• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

"We were definitely still trying to figure out a lot of stuff," Brandon said about the sped-up editing process. "It's a struggle. It affected everything. About a third of the way through, [Lucasfilm president] Kathy [Kennedy] was like, 'JJ has got to spend more time in the cutting room.' And I knew that wasn't going to happen. Not with the schedule that we were on. Not with what he was dealing with on a daily basis…he was just exhausted at the end of the day."

"According to Brandon's estimates, the "Rise of Skywalker" crew had three months less to work on the latest "Star Wars" movie than was the case for "Force Awakens." Disney set a December 20, 2019 release date for the movie that could not be moved, forcing Brandon to edit on set so that the production schedule was maintained."

"In a time when the whole world is polarized, it should not be a film that is polarizing. Basically, the message of the film is, 'Hey you know what? You can be bad and good can come into your life. And maybe if you're open-minded to it, extraordinary things can change your mind. And you have to believe there's always hope.''

''One of the biggest complaints thrown at "Rise of Skywalker" is that the movie is pure fan service, which is not a claim Brandon will try to fight. "Look, sure, it's fan service," the editor said, "[but] if you didn't service the fans, it would be, 'Oh, he didn't go along with the history of 'Star Wars' and what it all means.''

Oct 25, 2017
what it comes down to is that the executives decided it was more important to release something that made of lot of money than to release something good, and the result is a shitty product. we've seen it thousands of times

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My impression the entire time I was watching the film was that it could have been much, much better if it had been edited competently.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
JJ Abrams could have had an extra two years, his dumb ideas and storytelling proclivities would still be there.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TROS feels like an incoherent mess made out of three other movies and I am not sure more time to edit it would have fixed any of the fundamental flaws in JJ Abrams misguided storytelling.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
what it comes down to is that the executives decided it was more important to release something that made of lot of money than to release something good, and the result is a shitty product. we've seen it thousands of times

Bingo.

It's The Hobbit Trilogy all over again.

"Hey, can I get more time after you fired your first hire?"

"LOL, no. Our entire forecast for the next three fiscal years has already been planned and budgeted and my bonus is tied to this movie releasing now. Get choppin'."

JJ Abrams could have had an extra two years, his dumb ideas and storytelling proclivities would still be there.

The hope is that with an extra year he may not have resorted to such easy shortcuts such as a resurrected Palpatine.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Fan service is ruining entertainment.

The OT obviously had to stand on its own feet without fan service so why couldn't these films do the same. Instead it's all wink wink remember this from the OT...PT suffered the same with R2 and C-3PO.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Just to compare, Lucas used his own friggin money to finance Empire Strikes Back just so the studio couldn't meddle with his shit and the result is the GOAT film.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Disney and the Lucasfilm management are a bunch of sellout cowards and I'm not giving them a single cent from now on.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
rushing anything always leads to garbage. not a surprise it turned out like that. they just shat something out to placate the super hardcore and ended up not pleasing anyone

Oct 26, 2017
Bingo.

It's The Hobbit Trilogy all over again.

"Hey, can I get more time after you fired your first hire?"

"LOL, no. Our entire forecast for the next three fiscal years has already been planned and budgeted and my bonus is tied to this movie releasing now. Get choppin'."

The hope is that with an extra year he may not have resorted to such easy shortcuts such as a resurrected Palpatine.
My mind immediately went to The Hobbit too. I'm picturing a JJ, just like a Jackson, who was given a shit task with a shit timetable, and forced to crank something out.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There were two years between each of these sequels whole every other Star Wars movie had three years in between. With Trevorrow's firing and the loss of Carrie Fisher, shit got crunched in awkward ways even further.

Fundamentally bad ideas are worthy of their own criticism, but the firm release date absolutely put this film in a rushed state, and it shows in every regard.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They've been doing this since day one with Disney StarWars.

During TFA, JJ Abrams threatened to quit TFA if it's release date wasn't moved further out.

Even the timeframe they had for TFA forced a mad dash production. They had even LESS time to work on this. To make matters worse, they were the last minute call ins because for some reason, Kathleen Kennedy thought that Treverrow was the person to stick the landing for IX. So every creative coming on board was blind sided and had to lay down tracks as the film was being shot. Hence the comment that the editor edited on set.

Throw in the issues with the trilogy inherented from TFAs mistake and especially how TLJ left things, along with the death of Fisher, and yeah.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't they just delay it to next year, Disney has very little for next year anyway while this year was overstuffed.

