• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Recalling all those "and here's another reason why millennials suck" news stories, the thread title headline reads like "the dog I kept kicking growled at me, this marks the end of our friendship"

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
animated_boomas_left.gif

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
yes that's the joke. they say "ok boomer" when they think you sound like a stereotypical baby boomer, no matter who you are.

i know, it's a savage burn, these ones that require explanation. i'm sorry you had to find out that you were so mercilessly ridiculed, in this way. i hope you can walk again someday
I'll live .....

Ok Boomer😃
This clearly isn't for you guys. You can stick to minion memes on facebook if this is hurting you that much

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
I'm sure there are some inane things you agree with bigots on but signal boosting them can come off as endorsement of that person and very naive. So, just be careful.
I agreed (and shared) with one post - your opinion is that it is inane , my opinion that it is quite true (generations do tend to view each other in the same way at varying stages of life)

If you want to read into it any more than that ....well then that it is for you....no signal boosting , no secret messages, no hidden agenda , no need to be careful :)

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Some oldies are cool. Some oldies are assholes.

Some younglings are cool. Some younglings are assholes.

Ageism is dumb

Dec 31, 2017
So what is the irrational explanation it is okay to discriminate on the basis of age on this forum? (I'm sure it's buried somewhere in the 18 pages of drivel this thread has created).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So what is the irrational explanation it is okay to discriminate on the basis of age on this forum? (I'm sure it's buried somewhere in the 18 pages of drivel this thread has created).
That some people that are technically boomers aren't 'boomers' as it's being used, and vice versa. It's less about age and more about your views and attitude.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure "internet as a teen" is quite an actual thing for Xennials. I mean, I was born in '79 and I only saw the internet once in high school in the 90s....someone brought in an AOL disk to the library and showed it to us. I had a girlfriend with internet in '97 as I was graduating HS. Since it was pay-by-the-hour or whatever it was pretty much just the rich and affluent kids in the 90s. Richer people that had newer computers with a modem. Even my more affluent friends didn't have it yet in the mid-90s.

Got my first real internet at college in '97-98.

Yeah it existed in the 90s but a vast majority of people hadn't even used it then.

I should have clarified it is about late teens or early adulthood. I had internet at home in the year 96, so I was nineteen, my brother sixteen.
It is often described as analog childhood, digital adulthood

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The whole "ok boomer" argument ignored all the boomers who got shit jobs after school, had their blue collar job replaced by a machine, and ignores the people who spent 20+ years paying off their student loans.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Cultural divides have always existed between generations, but I think it's at least accurate to call this the biggest political generational gap in the history of US electoral politics. Only thing that could even be confused for it is the vietnam war protests, which in reality was more about specific college students shifting the opinion of people of all ages.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

How do we change old people's minds and win them over to the left? We all agree that without the Boomer vote, Republicans would struggle to get 20% of the vote, something no amount of electoral college fuckery can change.

We also know that it's very hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe radical, unsavory measures are required? Ok Boomer is ageist and semantically fragile. It's also has a better ring to it than "Your way of thinking is old and thoroughly invalidated". Will it make things worse or better?

Or will it change nothing?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
But if they spent more time studying actual history, which can't easily be found on iPhones, they'd know that boomers were, and remain, the most socially and environmentally conscious generation America ever has ever known.
What sort of history is the type that you can't easily find on the most powerful and accessible information network ever created? It's literally an encyclopedia of the entirety of written human history in our pockets.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do we change old people's minds and win them over to the left? We all agree that without the Boomer vote, Republicans would struggle to get 20% of the vote, something no amount of electoral college fuckery can change.

We also know that it's very hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe radical, unsavory measures are required? Ok Boomer is ageist and semantically fragile. It's also has a better ring to it than "Your way of thinking is old and thoroughly invalidated". Will it make things worse or better?

Or will it change nothing?

I think treating people with respect and love rather than hate and being condescending to their flaws will convert some. I truely believe there are a small section of old republicans that are not racist that simply want small government and ultimately will take it however they can get it. We can get these folks and I think getting these folks will be the end of the Republican Party.

I see a lot of my fellow peeps on the left fail to recognize this and it's disappointing. The anger of how our society is stacked is legitimate but a bigger play exists to not just win next election but Most elections.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think treating people with respect and love rather than hate and being condescending to their flaws will convert some. I truely believe there are a small section of old republicans that are not racist that simply want small government and ultimately will take it however they can get it. We can get these folks and I think getting these folks will be the end of the Republican Party.

