• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
so i've unexpectedly been roped into going to some kind of operatic/symphonic gala dinner thing tonight. i have been told that the dress code is "festive cocktail". i identify as male. i dress super shabby all of the time. the only "nice" clothing i own is the suit i wore at my wedding. what does a fellow wear to be "festive cocktail" ? can i pull this off or should i stay home? there will be an open bar at this event. thanks

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google says this first image, wow
6f571488bba6ecf3b56f06b0f1280d07.jpg

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When is this event?

In formal wear, much like decor, "festive" refers to seasonably appropriate or themed. Most of the time it refers to Christmas. Is it that far away?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Cocktail is somewhere between casual and evening wear. More formal than casual but more casual than actual evening wear.

Just wear a suit without a tie.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Festive in this case is... spring? You'll probably do just fine wearing your suit. You could probably also wear your suit with no tie or perhaps a pastel/flower tie or something 'spring'-like.

OP
OP
viandante

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
When is this event?

In formal wear, much like decor, "festive" refers to seasonably appropriate or themed. Most of the time it refers to Christmas. Is it that far away?
it's tonight 😂😂

feeling a bit under the gun with the whole clothing situation. i could decline the invite without hurting too many feelings.

so far i'm seeing suit = yes and suit = no.
😵‍💫

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Wear the suit with a non-white shirt. Wear a tie but take it off if you look overdressed.

-signed someone who used to go to countless charity galas for work where the dress code was cocktail

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
it's tonight 😂😂

feeling a bit under the gun with the whole clothing situation. i could decline the invite without hurting too many feelings.

so far i'm seeing suit = yes and suit = no.
😵‍💫
This invitation is nonsense, lol. I guess they mean "spring formal" - which is usually lighter colors or accents.

Whatever, just wear a suit. As a man you're lucky. If it says cocktail you can wear a suit and you'll be fine. Bring the tie and put it on in the car if you see anyone else in one.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't go wrong with your suit. Tie is optional but probably wouldn't be overdressed with one. The festive part I likely means bright spring colors, but you have what you have.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
You can wear a suit without a tie to start. Be ready to take off the jacket and roll up the sleeves. That way you can go up/down to match everyone around you.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Cocktail" to me means the low end of formal dress. Like, above business, below wedding. Yes suit, no tuxedo.

No idea what "festive" means in this context though.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Generally when going to a symphony they expect you to dress reasonably formal but not too formal, cocktail means they want you to get a bit edgy. Since it's spring you could probaly wear something like this:

tumblr_mwlsbvKUpj1qeldg8o1_500.jpg

You can get away with Serif fonts but at least one Calligraphic font is absoloutley necessary for looking fancy and it must be emblazoned in gold only, if you show up in silver you're out of there.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
probs doesn't really matter. just don't go in wearing sweat pants and a green bay packers sweater

OP
OP
viandante

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
thanks for the responses y'all. i am now feeling semi confident about wearing my suit (which is kinda springy colored anyway) and feeling out the vibe. i also have a springy tie? i suppose i shouldn't stress about it too much..

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Here are a few items to consider for tonight's dinner.
  • Slicked back hair.
    • or spiked up blonde hair.
  • Itty bitty jeans.
    • or White bathing suit.
  • White Ferrari.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Always trust Tan France. Found this article that hopefully will help. Since the event is tonight, I wouldn't rush out to buy something. Maybe something that just looks nice with a bit of color.

Festive Attire for Men

Are you in need of a good statement outfit for a festive attire New Year's soirée? Here are some options for a festive attire dress code for men:
  • Suits: Suits are the most common choice for men in festive attire, but you don't have to wear the classic dark suit synonymous with cocktail attire for men. Choose a suit in an interesting color or textile, or add decorative embellishments like a patterned tie to make a statement at the party.
  • Tops: If you're not in the mood to wear a suit, look for fun, festive tops like a colorful cashmere sweater, or an open-collar shirt or button-down with a velvet blazer or tweed sport coat.
  • Bottoms: Pair your festive top with bottoms like slim-fit corduroy, flannel, or velvet pants.
  • Shoes: Dress shoes are the most obvious choice for men looking for festive attire. Skip the plain black dress shoes in favor of shoes with an interesting color or unique details.
  • Accessories: Spice up your festive outfit with some fun accessories, like a patterned tie, bow tie, or pocket square, or a shiny watch or bracelets.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A festive cocktail is probably something with eggnog in it, so I'd go for an ugly christmas sweater