• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I wasn't into him, but now I think he was worth it just for his reaction to the dead agent burial.

Argyle has some amazing scenes. I looove that whole thing with Eden, and also that part in episode 1 when he gives relationship advice to Jonathan.

The decision was 100% a Netflix thing to drive/maintain subscriptions, don't think anything otherwise.

That's the cynical take. And I'm sure there is some truth to it.

But I'm also sure there's some truth to the more positive take, which is about them wanting to release the first few episodes as soon as possible despite the massive workload making season 4 proved to be. At least, that's what the Duffer brothers said.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the cynical take. And I'm sure there is some truth to it.

But I'm also sure there's some truth to the more positive take, which is about them wanting to release the first few episodes as soon as possible despite the massive workload making season 4 proved to be. At least, that's what the Duffer brothers said.

Yeah I don't buy that for a second, thats spin for sure. We already waited 34 months for S4, so why would anyone care if we extended that to 36 months and release all 9 episodes in July? And no, it isn't for Emmy consideration lol.

It's the same shit AMC has been doing for years, although if memory serves the AMC version is more insidious.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is one thing people miss in the debate about splitting seasons or weekly releases. It's the opposite of what people instantly think. They think, oh they're holding the episodes from us, when the reality is the opposite. A single drop is actually when they're holding things until it's all done. Weekly or split releases means they're getting things out earlier. For example, Watchmen, Lindeloff was talking about how they weren't even finished with production on the final episodes when they were on episode 4 or so.

Yeah I don't buy that for a second, thats spin for sure. We already waited 34 months for S4, so why would anyone care if we extended that to 36 months and release all 9 episodes in July? And no, it isn't for Emmy consideration lol.

Well, if you don't care then nothing's stopping you from watching all 9 episodes in July.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

Legit excited for that moment we saw in the very first trailer. When I put two and two together and realized it was Eddie
playing electric guitar on the roof of his trailer in the Upside Down. Knew he was going to survive at least until the end as that's a very ST like final episode moment.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
This is one thing people miss in the debate about splitting seasons or weekly releases. It's the opposite of what people instantly think. They think, oh they're holding the episodes from us, when the reality is the opposite. A single drop is actually when they're holding things until it's all done. Weekly or split releases means they're getting things out earlier. For example, Watchmen, Lindeloff was talking about how they weren't even finished with production on the final episodes when they were on episode 4 or so.
people are gonna complain no matter what.

if netflix released it weekly there'd be people like they're only doing that to get 3 months of subscriptions out of people for the 9 episodes!!!

if they dropped it all once people would complain

people just like to complain.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Steve is going to die bruh

If they kill a main character it just completely goes against everything Stranger Things stands for which is hope always wins in the end. It's an 80s homage, the main characters don't die usually in that kind of movie, it would suck if someone died like that.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Every time they add a new character to this show I think they're overstretching the cast but man do I love them. I do hope we just give the original cast more screen time in this last season and a half.

I mean Will was one of the two main kids in Season 1 and now I barely remember he's on the show even though he's following behind everyone with his poster.

If they kill a main character it just completely goes against everything Stranger Things stands for which is hope always wins in the end. It's an 80s homage, the main characters don't die usually in that kind of movie, it would suck if someone died like that.

I really hope you're right but I wouldn't be shocked if one of the older kids or a parent die.

I think we've got to see the goofy parents so much (outside of Joyce) that it would suck to see even Mike and Nancy's dickhead dad die.

Oct 29, 2017
These will be the last two episodes of season 4. Season 5 will be the last.

Oh what? I thought season 4 was the last. Interesting. They've really dialed it up to 11 this season so they'll have to really pull out all the stops for season 5.

But I'm glad, that gives Hopper more time to actually interact with El and the others, which I was sad about the lack of in season 4.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope you're right but I wouldn't be shocked if one of the older kids or a parent die.

I think we've got to see the goofy parents so much (outside of Joyce) that it would suck to see even Mike and Nancy's dickhead dad die.

I think the show NEEDS the interplay between some of the older teens and the younger teens to really function at full capacity, so wiping one or more of them off the board would just make the final season less fun. Nancy/Steve/Robin just add too much to the show to take them out without losing something integral.

But one of the adults biting it? Easily. I'm certain Jaqen is screwed - the entire reason he survived this long is so that he can be the guy who bites the dust getting Joyce and Hopper out of Russia. Hopper is safe, because you don't death fakeout someone one season just to kill them for real the very next season without having them accomplish anything - unless the actor turns out to be a total shithead, which Harbour by all accounts is not. And I just can't see them killing Joyce (yet) when she left her kids without even saying goodbye.

