• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are just comparing the situation they're in not the talents

I still think that other than the director change, they are different situations. The time crunch situation for 9 could have been avoided if the writers didn't spend the first half of the movie undoing plot points from previous movies. They should have focused on closing the sequel trilogy instead of bringing back Palpatine and "closing the 9-film saga".

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, StarTrek 09 is nearly perfect at reintroducing Trek while being a launching pad into a new franchise. We're talking like, a masterclass in film production and decision making. There were a few stupid things in it, but overall it was an amazing achievement.

That Star Trek is awful for the simple fact it is everything Star Trek isn't.

It was a proto Star Wars reboot.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I said it before, I expected hackery from JJ. However, I expected a incredibly safe crowd pleaser. Not a barely legible film. Literally the worst SW film released. That's purely because of the shit production timeline he was given.

Just imagine everything here but with JJ, Treverrow had years to think about and get into pre-production for Episode IX. JJ had none of that:

Goddamn, Peter Jackson looks so fucking broken

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I still think that other than the director change, they are different situations. The time crunch situation for 9 could have been avoided if the writers didn't spend the first half of the movie undoing plot points from previous movies. They should have focused on closing the sequel trilogy instead of bringing back Palpatine and "closing the 9-film saga".
Fair point

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She needs to go. She was in charge and Fu*** up 4,5 out of 5 movies . Rogue one was saved by the 3rd act.

The fact she wasn't let go much earlier is crazy for such a huge company like Disney. They were firing people left and right on these movies.

No way she will stay. Hope favreau and feloni with George Lucas take over.

I'm not a huge fan of Kathleen and often find her really out of touch and almost dispassionate with Star Wars going by her interviews. However I'm puzzled why anyone would expect her to be sacked? Most movies she has produced have largely performed well haven't they at the box office?

Not sure whose idea Solo was ...

Oct 30, 2017
Goddamn, Peter Jackson looks so fucking broken
What's really fucking sad is that he started a production diary series when Hobbit 1 was being made and then it completely disappeared once the 2nd film started production. I think that was the point where they were started to struggle staying on schedule and it was made even worse by the third film when PJ was literally having to write scenes on the fly because production time was so truncated. He looked really happy when shooting the first film at least.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That Star Trek is awful for the simple fact it is everything Star Trek isn't.

It was a proto Star Wars reboot.
Depend on what you like about Star Trek. For me, I love the original series because at its heart it was about three very different friends. That's why I loved the first Abrams movie, cause it recaptured that. Beyond is the best of those three movies though.

What's really fucking sad is that he started a production diary series when Hobbit 1 was being made and then it completely disappeared once the 2nd film started production. I think that was the point where they were started to struggle staying on schedule and it was made even worse by the third film when PJ was literally having to write scenes on the fly because production time was so truncated. He looked really happy when shooting the first film at least.

Shit only went upside down when the demand for the third movie happened. That's what put them on an impossible schedule between the reshoots and the post production on the first and second movie going right down to the wire.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of Kathleen and often find her really out of touch and almost dispassionate with Star Wars going by her interviews. However I'm puzzled why anyone would expect her to be sacked? Most movies she has produced have largely performed well haven't they at the box office?

Wasn't Solo a deal that got Kasden to help with TFA.

Who knows about KK, she brought bank every time pretty much and Disney only cares about that. Maybe she will bow out on her own terms. Think she is getting put into the BAFTA hall of fame or whatever it is this year if that means anything.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This movie seems like a production disaster. And now it's just endless people pointing fingers at each other saying "oh it's their fault."

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I said this before but fuck it, maybe production wouldn't be so rushed if only LucasFilms adapt and improve upon post-RotJ EU stories.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Anybody can make money with
STAR WARS. She and the people working for her did a terrible job with this brand until now. How can you pi"" off so many people at once.

Somebody new needs to take over. Kennedy had her chance for far to long.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
STAR WARS. She and the people working for her did a terrible job with this brand until now. How can you pi"" off so many people at once.

