• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Two important questions for me:

1) Was it any good?
2) Is the sound mixing at home going to be so fucked up that I can't hear a single word a character says, but every boom and bang is going to wake up the baby, and some bass rattling is going to shake the pictures off my walls and cause tiles in my shower to fall out?

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018

1) Was it any good?
2) Is the sound mixing at home going to be so fucked up that I can't hear a single word a character says, but every boom and bang is going to wake up the baby, and some bass rattling is going to shake the pictures off my walls and cause tiles in my shower to fall out?
No and yes

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

1) Was it any good?
Yes and yes. As always, you should turn on subtitles. We're not cavemen :)

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

1) Was it any good?

1) I liked it personally. I honestly think if you've ever watched Looper or Primer or Coherence you should give it a shot and you might at least come away loving the concept but not the execution + the actors & music.
2) Just use subs. There are a hell of a lot of explosions and gunshots and there are several scenes that you might need to strain slightly but I don't consider it inaudible/ear destroying. I can only speak for myself but without subtitles during my 1st watch I got most of the exposition, enough that on the 2nd watch I didn't feel like there was anything crucial I'd missed the 1st time.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

1) Was it any good?

2 no's from me. Movie was not good and for me at least, I had to turn subtitles on to get all the dialogue.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

1) Was it any good?
I don't know what sound system other people are rocking, all I have are the built-in TV speakers and I kept the volume at a normal level and there was nothing ear-piercing or window shattering about the gunshots and explosions. You'll definitely need to put on subs in that case, but tbh you should put them on anyway.

And yes I liked it. A lot of criticisms are valid and if you're not a fan of Nolan this won't change your mind. But I really dug it and found it really interesting to think about afterward.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

1) Was it any good?

1) it's fun at times but mostly forgettable
2) the sound mix is poor and dialogue is difficult to hear

Oct 29, 2017
I watched the movie tonight, and my takeaway was like "wait what?" I don't know what I really watched, but was intrigued. Seemed like fancy editing and a lot of CG. I then watched all the "behind the scenes" features on Apple TV (and I assume available on the disc versions), and holy shit, the whole movie is mostly practical effects, and the backwards stuff is being done in real time, even talking backwards in different languages, and I'm like WTF! People should watch the behind the scenes stuff FIRST and then watch the movie. Will rewatch tomorrow but holy cow. Crazy cool.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I still plan on watching this eventually, but I'm waiting for rental to be available because I didn't actually sit through the whole thing when I saw it in theater.

It was actually my birthday when I went to see it at a drive-in theater. I got up to around when they explain the reversed time stuff to the main character but I was pretty bored so ended up leaving.

I haven't read any spoilers, but I'm fairly sure I get what the gimmick is for the movie and that the movie probably doesn't get going till later on, which is why I still want to see the rest of it eventually. But from the beginning I did see I could already tell I probably wouldn't like this as much as Inception or Interstellar so I don't want to risk paying full price for it and not liking it at all.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the movie tonight, and my takeaway was like "wait what?" I don't know what I really watched, but was intrigued. Seemed like fancy editing and a lot of CG. I then watched all the "behind the scenes" features on Apple TV (and I assume available on the disc versions), and holy shit, the whole movie is mostly practical effects, and the backwards stuff is being done in real time, even talking backwards in different languages, and I'm like WTF! People should watch the behind the scenes stuff FIRST and then watch the movie. Will rewatch tomorrow but holy cow. Crazy cool.

That's actually pretty cool. I've seen the movie and know that it wasn't really done with CG, but I guess while watching I mostly just assumed that they ran the film backwards (which obviously doesn't make sense now that I think about it given how the timelines interact).

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019

1) Was it any good?

1) Easily top 3, maybe his best, certainly his most Nolan movie if you know what i mean.
2) No, but use subs anyway.

Oct 25, 2017

1) Was it any good?

Yes to 2 the bass is ridiculously high on this too high in fact l had to turn the bass down for once. The audio mix is poor turn on the subtitles.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This movie is def more enjoyable on rewatchs when you have a better idea of what's going on, but this is still easily bottom tier Nolan. For a movie where most of the dialogue is exposition, it is shockingly bad at actually delivering information clearly to the viewer so they can understand what's going on. Part of the fault here is, I think, Nolan's style of dialogue where everyone talks really fast and in a really flat tone of voice. In other Nolan flicks this wasn't much of a problem, but here it is since it doesn't give any time for the exposition the characters are spouting to sink in. The other part is that Nolan's writing is just kinda bad. He def needed a co-writer here.

