• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like they shouldn't have written the movie to pander to what the Chinese governments finds acceptable.

Honestly I don't think you can write easily a chinese-centric movie that resonate with the audience in China because what's offer domestically is more authentic.

Mulan as a source material has been recycled so many times in their local media.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading that twitter live tweeting thread is actually painful to me. Even if it was the 90s I would've been shocked at this level of Orientalism, that they would do this in 2020 is beyond the pale.

Disney out here unironically employing people who think like this.

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
Hollywood was also baffled by the failure of Crazy Rich Asians. It's like they don't understand there are different cultures out there with different history. This connects to the way America's largely white institutions treat diversity. They feel like there is a "one-approach addresses all" when that absolutely isn't the case. The idea that "If we put an Asian in this movie, it'll do well overseas!" is such a reductive way of approaching. Rogue One did this, hoping to boost Star Wars popularity in China but failed.

Which.... makes me curious because flicks like Fast and Furious and Transformers do gangbusters in China.... and for whatever reason, Star Wars just can't seem to do it. I'm sure part of it is because the films were never released during their original windows in the country.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Which.... makes me curious because flicks like Fast and Furious and Transformers do gangbusters in China.... and for whatever reason, Star Wars just can't seem to do it. I'm sure part of it is because the films were never released during their original windows in the country.
From what i read dumb blockbusters do well because everyone no matter the culture likes explosion and the movie are easy to understand even if your English isn't great

Star wars is too reliant on nostalgia to work in China when it's cultural landmark at least what i heard

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
From what i read dumb blockbusters do well because everyone no matter the culture likes explosion and the movie are easy to understand even if your English isn't great

Star wars is too reliant on nostalgia to work in China when it's cultural landmark at least what i heard
Haha yea, NEW Star Wars has that.... but that makes me think deeper on Star Wars popularity elsewhere. I'm guessing because 1-6 is only available now, watching it in the 2010s, the films are probably tougher to get into. But the gulf of performance is huge.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha yea, NEW Star Wars has that.... but that makes me think deeper on Star Wars popularity elsewhere. I'm guessing because 1-6 is only available now, watching it in the 2010s, the films are probably tougher to get into. But the gulf of performance is huge.

Most giant blockbusters are incredibly self contained even if they're sequels. The Star Wars films require that you've not got an understanding of the rest of the fictional universe but that you're already invested in the prior films, TV series, books and so on. All you need to know about Transformers is that its about robots that turn into shit from outerspace who beat the fuck out of each other. Even the F&F films are basically just,"Good looking group of ne'er-do-wells goes on a dangerous adventure involving cars"

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
F&F did well in China because of strong family theme, ridiculous car action, multi cultural cast.
They know what works and did their best.

And people like Disney animations because they are Disney animations. Who want another a made-up version of Mulan?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Fuck that movie and its shitty actress who goes out of her way to pile on HK citizens who are upset that their freedoms is taken away decades early.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys haven't read Walter Chaw's review, I highly recommend it.

www.filmfreakcentral.net

Mulan (2020)

½*/**** starring Yifei Liu, Donnie Yen, Jason Scott Lee, Jet Li screenplay by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver and Lauren Hynek & Elizabeth Martin directed by Niki Caro by Walter Chaw You can become an expe...

What I'm saying is that everything about this Mulan is ironic accidentally. Whatever its intentions, its execution and the circumstances of its creation are in opposition to them. It's a feminist tract that enforces male notions of value; a call to arms that fights for the wrong side of our current history; and a proud statement of national identity that celebrates the Nation of Disney as opposed to China. It's majestically painful as a representation of how white people view Asians and, yes, it would be different had an Asian person been allowed to direct the film. The solution is not now and never was for white people to hire consultants to understand Asianness better--it is to place Asians in positions of real decision-making and creative power. While you can substitute the minority as circumstances dictate, the principle is consistent enough that it comes as no surprise it's never the decision made by the allies wanting to learn. Anyway, China makes extraordinary historical wuxia pictures of their own. 吳宇森's Red Cliff made me proud to be who I am for the first time in my life at the hale age of 36. Still, Chinese culture is not Asian-American culture, and all Mulan does is serve as a painful reminder of my otherness in this place I have loved my whole life that has never taken the time to know me.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, likely a very generic film for China and I imagine they've seen loads of films like this already.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This to my knowledge was the first remake that wasn't a basic shot for shot. So if anything they're going to take the completely wrong lesson and just continue to copy and paste animated classics into live action.
Dumbo, Cinderella and Jungle Book were very different from the original animated movies.

Also, didn't Mulan (1998) do not that great in China either back in the day - and one of the reasons cited (from audiences) was for the same reason of the movie having too much of a foreign vibe?
Yes, it's not a story chinese people seem particularly interested in.

Oct 28, 2017
Was it worth it Disney?

Fuck off with your Mulan, and your "gay person in Avengers scene that can easily be chopped out for Chinese markets".

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
Wait, were they really expecting Crazy Rich Asians to do well in mainland China?
lmao
Hilariously... yes:

www.theatlantic.com

'Crazy Rich Asians' Tanked in China—But That’s Okay

Despite the odds, the romantic comedy was already an enormous success in the United States, from a critical, commercial, and historical perspective.

