• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
images

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of Dan from his stint doing TRS.

That being said, he's been attached to a bunch of films, none of which have come to fruition.

That, plus the Predator franchise being fairly underwhelming, doesn't inspire great confidence that this'll make it to the big screen any time soon.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only there was a Predator movie with the AvP Dark Horse vibe, it would be a dream movie.
As with Godzilla movies, the more human drama the less interested I am.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe the big reveal for the previous movie was that all Predators were autistic.

What the FUCK was Shane Black smoking?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I think these 80's franchises need to go back to the basic. Simple premise, small cast of cool characters, establish the rules of the franchise and let the characters overcome the challenges based on those rules. Don't try to wow the audience with a fancy terminator. You can create a scary and brutal movie with a T-800 if you get the premise and characters right.

I have a great Terminator "reboot" in my head that's set in some sort of bottle location where the protagonist is left to fend for themselves while they figure out why a future version of themselves sent a Terminator back to kill them.

There's so much cool stuff you can do with the franchise that both honors the legacy and introduces a fresh take on things without creating a bunch of problems. Imagine an opening scene set in a dining room, the daughter of the house leaves the table to grab something and when they come back there's a perfect sphere carved out where the dining table would have been, with a naked terminator in the middle surrounded by her dead family, dismembered from the time sphere thing.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't figure out which movie did their species dirtier. Alien Covenant making the Xenomorph's Micheal Fassbender's science project or The Predator making the Predators think they need autism to evolve.

Probably Predator.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Will the movie be R-rated though? With Disney owning Fox they will probably market it pg-13 for highest appeal

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I don't have any hope anymore for Aliens or Predator. But I hate that I'm going to watch it still. Scrap the whole Predator hybridizing shit, and create consistent lore. Maybe have a female Predator be the one on the hunt for people. I don't know, I just want to learn more about the species in depth outside of random comics and games that have conflicting info.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Nah I left them off on purpose haha I don't want any of the universe expansion or lore depth they did, it's all bad.

I want them to back to the series roots. Cut out all the garbage, maybe even a full reboot at this point, ignoring the events of even the first movie if they can get the tone right. Move forward from there with an actual vision instead of 30 years of scattershot entries.

Again, people constantly saying 'go back to it's roots' is why we are in this mess in the first place and why we got Predators and then years later why we got Predator 2018. The plot/lore needs to go far, far away from it's roots because it won't ever match it. I don't want a bunch of re-tries at trying to re-caputure that magic. It's why the Terminator franchise currently looks like a shitshow(especially when it comes to which films are canon) when all of their movies post-T3/Salvation kept going 'let's try to aim for T2 again'.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
It's weird to me that because of a few bad movies that it is inconceivable to people that there can be never be a good one again. Extremely pessimistic view.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I can't figure out which movie did their species dirtier. Alien Covenant making the Xenomorph's Micheal Fassbender's science project or The Predator making the Predators think they need autism to evolve.

Probably Predator.
I do hate what became of Xenomorphs. I can only assume there's got to be some original form given the mural in Prometheus depicting a Xenomorph. David's Xenomorph lacked bio mechanical aspects and was far more spindly and slimey. Anyways in terms of species being ruined I'm going with the Space Jockey. Going from a giant fossilized elephant man with visible tusks, etc to just some giant bald albino man was a kick in the nuts.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Again, people constantly saying 'go back to it's roots' is why we are in this mess in the first place and why we got Predators and then years later why we got Predator 2018. The plot/lore needs to go far, far away from it's roots because it won't ever match it. I don't want a bunch of re-tries at trying to re-caputure that magic. It's why the Terminator franchise currently looks like a shitshow(especially when it comes to which films are canon) when all of their movies post-T3/Salvation kept going 'let's try to aim for T2 again'.
I think you misunderstand me. I don't want every movie to be Predator 1. I want them to start over from a similar spot — get it right once — and build something new from there with a consistent plan and vision. They're just continuing to pile more and more on top of mostly a bad franchise. Just dump it and start over.

That or ONLY count the first movie and build from there.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I think you misunderstand me. I don't want every movie to be Predator 1. I want them to start over from a similar spot — get it right once — and build something new from there with a consistent plan and vision. They're just continuing to pile more and more on top of mostly a bad franchise. Just dump it and start over.

That or ONLY count the first movie and build from there.

I fully understand you, but you have to think like execs. To them 'a fresh start' means 'let's try and emulate what was successful and made us money' which ultimately means 'let's reboot P1'. They wouldn't understand your nuance.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should do a movie about the Predator that earned the flintlock pistol from part 2. Make it a period piece.
Period price sound boring.

A better idea is to go so far into the future that humans have gone through two separate civilizations. Ours was destroyed and humans went back to being hunter gatherers. Predators have not returned to earth for millions of years and are shocked at what they find. There favorite prey has been reduced to nothing. They begin to teach humans about their tech to speed up the second civilization. Fast forward millions of years. Humans are now space faring and are searching for their origins. Knowledge of the predators has disappeared except for some artifacts with coordinates. They find a planet using those coordinates. It has been destroyed and discover that predators were wiped out by another race cut to end credits.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I like Trachtenberg but Christ, Black's film was irredeemable and killed any potential recovery the franchise could ever hope to have. Let it die, and I say this as someone who absolutely adores the Alien and Predator franchises.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
They should drop the Predator in the middle of the 80s drug war in Narcos: Mexico. I'd watch that shit.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I still can't believe the big reveal for the previous movie was that all Predators were autistic.

What the FUCK was Shane Black smoking?

lol what that wasn't what that was about. They wanted to suck out the vertebrae juice of the autistic kid to upgrade their intelligence... lol (it was bad)

So are they going to follow up on the whole autism genes can make better predators or whatever? :P

Im sure they will ignore it simply. The game and story behind that kind of just ignores it too as it moves the story beyond that movie, and whatever the hell those super predator dudes were, was some random faction doing stupid shit.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Predators was a really good movie and I think its highly underappreciated. Aside from the first one, its the only good Predator movie.

However, I also think Predator is a "franchise" that is uniquely difficult to get right, mainly because of how both restrictive and great the first entry in the franchise is. I do think there is potential in expanding the lore abit and making another Predator film that is great and also quite different from Predator 1, but it will require alot of restraint.

I actually think one of the key things to making another great Predator film is having an exceptionally good script and great acting talent on board, more than is usually the case for action-blockbusters or horror films. The first Predator also had both an above average script and acting talent. There isnt a huge way to go with this franchise by just expanding the spectacle of it because its restricted by the premise, so the drama will have to carry it.

So I actually think this director is a great choice for a Predator film.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Comanche idea sounds based. They should've gone period piece like 3 films ago

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
The Predator was an awesome throwback to 80s Induced Coke Crazy - which went over everyone's head. Loved it. Would treasure it way more if they #ReleasedTheShaneBlackCut and restore the original 3rd act.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have faith in Dan. 10 Cloverfield Lane was awesome, he did great work on The Boys, and he loves the material (old Totally Rad Show fan here). It's going to be good.