• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm to the left of 90% of the population - it's just on this message board, that makes me a neoliberal sellout.

It's not so much any individual political position you have, so much as your caping for the more ghoulish tendencies of the mainstream Dem establishment and the consultant class, under the pretense that incremental progress can render real change over time, when every example of liberal elites "getting shit done" going back to like the July Monarchy is a tale of betrayal of the working class and the marginalized, followed by the real power brokers chipping away at whatever gains actually were made. It's a condemnation of Leftist naivety undergirded by a wider historical naivety. It's not as bad as Cerium claiming on NeoGAF back in 2016 that Bernie Bros would rat out minorities hiding, Anne Frank-style, from hypothetical fascist regimes, but it's a puzzling deployment of political acumen and media literacy nevertheless. I wish more in your camp had had the Peter Daou "Come to Jesus" radicalization moment, but at the very least, I hope some Left-liberal solidarity in the face of the coming fortress politics of the 21st Century is possible.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it was clear when she had no answer or even plan to deal with the backlash and criticism that she wasn't actually a progressive prosecutor which was her big claim. Like how do you not plan for that with your history, did you think people weren't aware about it? Just baffling to see her fall so fast after such a strong performance in the opening debates.

With that said I'm not upset to see it. Shes a cop and shes a liar who will say whatever it takes to get what she wants.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still gobsmacked that she had no response at all to getting grilled on the AG record. That level of unpreparedness said it all to me.

She'll run against AOC in 2024.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not so much any individual political position you have, so much as your caping for the more ghoulish tendencies of the mainstream Dem establishment and the consultant class, under the pretense that incremental progress can render real change over time, when every example of liberal elites "getting shit done" going back to like the July Monarchy is a tale of betrayal of the working class and the marginalized, followed by the real power brokers chipping away at whatever gains actually were made. It's a condemnation of Leftist naivety undergirded by a wider historical naivety. It's not as bad as Cerium claiming on NeoGAF back in 2016 that Bernie Bros would rat out minorities hiding, Anne Frank-style, from hypothetical fascist regimes, but it's a puzzling deployment of political acumen and media literacy nevertheless. I wish more in your camp had had the Peter Daou "Come to Jesus" radicalization moment, but at the very least, I hope some Left-liberal solidarity in the face of the coming fortress politics of the 21st Century is possible.

Yes, I know, I'm a ghoul for not believing in some secret majority of left-wing voters that have been bravely waiting for a true leftist to finally turn out to vote for the first time in decades, and all the actual polling about actual non voters show this view of people who don't vote simply isn't true.

Also, incremental progress (such as The New Deal & The Great Society, along with all the social democratic reforms in Europe) have been the only kind of progress that has not led to untold millions of innocent dead.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The best contribution she's made was jumping on Biden on national television as early as she did and what that's since rolled into. But she's not only clearly done, but was clearly done like months ago. Fucking Yang is looking like a better shot and he only got kickstarted off a fucking Elon Musk tweet.

Unbelievable that she lost to Tulsi Gabbard. Like giving up because you can't beat the level 5 slime

Honestly the most baffling part of Kamala's fall. Of all the people that could drag her down she gets done in getting clotheslined by fucking Tootsie.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I really do like her but her campaign just hasnt been what I thought it would be. I hope she gives it another shot down the line, but this is just not the time for her.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yes, I know, I'm a ghoul for not believing in some secret majority of left-wing voters that have been bravely waiting for a true leftist to finally turn out to vote for the first time in decades, and all the actual polling about actual non voters show this view of people who don't vote simply isn't true.

Also, incremental progress (such as The New Deal & The Great Society, along with all the social democratic reforms in Europe) have been the only kind of progress that has not led to untold millions of innocent dead.

I didn't say you were a ghoul, I said you caped for ghoulishness, which I'd argue is what saying Kamala running on her morally spotty prosecutorial record would be good strategy is. Like, even if it's right, appealing to the devil on voters' shoulders is an act of political and ethical malfeasance.

I don't want to dip into the non-voter thing, as that's outside the scope of this thread, but I would suggest that pegging firm political commitments to non-voters based on current political conditions, people who basically by definition do NOT have firmly-held or well-examined beliefs (anti-electoralist Marxists excepted), is probably not a strong position.

