• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is probably the most efficient company in the industry and is well renowned for its work/life balance. Gigantic games like AC Odyssey were made without crunch.

So no, I'm not convinced that working at glacial pace on unambitious projects is something to applaud them for.
Ubisoft is also literally 40 times bigger than Valve so...

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Valve isnt forcing other pubs and devs to crunch.

"Damn Valve and their.... good work-life balance!"

If games were published and sold at an healthier pace, Valve wouldn't be able to distance itself from crunch-mentalities.

"Valve time" becomes a praiseworthy thing when in-house software is the most important voice in Valve's earnings and is produced and released at that relaxing, crunch-free pace that employees get to enjoy-

"Valve time" is not a praiseworthy thing when it means "we don't really need to do crunch because others do it for us".

How would you react if this same message came from a GameStop employee? "I don't get why people complain about crunch and stress in the videogame business, I work 8 hours a day tops". This woman is comparing her experience as someone who doesn't need to create games to have a salary to that of those who do.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
"Other people work hard so we don't have to" -Valve Time

How does having good work-life balance mean they are not working hard?

The company literally launched a game last year.
They are working on Valley of the Gods.
They are updating their decade old games like CS, DOTA, TF2.
They are updating their VR plattform every week and adding more and more headsets.
They worked on Proton so people can play Windows games on Linux.
They updated their Chat system to be more like Discord.
They added more and more controller suport.
They developed a SteamLink App for Android devices and iOS (that was rejected by Apple).
They are developing new hardware (Knuckles controllers) and an own VR headset.
They updated the internet café Steam licences/versions.

That happened all in 2018.

"tHeY dOnT wOrK hArD".

How would you react if this same message came from a GameStop employee? "I don't get why people complain about crunch and stress in the videogame business, I work 8 hours a day tops". This woman is comparing her experience as someone who doesn't need to create games to have a salary to that of those who do.

The Valve employee didnt say "I dont get why people complain about crunch". She said that the work-life balance at the company she is working for is good.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, do the people "blaming" Valve for profiting off other people's work - and thus are able to offer a good work/life balance - also apply the same to other situations.

For example, retail chain stores that treat their workers well wouldn't be in a position to do that without cheap garment manufacturing in foreign countries. Car assembly plants that treat their workforce well wouldn't be able to do that, either, without the manufacture of parts in places that don't/can't offer the same work/life balance.

Because otherwise you're just a bunch of hypocrites ripping apart a company that is actually doing some good in this industry,

I mean, that manufactured quote of yours is perfectly fine and understandable from an employee of a retail store (I should know, I've worked retail). Lack of understanding does not denote a lack of empathy.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Ubisoft is also literally 40 times bigger than Valve so...
As a consumer I shouldn't really care.

Isn't insomniac also really small? Spiderman was also without crunch.

Simply put it Valve is an extremely unproductive company whose "innovation" culture ended on a bunch of people working on prototypes forever.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dude. Fuck you. Wtf. Like seriously.

"How dare people have decent work times while I don't get mah GAMEZ?!"

jfc

The post you're quoting doesn't say what you imply.

Valve is, at this point, a storefront first, a service company second, and a software company as a late third. You can't compare the working experience at Valve to that of people who actually need to release games to get paid. If Valve stuck to making games only they couldn't afford Valve time.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I do the people "blaming" Valve for profiting off other people's work - and thus are able to offer a good work/life balance - also apply the same to other situations.

For example, retail chain stores that treat their workers well wouldn't be in a position to do that without cheap garment manufacturing in foreign countries. Car assembly plants that treat their workforce well wouldn't be able to do that, either, without the manufacture of parts in places that don't/can't offer the same work/life balance.

Because otherwise you're just a bunch of hypocrites ripping apart a company that is actually doing some good in this industry,

This is precisely the example I made.

I work in the fashion industry. It's made of relatively well off people working for absurdely rich people to sell stuff that is made by people who are borderline slaves. And I'd jump on anyone suggesting this is an industry with healthy working conditions all the same.

How would you react if a store owner said "People say we have it easy because we don't have to work under life-threatening conditions in tinctories, but I just call it having an healthy work environment*?

* we still sell the stuff made by those people, btw."

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
What the hell some replies in this thread

Every fucking company should have life/work balance and no crunch at all.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Valve is, at this point, a storefront first, a service company second, and a software company as a late third. You can't compare the working experience at Valve to that of people who actually need to release games to get paid. If Valve stuck to making games only they couldn't afford Valve time.

But how can other game companies do this then without extreme amount of work? Here in Sweden, like Paradox, where it would be illegal to do overtime as some companies do.

It is all about management and planning.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
Didn't Valve have issues with their work culture because since no one was a clear boss, people tended started to create "high school cliques" where if you weren't in line with them, they would make your work very hard? or it was just a rumor?

It seems that it is still the case, if you read Glassdoor reviews.

I really don't eat up Valve's marketing.
I mean, I understand why they are doing it: they need a shitload of new fresh employees due to the constant turnover, which is why they hire a lot of freshman from universities-schools.

