• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Three games they didn't come up with themselves or bought the company making the game and Artifact. Not exactly a great track record.

Work/life balance is extremely important and I'm not minimizing that. I'm just minimizing Valve's 'recent' game output.

These are all games developed by valve. They have committed game development.
End of story. It doesnt fucking matter that dota 2 is a sequel when everything about it from the netcode to assets were created by valve. It doesnt make it any less of a valve game when 100% of the development has happened by valve, under valve, for valve.

What is it with you folks that they need to diminish anything that's not a singleplayer game as "not a valve game".

Going by your argument, valve has never made a single fucking game before because it can be applied to all valve games ever created bar half life.

Not like any of this matter because originality of an ip has nothing to do whatsoever with the question of wether or not a dev still develops games

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Well.. to be fair, are Valve working on a huge AAA title atm?

Valve Time is term coined by the fans/media mostly used when Valve points out a certain date/window for their releases/big game updates, but they failed to deliver on time, usually having delays, which varies from hours to weeks. Reverse Valve Time has also been seen. More info here.
These are hilariously tame in comparison to the delays that have happened to 80% of games announced at the past five E3s.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There should be a sticker publishers / Devs can put on their box - "created using ethical work practices".

I'm serious, that should be on the Spider-Man box and any other game that was created without crunch.

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that the AAA industry is so bad that it makes this look impressive, but being snarky about "Valve Time" isn't actually off base. Valve is really a service company, they have a ton of passive income which at this pointed is automated to the point where they basically don't do much at all relative to how much they make. I'd actually say that most medium to large sized service-based tech companies (certainly those in Bellevue) will have a similar culture, it's more expected than not. Valve has other cool perks like personal trainers for employees though.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This thread really made some pieces of shit come out of the woodwork, holy shit.

No one needs to fucking crunch. It's a barbaric practise proven time and time again to decrease productivity , not increase it.

"But they don't release games that I like every 1 to 2 years so they are lazy and the worst."
*smh*

I shouldn't be surprised anymore that a positive thread and a positive message gets shitposted to hell here, just because it is about Valve.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I kinda wonder how many people are working on Artifact because apparently its getting quite stagnant.

The only other company who could probably pull off something like this (work/life balance) would be Blizzard...IF they weren't being ground to dust under Kotick's heel.
Eh, there are many, many companies who don't work under strict deadlines and have great work/life balance and benefits.
Crunch is very specific to a particular type of developer (generally console/multiplat AAA or shitty indie with overbearing leadership).

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish some of you would just come out and say why you want to say- "I'm entitled a new Valve game and I'm entitled to it now!"

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is valve time still a thing even? I honestly have no idea, not into their online/multiplayer offerings.
Yes, it is. They've promised lots of improvements for Steam (including Client/UI update) but they still haven't delivered it.

They work on lots of things, but most of their works aren't displayed on a spotlight.

Which simply a further prove of how much people here hate Valve/Steam.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's good to hear that she has a good life balance working there.
Although I have still my doubts that Valve's workplace really has changed for good after reading all the tweets from Rich Geldreich last year.

Oh that was the guy who was twitting shit and had to walk it back a day later and say he wasn't really talking about valve.

Gosh i wonder what he's up to now.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked at Valve. It was great. There are other pressures unrelated to work/life balance, symptomatic of the culture, but it was never problematic for me. I know of others who felt differently.

It's really a magical thing to not be beholden to absolutely anyone but your own interest. The smartest things Valve has ever done: only worked on properties it owns outright and never gone public or taken on outside investment. It's truly a special placed filled with very, very talented and special people -- some of the best I've had the pleasure of working with in my career.

If mods need verification on this claim please feel free to reach out via PM, I dunno what's cool to claim without proof and what's not.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It's great they have a good work/life balance at Valve though that combined with their lack of communcation can quickly become very frustrating.

I'm a big TF2 fan. The last really big update they did was in October of 2017 (2018 only saw a smaller scale update of content they couldn't finish in time for that update in March and a mostly community created Halloween event in October). What are they working on for TF2? Porting the game to Source 2? A Heavy update they hinted at back in 2016? Something else? Not working on it at all?
No idea. Not even a hint. I understand stuff can change in development and not wanting to make promises for stuff that might change but they really need to get better at communication.

I worked at Valve. It was great. There are other pressures unrelated to work/life balance, symptomatic of the culture, but it was never problematic for me. I know of others who felt differently.

It's really a magical thing to not be beholden to absolutely anyone but your own interest. The smartest things Valve has ever done: only worked on properties it owns outright and never gone public or taken on outside investment. It's truly a special placed filled with very, very talented and special people -- some of the best I've had the pleasure of working with in my career.

If mods need verification on this claim please feel free to reach out via PM, I dunno what's cool to claim without proof and what's not.

Did you work on TF2 at all and if so what did you work on for the game?

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
Oh that was the guy who was twitting shit and had to walk it back a day later and say he wasn't really talking about valve.

Gosh i wonder what he's up to now.

