• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid crazy assholes all of them. Posted by Plinko

A top Trump appointee repeatedly urged top health officials to adopt a "herd immunity" approach to Covid-19 and allow millions of Americans to be infected by the virus, according to internal emails obtained by a House watchdog and shared with POLITICO.

"There is no other way, we need to establish herd, and it only comes about allowing the non-high risk groups expose themselves to the virus. PERIOD," then-science adviser Paul Alexander wrote on July 4 to his boss, Health and Human Services assistant secretary for public affairs Michael Caputo, and six other senior officials.

"Infants, kids, teens, young people, young adults, middle aged with no conditions etc. have zero to little risk….so we use them to develop herd…we want them infected…" Alexander added.
"It may be that it will be best if we open up and flood the zone and let the kids and young folk get infected" in order to get "natural immunity…natural exposure," Alexander wrote on July 24 to Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn, Caputo and eight other senior officials. Caputo subsequently asked Alexander to research the idea, according to emails obtained by the House Oversight Committee's select subcommittee on coronavirus.

Alexander also argued that colleges should stay open to allow Covid-19 infections to spread, lamenting in a July 27 email to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield that "we essentially took off the battlefield the most potent weapon we had...younger healthy people, children, teens, young people who we needed to fastly [sic] infect themselves, spread it around, develop immunity, and help stop the spread."

Alexander was a top deputy of Caputo, who was personally installed by President Donald Trump in April to lead the health department's communications efforts. Officials told POLITICO that they believed that when Alexander made recommendations, he had the backing of the White House.
"It was understood that he spoke for Michael Caputo, who spoke for the White House," said Kyle McGowan, a Trump appointee who was CDC chief of staff before leaving this summer. "That's how they wanted it to be perceived."
www.politico.com

‘We want them infected’: Trump appointee demanded ‘herd immunity’ strategy, emails reveal

Then-HHS science adviser Paul Alexander called for millions of Americans to be infected as means of fighting Covid-19.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I guess he should have taken the initiative and got it for himself, but I don't think that happened!

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Same as the UK. Our countries are run by monsters who care more about churning capitalism than human lives. And somehow deny the role that apolitical science has in a functional society.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
So the Trump administration wanted a lot more Americans to die. Good to know that 70+ million of my fellow countrymen and women voted for such upstanding people.

Last edited:

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
It may be that it will be best if we open up and flood the zone and let the kids and young folk get infected
I wonder why Republicans/Conservatives are still all about keeping schools open, I thought they said they'd abandoned the herd immunity approach...

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I know these people are stupid and evil, but I'll never comprehend this strategy. It's not a strategy. It's like saying "hey, this big forest fire is approaching the town, let's just burn everything down ourselves so there's nothing left for the fire to burn!"

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Probably based that on the country (Sweeden?) that tried doing this and it seemed to work initially until the second wave hit.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'd call these ghouls subhuman trash if not for the fact that the use of the word trash would be insulting to literal garbage.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least these folks involved in this should be forced into hiding for the rest of their lives.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Weird sub note, but this phrase stuck out tome because it's just so unusual

"... flood the zone ..."

It's crazy how these phrases work their way through the Trump circle. "Flood the zone" is the nickname for the strategy to flood media/news agencies with so many bogus stories, just one after the other, that the negative stories that can sink you have trouble rising to the top amid just the sheer number of bull shit, some real, some false, some planted, some leaked. It's a phrase and strategy borrowed from the Kremlin, similar to the phrase "Deep state," which then ends up getting used to describe other things and applied everywhere.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The fact that we have babies as young as 2 month olds dying from this virus is horrifying, and these insane morons need to be locked up. Not talk about it; legitimately put them behind bars for the safety of others.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely disgusting to think about how many Americans were just fine voting for this criminal administration.

Movies, TVs, video games, comic books, etc. didn't go far enough in their depictions of their villain characters.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Two professional football/soccer players are badly ill with this at the moment here. The risk might be smaller for younger people, but nowhere near zero.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, the idea wasn't uncommon back at the start... oh.
July?!? How can this still be the plan by July?

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
How is it that we can have these people literally say shit like this and still have folks like Matthew McConaughey taking about how "the left needs to meet in the middle"?

People like him need to be forced to defend this. Ask them what "meet in the middle" looks like when faced with this level of insanity.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Same as the UK. Our countries are run by monsters who care more about churning capitalism than human lives. And somehow deny the role that apolitical science has in a functional society.

It's even worse then the UK, this was in JULY. They'd already seen the UK reverse course after this policy was a disaster just at the "don't bother to contact trace" stage.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Yet people keep voting Trump and GOP. The brainwashing is strong in this country. Also, this country has a serious lack of empathy.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he almost won a second term is going to haunt me for a long while.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Sadly at least this showed there was at least an evil method to the madness. Still saying even them talking 'herd immunity' so late in the game was akin to a dude plagerizing a paper to hand in two weeks after the due date. They had no fucking plan, even that.

When this was just starting, a few people in the right wing sphere got caught saying some of the few remaining quiet parts out loud. Specifically, that it was good to "thin the herd" from time to time. It's increasingly easy to believe this is the real thinking behind people like Alexander. The rush for advocating herd immunity opportunistic - these fucks are at their core a death cult, and grow excited by any opportunity to inflict great harm in order to seize a new order out of the chaos.

And thinning the herd is always a useful bonus for them. Since it is axiomatic in their world view that the only people culled by the chaos they create will be the disposable, excess, and undesirable.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
The fact that he almost won a second term is going to haunt me for a long while.
74 million people voted for a fascist who objectively wanted a deadly virus to spread, uncontained, through the country. He lost by over 7 million votes, but Biden won the Electoral College because of ~70k votes in 3 states. I no longer think of it as "it can happen here." It feels like it will happen here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100%.

Where is the outrage? Where's the revolution? Come on, people, you're letting me down.
America just kinda lets corruption and shit happen. Helps that we're spread apart and 50% of the country is okay with this.

Not a single one of these fuckheads are going to see any justice, and it just makes me want to give up on society and life.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Upgrade from criminal negligence to criminal intent. Lock him up?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Meanwhile my recently retired neighbor who is one of the most talented woodworkers in the entire country is fighting for his life.

We need to thin the herd though am I right?

/sarcasm

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Fuck these reptiles. And the worst part is that they'll get no comeuppance after all this is said and done.

He's running again in 2024, and every single GOP candidate from now on is going to imitate his style. Be very afraid
Yup. People that think this is going to magically disappear Disney style the moment Biden is sworn in are in for a rude awakening. They're gonna double, or even triple down more than ever to claim victory again in four years.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Stop acting like herd immunity is a strategy. It's literally the absence of a strategy.
It's basically just saying screw it, let everyone get sick.