The case of Campo-Santo may be different since their arrangement must be working only on proper Valve games, so they don't need to do grunt work.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

They're maintaining 3 active multiplayer titles, handling the biggest PC Store and videogame backend, developping the biggest VR API on the market. But yeah "they are doing nothing".

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
How would you react if a store owner said "People say we have it easy because we don't have to work under life-threatening conditions in tinctories, but I just call it having an healthy work environment*?

Thats not what Jane is saying though. She says how she experiences working at Valve and she thinks it should be normal like that in 1st world country.

DanCon

Oct 30, 2017
i work for a somewhat flat structure company also, they key to having a company like this work is being able to identify and hire individuals who are very driven and able to work well autonomously. small teams that communicate really well is very important. so to attract experienced individuals that can work well like this we offer things like unlimited holiday, 3 free meals a day and as im writing this i can see a masseuse setting up.... yeah its certainly not your normal company, but it works :)

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread really made some pieces of shit come out of the woodwork, holy shit.

No one needs to fucking crunch. It's a barbaric practise proven time and time again to decrease productivity , not increase it.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
We're not even capable of discussing a positive thread about developer work conditions without the usual Valve shit posts. For fuck's sake.

One of the worst place to bring up "lazy dev" memes and yet, plenty of our esteemed ERA members cannot hold back. But then, all hope for decent discourse is lost when you look at the recent "Epic Store" threads.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thats not what Jane is saying though. She says how she experiences working at Valve and she thinks it should be normal like that in 1st world country.

The problem is that if that was normal, she wouldn't get to have such a relaxing working experience.

Valve is a middleman. If you improve working conditions for people who actually create goods, and you don't increase prices, then the people who "pay" for those better conditions are the employers and the middlemen.

Unless she's advocating for some sort of "happy degrowth" of the industry where less games are published and sold, and thus games are created at a more relaxed pace. Good luck with that.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No one needs to fucking crunch. It's a barbaric practise proven time and time again to decrease productivity , not increase it.

This is... largely not true, but what's undeniable is that if crunch becomes a standard, your production cycle is not healthy. The pervasiveness of crunch as a production standard in the videogame industry is a massive problem and something the industry itself suffers from. I don't think anybody is debating that.

The problem is advocating that "Valve time" is actually a functional, alternative production model when it's something that you can only afford when actually creating games isn't your primary business.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The problem is advocating that "Valve time" is actually a functional, alternative production model when it's something that you can only afford when actually creating games isn't your primary business.

I would argue that creating games doesnt require crunch. Most of the games developed in middle europe are bound to EU laws. The folks I know at Ubisoft talk about a great work-life balance.
The guy I know who worked on the FF12 remaster (in China) was having a normal work day.
From what I know Piranha Bytes has a normal work life balance while also taking years for their games to come out.

It just seems to some other pubs/devs it became so normalized that they dont believe "It doesnt work any other way."

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great, but please make dates you can hit

The 9 years till TF2 was seriously crazy

As a matter of fact if you all are comfortable enough, why not start marketing when the game is actually done?

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would argue that creating games doesnt require crunch. Most of the games developed in middle europe are bound to EU laws. The folks I know at Ubisoft talk about a great work-life balance.
The guy I know who worked on the FF12 remaster (in China) was having a normal work day.
From what I know Piranha Bytes has a normal work life balance while also taking years for their games to come out.

It just seems to some other pubs/devs it became so normalized that they dont believe "It doesnt work any other way."

And I'd support your argument as rational. Crunch has a function but it's an emergency practice, not a standard. If you crunch all the time, then you're understaffed or you lack equipollent talent.

Ubisoft is probably big enough to be able to not afford crunch. However, people who need to compete with Ubisofts and similar giants probably feel they can only do so through crunch. The big risk of imposing working standard, as usual, is that of making the "big fishes" even more advantaged.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice for the families, sure. Then again, they have developed Episode 3 for close to 12 years now. If everyone had the same development times, we would've gotten Resident Evil 1 in 2004, Resident Evil 2 in 2016 and Resident Evil 3 would come out in 2028.
They have absolutely not, they just unofficially cancelled it and pretended it never existed.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is... largely not true, but what's undeniable is that if crunch becomes a standard, your production cycle is not healthy. The pervasiveness of crunch as a production standard in the videogame industry is a massive problem and something the industry itself suffers from. I don't think anybody is debating that.

Is that why several game companies can do it just fine and pump out several games a year without crunch?

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by Trolling
When you're a game dev (Valuve) that doesn't release games i guess it achievable to have empty offices at 5:30 ? :P

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If games were published and sold at an healthier pace, Valve wouldn't be able to distance itself from crunch-mentalities.

"Valve time" becomes a praiseworthy thing when in-house software is the most important voice in Valve's earnings and is produced and released at that relaxing, crunch-free pace that employees get to enjoy-

"Valve time" is not a praiseworthy thing when it means "we don't really need to do crunch because others do it for us".

