• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 26, 2019
I think there was a lot of this type of stuff going around in 2010-2012, but a couple of these are really outside the bounds of whatever was acceptable even back then. I mean there's not even a joke to some of them, just out and out racism. Has anybody scrubbed Dane Cook's twitter from that timeframe? I feel like it might be beating a dead horse but there would probably be a treasure trove of unfunny shit there

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Some of those are *really* bad. I support forgiving people for past transgressions but those are really bad and don't even seem like jokes but just stupid racial comments.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
No, for one major reason: a comedy writer is writing with distance. That's part of comedy. When a comedian says "I did X" or "I think X," it's with the understanding that the comedian is not the "I" in that statement. The "I" is a persona. The stories they're telling aren't real. The feelings they're talking about aren't real. They're entertainment. They're probably ROOTED in real feelings and situations, which is why so many comedians play characters that are exaggerated versions of themselves (and why shit like this is always suspect), but they're not meant to be taken literally.

Like, imagine if the first tweet was phrased like this:

Neither of those tweets (the real one or my hypothetical one) are real sentiments held by real people, they're both "just jokes." But they both came from a real person, and neither is acceptable, because they're both using the victims of the holocaust as a punchline.
What about the Ron Perlman thread?

If someone writes a white supremacist... is a white supremacist? I don't follow your reasoning. Of course if that character says a joke like the one we are talking that is still a bad taste joke, but that's the point. That doesn't automatically makes the person who wrote that a white supremacist.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
These tweets seem to hinge on on the same level of what the Flash actor from the other day was called out on and even the ones from James Gunn which got him fired... and then because of backlash re-hired. It's just edgy for edgy's sake, the humor being subjective.

Gunn had apologized for his past before though. He acknowledged it was humor, acknowledged it was bad taste, and what got him fired was mainly right wing trolls making a big deal about it after the initial dust settled

My issue here is apparently six months people have been asking for accountability and she dodged like it was a boxing match. If she came out of her own accord when it was brought to her attention like 'Yeah, I was doing stupid edgy twitter shit cause I thought it was funny...' yada yada yada it would hit a bit different.

Now it reads like a forced 'sorry you were offended' which looks suspect. Like when Sarah Silverman brings up her old edgelord comedy she's apologetic and explains why she thought that way (effectively "I was making fun of racists and the joke only works if everyone watching it isn't racist and obviously its not the case) " and why it changed. I dont see that internal reckoning here at all, so it makes me wonder if those are 'jokes' came from an anti-racist place or she kinda carries those views.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary Around Racism
Daaaamn Amram! But she's a legit wonderful person. This is one of those "insensitive humour was much more permissable five years ago" things, not "outed as a closet racist" things. But yeah, I did not expect those old jokes to be as uncool as they are. Oof.

As a white person, I can't comment on the value of her apology. I just know she's now a force for good in the world, and a total SJW in the best way.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
She was writing for Parks and Rec while putting these tweets out there.

Were there no Asian people on staff at P&R? Or this was just considered acceptable edgelord humor in 2012?

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive how white people stop being racist and change completely the moment they get caught being racist and exposed to the public, amazing the change of heart...
I mean, this is the other thing: amram wasn't silent on these issues forever and then posted a black square on ig the other day as her first ever word on racial discrimination. she's been a vocal activist for lgbt and bipoc rights for years and years now

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
You can't even separate art from artist here. One of the main characters in the show is a "retarded" Asian.

aj5i0ei50n321.jpg
But he's not 'retarded', he's just from Jacksonville.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Blows my mind that people think a platform with near global reach is the best place to workshop racist jokes.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
Gunn had apologized for his past before though. He acknowledged it was humor, acknowledged it was bad taste, and what got him fired was mainly right wing trolls making a big deal about it after the initial dust settled

My issue here is apparently six months people have been asking for accountability and she dodged like it was a boxing match. If she came out of her own accord when it was brought to her attention like 'Yeah, I was doing stupid edgy twitter shit cause I thought it was funny...' yada yada yada it would hit a bit different.