As to the last part - wellllllll beyond the scope of this subject, but considering the status quo, whether incrementally elaborated upon or left stagnant, constantly racks up innocent and unnecessary bodies as unobtrusive background noise, that's not the solidest line of argument.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, folks. I'll exit now. Jesse, you're free to DM me if you wish, or have the last word here. Was inappropriate to hash this out in the context of this thread.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I didn't say you were a ghoul, I said you caped for ghoulishness, which I'd argue is what saying Kamala running on her morally spotty prosecutorial record would be good strategy is. Like, even if it's right, appealing to the devil on voters' shoulders is an act of political and ethical malfeasance.

I don't want to dip into the non-voter thing, as that's outside the scope of this thread, but I would suggest that pegging firm political commitments to non-voters based on current political conditions, people who basically by definition do NOT have firmly-held or well-examined beliefs (anti-electoralist Marxists excepted), is probably not a strong position.

As to the last part - wellllllll beyond the scope of this subject, but considering the status quo, whether incrementally elaborated upon or left stagnant, constantly racks up innocent and unnecessary bodies as unobtrusive background noise, that's not the solidest line of argument.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, folks. I'll exit now. Jesse, you're free to DM me if you wish, or have the last word here. Was inappropriate to hash this out in the context of this thread.
Now, you should know by now I'm going to ask for receipts on your foolishness.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Bad person who hired bad people and thought cynical idpol checkboxing could overtake people with an actual ideological or political core (even the sketch ones).

The circus tent was wide open at the beginning of this thing when the self-styled "high information" crowd called her the best-positioned to win. Lmao. Less popular in your own damn state among your own damn party than Andrew Yang. Boo boo the fool is you.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
My knowledge of her campaign is that she wants to extend the school day. That's it. I don't know what separates her, in a positive way, from other candidates, and that's definitely the fault of her and her campaign. There's no consistent, coherent message. Time to wrap it up and try again in eight years. Be a strong ally in the senate to the next president, get behind some good legislation so you have something to flex next time 'round.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I don't even respect her for the busing attack on Biden anymore, which was clearly borne out by pure opportunism rather than any clear conviction. Which I think goes to the heart of why she's such a terrible candidate.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She should have been the perfect person to run as a law and order candidate against a criminal President. It should have been a home run, but incompetence can sink any ship.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Now, you should know by now I'm going to ask for receipts on your foolishness.

Receipts about things that are purely speculative (I.e. that non-voters, regardless of how they claim to identify now, probably would go for more Leftist policies if there was actually a real push for them), or things that are objectively and uncontroversially true (I.e. that the current status quo sees people die by attrition due to lack of access to basic resources)? It's a rather unreceiptable post to make such a demand of, tbh, so I genuinely need clarification here.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Receipts about things that are purely speculative (I.e. that non-voters, regardless of how they claim to identify now, probably would go for more Leftist policies if there was actually a real push for them), or things that are objectively and uncontroversially true (I.e. that the current status quo sees people die by attrition due to lack of access to basic resources)? It's a rather unreceiptable post to make such a demand of, tbh, so I genuinely need clarification here.

So, here's what I know:

—Kamala's record.
—Her record compared to her predecessor's record.
—How other progressive prosecutors view her.

None of that is speculation. It's legal record. I was
The mod on this board who wore a Kamala Harris T-shirt in my avatar before she even formally announced her run. I weep over the incompetence of her campaign. The Harris 2020 campaign was a mess.

But I won't let a Black Woman whom transformed the criminal justice system in my home state be lied on in regards to her record and what she accomplished. Bring receipts.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So, here's what I know:

—Kamala's record.
—Her record compared to her predecessor's record.
—How other progressive prosecutors view her.

None of that is speculation. It's legal record. I was
The mod on this board who wore a Kamala Harris T-shirt in my avatar before she even formally announced her run. I weep over the incompetence of her campaign. The Harris 2020 campaign was a mess.

But I won't let a Black Woman whom transformed the criminal justice system in my home state be lied on in regards to her record and what she accomplished. Bring receipts.

I mean I think Leftists have done a good job of calling out her ill behavior in the role, but if you find those arguments unconvincing or think she had good reasons for doing those things, I'm not really sure what to say, given I have little interest in rehashing arguments that I've already seen you have dozens of times on here. Almost everything is justifiable, with the right set of priors, but not everything is just, and that's pretty much the box I'd put Kamala into. Pretty much any law enforcement behavior to the Right of Krazner is currently unacceptable to me in a Chief Executive, so we may be coming at this from different positions.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these candidates aren't reading the room. This was such a weak campaign, the HQ swagger must be grim lol.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I mean I think Leftists have done a good job of calling out her ill behavior in the role, but if you find those arguments unconvincing or think she had good reasons for doing those things, I'm not really sure what to say, given I have little interest in rehashing arguments that I've already seen you have dozens of times on here. Almost everything is justifiable, with the right set of priors, but not everything is just, and that's pretty much the box I'd put Kamala into. Pretty much any law enforcement behavior to the Right of Krazner is currently unacceptable to me in a Chief Executive, so we may be coming at this from different positions.
Harris is to the far left of Krasner.