Both Aladdin and Lion King in the same summer was overkill too.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some more comments from the editor

There was originally "a little more information about it, what was keeping [Palpatine] alive," but, Brandon said, "it seemed to go off topic." "There was so much information in the film and so many characters that we wanted to have an audience concentrate on. I think we felt we didn't want to clutter the film up with things you didn't need to know," she said.

The idea of Snoke clones was added entirely in post production

"I just think that came up as a visual effect that we thought would be really fun for an audience, to create a visual that would tell that whole story," she said. "I believe that's successful. We didn't have to change a lot of dialogue. You just see one shot […] and you kind of get it. I love stuff like that. We can just have a moment where you just see something in the background and you go, 'OK, I totally get that.'"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My mind immediately went to The Hobbit too. I'm picturing a JJ, just like a Jackson, who was given a shit task with a shit timetable, and forced to crank something out.

I said it before, I expected hackery from JJ. However, I expected a incredibly safe crowd pleaser. Not a barely legible film. Literally the worst SW film released. That's purely because of the shit production timeline he was given.

Just imagine everything here but with JJ, Treverrow had years to think about and get into pre-production for Episode IX. JJ had none of that:

Oct 26, 2017
They've been doing this since day one with Disney StarWars.

During TFA, JJ Abrams threatened to quit TFA if it's release date wasn't moved further out.

Even the timeframe they had for TFA forced a mad dash production. They had even LESS time to work on this. To make matters worse, they were the last minute call ins because for some reason, Kathleen Kennedy thought that Treverrow was the person to stick the landing for IX. So every creative coming on board was blind sided and had to lay down tracks as the film was being shot.
And Trevorrow ever being considered after his garbage JP shows all they cared about was that money he was pulling in.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Keep passing the buck, clearly it's leaderships fault. Why do these people agree to interviews lol

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing people complain about the editing. What specifically was bad about it? Just curious for some personal opinions here.

Scenes aren't allowed to breath, plot points are constantly being thrown on screen, characters randomly appear on frame out of nowhere, and there's a lot of poor scene transitions.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
this thing needed to get delayed a year so badly.

i hated watching it but I still empathize with being judged on the basis of a product that was made under unreasonable constraints.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This entire trilogy ended up being such a wreck.

I remember being so excited for this when it was announced.

And this is what we got.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I keep seeing people complain about the editing. What specifically was bad about it? Just curious for some personal opinions here.
Especially the first half of this movie, it feels like a movie on 1.5 speed. There is rarely time to settle into a location, let alone establish where you are. They just cut from mission-to-mission, chase after chase.

The opening bit with Kylo takes absolutely no time to build to the next moment. Oh he's killing guys. Oh, he's grabbing a thing? Oh now he's in his ship. On now his ship is... okay where is he going? Wait... Kylo what is this place? Can we just look around for... okay shit we're now down in this lab? Who are these guys? Wait, where is Palpatine? What is this thing he's behind? What?

Then you cut to this ludicrously rapid pace action sequence with Poe and Finn with no time to breath and everyone yelling.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I can't stop laughing, I'm a broken record at this point but everything that comes out about this film only makes me dislike it more

Oct 30, 2017
Star Wars: Battle of the Five Armies

I really hope the backlash gets Disney to rethink what they're doing with the franchise.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, everyone in production has just abandoned fucking ship, haven't they?

I don't think I've ever seen this before, certianly not on a movie with this kind of budget. It hasn't been 3 weeks since Rise of Skywalker came out and actors and now production teams are all copping to how shit it is.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The pacing and editing was the worst thing about the film.

Agreed, I would have been in the "its very flawed but fun" camp if it weren't for the editing and pacing

As a video editor, this is far from the editor's fault and the largest issues of the film are far from just 'pacing and editing.' The script is rotten to the core, and embedded in that script is the haphazardly rushed pace and relentless plotting. "The film would have been fun if not for post-production" misses the deeper foundational problems with the film.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, do we know who Matt Smith was supposed to play? Was it the dead guy on not-Tatooine?

Jesus, everyone in production has just abandoned fucking ship, haven't they?

I don't think I've ever seen this before, certianly not on a movie with this kind of budget. It hasn't been 3 weeks since Rise of Skywalker came out and actors and now production teams are all copping to how shit it is.
No one has done that.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pacing and editing was the worst thing about the film.
Agreed. Felt like their solution to slimming down a 3 hour movie wasn't to cut scenes, but was instead to keep all the scene and just cut off the beginning and the end of each one. The pace was utterly insane. Forget feeling any emotions, it took my full mental effort to just keep track of what was going on in this movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Why not delay it?!? This isn't like a small peg MCU movie where it could get overshadowed shortly after. This was a big mainline movie for LF.

Kennedy show go on early retirement on how this film was handled