Careful. They'll accuse you of being an alt-right troll.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Well that's kinda the point, the time crunch situation is what caused the writers to ham fist the plot together and be editing it together at the last minute to release. Disney tossed out all the work that was done and brought on JJ with very little preproduction time at all, having to get going right away. This could have been avoided if the trilogy had a clear plan going but it didn't and Disney bouncing around with directors and scripts didn't help anything but create a giant mess

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

What's the standard here? Failing to turn Star Wars into a Marvel sized cash cow?

Cause she's overseen multiple successful Star Wars movies. Multiple that had good audience responses. Multiple had good reviews. The only real mistake I can see is the director changes on Solo and on TROS (although most would disagree with me that it may have been better sticker with Treverow, espescially given how much ERA hates the guy).

The last Star Wars thing I watched that she was a producer (albeit an exec) on was the Mandalorian season finale, which was fantastic. If it's true that TROS was rushed to meet a release date, that's almost certainly a big part of the problem and that sounds more like a Disney thing than a Lucasfilm thing.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
All these poor working people caught up in this badly managed product, now trying to explain their role so they hopefully have a job in the future.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I think what Lucasfilm really needs is a creative that controls the direction of the franchise. Whether its filoni, favreau or whomever. KK is a producer, she's not writing or directing these things.

She's fully capable of putting out movies, but there also needs to be some consistent creative direction of the franchise as a whole.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

I agree with this. Launch a SW film at Christmas and it will make a ton of cash whoever is in charge but have good leadership and the stories might actually make sense. The brand has taken a massive hit under her leadership and is kind of a meme at this point. At the end of the day the buck stops with her not the underlings.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Solo a deal that got Kasden to help with TFA.

Sort of. Solo was one of the movies Lucas had been toying around with (VII, a Boba Fett movie, and a Han Solo movie). To convince Kasdan to come on board, they gave him the Han Solo movie. It was always in the plan either way though.

The Boba Fett movie got canceled after the Trank debacle.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The surprising thing is that many fans / people in here think that the previous films were somehow free from copeous amounts of fan service.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can blame KK and Lucasfilm for it all, the buck stops at Disney who own them. They pushed for TFA early, so much so that nobody but JJ would touch it on that time frame and they even managed a delay, think how much worse it would have been and hell, Ford accident too forced their hand as well so it might have been even more rushed. It all stems from Disney rushing for money. Sure, there has been narrative, planning mistakes but how the dots connect with everything else, it's hard to tell other than they had no plan. What we do know is Disney rushed Star Wars once they got it and it set off a series of events. Dumping the EU then coming up with that shit in record time, well done.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
As a video editor, this is far from the editor's fault and the largest issues of the film are far from just 'pacing and editing.' The script is rotten to the core, and embedded in that script is the haphazardly rushed pace and relentless plotting. "The film would have been fun if not for post-production" misses the deeper foundational problems with the film.

I agree with this.

I didn't really have a problem with the breakneck pace, and the two levels of editing-- in scene, and scene-to-scene-- seemed fine. What was off was the story choices.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a video editor, this is far from the editor's fault and the largest issues of the film are far from just 'pacing and editing.' The script is rotten to the core, and embedded in that script is the haphazardly rushed pace and relentless plotting. "The film would have been fun if not for post-production" misses the deeper foundational problems with the film.
It's not the editor's fault, it's the director's fault (or if that reddit post is to be believed, the studio's fault), but the 'pacing and editing' are absolutely the biggest problems with the movie.... unless you've actually seen the script/until the script has been made public. Because I think it's reasonable to assume that the script was more fleshed out and had longer scenes between characters (especially if there were cuts that existed over 3 hours long), which would have allowed the movie to breathe much more -- it was just cut to the bone.

I say this because I can't believe the script was actually as thin as what we got on screen.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
There are serious #ReleaseTheJJCut videos on YouTube now. I hate this world...

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The surprising thing is that many fans / people in here think that the previous films were somehow free from copeous amounts of fan service.
Who is saying that?