I have no idea if he was bullshitting or not with his tweets (only the people who have worked at Valve knows that), but it was pretty entertaining to read his point of view on the politics there.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yes, it is. They've promised lots of improvements for Steam (including Client/UI update) but they still haven't delivered it.

They work on lots of things, but most of their works aren't displayed on a spotlight.
They have been rolling out updates, but not just everything at one time with big fanfare. Wishlists and chat have already been overhauled, of course there's been a lot of changes to the store's frontpage too. Personally I quite like it that way, easier to adapt when it's not all done at once. Like even with the chat, my first thought was if it's possible to keep using the old one. Now I hardly even remember how it used to be!

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
They have been rolling out updates, but not just everything at one time with big fanfare. Wishlists and chat have already been overhauled, of course there's been a lot of changes to the store's frontpage too.

Seems like a bit more fanfare wouldn't hurt though. I'm quite a Steam fan, but I hardly know what they're up to. I still think a lot of people don't even know Steam input is a thing.

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
So they can just join whatever project they want freely and whenever they feel like? Sounds kinda good, also sounds like much wouldn't get done. It's no wonder most of their games are on a smaller scale.

Image RDR2 or botw type game being made with that structure.

edit: played halflife 2 on my bros PC yearsssss ago wow rip

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Steam blog is decent place to follow the updates (if anyone knows anything better, let me know too!). Latest is regarding DLC browsing (11.1). https://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_blog
Yeah, this is what I meant that their works aren't being displayed on Spotlight. They take them as granted, or simply don't realize (or care) that they've been working on them. People simply don't see them as work, because those are not game development. People only care if Valve is working on games, not Steam, as we can see clearly from this thread.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, this is what I meant that their works aren't being displayed on Spotlight. They take them as granted, or simply don't realize (or care) that they've been working on them. People simply don't see them as work, because those are not game development. People only care if Valve is working on games, not Steam, as we can see clearly from this thread.
Yeah and also the actual games get dismissed, as we had some really arbitrary definitions laid out earlier in this thread why Valve "didn't develop" Dota 2, TF2 etc. and their latest release (Artifact) didn't even get acknowledged.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Most AAA studios have an ongoing source of revenue in lootboxes and microtransactions and still treat their staff like garbage. So it's good to see Valve isn't in that boat.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are all games developed by valve. They have committed game development.
End of story. It doesnt fucking matter that dota 2 is a sequel when everything about it from the netcode to assets were created by valve. It doesnt make it any less of a valve game when 100% of the development has happened by valve, under valve, for valve.

It matters when they bought the concept from someone else. CounterStrike is another example of them buying up a mod of one of their existing games. I'm sorry I have a concept of the context behind their games.

What is it with you folks that they need to diminish anything that's not a singleplayer game as "not a valve game".

When did I say this? I never said they weren't Valve games, again I added context as to how they came to be Valve games.

Going by your argument, valve has never made a single fucking game before because it can be applied to all valve games ever created bar half life.

Not like any of this matter because originality of an ip has nothing to do whatsoever with the question of wether or not a dev still develops games

It's like developing a studio from scratch vs. outright buying the studio. They are two totally different things and when you mention games from 2000 as an example of recent output and demonstrate hostility when people point this out, I have to question your motivation here. I don't and will never agree with crunch or lazy devs type rhetoric. Video game development is incredibly hard and I would never diminish the work of programmers, designers, testers, etc.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Christ this thread is embarrassing. The discourse around Valve was forever tainted here and the old place because they were so instrumental in the modern rise of PC gaming, and that still pisses off people who wanted the landscape to just be their favorite platforms and nothing else.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It matters when they bought the concept from someone else. CounterStrike is another example of them buying up a mod of one of their existing games. I'm sorry I have a concept of the context behind their games.

When did I say this? I never said they weren't Valve games, again I added context as to how they came to be Valve games.

It's like developing a studio from scratch vs. outright buying the studio. They are two totally different things and when you mention games from 2000 as an example of recent output and demonstrate hostility when people point this out, I have to question your motivation here. I don't and will never agree with crunch or lazy devs type rhetoric. Video game development is incredibly hard and I would never diminish the work of programmers, designers, testers, etc.

I'm incredibly tired of seeing literal hundreds of people constantly dismissing games like Dota 2 in literally any valve or steam thread with "omg that's not a real videogame" garbage shitposts of which there already have been multiple ones in this thread as well, if i misunderstood the argument you were making, i apologize for appearing hostile.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah that definitely seems like a positive work life balance. Wonder if the power dynamics have changed there.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he means that because Valves main thing is not to make games, they get most of their money from Steam so it doesnt really matter how their games sell.
If they were only making games to make $ then it would be different.

The companies that do this successfully have a business outside of games-making.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea if he was bullshitting or not with his tweets (only the people who have worked at Valve knows that), but it was pretty entertaining to read his point of view on the politics there.

I remember the thing from and year and i thought he seemed like a guy maybe gettin too caried away. Definitely has a problem with valve that doesn't stop at just professional, tho.

