• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Screen_Shot_2019-03-22_at_5.33.23_PM.jpg

Wildly underrated post tbh

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I was at a bar once when a lady staggered up to me and said that her fertility cycle was synced with the moon and since it was a half moon or something if she didn't have sex that night she would go insane. Then she vomited on me.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've seen Netflix's Sabrina, there's like five kids at that school because of low budget and everything's blurry so their aim is probably Not Good, folks. I think we're safe.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My wife and daughter believe in this stuff, and from what I've gained from their conversations with each other, this would be considered extremely stupid and dangerous.

What's their beef with the moon anyway?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and daughter believe in this stuff, and from what I've gained from their conversations with each other, this would be considered extremely stupid and dangerous.

What's their beef with the moon anyway?

I mean, you ever read ancient myths about gods and goddesses? In what universe is pissing off someone way bigger than you and liable to fuck your shit up for no reason on a normal day a good idea?

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Don't mess with faeries, folks. It was basically taboo to do so (still is, in rural parts) up until the 20th century. It invites misfortune.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's fun when people joke this stuff. That said there's always that group that goes too hard on the irony and start convincing people to become actual fanatics. Crystal magic, flat earth, time cube, qanon. People rely on this stuff too much to pad out their identities.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if people are actually serious or just having fun, like folks who dabble with tarot or astrology without taking it too seriously.
I dunno, I think those people are worse than the "genuine" believers. The amount of times I've run into the "I don't really believe in astrology, but also, you're like totally a Scorpio"-type people frustrates me to no end.

I know it's the whole "straight white male who believes in scientific truth" stereotype, but in the age of people perpetuating a pandemic because they don't believe in masks, I'm done giving two hoots about the claptrap these people spout with their crystals and Reiki healing and witchcraft. They deserve to be mocked.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Wait, what? Witches are are into Roman/Greek gods? ... and somehow the fae, simultaneously, despite being from a radically different folklore tradition?

I thought Wicca was supposed to be more like Druidic or something, not just a lame pastiche of "here's all the stuff people stopped believing in".

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean, you ever read ancient myths about gods and goddesses? In what universe is pissing off someone way bigger than you and liable to fuck your shit up for no reason on a normal day a good idea?
There's always those myths about people who thought it was a good idea to do it. (Spoiler: In the vast majority of cases it wasn't.)

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Wait, what? Witches are are into Roman/Greek gods? ... and somehow the fae, simultaneously, despite being from a radically different folklore tradition?

I thought Wicca was supposed to be more like Druidic or something, not just a lame pastiche of "here's all the stuff people stopped believing in".
Not every witch is a Wiccian. And sometimes people will mix different practices. But yes lots of folks worship the Greek and Roman gods.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

From what I pick up there's a common element running through all of them. The witch store around here even sells Judeo-Christian talismen.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mixing folklore isn't exactly rare.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I'm not Wiccan or anything of the sorts but I know not to mess with the moon let alone the others

2020 gonna really bring it down

UnderstatedUnselfishAztecant-size_restricted.gif

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017

Modern Wicca is basically a pastiche of old beliefs. And not every practicing witch professes to be Wiccan. The whole appeal of the movement is that it's essentially 'believe what you want' without much in the way of a central creed (though there are some common guidelines). It's pretty inclusive, which is why there's been a resurgence.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
From what I pick up there's a common element running through all of them. The witch store around here even sells Judeo-Christian talismen.

I mean, there isn't, really, unless you're talking about in some "masks covering the underlying truth of the universe" proto-Sikhism sort of way, which they clearly aren't if they've got Zeus as a side-piece and are worried about what kind of curses Apollo is cooking up.

I'd have to look at their Grand Unified Theory of Folkore, but my initial impression would be: shit's pretty dumb.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be fuckin with shit you don't shit about

Golden rule and all but I know a couple of wiccans

I've lived in semi haunted houses

let the professional deal with this

or in this case let whoever deal with this however they can

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean, there isn't, really, unless you're talking about in some "masks covering the underlying truth of the universe" proto-Sikhism sort of way, which they clearly aren't if they've got Zeus as a side-piece and are worried about what kind of curses Apollo is cooking up.

I'd have to look at their Grand Unified Theory of Folkore, but my initial impression would be: shit's pretty dumb.
"Common element" as in different interpretations of similar things.

Also, I took a mythology course as an elective in college, and learned there was a very incestuous relationship between the religions that sprung out of Mesopotamia, Egypt, and the Mediterranean. Christianity is no exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.