• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the concern over the same questions is kind of funny in that it's exactly what pressers always are anyway.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Must be worried about Todd Phillips pulling his head out of his ass long enough to show it to everyone some more.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It seems like the lesson with the Joker is stop asking questions and pretend that the movie is amazing. any questions are negative and shouldn't be asked.
I feel like there's a middle ground between this and constantly asking how this film may incite a shooting. Sorta like criticizing call of duty depictions of guns and violence without constantly talking about it potentially inciting future shootings.

There's point where concerns delves into giving people's ideas and frankly all this media talking about how this film is going to incite a shooting is more likely to incite a shooting than the movie itself.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Did WB and Todd Philip talk about how this movie would stir conversation? Did they mean one they didn't have take part in?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tom needs to kill Jerry's ass.
Remember the short where he inherited a million dollars but could only keep it if he didn't kill a mouse, and Jerry started abusing that stipulation and he just threw the money away to fuck him up?

Worth it.
People want Jerry to lose? I always thought of him as the good guy.
Note a lot of times that Jerry is the initial aggressor, or keeps pushing Tom's buttons, or keeps instigating shit between Tom and Butch/Mammy/Spike etc.

Warner Bros. was clever and set up a rule that Bugs should never be the aggressor, and when he was, like in Cecil Turtle cartoons, he'd lose. This keeps Bugs empathetic. Dude just wants to get to his vacation spot or eat some carrots and people keep fucking with him.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a middle ground between this and constantly asking how this film may incite a shooting. Sorta like criticizing call of duty depictions of guns and violence rather than constantly talking about it potentially inciting future shootings.
I think there needs to be a middle ground but this feels like it's a ways off from happening or it may not ever happen.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feels like they managed to piss away a good deal of the great press the movie got after its film festival debut. Even the RT seems to have dipped pretty generously after the hype wore down (seems like it might miss Certified Fresh).

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
They're absolutely wagging the dog. They want to get the incels all lathered up with anger before they've even seen the movie. Then, when one of the more impressionable of them snaps, they can be like "LOOK! SEE? WE TOLD YOU!!1"
Pre-emptively blaming any potential violence on media members asking questions about the extremely obvious parallels to the real world is a weird take for sure.

It's not like there's been actually warnings by the FBI. OH WAIT THERE FUCKING HAS.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Also I find it weird that we simultaneously argue that media has no effect on people and thus Joker won't result in anything, but people asking questions on social media is stirring the pot and an attempt to will into existence a mass shooting.

These views don't square too well.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Also I find it weird that we simultaneously argue that media has no effect on people and thus Joker won't result in anything, but people asking questions on social media is stirring the pot and an attempt to will into existence a mass shooting.

People will say whatever they feel like they need to in order to defend the comic book movie fort.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Oh fuck right off. Instead of competently answering questions about your film's core thesis, the director decides to whine "WHAT ABOUT JOHN WICK?!" and then kicks out anyone who might pose a challenging opinion.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I thought the lesson with Joker was not to judge anything before it had been experienced. No one got to ask questions but we're assuming all of them would only ask about implications of violence. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Except they've already been hit with those questions. What you're saying doesn't make sense.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Almost noones seen the film yet that's the problem. So the film can't really incite anything yet. This media circus as it is now sure can though.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the press have been ridiculous towards this movie and in a vacuum it would be quite deserved. But that's a stupid move that's only going to make the furore even worse.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but are there people in this thread literally stating that the media and people concerned about the content of the film are trying to incite violence just to slander this film?
What a ridiculous fucking idea. I've seen a lot of people blindly defending the film because they think entertainment is more important than real world issues but to skew the narrative that much makes me think that some of the people defending this film are doing it "just to own the libs"

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
To the people who are saying "wait until you've seen the movie," most of the press has seen the movie already and is still legitimately concerned.

I've seen the movie. I'm legitimately concerned.

I don't think the movie should be banned or anything, but I 100% understand why people are concerned that this movie could incite violence in mentally ill people.

Dodging questions about this seems to me, above all else, a latent admission that the filmmakers know that they have a problematic film on their hands.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The circus around this film has been utterly moronic in every sense of the word. I'm inclined to believe that all of the press about an incident occurring due to the film will actually be the thing that inspires said incident.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Almost noones seen the film yet that's the problem. So the film can't really incite anything yet. This media circus as it is now sure can though.

So movies can't create shootings but criticizing a movie can. Got it.

They're absolutely wagging the dog. They want to get the incels all lathered up with anger before they've even seen the movie. Then, when one of the more impressionable of them snaps, they can be like "LOOK! SEE? WE TOLD YOU!!1"

So saying a movie is about an incel type makes incels snap and shoot people?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All this media blow up has made it more likely to see an actual tragedy in the cinema since now is getting more attention than ever

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the people who are saying "wait until you've seen the movie," most of the press has seen the movie already and is still legitimately concerned.

I've seen the movie. I'm legitimately concerned.

I don't think the movie should be banned or anything, but I 100% understand why people are concerned that this movie could incite violence in mentally ill people.

Dodging questions about this seems to me, above all else, a latent admission that the filmmakers know that they have a problematic film on their hands.

Why this movie in particular? There's no other movie out there with a similar premise?

I can see why people are thinking the media is inviting this to happen.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Except they've already been hit with those questions. What you're saying doesn't make sense.
My point is to point out various hypocrisies in the pro-Joker camp.

We can't judge the film negatively because it hasn't been released (even though reviews, impressions, and the script leaked,) but we can totally dismiss every single reporter who may have shown up as being shit-stirrers trying to impart an agenda in the film that could potentially stoke a mass shooting, even though no reporter got a chance to ask any questions whatsoever.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Why this movie in particular? There's no other movie out there with a similar premise?

I can see why people are thinking the media is inviting this to happen.

You aren't paying attention, then. The Hunt was similarly incendiary in this political climate and got yanked from release because of fears that it might incite violence.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How on EARTH can "The Press will put ideas in ppls heads and make a shooing happen/willing-it-to-be" be reconciled with the claim the movie it's self could never do the same it's self, bringing us right back to the beginning of needing to discuss the interplay of society and media in the first place.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I thought the lesson with Joker was not to judge anything before it had been experienced. No one got to ask questions but we're assuming all of them would only ask about implications of violence. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
source.gif

It's truly hilarious seeing some of these posts.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

equating reserving judgement of an artists work before experiencing it with expecting the hollywood press, possibly the closest thing we have to anti-art imaginable, to ask redundant questions, their entire job, is certainly a hot take