Now it reads like a forced 'sorry you were offended' which looks suspect. Like when Sarah Silverman brings up her old edgelord comedy she's apologetic and explains why she thought that way (effectively "I was making fun of racists and the joke only works if everyone watching it isn't racist and obviously its not the case) " and why it changed. I dont see that internal reckoning here at all, so it makes me wonder if those are 'jokes' came from an anti-racist place or she kinda carries those views.
I get that. I wasn't really dissecting on how they apologized, just the "comedy" of it. I almost wonder when people are confronted about it, they are hoping if they ignore it, it will go away, and in some cases it does until it's brought back years later. Maybe they don't know what to say at the time, as to not be construed as the "wrong" thing (like insincerity, or apologizing just because) and then when the light is shinned on them again, they weren't prepared for such a thing.

I can't think of any apology that was out of the blue, that wasn't brought up or a reaction to be brought back up. They might happen, I just can't recall any.

And this is in no way siding with the offender, it's just this pattern I'm noticing.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following her for years and always wondered when this stuff would pop up. A lot of stuff written at that time came from when her account was more of a parody/weird Twitter. However those jokes are offensive and her apology is really crappy.

Were these tweets dug up by conservatives to start shit towards a more liberal celeb?

May 19, 2020
A lot of weird Twitter and its extensions of internet comedy got its start on the Something Awful FYAD forum, a place that was basically a staging ground for weird, shock and sometimes racist humor. I imagine a deep dive of who came out of there would dredge up a lot of garbage.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The really funny joke here is how people turn into pretzels trying to defend and excuse this bullshit.

Shit's always an act, when they come for the ones you like then the excuses begin.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Cancel all these fuckers. Tired of hearing folks complianing about "cancel culture." These people haven't changed, if they did they would expose themselves on purpose and make real apologies, not wait until some drags their last into the light. Fuck em all!

Anyone who tries to explain this is part of the damn problem. Yeah we all said dumb shit in the past, but all of us aren't bigots. My twitter is filled with emo nonsense, but not racist crap. Cause even as a teenager--I KNEW BETTER!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about the Ron Perlman thread?

If someone writes a white supremacist... is a white supremacist? I don't follow your reasoning. Of course if that character says a joke like the one we are talking that is still a bad taste joke, but that's the point. That doesn't automatically makes the person who wrote that a white supremacist.

No, of course not. Just like the Holocaust joke Megan Amram tweeted doesn't make her a Nazi - like, she's Jewish! That doesn't mean it's not offensive, though.

Drama and comedy are the same way. It's possible to use drama to shine a light and say something meaningful about white supremacy. It's also possible to use white supremacy and black suffering in a shallow, exploitative manner, and if you do that, it's going to be tasteless, probably offensive, and possibly racist. I've never seen SoA, so I can't talk about it. But I have no reason to think that that Ron Perlman isn't a good guy and, if it IS in any way offensive, I'm going to assume it wasn't intentional.

Comedy is no different. That's why Dave Chappelle can tell jokes about black suffering that are both funny and insightful, but then tell jokes about trans identity that are cruel and belittling. They're the same kind of jokes, but he's speaking truth on one and doesn't know what he's talking about with the other.

Being unintentionally harmful is still harmful.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've been following her for years and always wondered when this stuff would pop up. A lot of stuff written at that time came from when her account was more of a parody/weird Twitter. However those jokes are offensive and her apology is really crappy.

Were these tweets dug up by conservatives to start shit towards a more liberal celeb?
I'm like 99% certain that last tweet is a parody/news story reference, I just can't remember what it's in reference to. Like it's still a bad tweet, but I swear there's some context which makes it slightly different to just outright hate.

And no this was mostly the Asian American community dragging her and this is actually the second time these tweets have come up, although I think the first time was by conservatives/people looking to cancel her for being outspoken on social issues and then left wing people took notice but it didn't get traction because she blocked them all, deleted everything and didn't say a word.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck, this is way beyond even early '10's "Weird Twitter" ironic racist stuff

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 99% certain that last tweet is a parody/news story reference, I just can't remember what it's in reference to. Like it's still a bad tweet, but I swear there's some context which makes it slightly different to just outright hate.

And no this was mostly the Asian American community dragging her and this is actually the second time these tweets have come up, although I think the first time was by conservatives/people looking to cancel her for being outspoken on social issues and then left wing people took notice but it didn't get traction because she blocked them all, deleted everything and didn't say a word.

