• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
As part of a major push into adult animation, Comedy Central has given a series green light to a reimagening of the cult Emmy-nominated The Ren & Stimpy Show.

"We are excited to reinvent this iconic franchise with a new creative team and our partners at the Nickelodeon Animation Studio," said Chris McCarthy, President of ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Group. "Ren & Stimpy joins our rapidly expanding roster of adult animation including South Park, Beavis and Butt-Head and Clone High as we continue to reimagine our treasure chest of beloved IP for new generations."

deadline

people around here liked this show, right?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This was my favourite show as a kid, but "new creative team" is an important part here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
That's nice (without John K, get him outta here)

Ripping Friends was my jam, but I hope it can come together well as a new show, it's been a while but long enough that anyone working on this MUST have a ton of passion for it, so it should reflect well.

Seriously tho, I'm looking forward to the Ripping Friends getting greenlit, that show was amazing.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I loved the show when I was a kid, but I don't look back on it as fondly as everyone else. I'm not terribly impressed by it these days.

That said, I hope this turns out good for the people that are still fans. We all need things to look forward to!

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's see what the art style is first before jumping for joy

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
YES

Here's hoping they don't make the same mistakes Adult Party Cartoon did in the pursuit of being "adult animation". I don't need Ren getting Stimpy pregnant or Stimpy spraying "shampoo" on naked women. All they need to do is bring back the brilliance of the original show without the compromises of being on a kids' network.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
The art is super important, and they can't do that "adult party cartoon" style again.

I'll wait to see if this is any good.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Curious how this turns out. Adult Party Cartoon was trash, as was its creator.

However I always felt the Games seasons they made without John K. weren't quite as subversive as what he'd come up with, so I'm really hopeful they'll be able to find a spark there with a new team.
YES

Here's hoping they don't make the same mistakes Adult Party Cartoon did in the pursuit of being "adult animation". I don't need Ren getting Stimpy pregnant or Stimpy spraying "shampoo" on naked women. All they need to do is bring back the brilliance of the original show without the compromises of being on a kids' network.
tbh the restrictions on the original made it a better show.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
oh god no.

ren & stimpy minus john k and ren & stimpy with john k but without producer notes (for what is okay and not okay on a channel for kids) are both really bad. the former had some truly awful stretches of grossout humor with none of the buildup that made the john k episodes so timeless. and the spike show was... kinda the same honestly. i only saw one episode of adult party cartoon, and it was too long of an episode even though the premise was fine ('ren seeks help'). being more explicit did it no favors either. had ren's freakout from 'sven hoek' had been part of adult party cartoon, we probably would have been shown the physical violence in gruesome detail, instead of the much funnier fantasizing and pantomiming that we did get.

but either way, it feels like what worked about the john k years of ren and stimpy was that he was consistently challenged on stuff. with or without him, continuing the series was a poor idea. on the other hand, comedy central can't fuck up more than the later nick years and adult party cartoon. and john k is a pretty big shit so if he's not involved that's still a plus.

Last edited:

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
John K is black listed. Thats why he tried resorting to Kickstarter awhile ago. He's not going to be working on this.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The world is a completely different place now then when Ren and Stimpy came out. I'd be surprised if a new team tapped into what worked about the original, and even if they did, would it still be appealing now?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The world is a completely different place now then when Ren and Stimpy came out. I'd be surprised if a new team tapped into what worked about the original, and even if they did, would it still be appealing now?

The new Rocko's Modern Life turned out surprisingly well. But maybe Rocko's brand of social satire is easier to adapt than R&S'.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I was obsessed with the show in high school. But yes, to repeat most here, I'm glad John K. isn't involved

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Really going to depend on the creative team here and quality of animation.

Probably a good cartoonist/writer collaboration on the episodes would be best, because John K's stuff (who I'm glad isn't involved) on its own isn't focused or that funny.

Should be better than the Games episodes after Spumco left or the "Adult Party Cartoon" easily though.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
The only good seasons were the first two when John K was involved. Obviously he shouldn't be involved but it probably won't be any good without him.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I googled because i didnt know why Krikfalusi was being attacked in here.

Oh, ffs. Just no. Fuck that guy.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I TOLD YOU I'D SHOOT, BUT YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE ME!

WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME?

First Pikmin 3DX and now a new, John K-less R&S. It's my lucky day.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
"Comedy Central is bringing back Ren and Stumpy..." Uhg... "Without JohnK" oh well, I'm interested.

They best of Ren and Stimpy was after he got kicked off, and adult party cartoon just cemented how shit the is. Well that and the actual literal child sex grooming. Can't forget that.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GET FUCKED JOHN K. Hope Bob Camp is coming back, too.

Viacom coming in strong lately. Beavis and Butthead, Clone High, and now this. Throw in South Park and I think they can finally compete with Adult Swim. Especially now that they're losing Fox syndication rights.

Celebrity Death Match and Drawn Together reboot when?

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
They best of Ren and Stimpy was after he got kicked off,
Interesting take. I would not agree at all, but Im also not supporting the thought of bring John back on for multiple reasons. The early seasons are some of the most influential cartoons, whose fingerprints are on so many different shows. They really need to nail the animation on this revival, and have Ren be just as maniacal and cynical of everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Let's see what the art style is first before jumping for joy
300px-Episodenominate.png

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
Withholding reaction until some animation is revealed. Seems like something that should just be left dead. The only good episodes had John K. behind them and well, that ain't happening anymore, for good reason.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Although John K. doesn't deserve to be involved in this show (and I'm not sure if he'd even want to be, honestly), I don't know how it'll fair without him. For better or worse, the original seasons of the show are filled with his DNA, and I think it'll be hard to replicate his style (not just in the writing and tone, but animation - like his rules about going off model without breaking the model) without him.

We shall see, though.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
On one hand I think young blood could do the show justice but it sucks that the likes of Bob Camp nor the late Chris Reccardi (R.I.P.) aren't involved. Those guys were the crux of the original show and why there's a couple of standouts in the Games era.

But good news that fuckface John K isn't involved AND not getting any royalties from the reboot is a massive plus. Adult Party Cartoon was fucking terrible.

It remains to be seen.