• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the premium cable network has recruited Issa Lopez (Tigers Are Not Afraid, Secondary Effects) to pen a script for a new cycle that has been dubbed True Detective: Night Country. Additionally, Barry Jenkins is attached to exec produce the anthology. Should season four move forward — it's currently in development — Lopez would direct the pilot in addition to serving as an exec producer.

HBO declined comment as deals have not yet been formalized. Season one stars Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are expected to return as executive producers as they had been on all three previous seasons of the Emmy-winning HBO show. Jenkins, who moved his overall deal to HBO last April after a few years at Amazon, will exec produce via his Pastel banner with the company's Adele Romanski and Mark Ceryak also on board as EPs. Anonymous Content will again produce.

Pizzolatto will also likely be credited as an exec producer though he is not expected to formally involved in a fourth season. Pizzolatto, who created the anthology, sources previously told THR in January 2020 that the showrunner met with execs at HBO and all parties agreed that it was time to part ways. He inked his first overall pact with HBO pegged to the debut of True Detective and renewed that deal twice. HBO owns the rights to True Detective and, since Pizzolatto's departure, left the door open to revisit the show with a new writer and central producer at the helm as it looks explore different points of view. (Pizzolatto, since leaving HBO, re-teamed with McConaughey for FX series Redeemer as part of an overall deal with the cabler. The series did not move forward and Pizzolatto negotiated an early exit from his FX pact.)

what a fucking upgrade!

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, Barry Jenkins is attached to exec produce the anthology.

dont-sleep-just-dream.gif

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I liked seasons 1 and 3 and hopefully with a less toxic showrunner they can make a stellar 4th season.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Glad to hear they're not giving up on the show. I enjoyed Season 3 quite a bit, and I'm always down for more gritty crime drama, especially since Mindhunter is basically dead in the ground.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Worth catching up on season 3? I was so put off by s2, I only bothered with like one or two eps of s3.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was just remembering how fucking great the first season was via youtube clips (3 was goddamn solid too) and considering a re-watch.

I'm totally in for whatever this turns out to be.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first season, watched only a couple of episodes from the second season then stopped becuase it was not nearly as riveting, and never saw the third season.

Any good reasons to watch seasons 2 or 3?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Worth catching up on season 3? I was so put off by s2, I only bothered with like one or two eps of s3.

Loved the first season, watched only a couple of episodes from the second season then stopped becuase it was not nearly as riveting, and never saw the third season.

Any good reasons to watch seasons 2 or 3?

2 is worth watching solely to see Pizzolato disappear completely up his own ass. It's truly something to behold.

3 is really solid. It's restrained and low key. It doesn't reach 1's highs but it's a really nice return to form.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to give it a shot. Loved season 1, season 3 was quite good too. Sounds like an upgrade in terms of producers and writers this time.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No Pizzolatto is interesting. Didn't think they'd do more without him, but then the show name still has some value compared to some brand new detective show.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Good. It only had one bad season. Season 1 was amazing and Season 3 was great but weak landing.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Tigers Are Not Afraid is amazing, so I am way more excited for this than I ever expected to be about more of this show. It basically scarier Pan's Labyrinth.

I thought it was fine. If you want a solid detective/mystery show it's a decent watch, but it's not phenomenal.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
It's good. Doesn't reach the highs of the first season, but it isn't unequivocally awful like the second. Mahershala Ali is excellent, as always.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
What I liked about S2 was how it never felt it was doing a S1 impression. The pilot for S3 was like the exact opposite, and boring too. Does the season change a lot or is that a good indicator?

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Season 1 is one of the best seasons of any television show that I have ever seen. Think Season 2 is actually underrated. Colin Ferrel as Ray Velcoro never leaves me not entertained

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So season 3 is worth a watch? I haven't watched yet, season 2 was REALLY bad.

maybe an unpopular opinion but the only reason imo the show was any good was the chemistry of Woody + McC + the creepy ass vibes of Bayou Louisiana season 1, I think it was lightning in a bottle and I'm not sure you could ever really replicate it.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So season 3 is worth a watch? I haven't watched yet, season 2 was REALLY bad.

maybe an unpopular opinion but the only reason imo the show was any good was the chemistry of Woody + McC + the creepy ass vibes of Bayou Louisiana season 1, I think it was lightning in a bottle and I'm not sure you could ever really replicate it.

Depending on who you ask it's either good with flaws or it's really damn good.

I think it's really damn good. More of a focus on characters than an intricate plot.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Hope its better than the last 2. Season 2 was ludicrous, and 3 was just bland.

I guess 1 only worked because pizza man could rip of Ligotti.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
You're in Carcosa now.

Season 1 is a masterpiece. Season 2 is a masterpiece of memes. Season 3 is pretty stellar.

Season 1 is probably the best single season of television for me - it is like the stars aligned for it in terms of writing, casting, acting, directing; everyone involved was firing on all cylinders. Season 2.... I mean what can you say, it is full on so-bad-its-good but the whole thing is quite tragic in terms of actual quality against season 1, it was rushed out the door and was completely under-baked but we got a solid Farrell performance and a hell of a lot of unintentional comedy gold from it (I firmly believe somewhere in there is a potential good season, but yeah what we got ain't it). Season 3 wasn't as incredible as 1, and it didn't give us the comedic car-crash of season 2, instead it was a more straight forward albeit pretty damn good crime drama.

I think given time, and some editorial oversight, Nic is a fantastic writer so while it is a shame to not have him involved Barry Jenkins is an amazing film maker so I have total faith in him delivering something great. I'm not familiar with Issa Lopez's work but seems she got pretty critical acclaim for a crime fantasy horror film so she is definitely an interesting pick.

I just want me some more True Detective.

smile-shee-it.gif

55c816a5169027501c6f13d4_td-salute.gif

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
They will never reach the awe-inspiring highs of S01. S02 was classic for how terrible it was lmao

And S03 was incredibly solid all the way thru but missing the magic, all of the magic, from the first season.

This show is at the very least a lot of fun even when it straight up sucks lol

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Barry Jenkins is such an insane score. He's perfect for the material (moonlight and Underground have such a wonderful sense of magic realism) and I have no doubt hell kill it. I like pizza man's work on season one and three but I'm more excited for this than I was season three with a writers workshop

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god, I say. Thank god.
He's such a hack. MC carried his clunky dialogue and it only worked because Woody could play the audience surrogate and give us the "this dudes nuts" winks.

On its own we get apoplectic hungry man not eating sharks or whatever the fuck Vince was doing.

Nic is a fantastic writer
Is he though? So much of S1 was carried by borrowed lovecraftion tropes, some outright plagiarised material, the direction, cinematography and performances.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 was comedy gold, even if I thought it was terrible, I don't regret watching it one bit, shit was hilarious. Don't sleep on it people

gallery_1.jpg

Yes, it's a real quote of the serie

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
More attention should be given to Issa Lopez who would write and direct, rather than Jenkins who would just be an EP.

Feb 16, 2022
I quite liked Season 3. Strong performance from Mahershala.

If he wasn't in Season 3 already, I would have wanted Ray Fisher to star in Season 4. Dude's got solid acting chops.