• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last week J.J. Abrams told us he was thinking about Palpatine as far back as The Force Awakens. But was there a moment writing the script for this where there was an "a-ha" moment of bringing back Palpatine?
Oh, geez, I should probably steer away from specifics on that stuff until after the film comes out. Then I'd love to talk to you about it in detail. I'm afraid anything I'd say about it would give away some plot stuff and I'm not as fleet of foot as J.J. at avoiding stuff. But, what I can say is we felt that this story, these nine films, were a family saga. We decided pretty early on that we wanted to really think of this as the Skywalker Saga. And from the beginning, the chess game has been between Palpatine/Sideous and the Jedi. Specifically, the Jedi as represented by Anakin and the Skywalkers. So, we were convinced someway or another Palpatine had to be a presence in this film.

Of course, the sacrifice of Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi and bringing balance to the Force, we still had to honor that and I think we do honor that in the film. We don't take the end of Return of the Jedi lightly at all, because it is one of the most beautiful moments in any film, really — in seeing what Vader does for his son. Return of the Jedi was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, and I remember just being rocked by what I saw in that moment. Because it almost never had occurred to me as a kid that the bad guy could cease being a bad guy and be a good guy. That moment when Vader lifts Palpatine was a genuine shock to me and it's full of truth and beauty. We had to be careful about that, but if you look at some of the lore of Palpatine and the Sith and the way that George has embedded ideas about the Sith into the mythology of Star Wars, there are ways the presence of that character can still cast its shadow in the future. I guess I'll leave it at that.

More at the link

Oct 28, 2017
Nice interview.

He even hints at a possible Snyder cut lol

Terrio always comes across to me as a really genuine and thoughtful guy. Very interesting response from him about honoring the ending of ROTJ whilst finding a way to bring back Palpatine.

I truly hope they do honor ROTJ!

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screw it, I'm happy about it. Sidious always has been my favorite character anyways.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how effective it would have been to keep the Emperor reveal a Baby Yoda caliber secret.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back Hayden you cowards (cant have Palps and not his ultimate motive, the chosen one)

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Rey: Please... save my mother, Leia!
Kylo: Leia? Why did you say that name?

jk... But seriously, with Luke and Han gone and Fisher passed, who else could he bring back to tie it all together?

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
User Warned: Thread derail, Threadwhining
Welp that's the first I'd heard of this. Thanks?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Why did you have to remind me that Chris Terrio wrote this fucking movie?

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the Skywalkers wiped out? Luke is dead, Carrie Fisher is gone, and Ben doesn't have the Skywalker last name.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm joking but I'm sure there is someone out there who would have preferred the thread be titled,
"The Rise Of Skywalker' Co-Writer Chris Terrio On Bringing Back fan favorite characters."

I'm sure there's plenty of folks out there who would prefer those sanctimonious super fans just deal with it because what they want is an impossible task where the goal posts constantly move. I guarantee you, there would be people who would raise hell about that title, too.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
845eHUI.png

Aren't the Skywalkers wiped out? Luke is dead, Carrie Fisher is gone, and Ben doesn't have the Skywalker last name.

"The Rise of Skywalker"

But the SW team is adamant that Ben Solo is a Skywalker too whether he has the name or not.

And I mean that's kinda true.

His grandfather is Anakin.

And Leia will be in the movie.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Thread derail, Threadwhining
I was warned, y'all can stop quoting me now jeeze louise

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha man spoiler city

I mean it's hard to avoid but you have to figure some people haven't heard

Would this be so much worse of a title?

'The Rise Of Skywalker' Co-Writer Chris Terrio On Bringing Back Old Characters *spoilers*

This is ridiculous. Palpatine and Lando have been plastered in all the marketing and trailers. They were officially announced for the movie.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is ridiculous. Palpatine and Lando have been plastered in all the marketing and trailers. They were officially announced for the movie.
Again I stress some people actively avoid those things. I already knew about these things because I'm not in that boat with this but jesus christ it doesn't take much to just think a little bit for people who might be on black out instead of fucking shouting it out in a thread title.

THEY'RE IN THE TRAILERS AND ON THE POSTER.
You shouting at me doesn't make it less a spoiler.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We really wanted to honor the end of RotJ so, sure, maybe now Vader didn't actually destroy the Emperor and bring balance but he still saved Luke!... who really didn't do much and went on to be a totally failure at passing on the teachings of the lightside but DID succeed in helping create a powerful darkside adversary who terrorizes the galaxy. And sure he's not real interested in helping out but he does convince others to clean up his mess. What more could you ask for in a cherished character?!"

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again I stress some people actively avoid those things. I already knew about these things because I'm not in that boat with this but jesus christ it doesn't take much to just think a little bit for people who might be on black out instead of fucking shouting it out in a thread title.

You shouting at me doesn't make it less a spoiler.

Do you know what a spoiler is?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Oh wow, some people genuinely didn't know Palpy was in this?

It's been all over nerd internet and twitter

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Message board users do not exist to protect you from publicly distributed marketing materials for the most heavily promoted film of the year. Utterly, unfathomably ridiculous.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
But the SW team is adamant that Ben Solo is a Skywalker too whether he has the name or not.

And I mean that's kinda true.

His grandfather is Anakin.

And Leia will be in the movie.

I know. He has the Skywalker blood, but effectively the family name is gone, unless Luke has a secret love child somewhere.

mernst23

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is the emperor actually shown in a single trailer? Because a voice over of his laugh doesnt necessarily mean he was going to be in the movie. I agree the lando shit was front and center. But definitively knowing the emperor would be back? Thanks resetera.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do some of you guys have no idea how movies are made lol. The Justice League script on screen had almost nothing to do with whatever Terrio wrote. It went through endless rewrites.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Is the emperor actually shown in a single trailer? Because a voice over of his laugh doesnt necessarily mean he was going to be in the movie. I agree the lando shit was front and center. But definitively knowing the emperor would be back? Thanks resetera.

Hey now, all we know is his "presence" will be felt in the ST, we don't know if he survived the fall or whatnot.

He could totally be an evil force ghost for a pivotal Kylo Ren vision, who knows.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you see a brief shot of him from the side in one trailer, in the flesh.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Disney WANTS YOU TO KNOW that Sheev and Lando are in the movie, because they think that will excite you and make you see the movie, and they include both characters in the marketing materials, and they have the actors going to conventions and doing interviews, then it's

Not

A

Spoiler