• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's something I've noticed specifically on Era, and nowhere else. There are some people who're not watching Endgame—totally fine—and are then tripping over themselves to ensure that everyone knows about it. They enter threads about the movie to complain about the movie and talk about how they're not seeing it, they make threads about how they are not seeing it as a rallying cry, as it anti-MCU is integral to their self-perception, they make sure everyone knows that no, they're not watching the new popular thing.

Why?

Like, there's a lot of popular things I don't get into, but I'm not going to enter threads about said popular things and talk about how I'm too smart to fall for the masses-endearing thing. I don't make threads to talk about it. If I'm not interested in someone, that... extends to me not wanting to talk about it.

So why is there this weird sense of elitist self-identification with not looking forward to a movie that do many people are anticipating?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I'll read the OP, but first I want to let you know I'm not watching Endgame.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I legit don't get the hype for these movies, they all feel the same, all have the same dumb humor, the stakes always feel low or non-existent... but I also don't understand the need to go in and shit on people's fun.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legit don't get the hype for these movies, they all feel the same, all have the same dumb humor, the stakes always feel low or non-existent... but I also don't understand the need to go in and shit on people's fun.
Like that's the thing though. I get not liking them or whatever, that's totally fine. I just don't get the folks (not you!) who want to make sure everyone else knows that.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just to be that guy. But I caved in. I have been on a quest to watch all the MCU movies for the past couple weeks. Those people are missing out. Some really good movies.

Can't wait to see Endgame 👍

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Probably because the marvel shilling here is on overload but I dont see it anywhere else. So one contrarian here and there sticks out I guess.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the big deal.

There's been like 200 Avengers threads on this forum, Star Wars gets 500 threads, etc. People are obsessed with these films, yet a few people being negative or not following the trend upsets you?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting threads are a consumable resource.

If we got an anti-MCU thread we should get a "I support Trump" thread, solely due to contrarians and the amount of threads a topic gets.

Something that's as popular as the MCU is obviously going to be on a lot of people's minds, especially this month.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you feel the need to let everyone know you don't understand the people who feel the need let everyone know they don't like Marvel?

Oct 27, 2017
It is not exclusive to Avengers. Seems to be an overall ERA thing.

Days Gone is the biggest example. You have people who aren't interested in the game usually come to every thread about it to tell us they are not interested.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you feel the need to let everyone know you don't understand the people who feel the need let everyone know they don't like Marvel?
Why do you feel the need to let me know that you don't understand my need to let everyone know I don't understand the people who need to let everyone know they don't like Marvel?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally everyone on a forum is looking for attention, otherwise why post your thoughts? You could just have thoughts and not share them.

Oct 25, 2017
México
ml9GsiK.png

More accurate translation: Who is Thanos? I'm sorry for being busy reading "The Alchemist" by the master Paulo Coelho; I barely have enough time to worry about stupid movies that don't let my imagination fly like books do.

There is always one who thinks it's the only one not watching a Marvel film because they feel they are intellectually superior to the rest of the people.

Nothing more annoying than a contrarian.

Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) is filled with people saying: "Am I the only one who doesn't gives a fuck about the new Avengers film" just because they want to feel different. Same here in the forum.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Because some people on Era feel the need to be edgelords who gotta spread their pointless hot-takes so they can get the attention they so desperately want. Go to the gaming section whenever there is a major announcement and you will find them. The latest example I have seen is the Borderlands 3 reveal trailer. Go into that thread and you will find all kinds of people posting their BS for no other reason to get attention. The EtcEra section is no different.

It also doesn't help that their are people on Era who have a hard on for pointlessly hating the MCU films for whatever reason.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I said this in another thread but my IMAX tickets are booked and I didn't even think the last one was a particularly good film. It's like an event and I want to be part of it. Plus I think this one will be better.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era is filled to the brim with contrarians

Eh, even when there's like 5+ MCU related threads on the front page at any given time lately?

Nah.

I'm happy to see the other side of the coin from time to time.

The MCU isn't the be all, end all of the comic book film genre that people here pump it up to be. So it's good to have a counter balance to that.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
feel like the MCU is long past played out and isn't doing much to warrant the reverence it enjoys. I don't think the movies are bad, I just think they're boring

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Of all the shit that happens around here, this is what bothers you?

To most of us, its just a movie, one that has endless marketing department and is part of a franchise that some of us are a bit fatigued by. '

Plus 3 hours, which easily turns into a four hours fifteen minute, or half an hour time enema of a weekend day, once previews and commute time are factored in, isn't a tiny ask.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
feel like the MCU is long past played out and isn't doing much to warrant the reverence it enjoys. I don't think the movies are bad, I just think they're boring
Okay, but it appears that others disagree which is why they still like them.

The issue isn't people DISLIKING the movies, it's their need to go out of their way to let everyone know about it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the shit that happens around here, this is what bothers you?

To most of us, its just a movie, one that has endless marketing department and is part of a franchise that some of us are a bit fatigued by. '

Plus 3 hours, which easily turns into a four hours fifteen minute, or half an hour time enema of a weekend day, once previews and commute time are factored in, isn't a tiny ask.
  1. No
  2. Good for you, that's not the issue
  3. Okay?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston

The issue isn't people DISLIKING the movies, it's their need to go out of their way to let everyone know about it.
it's about how many MCU threads there are and how much space they take up. seriously there was like a dozens of pages long thread about the experience of preordering movie tickets which just feels nuts to me. Feel like all this stuff needs to be in an OT or a pre-OT or a hangouts thread rather than scattered across a bunch of random threads in etcetera

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017

Who is going out of their way?

One topic on the main page with someone saying they aren't watching it? is that it?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Probably because the marvel shilling here is on overload but I dont see it anywhere else. So one contrarian here and there sticks out I guess.

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that. The "shilling" can be found everywhere on the web because the MCU is the most popular film franchise right now. Folks declaring they won't see a film which broke ticket sites like Fandango are the outliers here.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Not only on ERA. I see a lot of this behavior in real life too. Basically attention starved edge lords that say such statements to seem unique and over the trend. You see this thing about every big thing in pop culture. They say it about Game of Thrones too

Status
Not open for further replies.