• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You know what I'm talking about.

(Let me get this weekend started)

Fuck Reddit and Pinterest for this shit. I can't read r/wtf unless I download the app? 90% of the first Google image searches links me to Pinterest that then in turn asks me to pull up the app? Imgur has moments like this as well.

No, I don't want to "request desktop site", it's such a pain and my privilege can't handle something that takes more than 5 extra seconds. YOU ARE A SITE ON THE INTERNET. Allow me to view your site like the grownups do.

These apps always suck (I use a third party for Reddit and don't me started on how Reddit limits third party apps a sell) and so I have to see this all the time since I don't want to download them.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked, and I can browse r/wtf just fine from Chrome (Android).

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Agreed. It's an absolute nuisance.

Twitter requiring you to be logged in pisses me off as well.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
"This page looks better on the app!"

I assure you the tiddes I am trying to view look just as good in browser 😤

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Pinterest in general is pretty garbage, I downloaded the app because I wanted to get some inspiration for my new apartment but it's mainly shoving the same products in your face, a lot of sponsored products and the app constantly pushes notifications with 12 suggestions.

But I agree, I always try to use as few apps as possible and use the browser to browse sites. I'm doing research on my phone on reddit, I don't want to download your terrible apps. I even use the duelingo app in the browser to avoid the ads between my lessons.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The app has unlimited dogs!
> Yes
> No, I hate dogs

Fuck you Reddit

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
What they want me to do: Download the app, create an account and use it on a daily basis.

What I'm actually doing: Muttering "you stupid fucking assholes" and tapping the 'X' on the banner so I can read the content.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on iPad and I browser desktop reddit on it, though I agree on smartphone it's just a mess trying to read a thread, even with the app.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Twitter is getting really annoying without an account. What I do on reddit is put an "old" in the address bar. This shows you the old version of their site. For instance : https://old.reddit.com/r/anime/
Should work with every subreddit.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Some places let you circumvent this by changing the layout from mobile to desktop. But yes, shit is wack and I hate it too.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Websites in 2022 are almost unusable.

My local news website surfaces a notification alert, an email subscription pop up, a mobile app notification pop up, a cookies selection pop up, and a location alert pop up every single time I visit it.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
One of the reasons I stopped with Reddit and won't go back. Their push for the app constantly is so aggressive it feels like harassment.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's the case.

So you can either use the app, not have an account and toggle NSFW content on.
or you can use the mobile website and turn NSFW content on in your user settings.

it's a terrible system, indeed.

App allows private browsing though, so ... 😅

Oct 27, 2017
You know what I'm talking about.

(Let me get this weekend started)

Fuck Reddit and Pinterest for this shit. I can't read r/wtf unless I download the app? 90% of the first Google image searches links me to Pinterest that then in turn asks me to pull up the app? Imgur has moments like this as well.

No, I don't want to "request desktop site", it's such a pain and my privilege can't handle something that takes more than 5 extra seconds. YOU ARE A SITE ON THE INTERNET. Allow me to view your site like the grownups do.

These apps always suck (I use a third party for Reddit and don't me started on how Reddit limits third party apps a sell) and so I have to see this all the time since I don't want to download them.
are-you-serious-seriously.gif

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

the app is literally fucking shit. i hated the desktop site when i started going to reddit in 2011 but nah.. it makes more since now than most sites i use

Reddit Enhancement Suite

makes it look like you want and has soooooo many features lol . i still love the forum layout though.. but the reddit app should be a war crime. Im sure it will turn in to tikshits layout soon though.
desktop site for lyfe.
lol why would anyone even use reddit without being logged in...? being able to follow subreddits and see new post from there is the only way to view reddit.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I'm not installing an app for every freaking website, stop asking. Just let me use the damn internet.

Literally wasting parts of my life closing all the stupid popups and prompts and I don't care, I will fight this practice to my final breath.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They need as many metrics as they can get on who's browsing.
Plus forcing you to login means more new account signups which makes shareholders happy.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Not installing an app, and I'm definitely not creating a Reddit, Yelp, or Pinterest account.

HTML 5 is great, enough with these stupid bloated apps.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Those saying it's just for NSFW stuff, it's basically not just that but also "questionable content". I had it pop up for a keto diet tips page and a story in r/politics.

I dunno, but clearly OP isn't logged in if it's asking them to view in the app.

Weirdly enough, I am. I can still follow subreddits and even reply. But it still asks me to download the app for "questionable content".

Like I'll pull up game guides like RPG builds and can follow and like posts in Chrome.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Those saying it's just for NSFW stuff, it's basically not just that but also "questionable content". I had it pop up for a keto diet tips page and a political story.

Weirdly enough, I am. I can still follow subreddits and even reply. But it still asks me to download the app.
ah, weird, I found that once I logged in the site just worked completely normally - never get pestered to log in. though, I only use the actual website when I'm googling things, beyond that I use Narwhal on my phone to browse reddit, which I highly recommend if you're on iphone and do want a reddit app that isn't their dumpster fire.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Even in the app the experience is shittier: My fav is how reddit kills lots of copy/paste functionality so lets say someone recommends a product on a forum you need to manually type it. Don't get me started on how clicked links don't defer to your browser of choice but an in app shitty browser.

The web experience feels like we are going backwards to the days of terribly written flash sites and code, I spend a good amount of time fighting against apps/browsers particularly on mobile.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Even in the app the experience is shittier: My fav is how reddit kills lots of copy/paste functionality so lets say someone recommends a product on a forum you need to manually type it. Don't get me started on how clicked links don't defer to your browser of choice but an in app shitty browser.

The web experience feels like we are going backwards to the days of terribly written flash sites and code, I spend a good amount of time fighting against apps/browsers particularly on mobile.

I actually did have Reddit installed on my phone but uninstalled because it was, frankly, annoying. The worst sin in my view is that it totally hijacks the back button so that once you're in the app, getting out requires you to hit the back button way more times than required, and also messes up anything you might have been browsing already in the app separately from opening Reddit links in the browser. Usually I just want to dip into a Reddit post and then go back to whatever website I was browsing from, so this is a big momentum killer for me.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I actually did have Reddit installed on my phone but uninstalled because it was, frankly, annoying. The worst sin in my view is that it totally hijacks the back button so that once you're in the app, getting out requires you to hit the back button way more times than required, and also messes up anything you might have been browsing already in the app separately from opening Reddit links in the browser. Usually I just want to dip into a Reddit post and then go back to whatever website I was browsing from, so this is a big momentum killer for me.

Yup. Its like ok, I wanna look up a specific problem regarding plumbing or a piece of music gear. Type into google and bam, after eighteen pages of advertising (lol) I have legit links lets say five with half of em in reddit. I click on the blog posts or specified enthusiast forum replies and I can easily bounce in and out.

I click that subreddit and boooyyyy, thats it.

"You're stuck here guy, no going back now. Yeah, I know you just want to to back to click on those already searched reddit links but hang, kickback and see this cool viral video about truck stunts we are commenting on."

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it fucking sucks. I hate it. A lot of it is driven around not being able to block ads as easily in the apps, and then also being able to access certain system APIs that aren't as easily available for the app in a browser. It's horse shit and an anti-pattern from a user perspective.

Especially annoying when a lot of the native apps are just wrappers for their web services/web apps, so it means it just runs shittier.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep and it seems to be getting worst 😡. For reddit you can generally get past it if you right click on the thread/comments and open it in a new tab rather than clicking it directly.