I see a lot of my fellow peeps on the left fail to recognize this and it's disappointing. The anger of how our society is stacked is legitimate but a bigger play exists to not just win next election but Most elections.
The problem is, this hasn't worked, ever. Look at the past 15 years of headlines "The ME generation" "Millenials are killing X" "Millenials are the laziest generation"... This isn't a one sided thing, and it had been taken on the chin for a long time.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I think treating people with respect and love rather than hate and being condescending to their flaws will convert some. I truly believe there are a small section of old republicans that are not racist that simply want small government and ultimately will take it however they can get it. We can get these folks and I think getting these folks will be the end of the Republican Party.

Love is a much worse motivator than anger and fear when it comes to voting. Otherwise republicans would be trying to build free homes for all the nice god-fearing refugees.

I feel the problem with those people you speak of is maybe they weren't racist back in the 60s-70s, but they haven't evolved as fast as society (we live in 1).

They are STILL moving forward, mind you! Most of them might be at mid 80s standards by now, but there is every chance they will never evolve past that before they die and are removed from the voting rolls. And if you watch an 80s movie, you will notice that they're not woke.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Can't believe people in this thread alone are still getting upset about it, let alone boomers.

Reality is, no one does or is gonna use "Ok boomer" against random older people. It's used against older people who rant about tougher generations.

It's beyond any doubt targeting specific behaviour from a subset of older people unfairly antagonistic towards younger generations, and anyone pretending it's just ageism is playing coy.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Younger generations are already starting to sample their own farts from brandy snifters in a lot of ways, but considering how much shit boomers gave us for being lazy and entitled even as they handed us the worst economy in generations it's hard to feel sorry for whatever flak they're getting for it now.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Guardian article on the meme. I agree with them, ageism really doesn't help anyone. Dismissing older generations who for the most part genuinely need help outside of the stereotypes that we've built around them, have issues that need addressing.
Ill make you a deal, when "okay boomer" take away human rights, prevents them from marrying, roots against minority groups, or does literally anything except for being a largely innocent middle finger for the constant treatment younger generations had to face ill start to listen.

No one who says okay boomer is talking about the fucking nursing homes Jesus christ

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Ricky Gervais kinda sums up my view ..lm getting old too (Gen X)

I like Chloe , good MP imo ( I live in NZ)

Nah, that's dumb as hell. I'm constantly impressed by people like Greta Thunberg for her depth of understanding issues like climate change that far exceeds people 3-4 times her age, the amount of pure fire in her words and her holding onto her beliefs vs old people who still hold on to regressive views & deny all science due to their greed/stupidity/selfishness/pettiness.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
On the one hand "Ok Boomer" is a nice catchphrase, on the other hand I can see it get used very easily to just shut down discussions without going in on arguments - as it is basically an ad-hominem argument.
You can see this in the Marvel-Scorsese-discussion. Many were dismissing his arguments/these with "boomer" "or old man" without ever engaging with his standpoints - valid or not.
(Please don't make this about Marvel and Scorsese now. I am just afraid that this catchphrase will damage discussion-culture. Discussion can be tiresome, even more when you are dealing with stubborn old people, but I don't think "Ok, boomer" is an adequate response to tackle issues).

Oct 25, 2017

Just once I'd like to see someone preaching this love and respect bullshit to people on the right coming at us with all their ideological nastiness.

Just once.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just once I'd like to see someone preaching this love and respect bullshit to people on the right coming at us with all their ideological nastiness.

Just once.

I love how you completely ignore the part of my post where I explain this is only attributable to a small section of republicans. not most of them whom are Actually beyond saving. Back to the point, yea we (the left) have to be the "bigger person" in this conflict and extend the olive branch to the conservative whom doesn't blindly follow trump but rather wishes for small government. This may be a shit idea to you but I'll take it in a heartbeat if it means converting enough of those republicans so that they never win another election.

Winning is all that matters at this point. We change the world for minorities, LGBTQ, immigrants, etc. if all we do is win.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty thick as this whole "ok, boomer" thing was given birth because of asshole old people who downplay, belittle and crap on millenials/younger generations whenever they've tried to bring forth their thoughts and ideas because of their claims of age-brought superiority/wisdom. They are the condescending ones, not young people who've gotten fed up with and tired of their voices being muffled by constant talking-downs.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gervais's constant nihilism is so fucking tiring. Dude is a millionaire but tweets like he's Edgar Allan Poe.
Eh, I wouldn't call it nihilism, and as others did, I wouldn't attribute this as some thought he came up with. There's quotes and/or variants of quotes attributable to Plato in the same vein as what Gervais said.

"Age Group X thinking Age Group Y is soft" and "Age Group Y thinking Age Group X is out of touch" is a dynamic as old as civilization itself, so thinking that specific dynamic won't change isn't an outlandish or nihilistic concept.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Yes like the respect boomers pay to PoC, LGBT, immigrants, and generations younger then them, while they still ride on the highs of what their parent's generation did.

And don't give be the bullshit of 'well maybe some of them aren't irredeemable shitheads' when they keep voting for shitheads.