Krasner, only just this year, instituted a city-wide public DoJ criminal database. So you can now see crime rates and arrest rates for the city of Philadelphia and hold law enforcement accountable.

Over 5 years ago, Kamala did this....for the entire state of California. Her program was the model that Krasner used.

See what I mean about receipts and not resting in ignorance?

I'll be waiting for them there receipts.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
She was the golden child of the establishment, they really banked hard on Maor Pete because they really don't have anyone decent to challenge the leftist push within the party anymore.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Harris sucks as a candidate.

No real vision
Mixed at best record.
Tainted by big money.

No thanks.

Ironically more of a dinosaur than the older candidates in the race.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Harris sucks as a candidate.

No real vision
Mixed at best record.
Tainted by big money.

No thanks.

Ironically more of a dinosaur than the older candidates in the race.
Even the "progressive" older candidates who not only signed the crime bill, but ran on it in re-elections in their totally white home states? The very crime bill she fought against?

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
She is an awful candidate and I don't believe a very good person. I hope she crashes and burns. Anyone in Cali knows /knew this. If you were lower class and a person of color she could give a fuck about you.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She should have been the perfect person to run as a law and order candidate against a criminal President. It should have been a home run, but incompetence can sink any ship.
I think "Law and Order" doesn't play that well in the Democratic base anymore, and I think that's a good thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
In all seriousness, the abject failure of the Harris campaign has been the single biggest surprise of this primary to date; I've never thought much of her, but I really thought she was the one to beat going in

she has a superficially appealing bio, got off to a seemingly strong start (her kickoff rally in Berkeley was pretty massive), and seemed to be consolidating a lot of professional liberal support early on (in addition to public figures, an awful lot of folks I'm acquainted with who stanned hard for Hillary in 2016 were stanning for Harris almost as hard earlier this year). but outside a brief surge after that Biden takedown in the first set of debates, none of that ever really translated into polling or fundraising

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People that use power to throw black families in private prisons are not good and deserve to fail.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Once you vet her record, you see that she made a career out of not doing what she's currently campaigning on. There are more real candidates who have walked the walk and continue to walk the walk.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Even the "progressive" older candidates who not only signed the crime bill, but ran on it in re-elections in their totally white home states? The very crime bill she fought against?

Not sure if these are other receipts you are looking for...

Pro death penalty
Didn't prosecute Steve Mnuchins
Attempted to block sex reassignment surgery
Wanted to keep nonviolent parolees to work
To continue to add to her defense of parolee labor
Anti-truancy program

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

At least half of those are outright misrepresentations, but you're right that Harris's record isn't perfect.

Regardless, I think any even-handed review would demonstrate that she was one of the most progressive AGs/DAs in the nation at the time of her service.

Ultimately, it's not really worth reposting all the facts and rebuttals -- Harris isn't my first or even second choice, her campaign is flailing, and Politics Era is toxic AF.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I don't dislike Kamala but her time is basically up. She did just do a fundraiser at UCB, which is cool, I guess.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
At least half of those are outright misrepresentations, but you're right that Harris's record isn't perfect.

Regardless, I think any even-handed review would demonstrate that she was one of the most progressive AGs/DAs in the nation at the time of her service.

Ultimately, it's not really worth reposting all the facts and rebuttals -- Harris isn't my first or even second choice, her campaign is flailing, and Politics Era is toxic AF.

I'd like to get my facts straight then and don't think I've been disrespectful. Feel free to PM me on the misrepresentation if you'd like.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So all those ex-Clinton people pretty much behaved exactly like they did on Clinton's campaign except with even less oversight? She got what she deserved, hiring that pack of clowns.

HRC's biggest strengths in 2016 were her name recognition and the relationships she'd built up over a quarter-century as a national political figure, neither of which are advantages Harris had

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
HRC's biggest strengths in 2016 were her name recognition and the relationships she'd built up over a quarter-century as a national political figure, neither of which are advantages Harris had

Yeah, and now we got a look at what the people around her then could pull off without Clinton.

Which is apparently dragging their candidate's popularity down to unimaginably low depths and imploding in slow motion.