• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/kentucky-cuts-polling-locations-angry-mob-long-lines-georgia-election-day-disaster-confusion-a9577501.html

This is real life in the US.

In a typical election year, Kentucky has about 3,700 polling sites, according to most reports. When Election Day arrives on 23 June, there will be just 200 polling sites across the state — with some of those sites having to serve upwards of 600,000 residents.

Voting rights expert Ari Berman wrote in a tweet: "There will be one polling place for 616,000 registered voters in Louisville's Jefferson County, where half state's black voters live."

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Never think for a second that Republicans don't know what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I'd expect mass rioting if/when this shit is pulled in November.

November is going to be a make or break moment for the U.S. and the GOP are doing everything possible to cheat.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Again, this is why the left needs to wake up and start paying attention to state and local elections.

After that they need to go to community meetings, volunteer on commissions, etc.

These things happen because we only show up on election day.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This should really be a national scandal. It needs to be hammered home to those that don't pay attention to stuff like this that the state of Kentucky and the GOP aren't being incompetent or cautious regarding Covid here. This is intimidation and malicious voter suppresion by design, held up in courts by Republican judges.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious all. Is there anything we can do as citizens regarding this? Apart from the obvious like trying to convince people to not vote in people who let shit like this happen.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I laugh my ass off every time the US appears as a stable democracy in the democracy index

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Very encouraged that America's applying the same can-do attitude toward voter suppression as we are to Covid.

If ignoring doesn't solve the problem we don't want to hear about it!

OP
OP
naib

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I had to re-register in a new county. pulled it off just in time for locals.
Make sure y'all are still registered. My SO had fallen out for whatever reason

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
And I keep telling y'all that the GOP won't allow there to be an election unless they are certain they can't lose!

real2

Jan 31, 2019
I can see other GOP states pulling a Georgia and outright stealing an election again. It's going to happen

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wish our Democratic senators and reps would be more vocal about this stuff. Even if it's not your state. Go on every channel and scream it from the rooftop.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
3.7k to 200 is just nuts

inclined to say that would "supress" old/white GOP voters as well no matter how ballistic the polling locations are planned

idolminds

Nov 2, 2017
616,000 voters with one place to vote. If they managed to be so efficient to have one voter vote per second it would take one week non-stop to have them all vote.

Now polls are only open for 12 hours on one day and obviously not all of those registered voters will show up or need to vote in person. If 75% of those voters either voted by mail/absentee or don't show up, they would still have to get roughly 4 people to vote every second for those 12 hours to get them all done.

To get that down to the still impossible task of 1 voter per second for 12 hours, only 7% of registered voters could show up to vote in person.

(sorry I was bored and had a calculator)

OP
OP
naib

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
616,000 voters with one place to vote. If they managed to be so efficient to have one voter vote per second it would take one week non-stop to have them all vote.

Now polls are only open for 12 hours on one day and obviously not all of those registered voters will show up or need to vote in person. If 75% of those voters either voted by mail/absentee or don't show up, they would still have to get roughly 4 people to vote every second for those 12 hours to get them all done.

To get that down to the still impossible task of 1 voter per second for 12 hours, only 7% of registered voters could show up to vote in person.

So even in the best case scenario it's still pretty much impossible to vote.
Thank you and your calculator. <3

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Send your letters to John Roberts, one of the biggest bastards in SCOTUS history.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I"m confused, doesn't Kentucky still do county by county voting? So even if there's only 1 station for that county, and only 10% of the people get to vote, it'd still be the same result?

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Preview for November ?
GOP are scum.

Just as important to win the Senate with as many seats as possible.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

The Jefferson County polls you're referencing are actually open for over a week (they opened this Monday IIRC, and will be open through the Tuesday primary).

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Disenfranchisement is, however, unconstitutional. While judges have leeway when applying the law, this should be in clear violation. Should.

The Supreme Court voted 5-4 just this year to the exact same thing happening in Wisconsin. John Roberts is the biggest opponent to the Voting Rights Act on the Supreme court.

Status
Not open for further replies.