And while Nolan has gotten better directing action sequences, he still struggles with them. It's telling that a setpiece that sounds insanely cool on paper (crashing a giant plane on a hangar) ends up being rather boring and plain looking due to the way the sequence was shot and edited. And that third act battle oooh boy, that shit was a complete mess. No sense of geography, what or who the Tenet guys are actually ahooting at, or what they are trying to accomplish moment to moment. Nolan desperately needs a second unit to direct action scenes, and his stubborn refusal to do so is beyond frustrating at this point.

All in all, if you get through the overly convoluted timey-wimey shenanigans, you're left with a rather dull Bond movie. And I was actually excited at the idea of a Nolan Bond movie. After Tenet, not so much anymore. :P

It's a damn shame because the core concept of the movie is really cool, but is kinda wasted here. I can only imagine what this movie could had been had it been written or directed by someone else.

Last edited:

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Got my receiver center channel fixed so I watched it earlier today and loved it. John Washington and Robert Pattinson were fantastic the set pieces we so much fun.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

1) Was it any good?

1) Eh, it's a 7? It gave me a headache. I didn't hate it.
2) Sound mixing was fine, the only muffled dialogue was unimportant.

None of those extras are available on the Apple TV PS5 app unfortunately.

Last edited:

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I had conflicted feelings about this, because I appreciate how incredibly ambitious it was. Nolan has been on a hot streak, and it's momentous they he was able to pull this off.

But on the other hand, it feels so sloppy in execution. The vault fight was wild but also confusing and without real stakes. The macguffin about the drawing felt like a waste of time, and the climax is simultaneously mind ending to conceptualize but also pure nonsense to follow.

I almost feel like Nolan's script would be better in someone else's hands, or he needed someone on the outside to take a pretty heavy pass on his script to draw out the important parts that were buried.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well after being hyped to the moon and considering Nolan one of my favorite directors, all I've got to say is this:

Covid was sent from the future to save the majority of moviegoers from Tenet.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
ok I think I love it. I dont care if the characters are bad, the audio is bad, clearly Nolan is in love with the idea and the execution is flawed -- but i still love the concept.

I would sign up right now for a tv series with him "cleaning up loose ends" John just killing all the people that know about Tenet, making sure he closes all the loops.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
This movie was amazing. Nolan is an amazing director. Easily my favorite of all time. If you liked this you should also watch PRIMER.

Dec 21, 2017
I liked it. The script was *probably* full of holes [Only had one viewing to digest it], but it seems ripe for a rewatch for it to all fall apart.

It looked good, at least. I love Nolan more when he tries to mess with the viewer mentally than, say Dunkirk conceptually.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Rented it from Redbox on Blu-ray. I am not the biggest fan of Nolan movies (I thought Dark Knight Rises was mediocre, I fucking despised Interstellar and almost requested a refund from the theater, and thought Dunkirk was boring), I thought that this was OK even if I had no clue what was going on in the final act of the movie. I understand the concept of a "Temporal Pincer Attack", but had no idea who they were fighting against? Did this dude have an army they just never mentioned? She shot the guy with the deadman switch and the bomb didn't go off?

Also, as mentioned by others, the sound mixing is fucking attrocious and i was constantly having to raise or lower the volume depending on the scene and I might as well have had the audio language set to French or something, I had to rely on subtitles to understand any of the dialog.

I'm not going to take 2 hours of my life to re-watch this, but I think it's better than Interstellar and, if nothing else, i'm happy that there is someone who can make super expensive sci fi movies that aren't attempts to launch cinematic universes or based on established IP

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. My pet theory is that the idea to do action sequences with reversed footage came before the script was written and he had to come up with a way to construct a plot around some actors/objects moving backward in time.

I also feel like Nolan somewhat designed this one to be chopped up and remixed on YouTube/Social Media. Similar to what people do with Memento. Maybe that's just me, but feels like it was made for it.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. My pet theory is that the idea to do action sequences with reversed footage came before the script was written and he had to come up with a way to construct a plot around some actors/objects moving backward in time.
Nolan: "Hmm, so I've had people fighting normally, fighting upside down and all around sides of walls, I've tried them fighting in space, that went rather well, now where do I go from here? Hmm"

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people with the UHD, does this have the same raised blacks the other Nolan movies have had on UHD?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

1) Was it any good?

