• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 21, 2018
If Palpatine survived the end of Return of the Jedi, I have absolutely no reason to think he still isn't alive. When Star Wars comes back in a few years, I have no reason to believe the first order won't just rise up again under Palpatine.

It really is such a trash trilogy. Sure the prequels weren't great, but the ST had the opportunity to take the series to new heights and it just buried it in the ground.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who actually likes TROS (but has issues with it!), Poe's line - "somehow palpatine returned" is just so so so awful. One of the biggest missed opportunities is a simple case of show, don't tell. How much more powerful would it have been to see the resistance hearing the message of palpatine's voice as opposed to "eh he's back we guess?"

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who actually likes TROS (but has issues with it!), Poe's line - "somehow palpatine returned" is just so so so awful. One of the biggest missed opportunities is a simple case of show, don't tell. How much more powerful would it have been to see the resistance hearing the message of palpatine's voice as opposed to "eh he's back we guess?"
The movie really should have opened with the Fortnite Broadcast. Though in a perfect world it is how 8 would have ended. 8 ending with Kylo thinking he has ascended to the top of the Galaxy only to find out the Phantom Emperor is still out there.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
The movie really should have opened with the Fortnite Broadcast. Though in a perfect world it is how 8 would have ended. 8 ending with Kylo thinking he has ascended to the top of the Galaxy only to find out the Phantom Emperor is still out there.

Would have been a pretty crazy cliffhanger (if they had planned it).

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I liked Rise of Skywalker. And Last Jedi is my favorite Star Wars film.

I had issues with Rise of Skywalker... But in the end I liked it.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017

This would have worked if the movies had any sense of continuity or structure that held them together.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I just thought, like in Vietnam or some other war, if right at the closing year of the war Hitler returns lol. The cast of the new trilogy are fairly young and I don't think Palpatine means much to them, like an icon of evil in history books, who had probably been ridiculed by their generation as a horrible loser who was killed by his own number 2 for threatening his son.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Palpatine has been in every trailer and his return was announced by Lucasfilm half a year before the movie came out. They want you to know he's in it. It's not a spoiler.
Didn't know, sorry had basically a complete media blackout. I pay to not have ads on many things and dont watch non internet TV so I haven't seen much

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire Star Wars Saga basically happens because of Palpatine so having him back really isn't that bad to wrap up the Saga. Its introduced some crazy new stuff to the Sith Lore that should be interesting to see explored. It would have been nice to have the Trilogy planned out so there would not be so many issues here and there but Disney wanted speed and did not give a shit about proper planning or development times.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I would have liked an explanation - not only how he survived the fall but how he made his way to Endor. From a practical storytelling perspective feels like a mistake to have left it out.

However, in a universe with so much fantastic, largely unexplained magic and technology, if they say "Hey Palpatine's back..." and leave it at that, I can shrug and accept it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The ending to TLJ didn't help them to be fair. I came out of that and turned to my friends and said I have no idea what the next one would be about, which isn't the case after AOTC or ESB.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Well, if they would kindly reveal this information I'd be happy cause I've been wondering beforehand how he survived RotJ. In addition I want to know where he got all the materials and people for the star destroyers from. Once this is revealed I can finally put the shitshow called Star Wars behind me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Fortnite should have been the Marvel-like post credits stinger.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
So close to an epiphany, and yet so far.

The ending to TLJ didn't help them to be fair. I came out of that and turned to my friends and said I have no idea what the next one would be about, which isn't the case after AOTC or ESB.

That was the best thing about TLJ's ending. Johnson left it wide open, the next movie could go anywhere with it. It was a chance to do something completely new with the story. Abrams and Terrio just weren't talented enough to pick up that baton.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
I mean this movie is full of needless side adventures that seemingly go off topic. Not even that I need an explanation for Palpatine returning. He's a clone that transferred his soul because he's all about Dark Side immortality shit. *shrug* But the answers given around the "why" of so many decisions here are just... ehhhh.
where in the film does it say he is a clone?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Without any explanation for how he survived ROTJ
the climax of this movie is meaningfulness. He'll just return again.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Doesn't Dominic Monaghan's character go "cloning!" at some point?

Either way, it's equally unimportant and I'm not motivated to give much of a shit passed that. This isn't the first time people have brought the Emperor back to life.
It's important considering the OT concludes with hin being killed. You can't just have him pop up and have no explanation. It's incredibly shitty writing. Snoke was bad enough, this was just insulting. Him being killed at the end of this film has no power or meaning to it either because he could just come back with no explanation.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017

Palps is OG sith, going all the way back to the origins of the dark side. Dare I say... he is inevitable? Honostly, having a new story set 1000 years into the future with Palps agian with another chosen one might happen if they are trying to make some what of real universe.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup it doesn't really matter and I hope there's not a bunch of TV show and book content about it because it's all a waste. He wasn't even interesting or in the movie very long. His only purpose was a last ditch effort to sell tickets. They'll probably repeat the same shit again 15 years from now.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Palps is OG sith, going all the way back to the origins of the dark side. Dare I say... he is inevitable? Honostly, having a new story set 1000 years into the future with Palps agian with another chosen one might happen if they are trying to make some what of real universe.

I swear... if he's the villain again in the next trilogy... I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Why do all of these interviews feel like students clumsily trying to convince their teacher into a passing grade?

Star Wars is the gross gilded caviar and squid ink pizza on Worth It at this point. Capitalism can't even buy us a decent star wars movie.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I swear... if he's the villain again in the next trilogy... I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Would have made more sense and saved all of us the heart ache and arguments about how the original cast was used. Could have just been completely seperate. In retrospect, it would have been better. They promised the original cast but in general, TFA set the tone, TLJ ended it, and the unfourtunant time of Fisher's death basically stoped it in the tracks. I have no doubt episode 9 would have been her movie and could have been a call back to yoda saying "no, there is another."

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
So I literally only learned through this thread that there actually was a message sent from Palpatine, but that you have to go watch a fucking Fortnite video to see it.

That's just... hilariously crass and gross. It's near impossible to argue in favour of this movie, or hell the whole new trilogy, when it does such a disservice to its audience. Too much vital context throughout was just left out to be scraped up by the viewer going down wikipedia holes. I just can't give a shit.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
That was the best thing about TLJ's ending. Johnson left it wide open, the next movie could go anywhere with it. It was a chance to do something completely new with the story. Abrams and Terrio just weren't talented enough to pick up that baton.
We'll have to disagree. TLJ ending to me felt like the ending to a series rather than something to continue from.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey its the daily "I worked on TROS and let me explain" thread

I liked the movie, so did a bunch of people. They need to stop talking do much about it. Its not s good look.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe instead of spending 1 minute deceiving the audience into thinking

rey killed chewie

They could have spent that time explaining Palpatine's return?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie literally spells out "i've died before" and "it must be a clone or that kind of sith shit" so meh

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
lol@ the thought of this movie needing to be longer. It already wasted so much time, why would you want them to add even more pointless nonsense.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
And yet Kylo, who also worships Vader to the point of keeping his motherfucking head in his room, kills them all?

source.gif

tumblr_mut3ltJOvw1rqyxf8o1_500.gif