"Romantic comedies, the thinking goes, are too culturally specific to play well worldwide. The movie expected to be the exception to that rule was one of 2018's most surprising successes—Crazy Rich Asians, which was made by Warner Bros. for $30 million and released in the doldrums of August. It grossed $173 million domestically, outstripping all predictions; a sequel is already in development. Because its cast features a number of Asian stars, including Michelle Yeoh (a legend of Hong Kong cinema) and Lisa Lu, and because the plot centers on an Asian American woman meeting a Singaporean family, Warner Bros. had some hope for the film's crossover potential in major international markets such as China, Hong Kong, and Japan."

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
Also worth noting, while respected, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was not the phenomenon it was in America because wuxia films were super commonplace in Chinese cinematic history.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really congratulate the poor performance from a region under CCP rule and policy, but I'm glad that it bombed outright everywhere.

Fuck the CCP for thier genocide of Uyghur Muslims and continued attempt to downplay the prevalence and active use of concentration camps.

Oct 27, 2017
what baggage came with it?
is there a website to read up what difficulties disney had to face?
lol. More like the controversies Disney generated:

- All white production cast
- Fucked up Chinese mythology
- Drops the empowering message of the original
- Filmed next to CCP sanctioned Uighur concentration camps
- Gave SPECIAL THANKS to the department in charge of those concentration camps
- Casted a CCP bootlicker as Mulan, who supports Hong Kong police crackdown

They fucked up on every single level.

Edit: This movie is made for literally no one. Chinese moviegoers hate it because it's inauthentic. Americans hate it either because it lost the tone of the original or is embroiled in human rights scandals. The CCP themselves banned coverage on it, because it drew attention to their concentration camps.

It's a failure.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hilariously... yes:

www.theatlantic.com

'Crazy Rich Asians' Tanked in China—But That’s Okay

Despite the odds, the romantic comedy was already an enormous success in the United States, from a critical, commercial, and historical perspective.

"Romantic comedies, the thinking goes, are too culturally specific to play well worldwide. The movie expected to be the exception to that rule was one of 2018's most surprising successes—Crazy Rich Asians, which was made by Warner Bros. for $30 million and released in the doldrums of August. It grossed $173 million domestically, outstripping all predictions; a sequel is already in development. Because its cast features a number of Asian stars, including Michelle Yeoh (a legend of Hong Kong cinema) and Lisa Lu, and because the plot centers on an Asian American woman meeting a Singaporean family, Warner Bros. had some hope for the film's crossover potential in major international markets such as China, Hong Kong, and Japan."

AOxaBz5.png

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

I can't speak for Fast and Furious, but the reason Bayformers did so well over in China is the same reason the original Pacific Rim also did better there than in the States: giant fucking robots. And this is also why, in contrast, The Last Knight completely bombed there: it has the least amount of giant fucking robots of any of the films, but gives plenty of screentime to humans arguing over bayformers lore... and gratuitous Chinese product placement that Chinese moviegoers thought was dumb as hell. (Seriously, at one point, the main characters try to find a used car in America.... through a Chinese used car website.)

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Last Knight completely bombed there: it has the least amount of giant fucking robots of any of the films, but gives plenty of screentime to humans arguing over bayformers lore... and gratuitous Chinese product placement that Chinese moviegoers thought was dumb as hell. (Seriously, at one point, the main characters try to find a used car in America.... through a Chinese used car website.)
After watching that movie, I immediately ran and opened an ICBC account. ICBC, the official bank of Optimus Prime!
That movie for real had the dumbest product placement ever.

Edit: oh shit I forgot that all the phones were LeEco in that movie lmao

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
It's funny because they also apparently focus tested the hell out of the movie in China
Chinese test audience opinions were important to the process.
In 1998, some Chinese moviegoers rejected Disney's animated tale because it espoused Western values like personal transformation above Chinese priorities such as commitment to family. The new "Mulan" film hammers home the value of family and community. A Chinese test audience also gave input on the film, objecting to a climactic kiss between Mulan and her love interest, according to a person familiar with the matter. Disney removed the scene.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Xenophobia over multiple posts
Good. We need things to start flopping on the Chinese market. The idea of Chinese norms (some of which are awful) dictating the way movies in the west are made is honestly genuinely disturbing.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Good. We need things to start flopping on the Chinese market. The idea of Chinese norms (some of which are awful) dictating the way movies in the west are made is honestly genuinely disturbing.

No, this is just Disney thought they knew what chinese people like and it back fire spectacularly for them.

A lot of movies success in china without pandering, Fast and Furious and Jurassic Park for exemple.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what they deserve for sucking up to the CCP and putting such a CCP puppet front and center as the main actress.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This to my knowledge was the first remake that wasn't a basic shot for shot. So if anything they're going to take the completely wrong lesson and just continue to copy and paste animated classics into live action.

You forgot about Dumbo, which also bombed and was a pretty radical departure from it's source

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
There are so many wrongs to Chinese' taste in this movie I don't even know where to begin. Making this movie to comply every CCP censorship just add the final nail to the coffin. If the audience wants patriotic movie that fit CCP agenda, they don't need to watch Disney. China produces like a movie every year promote patriotism. LUL

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
China has its own movie industry, it's not surprising to me that Chinese audiences would reject a Western company making a "Chinese" movie.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
lol sorry those filthy chinese '''norms''' are infecting perfect western movies

especially movies like this one, directed and written almost entirely by. white americans. fuck off.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
"women don't use chi"
stellar writing all around.

LMAO did no one at the production watch a wuxia movie or something? There are so many wuxia movie with woman as a master of chi/ martial arts and respected for it.

Edit: some awful opinion on this thread that borderline racist toward chinese people (not talking about the one criticising CCP)