• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New 52 was indeed wack but Snyder's Batman run was fantastic from start to finish.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I had completely forgotten about Pandora and all that stuff with the box. They were setting her up as the driving force of the main New 52 narrative early on in stuff like Flashpoint and I think some early Justice League stuff, then just completely dropped it.

Didio, man
This could probably get me in trouble. When you talk to me about talent, I used to say this to people, and they used to get somewhat offended. I said, "I don't see people when the stories are being written or drawn sometimes, because I'm looking at what's engaging to me." Do I notice your name? No, I'm looking at the characters.

I used to be forceful in some conversations, because I was so focused on what needed to be said and done with the character's story. I didn't even realize who was in a room, or who I was talking to. I was just addressing the idea rather than the people.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I kept up with New 52 Batman for a while and liked it a lot when I was reading it. Fell off just over halfway through. Might finish it someday.

Never really got into anything else though.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I read a little of New 52 Batman. The Court of Owls was kind of cool in that first arc. Harper Row had some potential, and might not have rubbed fans the wrong way if they hadn't erased Cass and Stephanie at the time. Death of the Family and some of the changes they made drove me away. The Mr. Freeze backstory change being one of the things that just felt like an unpleasant change for change's sake.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, DC from like the 90s on up to 52 was pretty incredible. Killer books in there. 52 really sucked the life out of the best thing DC has, the legacies of these characters. The DCU feels so much bigger than Marvel due to the histories there, and to throw that away on these reboots is really short-sighted.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
as a very casual comics fan trying to figure out what was going on and what books were good to read was a nightmare

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
All of these attempts at getting a bigger audience by retooling the creative remain doomed to failure as long as they're stuck in the current distribution model. Thank god they're out from under the Diamond arrangement (and I imagine the pandemic threw any plans at reworking physical distribution into complete disarray) but they've got to figure out something new

I completely skipped the N52 stuff honestly, I've dipped back into it now that people have called out some of the best stuff in hindsight

Nov 13, 2017
De-aging Batman while trying to keep the his and the Robin's history intact was dumb as hell. Nightwing, Red Hood and Batman were all practically the same age. Not having a guideline of what happened and what didn't really made things confusing.

"Everything happened in 5 years" made it seem like Batman just burned through a bunch of interns with the Robins.

Feel sort of bad writers had to defend this stuff while being confused and annoyed about this themselves.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
When I looked at the New 52, it wasn't just about relaunching the books, but also diversifying the product and the characters. And everything was about diversification, before "diversification" became a buzzword.

We really wanted to make sure we were reaching out and trying different things and different types of stories. As much as people talk about Superman or Batman, or any one of the relaunches of the primary characters, I was more excited about the Men of Wars, or I, Vampires, and the other things that were part of that, because ultimately, that's the part of comics that brings in the casual readers — people picking up books if they're not superhero fans, but want to read the medium.

See, Didio says this but I don't think he is ever willing to admit just how tone-deaf and ass-backward some of these choices truly were. Rebooting Starfire into basically being a Nympho. Making Amanda Waller sexy. Bruteforcing Barbara Gordon out of her wheelchair and putting her back in the Batgirl costume. Geoff Johns bungling of Cyborg. The complete shitshow was the handling of the Static book. It was "diverse" in a way to still go strictly for a straight while male audience first and foremost before anyone else.

Oct 8, 2019
"Lets reboot the DC Universe so we can remove storylines that create burdens on characters and hold them back, while keeping the stuff that made the characters as popular as they are" isnt a bad idea, like its impossible to write say Cheshire as anything other than a psychopath because they wrote a story where she nuked the equivalent of Libya which makes her relationship with Roy and Lian kind of useless because she's just Lian's sociopath mother.

The problem is that no one was willing to sit everyone down in a group and hash out the previous history, and put out a series of books explaining what is and what isnt out of canon making characters changes come off as random or haphazard.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I really liked a lot of books at the start, even though I was pissed at the change at the time. Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Dial H, Demon Knights, Batman, Batgirl, and Wonder Woman I thought were great. It was REALLY clear that they didn't know what they were doing, though. Suicide Squad and Teen Titans got rebooted multiple times, Batman/Gotham kept getting shoehorned into unrelated books, a lot of creators outside those protected seemed to be in constant states of maybe being fired (hell I think they fired then unfired Gail Simone).

I did like the 'unless we specifically contradict it, all old stories still happened' bit.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This is embarrassing for me to admit in comics circles but I got back into comics for a few years starting with all the publicity following New 52. Returned to my local comic shop for the first time since my childhood and started subscribing to New 52 books.