You guys are god damn insane. Ban me. I don't care. Just make it perma if you do. FFS.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina

This happens too in the VFX industry.
A lot of people that work on these industries are passion-driven, which is good, but they can be easily abused by upper management since they are somewhat young & can endure that kind of job pressure (for a while).

They can afford to keep doing that "Valve time" mantra since they are still racking on cash (and they will keep doing that for a time)

Although, I think that creating games was never their main business plan;
They saw that gaming was an important factor to get people invested into a platform, so they went by that. And they have succeeded.
Their main competition was always Microsoft, and still is.

However, now with Epic Games giving them headaches by snatching exclusive 3rd parties games, I'm pretty sure Valve's "unofficial" upper management (along with Gaben) are pushing its employees to fast track games and their APIs/Linux/Hardware efforts.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell some replies in this thread

Every fucking company should have life/work balance and no crunch at all.

People in the thread for the most part aren't disagreeing with this statement. They're disagreeing with holding Valve as the company that best exemplifies this. There are other games made by other studios without crunch, those should be.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
People in the thread for the most part aren't disagreeing with this statement. They're disagreeing with holding Valve as the company that best exemplifies this. There are other games made by other studios without crunch, those should be.

Is Jane working at any of those other studios? She, and as such this thread, is using valve as an example because that's the place she just started working at and is talking about.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that if that was normal, she wouldn't get to have such a relaxing working experience.

Valve is a middleman. If you improve working conditions for people who actually create goods, and you don't increase prices, then the people who "pay" for those better conditions are the employers and the middlemen.

Are you under the impression Valve has any say in how much (non-Valve) games are sold for? Because, as I understand your argument, the real people to blame are the devs and pubs who could increase game prices to offset better working conditions but don't (R*, Sony, MS, ActBlizz), and the devs/pubs who require a game to be out the door during a certain financial quarter (those same companies) to satiate shareholders and projected earnings, thus forcing crunch. Yes, Valve profit from the games other people produce, but they have no say in either those games costs, or the development procedures.

Does being a private company with a retail arm allow Valve the flexibility for better working conditions? Yes. But it seems weird that people are attacking Valve for this, when it would be a better idea to argue for industry-wide non-crunch practices and unionisation as a means of protecting workers.

Edit: Are you arguing that Valve should use their position to force other companies to not crunch? If you are, I think the only way that is feasible would be if they created a union, auto-opting in all Valve staff, and then issued a statement saying that the industry needs to move away from abusive/coercive working conditions. Which I would be all in favour of, btw.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, that's great for Valve and all, but they're basically the only company in the industry that has the luxury of not having to produce games and still making tons of money.

Small devs have way more pressure to produce content, most large devs are accountable to stockholders. If they don't produce good content on a regular basis, then they can't exist. Valve can put out stinkers for a decade and it wouldn't matter.

I'm all for everyone having better work/life balance, but it's not like many places can emulate Valve.

I mean, maybe if publishers and developers got a better cut of sales then conditions could be better?

Last edited:

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Valve has Fuck You Money for years and good on them for using it in a proper manner.

I long ago stopped caring or playing whatever Valve says/do/make, and I understand the frustrations many people here have expressed with them. But at the end of the day, they are private company, they have the luxury to do whatever the fuck they want, no matter how much the Internet screams. I already moved on from my love for the company, but that doesn't mean I want them to crunch or fail or make a "worthwhile" game anymore, glad I'm beyond it and more people should do that.

I'm happy now that they are using their money and power to make the lifes of their employees better in an industry known for being absolute shit to the wonderful people who produces the worlds we love.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Valve has Fuck You Money for years and good on them for using in a proper manner.

I long ago stopped caring or playing whatever Valve says/do/make, and I understand the frustrations many people here have expressed with the company. But at the end of the day, they are private company, they have the luxury to do whatever the fuck they want, no matter how much the Internet screams. I already moved on from my love for the company, but that doesn't mean I want them to crunch or fail or make a "worthwhile" game anymore, glad I'm beyond it and more people should do that.

I'm happy now that they are using their money and power to make the lifes of their employees better in an industry known for being absolute shit to the wonderful people who produces the worlds we love.

This dude/dudette won the internet for today.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
User Banned (1 day): Lazy dev rhetoric
I would imagine some are terribly mistaken on the context here. Valve hasn't produced anything of note in quite some time. Their 30% cut from all game sales on the worlds largest video game storefront gives Valve employees that luxury.

The reason we don't have HL3/4/5 or CS2,TF3, etc. is due to Steam.

They don't need to worry about deadlines or crunch to survive.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Is valve time still a thing even? I honestly have no idea, not into their online/multiplayer offerings.

Oct 27, 2017
If games took long because of this I'd have no problem, the industry would just need to stop announcing everything so far away and bring back middle tier games to fill the void.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
"Valve doesn't make games anymore"

Who fucking cares. They make the best digital platform in the business, which revitalized the PC space. They actively encourage initiatives that better not just the PC space but gaming in its entirety. They put their time into features no one else even bothers with, like controller support.

If Valve never released another game I wouldn't care.