• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

"The Last Kingdom" will end with its upcoming Season 5 on Netflix.

The announcement comes as the show begins production on its fifth season in Budapest, Hungary.

"I love this job," series star Alexander Dreymon said. "Playing Uhtred for 5 seasons has been a wonderful journey. And I'm truly grateful to have been given the opportunity to direct. In doing so, I came to fully appreciate the spectacular talent and skill of our cast and crew even more. I can't wait to share it with our fans, without whom none of this would be possible."
variety.com

‘The Last Kingdom’ to End With Season 5 on Netflix

"The Last Kingdom" will end with its upcoming Season 5 on Netflix.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mixed feelings on this. I enjoy the show, but they've fallen into a really repetitive cycle

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
What? Why? I thought it was popular and there were still many books to adapt...? Proper ending...?

It will leave a void...well made shows in this genre are still pretty rare. :(

Nov 2, 2018
mixed feelings on this. I enjoy the show, but they've fallen into a really repetitive cycle

Binging it this was part of the charm. Here's the new female for him to bang. Time to set his standing back to season 1. Then the battle, then the reset

sad it's ending it made me buy Valhalla which I still haven't tried yet

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, it has to end somewhere and it's been a good journey. They could have finished it with the last season too.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
i feel like my brain still melds parts of this with vikings, but i really enjoy the last kingdom. i hope season 5 doesn't end up like vikings season 6 :(

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they will be 3 books short so this will have either a rushed ending or a made up one.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Nooooooooo. Netkillflix strikes again.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
There's a lot of ground to cover and we won't be getting to the whole united England bit (though really that's a bit dodgy anyway and the country was back under a Danish king within a century).

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be hilarious if it ends and Uthred still doesn't reclaim Bebbanburg.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Binging it this was part of the charm. Here's the new female for him to bang. Time to set his standing back to season 1. Then the battle, then the reset

sad it's ending it made me buy Valhalla which I still haven't tried yet

I am amused by his love-interests getting progressively sexed-up season after season. If this went eight seasons, Uhtred would have had to be banging a sphere of blinding light or something by the end.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
This is really disappointing as I was hoping it would get a couple more seasons but glad they are at least getting one more to try to finish it up.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
This show lost something for me when....
King Alfred(David Dawson) died and it hasn't been the same since. Not to say it hasn't been good it's just his character was an integral part of the show and his loss had a pretty significant impact. Wasn't shocking either....you knew it was coming.....just sad when it finally happened.

Five seasons is a good run though, still sad to see it end.

Last edited:

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I would rather that they go into Series 5 knowing it's the last one, and have a go at wrapping things up properly, than do Series 5 on the basis of getting another series that never comes.

I just hope they can wrap it all up well.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Let's be honest here. Anything after
Aethelfled
is just all down hill from that.

Made me think of this from The Last Kingdom Subreddit :D

qso82ztb94w61.jpg

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This show lost something for me when....
King Alfred(David Dawson) died and it hasn't been the same since. Not to say it hasn't been good it's just his character was an integral part of the show and his loss had a pretty significant impact. Wasn't shocking either....you knew it was coming.....just sad when it finally happened.

Five seasons is a good run though, still sad to see it end.
Same. Season 4 just wasn't the same, I watched a few episodes of it and haven't had the energy to come back. I'll finish it at some point though, I've really enjoyed the series.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
To all the people saying it's okay to stop at 5 - you do realize they only needed 1 more season (and a half) to finish the series right 😔

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I hope the writers can plan for this and close off S5 well.
I fear that they planned for more seasons.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The books did as well but that's why they were so fun. Evil Danish invasion, Uhtred fall from Grace, Uhtred concocts genius strategic plan to defeat Danes, Uhtred reaps rewards and is landed, rinse repeat. It's silly but the show and books were always about the fun characters and the smart ways Uhtred would devise to beat overwhelming odds.

Personally it's been one of my all time favorite shows by Netflix so I'm sad to see it go. There's very little in the way of good entertainment that covers that era so I fear it'll be years before we'll see anything similar

Edit: love to see all the support for the show in here. Very few people every talk about it on Era and it's a shame. It's a seriously undervalued show

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. This is a valid point.

...Is it? Vikings began declining steadily just a few seasons in—and then fell off a cliff when a certain someone left.

The Last Kingdom hasn't shown any such degradation in quality, IMO. This isn't really something you can treat as inevitable just because a vaguely similar show deteriorated.

Sure, I'd rather end the show strong than have a Vikings or Game of Thrones situation occur—but neither of those shows fell apart just because of the time elapsed or number of seasons. They fell apart because their writing sucked and/or their showrunners mentally checked out.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
...Is it? Vikings began declining steadily just a few seasons in—and then fell off a cliff when a certain someone left.

The Last Kingdom hasn't shown any such degradation in quality, IMO. This isn't really something you can treat as inevitable just because a vaguely similar show deteriorated.

Sure, I'd rather end the show strong than have a Vikings or Game of Thrones situation occur—but neither of those shows fell apart just because of the time elapsed or number of seasons. They fell apart because their writing sucked and/or their showrunners mentally checked out.

I liked Vikings just fine until that certain someone left the stage, which was at the end of season 4, if memory serves. I still loved TLK s4, but it is kinda evident it's treading water a little, and Alfred's exit might be a sign of the cliff edge fast approaching.

Who knows, maybe s5 is actually stellar and I'll be saying "damn I wish they could continue", but at this point, I'm okay with getting just one more season.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
More bummed that Norseman was cancelled. I'll give the final season of this a watch.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I'm fine with it ending next season.

Too many bad experiences with beloved shows dragging on and destroying themselves.

Let us end one with good memories.