As far as the other parents are concerned, I don't really know. If Karen Wheeler suddenly gets an episode out of the blue where she becomes a major focus, she's fucked. The rest of the parents I can't see having enough personal importance to the audience to make a death scene meaningful.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I find this strange because what I've gathered over the years is women aren't THAT into body hair on men. Anecdotal of course.
You do realize taste change and in the 80's chest hair was part of male sex appeal.

51cajI5ggKL._AC_SY445_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the Cali team still looks to be the same as before, despite the Utah detour they're not bringing Suzie or Eden along.

Oct 30, 2017
To me this season has a very different tone and outlook than the last 3 seasons. It is paying homage to horror especially Nightmare on Elm Street and IT. In that regard, it isn't unlikely that one of the main cast does die in a "final sacrifice" sort of way.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018

Steve was originally planned to die back in season one. His time is ticking lol. I hope not though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Steve was originally planned to die back in season one. His time is ticking lol. I hope not though.

That is honestly meaningless at this point. The series outline the show has been built on was written after Season 1, and after they realized his character was too special to kill off.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I mean, it should've been Hopper, but that ship has sailed now. lol

I'm going to be honest, this whole Russian Prison Camp subplot has been dumb as hell in my opinion.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this Stranger Things Season 4 Volume 2 - second look.

We already had a trailer prior to this "first look"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it should've been Hopper, but that ship has sailed now. lol

I'm going to be honest, this whole Russian Prison Camp subplot has been dumb as hell in my opinion.

Agreed. Last season was the ideal time to kill Hopper off, instead we've wasted a huge chunk of this season on a sidequest that the show really, really didn't need, that takes away screentime that could've gone toward making the California arc actually feel satisfying instead of annoying and frustrating.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Agreed. Last season was the ideal time to kill Hopper off, instead we've wasted a huge chunk of this season on a sidequest that the show really, really didn't need, that takes away screentime that could've gone toward making the California arc actually feel satisfying instead of annoying and frustrating.

Yeah, like there was legit one good scene where Hopper had that heart-to-heart about the death of his wife and daughter, but weighing that against everything else with the subplot I don't think it was worth bringing him back.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like there was legit one good scene where Hopper had that heart-to-heart about the death of his wife and daughter, but weighing that against everything else with the subplot I don't think it was worth bringing him back.

The other way you could've done it was to just leave him "dead" for most of the season and bring him back in the last few episodes with a much shorter subplot, rather than making it one of the three - then four, once Eleven breaks off on her own to have Season 2 Redux - primary storylines of the whole season.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how they are going to clear Eddie's name considering the town mob is convinced he killed that girl and are wrapped up in the Satanic Panic.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I think there will be some big payoff to Russia. There has to be. I saw some shots from the sneak peek and some of the shit they see there may make it all worth it. But they need to get back to America asap.

I'm assuming they will because otherwise three kids are gonna be on their own for however long this time skip is.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how they are going to clear Eddie's name considering the town mob is convinced he killed that girl and are wrapped up in the Satanic Panic.

It's really only possible if they scapegoat someone else, and I think the only person it's really possible to do this with would be Jason (Chrissy's boyfriend). He was originally suspected of being involved in Chrissy's death, and then was at the site of another Vecna murder. Even with his alibi with Chrissy's murder, it's not like the townsfolk care especially about facts. There would also be some poetry in him being the one leading the charge of the satanic panic and getting turned on by the very people he's leading.

I can concoct a scenario like him stumbling upon another Vecna victim alone and then townsfolk finding him, or something like that. But he's literally the only other person I think it could be realistically all be pinned on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be some big payoff to Russia. There has to be. I saw some shots from the sneak peek and some of the shit they see there may make it all worth it. But they need to get back to America asap.

I'm assuming they will because otherwise three kids are gonna be on their own for however long this time skip is.

I'm sure Russia will pay off in some form, I'm just not sure that giving it this much focus was worth the narrative cost to the non-Hawkins portions of the show.

It's really only possible if they scapegoat someone else, and I think the only person it's really possible to do this with would be Jason (Chrissy's boyfriend). He was originally suspected of being involved in Chrissy's death, and then was at the site of another Vecna murder. Even with his alibi with Chrissy's murder, it's not like the townsfolk care especially about facts. There would also be some poetry in him being the one leading the charge of the satanic panic and getting turned on by the very people he's leading.

I can concoct a scenario like him stumbling upon another Vecna victim alone and then townsfolk finding him, or something like that. But he's literally the only other person I think it could be realistically all be pinned on.