There's a difference between "let's put some fanservice in this scene here" to "let's list out the fanservice we want and then plot something between them all to connect them" which is what TRoS feels like

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, but I wouldn't have minded 12/2020. There's been so many sw films, the music with the opening crawl didn't really hype me this time.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The idea of Snoke clones was added entirely in post production

"I just think that came up as a visual effect that we thought would be really fun for an audience, to create a visual that would tell that whole story," she said. "I believe that's successful. We didn't have to change a lot of dialogue. You just see one shot […] and you kind of get it. I love stuff like that. We can just have a moment where you just see something in the background and you go, 'OK, I totally get that.'"
That's like the one moment of using the frame to tell the story in the whole film.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty easy to piss off all the StarWars fanboys.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This film truly was the Justice League of the Star Wars series, right down to the frantic editing to try and save the film.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Fair, but at least it was some actual craft on display.

True. I thought a lot of the action was well shot and edited as well. The whole of the Endor System sequence was pretty great except for random Evil Rey. Loved the fighting with waves crashing around. One of the few novel visuals in the whole movie.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
True. I thought a lot of the action was well shot and edited as well. The whole of the Endor System sequence was pretty great except for random Evil Rey. Loved the fighting with waves crashing around. One of the few novel visuals in the whole movie.
You're right, there are handsome shots and scenes as well, but I honestly can't remember any of them because of the pacing.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
One of the biggest complaints thrown at "Rise of Skywalker" is that the movie is pure fan service, which is not a claim Brandon will try to fight. "Look, sure, it's fan service," the editor said, "[but] if you didn't service the fans, it would be, 'Oh, he didn't go along with the history of 'Star Wars' and what it all means.''
You can service the fans by servicing the characters and you can go along with "history" without recreating the same film. Man that's a bad take.

Saying people didn't like Rian Johnson for inventing hyperspace jumps and force skype and other things for complicating and messing with the established universe is not the same thing as hating "change."

People like the EU, people like the side stories for the most part hell people are enjoying Mando and Fallen Order. It's really weird for everyone to echo this when all we've seen out of the new Trilogy is carbon copies of the original, and aside from a few tweaks, that included TLJ.

Fanservice is one thing, but just buckling down with your tail between your legs because TLJ was considered bad by many (including myself) that doesn't mean we go "Let's just remake shit again."

It's like no one ever reads "actual" feedback about media, and just goes with the loud minority and assumes they're bad. Audiences may not know what they want but that doesn't mean you can't get meaning out of it and adapt/change/edit/improve.

FWIW, StarTrek 09 is nearly perfect at reintroducing Trek while being a launching pad into a new franchise. We're talking like, a masterclass in film production and decision making. There were a few stupid things in it, but overall it was an amazing achievement.

Give a person a better environment and they will make better decisions every time.

It irks me a bit when JJ is referred to as a hack. While he's not a deft storyteller when it comes to originality, he is one of the best mainstream directors in the world, and is extremely talented.
Agreed. He can direct for sure.

Like most creators they just need....editing. And without studio heads being the ones doing it mandating the changes usually.

But as the other person said I do agree that it kind of ruined Trek for lots of people. Like this new Star Wars Trilogy nothing "Feels" the same and it all kinda feels like the same shit.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt hate the movie nearly as much as some did, but I do find the behind the scenes stories and conspiracies about the late edits and cuts far more fascinating than anything in the actual movie.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

That fight went on too long, it almost became comical due to its length.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
If any of this is true about Disney sabotaging JJ then my criticism of him for the TRoS mess is unfair and wrong. I think the allegations would be pretty easy to corroborate.

I was posting in that other thread and as soon as I hit send it got closed lol. But basically you'd have to have the naivety of a toddler to believe Disney would cut off their billion dollar franchise nose to spite their one dollar competition face lol.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I wonder if we will see some really good fan edits that come out of this trilogy. There are a lot of great moments in this trilogy, maybe moving some stuff around could really fix some of the issues with the overall story arc and pacing.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Disney set a December 20, 2019 release date for the movie that could not be moved"

It could totally be moved, though.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
"Disney set a December 20, 2019 release date for the movie that could not be moved"

It could totally be moved, though.

Probably not when it was needed by. Movie like Star Wars also is heavily depending on merch sales, licensing agreements, marketing agreements, etc. The need to push the release date needed to happen a long time ago before the ball got rolling on all the cross selling.