• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

The tech giant has handed out a nine-episode order for Masters of the Air, the follow-up drama to HBO's limited series Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Additionally, Apple is officially launching its own internal studio, making the series the first that it will own in-house.

Sources say HBO released the series — focused on historian Donald L. Miller's nonfiction book Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany — ages ago and before WarnerMedia became its new corporate parent. The decision, sources say, was based on the price tag for the series, which is said to clock in at an estimated $250 million. Also a factor was the fact that DVD sales were largely responsible for turning pricey awards winners The Pacific and Brothers into financial hits. With the DVD market imploding amid the explosion of streaming, sources say HBO opted to dedicated those resources elsewhere. (The cabler has continued to be an aggressive buyer amid the arms race for top talent, stars and packages.)

All of the producers behind both Brothers and Pacific are slated to return for the new installment. Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman and Steven Spielberg will exec produce for Hanks and Goetzman's Playtone and the latter's Amblin Television, respectively. Amblin TV's Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey will co-exec produce alongside Playtnoe's Steven Shareshian. Band of Brothers grad John Orloff will pen the script and also co-EP the series alongside Graham Yost (Justified). The latter also worked on both previous shows in the franchise. The third miniseries in the WWII saga had been in talks for months after The Pacific's success. The third show was officially put in development back in January 2013 at HBO.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Will this still adhere to Apple's family friendly guidelines, or has the company backed off those?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've been reading about this show for a decade, glad to see its finally happening.

Oct 25, 2017
This has been bounced around for like a decade. Great story behind it, hopefully it has enough budget to pull it off

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed it's stuck behind Apple's crap, but if there was no other way then good on them.

OP
OP
Blader

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed it's stuck behind Apple's crap, but if there was no other way then good on them.
That's how I feel. I really have no plan to sub to Apple's service and it's a shame that it didn't happen on HBO... but if they didn't want to do it, I'd rather it happen at Apple than not happen at all.

I'll prob just wait for the entire series to finish then binge it all on a free trial.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
That's how I feel. I really have no plan to sub to Apple's service and it's a shame that it didn't happen on HBO... but if they didn't want to do it, I'd rather it happen at Apple than not happen at all.

I'll prob just wait for the entire series to finish then binge it all on a free trial.
I find that an interesting way of putting it. As someone how doesn't have HBO I'm glad it's not behind HBO's crap lol. Why one is ok and another isn't is not something I'll ever understand I guess.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad this exists, but was HBO unwilling to sign onto the project? Why break up a good thing?

OP
OP
Blader

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I find that an interesting way of putting it. As someone how doesn't have HBO I'm glad it's not behind HBO's crap lol. Why one is ok and another isn't is not something I'll ever understand I guess.
Well I already have HBO and don't want to pay for another streaming service if I can help it? It'd be one thing if Apple had a killer TV lineup and HBO had nothing, but I get good stuff out of HBO year round and nothing else on Apple's docket looks interesting to me.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Ah fuck, is it still possible to get Apple TV+ if I don't own any Apple devices? Really love the first two series and one about the air war sounds especially interesting.
Also worried about how heavy handed Apple will be, don't they basically have to keep it at a PG-13 level?

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Well I already have HBO and don't want to pay for another streaming service if I can help it? It'd be one thing if Apple had a killer TV lineup and HBO had nothing, but I get good stuff out of HBO year round and nothing else on Apple's docket looks interesting to me.
I would say that the splintering of streaming is not good but all players have a hand in that (HBO and Apple included). We cut the cord years ago and for me HBO is just another service to pay for although in Canada it's worse because I just can't get HBO for a reasonable price as it's part of Crave which is an overall over priced and crappy service. I already have Prime video, Netflix, will be getting Disney+ and that's just for TV

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely thrilled. I've been following, the very sparse, news on this for years. I hope Apple allows them full creative control. I wasn't a huge fan of the Pacific at the time but on a recent rewatch I enjoyed it a lot more. And Band of Brothers is still my most watched series of all time. I was under the impression they had already started preproduction but I guess not. Hopefully it doesn't take years for this to drop

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot wait.

Band of Brothers is still unmatched. And the Pacific gets better and better every rewatch.

OP
OP
Blader

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Seems odd to me as well. I'm sure there is a story behind the decision.
It's in the article. The show is very expensive (approx $250m) and the DVD market, which apparently was a major factor in HBO recouping the costs of Band of Brothers and The Pacific, has collapsed relative to what it was 10 and 20 years ago.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To all who are pissed about this being on Apple+, don't be. Exclusives always find their way to consumers. Hulu owns Handmaid's Tale, but if I wanted to I could buy it right now on Google Play, iTunes, or Amazon Video. Same for a bunch of HBO shows.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To all who are pissed about this being on Apple+, don't be. Exclusives always find their way to consumers. Hulu owns Handmaid's Tale, but if I wanted to I could buy it right now on Google Play, iTunes, or Amazon Video. Same for a bunch of HBO shows.
This.

Also, this series is almost certainly 2 years away (at least), so no need to start worrying about it now. Given everything else that comprises Apple's lineup so far, their service may not even exist in the way it currently is planned to by then.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really can not wait for this. The air campaign has been a dream of mine since BoB

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the first and was fine with the Pacific but I'm not feeling hyped about an air campaign really :/

Oct 27, 2017
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhthhthhththth I thought this would for sure be on HBO.

Band of Brothers is one of the greatest television shows of all time. Just a masterful miniseries.

The Pacific was alright but didn't come close to matching that quality.

Been waiting on this forever though. Can not wait to watch it. Huge get for Apple.

scott97

Jan 22, 2019
Amazon Prime exclusives an exception to this

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't a fan of the pacific I'll keep my eye on this if they can bring some interesting air force stories.

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
This is great that they are going to do a series with the Army Air Force. They did lose a lot or airmen during the war.

Kinda off topic but, when are they going to do a series on the 442nd? The most decorated regiment in US Army history despite the fact that their families were in internment camps back home. I'm surprised their story hasn't been told yet.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

Oh shit.

Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television and Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman's Playtone have made a deal with Apple for an event limited series based on the Donald L. Miller book Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany. It is a follow-up to their Emmy-winning World War II HBO miniseriesBand of Brothers and The Pacific.

The book tells the story of the American bomber boys in WWII who brought the war to Hitler's doorstep. It becomes the first series greenlit with Apple serving as the studio as the company is joining major streamers like Netflix and Amazon, which also produce and own content. Deadline hears that the miniseries will be more than eight hours in length, and that it will cost well north of $200 million to produce.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Huge fan of Band of Brothers, The pacific not so much, but very much looking forward to this!

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not sure I'd want to subscribe to Apple TV just for this. It might just wait until the Blu-Ray set is released, or wait until all episodes are released and do a free trial.

I'm glad they finally found a place for it, since HBO chickened out.

Sep 7, 2018
I wonder how they will portray the fire bombings of civilian cities. The images that got stuck in my mind after reading about it are not very pleasant. We are talking high enough tempratures so that the asphalt in the streets melt, and people getting stuck in molten Truly some horrific stuff.