Christ this thread is embarrassing. The discourse around Valve was forever tainted here and the old place because they were so instrumental in the modern rise of PC gaming, and that still pisses off people who wanted the landscape to just be their favorite platforms and nothing else.

Is that it?

Maybe that's it? I've been wondering. There's something underneath it all.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It sure is a lot easier to do this when you have an incredible source of ongoing revenue.

Most of silicon valley subscribes to the "employees are disposable resources" and basically forces insane conditions on their employees. So even if somebody wanted to argue the non-sense that Valve isn't a gaming company, their peers outside of gaming are scummy too. No amount of gymnastics changes the fact they should be commended for encouraging an actual life.

So they can just join whatever project they want freely and whenever they feel like? Sounds kinda good, also sounds like much wouldn't get done. It's no wonder most of their games are on a smaller scale.

Image RDR2 or botw type game being made with that structure.

edit: played halflife 2 on my bros PC yearsssss ago wow rip

And let's just appreciate that a ton of these AAA games have development staffs that are like 900 people strong. That's more than 2X the size of the entire Valve company. People just have unrealistic expectations about what's possible here. For Valve to create a single-player game that competed in that AAA space, it would be the same homogeneous design as all the other AAA titles (if they didn't want to lose massive amounts of money on it). It'd need to be exploitative and everything else people hate about modern AAA. So it wouldn't be old Valve games with prettier graphics anyways. That's not a market I'm sad to see Valve exit. I just hope the smaller stuff is still possible (here's hoping the three VR games are real and just being held back for the HMD unveil).

I remember the thing from and year and i thought he seemed like a guy maybe gettin too caried away. Definitely has a problem with valve that doesn't stop at just professional, tho.

Is that it?

Maybe that's it? I've been wondering. There's something underneath it all.

I really don't think there's any other rational explanation for it. Nothing would foster such irrational contempt unless it was rooted in jealousy.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't think there's any other rational explanation for it. Nothing would foster such irrational contempt unless it was rooted in jealousy.

I knew there was something underlying. I'm still not sure this is the correct model. My theory was that valve was sort of an intersection of uuuhhh hate, I guess. I would say criticism, but the criticisms are so uuhhhh hateful lol. They have stepped on toes or tangentially threatened so many different groups and companies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Really sad that this is an exception in the videogame industry. It amazes me that videogame software developers stick around in that sector, because... that's the norm in general software development.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Most of silicon valley subscribes to the "employees are disposable resources" and basically forces insane conditions on their employees. So even if somebody wanted to argue the non-sense that Valve isn't a gaming company, their peers outside of gaming are scummy too. No amount of gymnastics changes the fact they should be commended for encouraging an actual life.

I don't think that this is true, at least not anymore. It's certainly true of startup culture, but outside of startup culture in the software industry, the norm these days is a rejection of 1990s-work-to-die mentality. I work for a mid-major software company and have interviewed at other major/mid-major software companies, and almost all of them stress healthy work/life balance these days, and talking with employees seems to back that up. I straight up won't remotely entertain a place that expects me to give up my family or social life to make some arbitrary stupid deadline that no customers even care about, and I think most engineers are like me -- these days.

But, I think the 'startup culture' is so pervasive in our industry, that companies that aren't startups might want to be perceived as startups, or something. But most of the major software companies gave up on that.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
That is pretty fantastic for Valve employees. Wish other game publishers and developers would take note and follow the valve example. People may complain about release dates and shit. But honestly I'd rather the people that make the shit I love have a chance to have a life they can love as well. Instead losing time stuck in an office late into the day burning out on game development.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Trolling
I mean when you put out 1 game since 2013, yeah I imagine you get a good work-life balance.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Surely, you jest?

There's more that seriously believe there's a jealous "console peasant" conspiracy going on vs the supreme majesty of Windows PCs and that's why Valve is occasionally criticised around here? Fucking hell, yes there are some embarrassing posts in here from the lazy devs rhetoeic through to this shit above.

Its good that some Valve employees seem to be happy with the working conditions although I've noticed that those who spend longer at Valve tend to leave more negative reviews on Glass door and similar compared to those who have been around a year or so. I recall one mentioning long hours there but can't access it now as I don't have the log in, I would hope it means no enforced crunch but other development studios have also not directly stated mandatory crunch yet encourage a toxic culture whereby those that object to poor conditions and pressure are ostracized and eventually replaced by those willing (usually younger, hungrier devs who will tolerate this to get their foot in the door). I think it also relates to why we haven't seen industry unionization just yet.

Still, it's nice to hear of happy developers for a change. Long may it continue.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I mean when you put out 1 game since 2013, yeah I imagine you get a good work-life balance.

Are you pretending they don't constantly work on and develop other things? Features? Live-Service games? Host tournaments? Broker deals? Backend? VR advancements that benefit the ENTIRE industry? Proton? Free and Opensource projects that also benefit the ENTIRE industry?

Or are you just trolling? Maybe pull your head out of thine ass, mhm?