• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, though I guess it makes sense from when they actually put it out in theaters. Sad I won't get to experience this in IMAX but is what it is.

Hopefully once theatres reopen WB can put Tenet back out for a limited IMAX engagement. Muffled dialogue aside, there are certain parts, like
the runway sequence
that are breathtaking in IMAX.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
They've put the prologue up on YouTube, I've watched it again for the first time since the Rise of Skywalker... And I still have no idea what's going on.

I forgot that I pre ordered this. Movie night is a go in my own home theater. I bought a stand alone 4K player for my projector setup, so this will be the title I break it in on. Going by this thread, I guess I'm messing with the sound a bit. Worst case I can always subtitle it 🤷🏾‍♂️

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, I thought this was out yesterday.

I've managed to avoid spoilers since release. So looking forward to actually seeing this.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Skipped out on seeing it in the theater, because yeah. Internet discourse around seemed to die to so I avoided spoilers too, so don't know much about it.

Gonna get the UHD for my brother's Christmas present. Will probably be able to squeeze a watch.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I wonder how different the audio mix is? I didn't get to see it in the cinema but a friend did, and he had the same complaints we've all heard.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
blu ray review site says that they had almost no problems hearing the dialogue.
Although I was not one who saw Tenet in theaters, many complained about poorly-mixed audio that rendered a good deal of its dialogue tough to understand. (The same was said about Interstellar, among other Nolan films released during the last decade.) Whether or not this DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio track uses that same source mix, I had very little trouble deciphering much of anything that wasn't spoken in a heavy regional dialect.

No Atmos though.
Fundamentally, though, it's pretty much a perfect mix within the boundaries of 5.1... which is the director's preferred format, hence the lack of Dolby Atmos.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that the terrible sound mixing did the movie a service, because my god Tenet has the worst written dialogues of any Nolan film lol.

"Everybody on earth will die!"
(Dramatic music rises)
"INCLUDING MY SON!"

Me, in the cinema: lol

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I feel that the terrible sound mixing did the movie a service, because my god Tenet has the worst written dialogues of any Nolan film lol.

"Everybody on earth will die!"
(Dramatic music rises)
"INCLUDING MY SON!"

Me, in the cinema: lol
She's telling the protagonist she knows Neil is her son and understands their mission. It's not oh my son is more important than the world.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
She's telling the protagonist she knows Neil is her son and understands their mission. It's not oh my son is more important than the world.
What? No, he isn't.

Now, my memory of the movie is a little bit hazy, but I'm pretty sure that
Protagonist recruits Neil in the past, not the future. So unless the son of Debicki somehow also starts moving backwards in time, it's impossible for him to be Neil.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
What? No, he isn't.

Now, my memory of the movie is a little bit hazy, but I'm pretty sure that
Protagonist recruits Neil in the past, not the future. So unless the son of Debicki somehow also starts moving backwards in time, it's impossible for him to be Neil.
The son grew up, got involved in Tenet and was recruited by protag, who then had him inverted back to this time. He says it at the end, this is the end of our long friendship, while for your it's just the beginning. Look at their first meeting, you can see it in Neil's eyes he is simply amazed and in awe at seeing protag and then correctly corrects him on the favorite drink. He has known him for a very long time.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Having seen this recently it's probably the most disappointed I've been coming out of a Nolan film.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy Nolan's work and been waiting to see this, have the UHD coming tomorrow, so will report back thoughts when I get a chance to see it.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020

Sums it up perfectly.

Premise created to serve the visual effect he wishes to use, story built after.

Awful story, convoluted plot (no news there), characters spend so much time explaining what's going on (still complicated).

An amalgamation of most of the worst of Nolan.

Will give him one due, his filming of action has improved.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I adore the movie but that line of dialogue made me groan audibly.

I was slowly getting fed up with that character but that was kind of the breaking point for me. still enjoyed the movie quite a bit though. all the scenes between John David Washington and Pattinson were so good, wish they dialed back a bit on the convoluted plotting because the high concept spy action backbone of the film was fantastic and it was let down by the writing whenever the plot came into play.

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Freaking loved this film. It's so Nolan-y and that's exactly what I wanted lol

Wanna get the 4K Blu-ray but it doesn't seem like my country is getting it :/

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will give him one due, his filming of action has improved.
I'm not sure it really has. He still frames and edits things in a confusing way. Honestly couldn't really follow (or care to follow, for that matter) what was going on in the last big set piece.

Paired with his convoluted plot structures and inaudible sound design, it seems like confusion is Nolan's brand.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

f768767f113a286eefc8ba8c32276771f9a18ca60a1dd62291c87a6cf4af33fc.jpg

I hate when films do this. Amateur hour.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I'm not sure it really has. He still frames and edits things in a confusing way. Honestly couldn't really follow (or care to follow, for that matter) what was going on in the last big set piece.

Paired with his convoluted plot structures and inaudible sound design, it seems like confusion is Nolan's brand.

I agree with you in terms of the action driving the narrative and the flow of set pieces as a means of progression.

I meant rather in the 1 v 1, still not brilliant but compared to the 1 v 1 scale in the likes of Batman trilogy it is much better (although most of that is down to the edit but because it is so common across his work I assume he has a strong hand in the edit).

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

The worst example of this is Tenet's insistence on showing anyone who runs from place to place doing it from the same reverse / front angles every time, with the switch at the same point. The first couple of times I thought it was a nod to the plot, but nope, it's just Nolan's complete unwillingness to let any action play out in its entirety without artificial intervention.