• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cubaneyes

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well i did it guys, went to sleep and dreamt of stealing the picture and now i am the sole owner of this piece, i will sell it for 25k in cash only...it is one of a kind!

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
High art and fashion are two things I will just never understand. Do whatever you want with your money but sheesh, that is not for me.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
And I've got just the man to steal it.

giphy.gif

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Here's the thing people always miss with these conceptual art pieces: the way it will get a bunch of people to say "wtf, that isn't art" is the point. People always act like the artist and buyer aren't "in on the joke" and are somehow unaware of what they're doing, when the entire point of the piece is to provoke the exact type of reaction that they're having.
So they're insufferable real-life trolls, basically.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Circle jerk wankery.

I need to think up something like this and be thesaurusical about it. Yeah that word is made up. 😂

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
A sculpture ? In this time of the year ? Located only in your kitchen ? Can I see it ?

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of an assignment I had one time in a religion class in high school...it was supposed to be a creative exercise (I guess) and we were to draw a new type of life form as if we were God.

I cynically scribbled at the bottom "My lifeform is invisible" and took a nap for the rest of the period.

I got a "100" for it

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of an assignment I had one time in a religion class in high school...it was supposed to be a creative exercise (I guess) and we were to draw a new type of life form as if we were God.

I cynically scribbled at the bottom "My lifeform is invisible" and took a nap for the rest of the period.

I got a "100" for it
Did you go to some Christian private school?

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Here's the thing people always miss with these conceptual art pieces: the way it will get a bunch of people to say "wtf, that isn't art" is the point. People always act like the artist and buyer aren't "in on the joke" and are somehow unaware of what they're doing, when the entire point of the piece is to provoke the exact type of reaction that they're having.
Just because they're aware of how stupid it is doesn't make it any less stupid

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
A perfect example of how the art world is completely up its own ass

and yet

still somehow less ridiculous than NFTs

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I thought maybe for a second it was a sculpture designed and painted in such a way to render it invisible when you look at it straight on or something.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The contemporary art world is so fucking dumb. It's 99% shameless self-promoters who managed to make themselves a name and can now sell anything (or nothing) for outrageous amounts of money. NFTs are the culmination of that. Just celebrities selling worthless shit or memes to people with too much fuck-you-money.

I minor'ed arts history at uni and it reinforced that perspective on the art world

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Also this piece isn't steal-able, right? Or could *anyone* claim to have stolen its energy?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to steal this sculpture and demand a $10,000 ransom.

In fact, I already stole it.

Prove me wrong!

Pro-tip: You can't

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't art like this tax avoidance? You get an artist to make "art" for you, hire an appraiser to set the price for said "art" to what you want to avoid in taxes, buy "art", donate to a museum, and write it off as a charitable donation?
Don't take this the wrong way, but I've never understood these posts re: charitable donations.
  1. Buy art for $18,000
  2. Donate to museum
  3. Deduct taxable income by $18,000
  4. Save a percentage (to be easy, lets say 50%) of $18,000 on taxes
  5. Still out $9,000.
  6. ???
  7. Profit?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Don't take this the wrong way, but I've never understood these posts re: charitable donations.
  1. Buy art for $18,000
  2. Donate to museum
  3. Deduct taxable income by $18,000
  4. Save a percentage (to be easy, lets say 50%) of $18,000 on taxes
  5. Still out $9,000.
  6. ???
  7. Profit?
Eh you're missing a step. When it's later donated to the museum, the art auditor estimates the price to be higher than what it sold for (sometimes 100x or more the buying price) .

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rich people and art feels like such a snobby combo. Like wasn't there a banana duct taped to a wall, before? Talk about obnoxious.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The energy of the artwork", lmfao. Pretentious cringe shit right there. Maybe I should sell my boogers as art because I flicked them into an art gallery? They're art now right? Shit's trash.

xHk3uED.jpg

"This void... It's everything!"
Best episode ever. Perfectly exposed everything wrong with these corny ass "artists" these days.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Like a couple of others have said, it's probably a sculpture of John Cena.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I'd imagine if this were stolen, it would involve a complex set of briefcases that would require the artist to be connected to. The thieves would use the briefcases to travel a few layers deep into the artist's mind, causing the artist to think about the idea of this artwork on a deeper level, and then having that idea changed. Perhaps the thieves could escape from those deeper layers back to reality with "bumps" of some sort. Maybe it would be called an "Inception" of thought after the heist is over.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread reeks of, "I could do that but I didn't".
This kind of work has been done to death and is trite. Martin Creed won the Turner prize like 20 years ago with work that could be considered way more contemporaneous/relevant and that was 20 years ago! BTW his work includes a piece of blu-tak on a wall... and a scrunched up paper ball...

Anyone who has even read an art book in the last twenty years can see this is just bad. There's nothing else to say about it.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Did you go to some Christian private school?

Catholic HS for the last 3 of 4 years...we weren't personally religious, but my dad especially preferred to have me in private school instead of public. For comparison, the entire student body of the private school (~900) was less than just the freshman student body of the public school (~500)