1) It's a solid 7 or 8/10 for me. Probably his worst movie I've watched, but I liked all of them so this wasn't too far down from his average. It's, well, a Nolan movie; you know what to expect.
2) It's actually the music that's OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD. I watched it with subs so the issue for me was more choosing between changing the volume every other minute, settling for deafening music (which is mostly overdramatic fog horns to boot; don't get the praise at all), or setting for whispering dialogue. This has actually been an issue with a lot of his other movies, he just seems to have gone full self-indulgent with it here.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
For people with the UHD, does this have the same raised blacks the other Nolan movies have had on UHD?
Looked good to me on a PS5 and LG B7 using HDR10. Can't try it on Dolby Vision with the PS5 though and using DV is the only way I've sometimes seen raised blacks on UHD discs (non-Nolan films) with my old player.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
My least favorite Nolan film. All over the place. It was surprisingly flat and forgettable considering the potential.

Aside: I chose to watch this one with headphones because of how difficult Dunkirk was. It was mixed fine with those. Recommend giving nice headphones a shot for future Nolan films.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

1) Was it any good?
1. I just watched it and it was pretty wild. Not my favorite of his movies but I love how much he enjoys playing with the concept of time.
2. The sound is a disaster as usual. I'll have to rewatch with subs on because I feel like I made up half of the dialog by filling in what I was expecting to hear.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong with the mix.

Yes it's aggressive.

Any problems you have with dynamics is either a reflection of your sound system, your living space or your settings.

The mix is fine. Aggressive, but fine.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017

Yes it's aggressive.

Any problems you have with dynamics is either a reflection of your sound system, your living space or your settings.

Im sorry but this is pretty widely considered to not be the case. It was also criticized heavily in theaters, setups with top of the line sound systems.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It certainly wasn't worth going to the theater and getting Covid, like Nolan wanted us to do. Not that anything is.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
First Nolan film that made me feel like I never want to watch it again. I want to give it another shot someday and see if I feel differently about it, but it won't be anytime soon.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Yes it's aggressive.

You should be forced to watch the sailing scene on loop for a few hours.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Dazzling film in terms of how it was built narratively and carried out in execution. It's not great, but it's a neat showpiece of what is achievable with filmmaking.

It's pretty flat from a narrative point of view, yeah, and the conceit is nonsensically convoluted to the point you would need to pick the film apart to understand how it works, but I guess there's a certain charm to that too.

I still think Nolan delivers thunderous experiences like no one else does, especially with Zimmer's scores, but yeah, for all it's slickness and style, it isn't really a great film.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this tonight and have mixed feelings about it. Great action sequences, cinematography, and score. John David Washington, Elizabeth Debicki, and Robert Pattinson all did really well. It's just so much of the plot feels scatterbrained and purposely convoluted for the sake of it. Inception felt more cohesive and had layers that made sense. With Tenet, it just felt like things were being tacked on purely for the spectacle of it all. I don't know, it felt like it was missing something. It was hard to get invested in the story. As an experience, it's a fun romp with great visuals. Worth watching just for that. Otherwise, the plot was kind of a swing and a miss for me and was more of a means to an end for the purpose of showing off flashy action sequences and cinematography. Which is totally fine, but it's one of Nolan's weaker films because of it IMO.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone hates it but I absolutely love it. Yes, the sound mixing could be better but I really did love it. Is it Interstellar/Inception, probably not, but I still really had fun. I love time movies.

I saw it for the second time tonight.

I know everyone hates it but I absolutely love it. Yes, the sound mixing could be better but I really did love it. Is it Interstellar/Inception, probably not, but I still really had fun. I love time movies.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

1) Was it any good?
1. Opinions are incredibly divided on it. I personally loved it. The idea of the movie was something I thought about for the next 2 days.
2. The sound is amazing in the movie. I personally could always understand what they were saying other than a few instances where you are not supposed to understand what the character is saying.

You might hate it but it is definitely worth watching IMO.

I wish I could have seen it in a IMAX theater. Nolan makes the best theater movies IMO.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it quite a bit. It is peak "cinema"
Certainly not his best work front to back, and it feels oddly disjointed for a movie centered around time, but it has some really, really great "OH SHIT" moments.
The whole sequence of scenes in Tallinn are just outstanding. I feel like these in particular capture the core idea of the film.
Subpar mixing aside, the soundtrack is also amazing.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019

Yes it's aggressive.

I could barely understand this movie on my CX