• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
The concept sounds promising. I enjoyed all the predator movies to some degree so I'm down to see where this goes.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
The last predator movie was great because you had a predator show up on earth with a gift for humans, so the first thing the predator does with his gift is kill all the humans around him lol So stupid.

Please have this be Predator 3 and just add time travel where its a predator sea captain and he originated the name Black Beard or something.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Shane Black couldn't even save this series. I've got zero faith in this. Stanley Kubrick could return from the grave to direct and I would still have zero faith

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Shane Black couldn't even save this series. I've got zero faith in this. Stanley Kubrick could return from the grave to direct and I would still have zero faith

Shane Black's writing and directing strengths did not compliment a Predator film. I like his films usually, but The Predator was a bad call.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Predator-Killer-Suit.jpg

I too look forward to this showdown lol

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
I always thought it would be amazing if they made some generic war movie and then had a 'From dusk till Dawn' twist where the Predator just shows up halfway through.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
What was the original third act?

Even more batshit crazy haha

www.avpgalaxy.net

Writer Fred Dekker Talks Original Third Act for The Predator - Alien vs. Predator Galaxy

It's safe to say that last year's The Predator was not exactly the resounding success we were hoping for. While the movie did have its merits, a surprising controversy, disappointing box office results, and mixed to negative reviews all but ensured that any plans for a sequel to Shane Black and...

IMG_20181019_153344-701x621.jpg

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
After The Predator I've got pretty much no interest in this. I've got no faith in it being any good, and I'm rather tired of Hollywood regurgitating old movie franchises.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Set it in the English countryside with a Predator stalking a bunch of inbred Tories on one of their illegal fox hunts. No heros or survivors, just some Predator hunting and skinning them one by one.
If they really need to continue with the dumb one-upsmanship of giving the Predators Predator dogs, they can have Predator horses now too.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like them to incorporate some sense of horror again, like when Anna in predator 1 is telling them about how it always happens in the hottest years. Now the predator is such a pop culture icon it isnt really scary anymore- but I think the characters in the films should be pretty terrified like Billy and most of the characters in predator 2 who didn't know what it was.

From 2 onward everyone just seemed to roll with and it was leaning more toward action than horror.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Even more batshit crazy haha

www.avpgalaxy.net

Writer Fred Dekker Talks Original Third Act for The Predator - Alien vs. Predator Galaxy

It's safe to say that last year's The Predator was not exactly the resounding success we were hoping for. While the movie did have its merits, a surprising controversy, disappointing box office results, and mixed to negative reviews all but ensured that any plans for a sequel to Shane Black and...

IMG_20181019_153344-701x621.jpg

Even though it's the weakest in the series, I actually still enjoyed The Predator, as a dumb sci-fi action movie, I would have loved to see Black's original version without all the studio interference.

The 2 other Predators teaming up with the main cast to take down the big bastard assassin Predator would have been pretty cool to watch, plus the armoured car chase scene that was cut and the weird genetic hybrid creatures that were supposed to be in the tank on the ship (instead of the Iron-Man Predator suit)

Shame we will probably never see that version.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Even though it's the weakest in the series, I actually still enjoyed The Predator, as a dumb sci-fi action movie, I would have loved to see Black's original version without all the studio interference.

The 2 other Predators teaming up with the main cast to take down the big bastard assassin Predator would have been pretty cool to watch, plus the armoured car chase scene that was cut and the weird genetic hybrid creatures that were supposed to be in the tank on the ship (instead of the Iron-Man Predator suit)

Shame we will probably never see that version.

Ahhh Black's original version indeed... if only this was in HBO Max's ballpark. Since it's Disney, they would only put some mermaid asshair on the Predator's buttocks.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
law of averages say if you make enough of them you will hit gold eventually

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I feel like Predator was a one&done film tbh. The oroginal was basically perfect for what it was going for; that being a deconstruction of the 80's 'Murica action genre. Similar to War of the Worlds being a deconstruction of the Western Imperialism narrative.

Everything after tried to be an actual 'Murican action movie, which then judt misses the point.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really can't put franchises to bed and come up with something new can they?

I assume the multitude of sequels and remakes that plague Hollywood these days are ordered by the studios, but it'd be nice if more filmmakers responded with "Nah I want to make something new" when offered these things.

I love Predator, but it's been done, and it won't be done better. Do something new.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't watched any Predator sequels after 1 & 2, but saw partially of that Adrien Brody Predator...

🙄☹️

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Predators was not a bad film. The Shane Black movie has some of the worst editing I've ever seen in my life though.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Always wished they had just gone the anthology route with Preds showing up at time points in history (medieval, WWII, Vietnam, Old West, etc.) and fucking shit up....

Eh maybe one of these days....a Predator movie/show based in WWII has always been a dream of mine, feel like there's tons of potential.

Last edited:

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
First Predator film was close to perfection.

Predator 2 was very good.

The most recent Predator film was one of the worst Hollywood films I have ever seen.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Supposedly the premise

Sick concept

Oh my god Im really excited for this premise. I really hope this is set during the period of colonialism and the displacement of the native american people. I always thought having a predator be set in a more "tribal" setting has alot of promise and a Predator movie as a period piece was always something that could have worked. Hear me out guys but I think this could be excellent, this is the perfect setup for a more thoughtful installment in the Predator franchise and a direction that I always thought this franchise would be well suited for.

The Predator as a character is a perfect analogy for the atrocities commited by the white man against the native american people. What the predator does to its victims (skinning, making them into trophies) is actually very similar to what the invading forces did to the native american people (scalping and worse). The horror that the native american people had to endure due to colonialism is I think something that isnt as widely known about as it should be and if a Predator movie of all things shines more of a light on it, thats fine by me. If this is the direction they are going in, I could actually see the main character loosing their fight against the Predator in some major way. Maybe the main character themselve wont die, but instead what they fought to protect will.

