• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Saw it. Crazy. One of my friends I was with was raised in a abusive home thought it was brilliant especially the way parts of the game were a coping mechanism for him and the journal really struck home.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
hahahahaha, based on the trailer would've never guessed THAT.

Would love to see the reactions of people seeing this unfold in real time.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Haha that actually piqued my interest. Might have to watch it one day!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds worse than Collateral Beauty from a year or so back. Here's the ending for that if you don't remember that Will Smith bomb:
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/will-smith-collateral-beauty-twist-ending-box-office
Smith's character writes letters to abstract concepts, but the three don't start visiting him in a magical-realist manner. That would make more sense. No, "Love," "Time," and "Death" are actually actors hired by Norton, Winslet, and Peña to trick Smith's character into going insane so that they can take control of their struggling ad company. Imagine if Bob Cratchit hired street performers to play the ghosts to haunt Scrooge. A little fucked up, right?

Does the film end with Smith finding out that his "friends" at the ad company have been mentally sabotaging him? Nope, of course not. That would make too much sense. Instead, the film's final image shows Smith going for a chipper stroll in Central Park with Harris. He looks back over a bridge and again sees "Time," "Love," and "Death" smiling down at him, and then he looks away for a moment and they disappear, which suggests… I don't even know. That characters we know are actors were actually angels all along? That Smith is now seeing illusions thanks to his co-workers' plan? That the screenwriter had no idea how to end the movie so he just went for something vaguely uplifting?

I... what.

Thank you for giving me even more of these to be baffled by.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not at the cinemas but I'm definitely giving this a watch at some point.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Now if they got one layer deeper and made it a secret sequel to Frailty it would have gone around to awesome.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I wonder what it was about this that convinced talent like McC and Hathaway to sign on to this. Like, they read the script beforehand, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I wonder what it was about this that convinced talent like McC and Hathaway to sign on to this. Like, they read the script beforehand, right?
Names get attached to projects, attract bigger names. Steven Knight, while hit and miss, is a respected director. Seems high concept.

I doubt most of them are sifting through entire scripts these days before agreeing, assuming they got one before agreeing to it.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Damn it, I enjoyed the whole thing. The ending isn't as out of nowhere as some reviews have suggested. lol

Not for nothing but so far, the best I've seen this year.

Last edited:

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hahahahaha, based on the trailer would've never guessed THAT.

Would love to see the reactions of people seeing this unfold in real time.

I believe this is the gif you are looking for:

tenor.gif

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 8 hours removed from having seen this movie and still have figured out what I saw. I loved it? I hated it? My mind is fried. I can't process this movie right now.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be pretty funny this this was crazier than the end of Sea of Trees *reads*

Oh man, I need to see this now.

Maybe McConaughey just has a thing for really dumb twists lol

Nov 27, 2017
Was mildly interested, but I have to admit my interest was piqued after all the reports about some kind of crazy, random twist.

It sure had that. Wasn't a fan of the movie though.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Geez, kid, modding a fishing game into a murder simulator? That's a lot of work. Just stick him into GTA, I'm sure the abusive father isn't the type to care about ESRB ratings.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
There's a part of me that wants to see this now and I'm not sure I like that part of me.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
As others have already noted, the Star Ocean 3 similarities have obvious. Incredible that movie writers would attempt this, will give this one a pass.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Crazy to think this was written and directed by the same dude responsible for Locke, Peaky Blinders and Taboo.

He did write Burnt tho...

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I just went to see this purely based on the fact that it was supposed to be trash with a ridiculous twist ending and... I was kinda let down? I mean it wasn't that great but the twist was pretty blatantly telegraphed early on with a really bizarre shot where
the camera randomly twists around McConaughey like he's a player character in a video game
It was basically just a mediocre episode of Black Mirror but with painfully slow pacing to justify the runtime, not worth the massively hyperbolic reviews calling it "terrible and insane" or "an infuriating mess".

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I just went to see this purely based on the fact that it was supposed to be trash with a ridiculous twist ending and... I was kinda let down? I mean it wasn't that great but the twist was pretty blatantly telegraphed early on with a really bizarre shot where
the camera randomly twists around McConaughey like he's a player character in a video game
It was basically just a mediocre episode of Black Mirror but with painfully slow pacing to justify the runtime, not worth the massively hyperbolic reviews calling it "terrible and insane" or "an infuriating mess".
Yeah, agreed completely. Just got out of it. It is not nearly entertaining enough for people to be calling it a future cult classic.

'Serenity' sinks from lack of suspense, point
Headline from a local paper, totally accurate. Movie was entirely pointless.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
i saw it

it's not good

it's not so bad it's good

it's just bad

watch it on netflix or something don't actually spend money on it
Yeah, I should add I have AMC AList so saw it for "free." Would not be happy if I'd spent money. Like it's not even really a twist and yeah it's wacky when you write it out in a few paragraphs, but it just doesn't translate to the screen at all.

It reminded me of the Book of Henry. Like all the performances are fine, the movie looks and sounds like a well put together movie, but the story and script are just blah in a very flat way, despite sounding like it's gone into so-bad-it's-good territory. But like Steve said, it's just bad.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck did they get TWO Oscar winners to star in this?

ALSO:

Valkyrie Profile takes place inside the same MMORPG, because there truly is no God.
Maria outright mentions the planet Valkyrie Profile takes place on in dialogue a couple of times, including Bloodbane, the recurring dragon superboss that plagues you throughout the first game.
I must have blocked that out of my memory. Holy shit.

I must block it out once again.

vegohead

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie

The boy's smile at the end was bittersweet. He always has his dad in the virtual world he created.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's crazy is that Knight wrote and directed Locke and wrote the screenplay for Eastern Promises, both of which are fantastic movies.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
Just saw that. Went in knowing absolutely nothing about it.
Then watched the trailer after getting home.
This can't be a real movie. It has to be a practical joke right? It's absolutly wild.