructure.

Turns out Manchin is the real president after all, Kamala.

Last edited:

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
Funniest shit in american politics is how people on the left blame democrat politicians but not dumb ass americans voting for the people that actually block these legislations

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Whatever happens in the midterms will be because of the pandemic and the economy and the Republicans very effective race baiting. Not because of this bill and Machin's grandstanding.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Funniest shit in american politics is how people on the left blame democrat politicians but not dumb ass americans voting for the people that actually block these legislations
Maybe these dumbass democrats start doing their jobs and not breaking promises to actually make people WANT to vote instead of "eh the other guy is worse!!!"

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
So basically, from the summary of responses to my original post Manchin SOMETIMES vote with Dems on certain legislative matters and aids in the appointing of federal judges.

But is that enough to outweigh, even if marginal, his consistent staunch opposition to the Democratic agenda?

I think it's just that this is a false choice.

Nobody likes what Manchin does. Understanding Manchin's motivations are not an endorsement of them.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This just shows how broken our political system is. The majority of an entire presidents agenda can be stalled for an entire term because one "Democrat" who's in a highly conservative state won't play ball with his party because it would hurt his pocket or chances to get re-elected.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"People on the left" = "people with legitimate policy concerns that I can't argue with so instead Of holding people who are in power today accountable I'll mistake the effect for the cause because I am good at analysis"

It's about time you mfers get bullied into shutting the fuck up.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Well I guess you can ask yourself, how much worse would people feel about Dems if, in addition to not passing BBB, they also couldn't pass the covid stimulus bill (including $1400 checks, CTC payments, and extended UI benefits) or confirm any judges or confirm a number of Biden's cabinet appointments?

Manchin is a terrible person who is singularly standing in the way out of climate agenda and voting rights agenda and childcare agenda. But he's also singularly responsible for why this Senate has been able to do literally anything at all. That's why he's so easy to hate!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This just shows how broken our political system is. The majority of an entire presidents agenda can be stalled for an entire term because one "Democrat" who's in a highly conservative state won't play ball with his party because it would hurt his pocket or chances to get re-elected.
Have we tried appealing to his conscience as he literally looks down on us from his yacht?

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
User banned (2 weeks): personal attacks
"People on the left" = "people with legitimate policy concerns that I can't argue with so instead Of holding people who are in power today accountable I'll mistake the effect for the cause because I am good at analysis"

It's about time you mfers get bullied into shutting the fuck up.
go back to defending china

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This was always going to be the case.

The Dems legislative agenda came down to one person. Sadly, he chose to throw a live grenade into it.

That's just the way it is sadly.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens in the midterms will be because of the pandemic and the economy and the Republicans very effective race baiting. Not because of this bill and Machin's grandstanding.
I agree that I don't think BBB will be terribly determinative of the midterms either way. But that's still reason enough for why we need to pass it! Even if voters don't reward Dems for passing any kind of climate bill, this is going to be our last chance to do so for years.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Outweigh? Not really

But it's either that or nothing

THE210

Nov 30, 2017

We don't have any control over who gets elected outside of our own states. We also know a concerted effort to destroy voting rights and election integrity is currently taking place and nothing is being done to stop it. So all this talk about doing better in future elections is a complete joke

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Time for Biden to abuse Executive Orders and bypass the Senate. Break some rules here and there if possible for good causes.

The next 2 years are gonna be grid lock heaven. Welcome to Obama years part 2.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Dems are going to have to hope they can elect more senators in 2022. The map isn't awful for them.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people think this is the 1960s and Biden is LBJ. That was a completely different time.
in their defense, biden made the claim that he's the dude to get everyone to cooperate

it was always not true, because conservatives are bullshit amoral bastards that don't believe in listening to reason, but that's the situation we are living in

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
No, they were not.

Because we'd have nothing. In what universe is that the preferable scenario?

In a universe where they gave up every single little bit of leverage they had so Manchin can kill this bill. At the very least, right now, if they hadn't decoupled it, they'd have some sort of bargaining chip. Now they have even more nothing.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately if dems arent going to fucking do anything is there another party that we can just third party vote instead? This is so pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.