Theres also a really great opportunity for creative set-pieces in this. Imagine a Predator swooping in during a conflict between british forces and the native people. Or a native american warrior in full traditional warrior garments going up against a Predator. A Predator watching the sun rise ontop of a totem pole. So much potential for beautiful cinematography.

At the same time, the Predator is a great analogy for a woman going up against social norms. Remember how in the first Predator, the Predator ignores the only female character in the movie and it is even said directly that the Predator only attacks men? They can pick that up again for this movie. Imagine a scene early on in the movie where the female main character tries to attack the Predator but is barely even noticed and just tossed aside, of no interest to the Predator because he doesnt take women seriously as potential prey. Then later on in the movie you can have a scene that mirrors this where the female main character has put the Predator through some trouble and then you can see through body-language-acting that the Predator starts to finally take her seriously as an opponent and is basically like "Alright, you really want this fight? Then come at me". It can be a really cathartic moment.

Another thought about this: Remember how the female character in Predator 1 (dont remember her name) said that the Predator comes every summer? This can be picked up again too. You can have this movie not take place over the course of 2 - 3 days like the other ones, but instead have it be more slow-burning and make it take place over the course of 2 - 3 cycles, so several years. This also allows the filmmakers to show the progression of colonial influence on the land over a longer period of time, which corresponds with the Predator also become more and more horrific in his attacks on the tribe.

Im kinda nerding out here, I really think this has so much potential. I really hope they are going into this direction, I think this would even be more suited to be a more slow-burning thriller than a true action movie. Im pumped, please let this happen, the potential is all there.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah The Predator was not that good.

I'd definitely be more interested in a time period one as mentioned, medieval times or samurai stuff why not?

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoyed Key in Shane Black's Predator, but overall it was a poor product. I didn't think they'd be coming back to this property so quick. Hopefully a clean slate. Overall though I think it's too late.

I enjoyed Terminator Dark Fate for the most part. Probably the best Terminator movie since 2 and yet it still bombed at the BO. Can't help but feel this movie is going towards the same fate regardless of its quality.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I enjoyed Key in Shane Black's Predator, but overall it was a poor product. I didn't think they'd be coming back to this property so quick. Hopefully a clean slate. Overall though I think it's too late.

I enjoyed Terminator Dark Fate for the most part. Probably the best Terminator movie since 2 and yet it still bombed at the BO. Can't help but feel this movie is going towards the same fate regardless of its quality.

If they play it smart and go for a lower budget movie, instead of a big budget movie, it will have a much better chance of being successful and making money. It's unlikely they will give this a big budget anyway after how The Predator performed.

The Predator had the biggest budget ($88 Million) out of all the Predator movies, including the AvP movies, so the returns weren't massive ($160 Million at the box office) A much smaller budget would make sense.

There is still a lot of potential in the franchise, same goes for Alien, it just needs the right people in charge to really get the most out of it now.

Also I think the same goes for The Terminator franchise too. All the sequels keep trying to top T2, which seems to be an impossible task, but I think a lower budget movie, like the first movie would be the way to go to make another really good Terminator movie.

Oct 31, 2017
If they play it smart and go for a lower budget movie, instead of a big budget movie, it will have a much better chance of being successful and making money. It's unlikely they will give this a big budget anyway after how The Predator performed.

The Predator had the biggest budget ($88 Million) out of all the Predator movies, including the AvP movies, so the returns weren't massive ($160 Million at the box office) A much smaller budget would make sense.

There is still a lot of potential in the franchise, same goes for Alien, it just needs the right people in charge to really get the most out of it now.

Also I think the same goes for The Terminator franchise too. All the sequels keep trying to top T2, which seems to be an impossible task, but I think a lower budget movie, like the first movie would be the way to go to make another really good Terminator movie.

This is not a bad take. A lower budget more with a more focused/personal direction would go a long way towards getting some goodwill back from people. Maybe even go with a TV show first before going back to a movie take (look at well Mandalorian is received compared to the divisiveness of the ST).

I just don't think they'll go for that though, but we'll see.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Love this walking shot. Pred2 is still a great looking movie regardless of how you feel about the cheese.

No clue how this sequence in the alley looks as good as it does 30+ years later.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even going to pretend to be interested in another Predator movie but as an old time TRS fan i hope this project gets made. Dan had a lot of movies in production the last years after 10 CL but sadly none of them got the filming stage.
Yeah, I'm really rooting for him. Hope he finds success!
I feel like the past two movies got scarred by having big name directors that felt a duty to leave 'their mark' on the Predator IP. Hopefully somebody who's more of a very solid 'gun-for-hire' like Trachtenberg can just get out a satisfying entry that isn't obsessed with breaking the mold.
Where do you get that he's a "gun for hire" when he's only done one movie?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Judging from the below story about the movie "SKULLS" and Dan's tweet about how this was meant to be a surprise, and that he was looking forward to people discovering it, my guess is that this was a mostly original tale about a warrior woman fighting a monster of some sort, that we later learn is actually a Predator. Means the movie could exist outside of the other entries as its own thing, that it hits established franchise iconography (jungle/forest, rudimentary weapons fashioned to survive, etc), and also lends further thought to Dan saying he's actually been working on this for four years...

bloody-disgusting.com

‘Predator 5’ Was Supposed to Be a Surprise and Has Been in the Works for Years, Says Director

One of the biggest question marks in Disney’s acquisition of all things Fox (sans Fox News) was how they’d handle horror and R-rated movies. In the past, they haven’t been too kind to our genre, even hiding behind the distribution wall of companies like Hollywood Pictures. This time around, they...