• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all you people crying about spoilers need to stfu. if we can't talk about characters shown in trailers then we might as well ban all threads about starwars or any media related to it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think it's a "trick" in the sense that he's still dead, he's at best some sort of Force Ghost thing, and that his presence will basically be exposition for "BEHOLD THIS WAS MY PLAN ALL ALONG AND THIS WILL PROVE THAT THE JEDI WILL NEVER WIN!!!!!!"
Even if it's just some sort of ghost, I still think we are going to physically see him in addition to hearing lines from him. They made a big deal bringing McDiarmid out on stage when they announced the title and confirmed he is actually in the movie. There is also what seems like a pretty clear over the shoulder/behind the back shot of him on some sort of throne looking down on Rey that has been in several trailers/spots now.

This shot:

Palpatine-Rey-Header-1200x676.png

Plum

May 31, 2018
Guys like 2 people have seriously complained about the thread title and one of them has literally said that they're gonna back down. Is there really any need for pages of angry shouting down sessions when the rules officially state that those complaining are in the wrong?

Lets get back to complaining about how dumb it is to bring back Sheev.

Because holy shit is it dumb.

And he's probably gonna be a cyborg or something just to show that Vader did some damage.

So dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, the sacrifice of Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi and bringing balance to the Force, we still had to honor that and I think we do honor that in the film.

Did he pull a "Black Bush" and knock over the water pitcher and run out the room after saying that??!?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Stupid question: are there "ghosts" equivalents for the Siths in Star Wars canon?
Yes their spirits can possess objects and people. One dark side user called Momin (he didn't go by Darth) had his spirit inside of his mask and could possess anyone who wore it. So they can linger but they can't go around doing whatever they want like jedi ghosts.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Even if it's just some sort of ghost, I still think we are going to physically see him in addition to hearing lines from him. They made a big deal bringing McDiarmid out on stage when they announced the title and confirmed he is actually in the movie. There is also what seems like a pretty clear over the shoulder/behind the back shot of him on some sort of throne looking down on Rey that has been in several trailers/spots now.
Oh yes he's definitely in the movie. I'm just saying I don't think that this is a case of "oh the Emperor survived death and is the true villain who must be defeated in battle" sort of thing. Or maybe it is!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Guys like 2 people have seriously complained about the thread title. Is there really any need for pages of angry shouting down sessions when the rules officially state that those complaining are in the wrong?

Lets get back to complaining about how dumb it is to bring back Sheev.

Because holy shit is it dumb.

And he's gona be a cyborg or something just to show that Vader did some damage.

So dumb.
Dead characters return all the time in Star Wars. We've been fed nostalgia bait since the first trailers for TFA. Papy Teen coming home isn't that dumb in the broader context.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Dead characters return all the time in Star Wars. We've been fed nostalgia bait since the first trailers for TFA. Papy Teen coming home isn't that dumb in the broader context.

Maybe in spin offs and such but AFAIK no confirmed dead character has re-appeared in a mainline Star Wars film (as an actual physical character instead of a ghost) unless you count Solo as 'mainline.'

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Calling him the "Justice League" writer is cruel lol

Not a word of his script was used

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a reality check: this is a kids movie about ninja space wizards that primarily exists to sell merchandise. When the topic at hand is an actual life or death matter feel free to claim some moral high ground. Until then, might I politely suggest you get over yourself?
You think this is life or death for me? You might be reading a little bit more into this than you should be, with your ironic fingerpointing haha Thanks for the comedy though :)

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think this is life or death for me? You might be reading a little bit more into this than you should be, with your ironic fingerpointing haha Thanks for the comedy though :)

Thank you for proving my point that this is an unwinnable battle when jokers like you make the stink about spoilers, try to argue the point with some "so we should stop trying" nonsense, then make some hamfisted attempt to seem above it all with laughter and smiley faces.

Where is the ignore button...

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha man spoiler city

I mean it's hard to avoid but you have to figure some people haven't heard

Would this be so much worse of a title?

'The Rise Of Skywalker' Co-Writer Chris Terrio On Bringing Back Old Characters *spoilers*

Some people don't watch those!

The likelihood of someone deep enough into Star Wars to care yet gets all their Star Wars news from ResetEra and somehow ignores every other YouTube, Twitter and Facebook mention of it is a stretch.

Oct 27, 2017
Alternate universe:

Coming holiday 2019, STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE EMPEROR

Some people: "wtf Paramount? You spoiled the movie!"

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The work that is most representative of Chris Terrio's writing at this point is Argo, which was pretty damn good.

"Argo-fuck yourself!"

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
modern movie trailers reveal way too much on a regular basis (something many people agree on, including directors), which makes the "it's not a spoiler because it's in the trailer" argument a weird one.

a lot of people skip trailers, especially for films where mystery is part of the appeal.

all of that being said, the fact those characters are on the poster as well means that Disney has basically made the decision for you in this particular case. you will get spoiled and there is nary a thing you can do about it unfortunately.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for proving my point that this is an unwinnable battle when jokers like you make the stink about spoilers, try to argue the point with some "so we should stop trying" nonsense, then make some hamfisted attempt to seem above it all with laughter and smiley faces.

Where is the ignore button...
I already admitted I was wrong and have stopped complaining about spoilers? What more do you want from me? Please do ignore me, I literally don't need you in my life.

You're the type of person to yell at the cinema staff because they had a poster of Star Wars with Palpatine on it as you walked in to watch it.
Hahaha OK. I have already said I see that I am not in the right as per Resetera rules. I'm bailing on this thread. Y'all win.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Terrio didn't even write BvS and JL alone. He just touched the script up.
Bvs was definitely Terrios work. He completely revamped Goyers script and the dialogue was all his. JL he was the only writer credited during principal photography and then Whedon rewrote the script for the reshoots so much of his work was removed.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Terrio didn't even write BvS and JL alone. He just touched the script up.
BvS was totally Terrio's work. Something he and Snyder worked very closely together. JL was the same way until they threw his work out during production. During the post-production of BvS, Terrio was already extensively researching mythology to draw on the themes for JL.

Dec 12, 2017
BvS was totally Terrio's work. Something he and Snyder worked very closely together. JL was the same way until they threw his work out during production. During the post-production of BvS, Terrio was already extensively researching mythology to draw on the themes for JL.
No no. We must distance Terrio from his last two writing credits. We must pretend he had little to nothing to do with those shitastic films for...reasons.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017

Pretty much this. If he didn't come back he'd look super weak by comparison. I mean Maul got straight up cut in half in addition to falling like Pulp Team and he still came back. I am expecting Han Solo to make an appearance in this one too, maybe with an eye patch to show he did get injured by Kylo Ben.