I️ was actually typing out something similar to another post here. I️ think it was in reference to someone angry on the News cuz they cant say the r word anymore or something like that and the story went viral. I'm sure digging around on old news/message boards to find the source could be done but that's way more work than I️ want to put into defending this stuff.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I need context of her other tweets at the time because it really reads as some bad jokes which were everywhere on Twitter then. I only saw the account as a joke account like the guy from Catastrophe but never followed myself. Now if someone found a history of targeting Asians over everyone else, then yeah, there should be consequences for that. But cherry-picking based on searching can paint a different picture. I'm used to being made fun of for my Asian side, but it's usually the stereotypes that get used. These seem like bad attempts at subversion.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I don't know what's more offensive, the racism or how bad the attempts at humor are.

Obviously it's the racism but the "jokes" are written like a 7 year old.

Feb 18, 2018
Yeah, blocking people that were calling her out on this months ago makes me think this is just a last ditch effort to keep the racist accusations at bay and save a little bit of face. She knew what she said was wrong and shut people out who were trying to "educate" her on things she tweeted when she was twenty-fucking-three years old.

And the best part is that people will come to her defense and claim it's just cancel culture run amok, and this will probably still all blow over for her in like a week.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
No, of course not. Just like the Holocaust joke Megan Amram tweeted doesn't make her a Nazi - like, she's Jewish! That doesn't mean it's not offensive, though.

I don't know what that has to do with what I said, and in what world I said that joke was not offensive or anything. There is a clear line between a person tweeting something in its own behalf and a nazi character wrote in a work of fiction saying something nazi. That was my take and I'm not following this other argument in any way.

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
Considering the character in the show, this feels more like a "sorry I got called out" more than a genuine apology.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
This reads to me like typical early 2010s twitter "shock" "humor" extra sarcasm on the humor. I'm concerned about the focus on Asian Americans though - it seems just hateful for the sake of being hateful. That's not funny at all. I do have to wonder if this is a case of laser focusing in on one subject though - like are there more tweets of clearly offensive things not about Asian Americans? She could be an equal opportunity racist is all I'm saying.

Edit: Oh, just read her apology, she had a thing for Asian Americans specifically. What the fuck?

Her Apology seems pretty genuine and she's pretty upfront in saying she used to be a racist, so I mean I'll take it at face value, but still those tweets are fucking disgusting.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Today I learned that Megan Amran is a real person.
I always thought she was a joke character on Twitter. I kept seeing screencaps of her tweets on Tumblr back in the days.

Jun 10, 2018
Those tweets got progressively worse, holy shit. It's like her conscious kept calling her self out and she doubled down anyway baiting someone else to.

Throw her in the garbage with the rest of the racist filth.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I can kinda see the jokes she was trying to pull.. and then that last tweet lol. I have no idea what 'joke' is meant to be going on there.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, those tweets are pretty beyond the pale. Especially for a grown ass woman writing that shit as recently as 2013.

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking this was going to be another James Gunn situation but nope, some of these are genuinely vile to the core

Very disappointed in her to say the least

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
To me, demanding accountability for 8 year old tweets is maybe... half as righteous as people think it is. I understand these tweets are hurtful. And not even good jokes! But I also see Megan Amram on currently social media every day working towards anti-racist causes. She apologized, she demonstrably does not write this like anymore, and yet the expectation is now that she should be continuously raked over the coals. Until what?

Oct 25, 2017
To me, demanding accountability for 8 year old tweets is maybe... half as righteous as people think it is. I understand these tweets are hurtful. And not even good jokes! But I also see Megan Amram on currently social media every day working towards anti-racist causes. She apologized, she demonstrably does not write this like anymore, and yet the expectation is now that she should be continuously raked over the coals. Until what?
It's been like a day and this isn't much of a reckoning.

Being held accountable is taking base criticism for shitty things you did instead of deleting it, pretending it never happened and going on like you were always this forward thinking progressive.