Especially if Jason goes completely nuts like the show is pretty clearly telegraphing.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you don't care then nothing's stopping you from watching all 9 episodes in July.
What are you even talking about? I watched 4.1, and was happy to. And ill be happy to watch 4.2 and 5. My point isn't about when to watch or to wait. I'm just simply saying that the entire reason for the split season is to drive subscriptions and for nothing else. It was not a creative decision. And that's fine, but let's call a spade a spade.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
What are you even talking about? I watched 4.1, and was happy to. And ill be happy to watch 4.2 and 5. My point isn't about when to watch or to wait. I'm just simply saying that the entire reason for the split season is to drive subscriptions and for nothing else. It was not a creative decision. And that's fine, but let's call a spade a spade.
The entire reason for holding content back in order to release it at once was also to drive subscriptions in that it was market differentiator with value. Netflix was known for binge, which was a big difference with the new digital content distribution, but that sort of thing has faded at least somewhat.

I'm not arguing with calling a spade a spade, it's just that people only call one side a spade. It's only a monetary decision if they decide not to hold everything back to release at once for some reason.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

i don't believe that was entirely it, two big reasons

1. i don't think the VFX was done for the second half by April
2. the Emmy deadline is May 31st for 2022 season, episodes have to drop by then

So they dropped what they could by May 31st and were still working on the VFX up until recently I believe for part 2.

Its a similar reason why Better Call Saul was split (also Odenkirk had a heart attack while filming episode 8 so that shut down the sets for a while).

I definitely HATE split seasons and it was maddening during the days of Breaking Bad / Mad Men but those had 6-10 month waits between seasons, I'm fine with a 6 week delay. One other reason is contractual, actors are signed to X seasons and splitting a season is a way around extending contracts.

I do hope ST season 5 moves to week to week, thats infinitely better imo but thats another thread. Its really nice reading/writing about BCS, Boys, Obi-Wan, Andor, etc week to week while I feel like the Stranger Things meta talk has almost vanished.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i don't believe that was entirely it, two big reasons

1. i don't think the VFX was done for the second half by April
2. the Emmy deadline is May 31st for 2022 season, episodes have to drop by then

So they dropped what they could by May 31st and were still working on the VFX up until recently I believe for part 2.

Its a similar reason why Better Call Saul was split (also Odenkirk had a heart attack while filming episode 8 so that shut down the sets for a while).

I definitely HATE split seasons and it was maddening during the days of Breaking Bad / Mad Men but those had 6-10 month waits between seasons, I'm fine with a 6 week delay. One other reason is contractual, actors are signed to X seasons and splitting a season is a way around extending contracts.

I do hope ST season 5 moves to week to week, thats infinitely better imo but thats another thread. Its really nice reading/writing about BCS, Boys, Obi-Wan, Andor, etc week to week while I feel like the Stranger Things meta talk has almost vanished.

See, I still don't buy either of your points. Effects aren't done/ready in April (which I do believe, let me be clear)? Then you just take the 2 months and finish them and release them in July all at once like all your previous seasons. With respect to the Emmy cutoff (and you're not first to posit this reasoning for the 7/2 split)....Stranger Things has never won an Emmy for any of the above the line stuff (none for writing/directing/acting/best drama etc), so they aren't Emmy darlings, so I don't believe that either. You guys really think they split the season to have a shot at an editing pr effects Emmy twice instead of once? C'mon.To me there is one clear-cut reason for the split.

You're right about the AMC shows, which is why I earlier said their splits were even more insidious - they were trying to drive subscriptions like Netflix is doing here AND being complete and utter loophole cheapskate bastards with their talent (which Netflix isn't doing here).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Steve was supposed to die when he was a one-dimensional rival for Jonathan/false love interest for Nancy, not a main character.

It's also important to note that in the draft of the script where Steve died early, Jonathan and Will's dad was the character who showed up at the end of S1 to surprise rescue the kids.

So as soon as they realized Steve was a main character and not death fodder, Season 1 already pivoted hard away from the original script. We STILL haven't seen Papa Byers in the show, and unless Joyce dies in the next two episodes, I don't think we ever will.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
When someone pointed out to me that Maya Hawke is Uma Thurman's daughter it's all I can see now.

I especially think she looks like her mom in this season. Last season, I might not have noticed. Now, every other time she's on camera I see it.

It's also important to note that in the draft of the script where Steve died early, Jonathan and Will's dad was the character who showed up at the end of S1 to surprise rescue the kids.

So as soon as they realized Steve was a main character and not death fodder, Season 1 already pivoted hard away from the original script. We STILL haven't seen Papa Byers in the show, and unless Joyce dies in the next two episodes, I don't think we ever will.

Lonnie Byers was in season 1

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
People quoting me and mentioning someone from Breaking Bad, I've never seen it so a bit off topic but, if I liked The Ozark, will I like Breaking Bad?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People quoting me and mentioning someone from Breaking Bad, I've never seen it so a bit off topic but, if I liked The Ozark, will I like Breaking Bad?
Ozark doesn't exist without Breaking Bad, and it's a vastly inferior diet version of it. If you like Ozark, you should be over the moon with Breaking Bad (and Better Call Saul)