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
This mode of thinking can be dangerous, though. Just because things aren't written overtly does not indicate that her own personal thoughts have shifted in any way. Another perspective is that she's learned how to publicly suppress these kind of thoughts. Not saying this is definitely the case, but just because someone isn't being overtly racist anymore does not mean that they're magically not a racist.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

She was blocking people who were calling out for her racist past without saying anything to them or commenting on it a few months ago. She was trying to bury the racism, not acknowledge it. She SHOULD be raked over the coals because the only reason she's commenting now is because a large amount of people have started calling her out on her bullshit, which is also why her apology rings completely false.

If she truly wanted to apologize for this shit she would have done it when it started resurfacing months ago, not now when she basically got fully caught with her hand in the cookie jar. The fact that her apology is super generic does not help. You can't be a true ally to a cause and also block people who want to discuss your problematic past with that cause, or similar causes, openly.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those looking to drop her, here are the shows she has written for and/or produced.

A.N.T. Farm
Parks and Recreation
Kroll Show
Transparent
Childrens Hospital
Silicon Valley
The Good Place
An Emmy for Megan
The Simpsons

I love so many of these shows. Hell, even my littl sister liked ANT Farm.

As an Asian American I'm reeling from those tweets. What the hell?

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
She was blocking people who were calling out for her racist past without saying anything to them or commenting on it a few months ago. She was trying to bury the racism, not acknowledge it. She SHOULD be raked over the coals because the only reason she's commenting now is because a large amount of people have started calling her out on her bullshit, which is also why her apology rings completely false.

If she truly wanted to apologize for this shit she would have done it when it started resurfacing months ago, not now when she basically got fully caught with her hand in the cookie jar. The fact that her apology is super generic does not help. You can't be a true ally to a cause and also block people who want to discuss your problematic past with that cause, or similar causes, openly.
Bingo. It's the initial evasion-by-blocking that's particularly troubling. She won't explain that.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
User Banned (2 Months): Excusing racism
OK PPL is there that many folks here under 8 years old (I'm the only 8 year old in dis biznatch!)? 2012 was a year that most of us has lived through for certain!! This was very much tolerated back then. The frog is dead but it's still a frog that we're boiling, always has been. (Aka, these have always been out there. Everyone just forgot that today is very, very far from yesterday.)

Ain't no D-FENS, just sayin' that what is horrible now was horrible then, but of course, it's no mystery as to how these things 'slipped through' in those days -- everybody just didn't care or know as much about what was horrible, and/or the perpetrators were simply not as popular and big as they became later on.

[EDIT POST-WARNING: To writ, this is in response to people's surprise by how something like this was possible and accepted even amongst members of blooming progressivist circles in the recent past, not in response to people's derision or surprise towards the racist subject material of Megan's tweets/apology, as it is a past we were all there to technically see. The fact that the past can be so easily forgotten is enigmatic to mull -- it is that same past, after all, that has many lessons to teach about growth and how our level of hyper-awareness has risen since.

Now, that doesn't mean everybody does 'grow'. For all we know, Megan can be a low-key cackling prejudicer to this day. But one person's prejudiced acts, thoughts, or behavior do not exist in a vacuum. It exists in part because of the environment that enables it -- and truthfully, a lot of us were also of that environment. Some weren't, but many were. So were a lot of people who champion the brunt of progressivist ideology today. Today it is up to that person to listen to what that new and improved environment is saying. Anyway, that's off-topic a tad.]

Last edited:

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
A lot of weird Twitter and its extensions of internet comedy got its start on the Something Awful FYAD forum, a place that was basically a staging ground for weird, shock and sometimes racist humor. I imagine a deep dive of who came out of there would dredge up a lot of garbage.
I am utterly ashamed of having been an SA poster and I got permabanned from there for being an "SJW" that FYAD didn't like even though I didn't post in FYAD. I mainly posted in TG and DnD, occasionally also Laissez Faire before the mods shut it down.

But either way, I said a lot of stupid shit back in the day that trolls from that website are still hounding me about. I wish I could erase all of it.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I do not follow her as well, but yes, the image is familiar to me too. I believe she may have been part of the early 2010's "weird twitter" surge, and had a lot of tweets go viral during that time
Yeah I remember seeing her retweeted a lot and ended up blocking her purely because that profile pic was fucking annoying.