I ended up loving Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and the Azzarello run on Wonder Woman. I also really liked the Batman & Robin run up to a certain big plot incident I won't spoil here (only maybe the first 12-15 issues before that happened). It ultimately spring-boarded me over to other contemporary things going on through the comics world that I ended up falling in love with, namely Mark Waid Daredevil, Jonathan Hickman Avengers, and Matt Fraction Hawkeye and I really loved the short run Fraction did on FF (not Fantastic Four, but FF was its sister book and I thought it was super charming albeit briefly-lived). I also came to it pretty late but the Superior Foes of Spider-Man by a then smaller-time Nick Spencer was brilliant and funny as hell. And outside of cape stuff, I got into Saga, The Wicked and the Divine...

I dropped off a few years a little ways into Marvel NOW and have only half-heartedly followed Hickman X-Men since, but that is probably the most I've actually done comic books for my lifetime, and it all started with the maligned New 52.
That's not embarrassing at all. Everyone new and old got pulled in from the hype. New 52 gave the comic industry a big boost in new readers that it desperately needed. It may not have benefitted DC in the long-run but it benefitted other companies during that time.

Last edited:

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up reading DC in the ninties on Ellis Wildstorm, Morrison JLA and Waid Flash.

I was so spoiled. Made the Dido era seem sooooo much worse by comparison.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Wild to me that New 52 is a decade old now. DC never really recovered even now from these mistakes, but I hope they do.

The weird N52 books like Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Dial H, Demon Knights and Frankenstein Agent of SHADE were rad, but the core stuff? Like building a rebooted universe on a foundation of mud.

Aug 13, 2019
I jumped into comics for the first time with the New 52. I thought it'd be a good jumping point because it was a reboot and I could just read the old stories at my leisure. Turned out o be disappointing and unnecessarily confusing as far as canon goes. IT was such an odd choice to basically condense Batman's history to 5 years instead of slowly reintroduce Jason, Tim, Damian, etc. The lack of commitment to the reboot was very noticeable. Other than that, I liked Batman's book. I also liked Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batgirl, Grifter, Green Lantern, Superboy and I have mixed feelings about Wonder Woman.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So like... what IS the current continuity in DC?

I'm so out of touch I had to remember Superboy Prime was before this

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I was 70-30 DC to Marvel books, and a heavy reader through New 52, but I felt so burned by DC after that, and pretty much went 100% marvel after that event. Never really recovered, and the events they've done since then have shown me that DC has just continued to struggle.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Oh shit, and the Wonder Woman book--which was pretty well received, I think?--giving Diana daddy issues and then making the Amazons roving sea-rapists can also fuck off forever.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
The New 52 versions of the Teen Titans were awful (they ruined Tim Drake and made him never Robin or even Tim Drake being his real name). Also how they wrote a lot of female characters like Harley, and Starfire was really gross and problematic.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I appreciated about New 52 is that DC took a chance on some wild books that would never get published today. It was mostly a failure as reboots go, but there were a few books I really appreciated them putting out.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New 52 was indeed wack but Snyder's Batman run was fantastic from start to finish.
I mostly agree with this, except it gave Snyder clout enough to do what he wanted and all that has really come of it is the never ending shitty Metal stuff.
The Mr. Freeze backstory change being one of the things that just felt like an unpleasant change for change's sake.
Im not going to say your wrong for feeling that way, but I do feel it's worth noting that the Nora origin was also a retcon change to appeal to the strong emotional response to the cartoon where that version of Victors origin was introduced. Not saying any of it is wrong or right it's comics, and retcons of previous retcons seem to be a feature not a bug.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
52, Final Crisis, and Morrison's Batman were some of my favorite modern DC, so you can bet I was less than enthused with New 52. The weird titles were dope. The stuff Jeff Lemire wrote was great, and I personally loved Morrison's Action Comics, but there was a lot I didnt like about tossing decades of continuity away.

man….i need to reread 52…

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
I learned to just not really care what they're trying to do for an overarching narrative anymore, so long as they put some good stories out. It worked out best for runs that were largely distanced from the rest of the DCU, ie Lemire's Animal Man and Azz's Wonder Woman, both of which were phenomenal. I miss the WondyxOrion ship.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhh... I don't like talking about it much. Still lots of good stories to be found though.

They had me in the first half, not gonna lie.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I always found it funny, at the time, that some comics barely changed at all in the new 52. Batman and Green Lantern in particular felt largely segregated off away from any of the major changes taking place elsewhere.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So like... what IS the current continuity in DC?

"Everything is canon!", which doesn't actually mean that. It varies a lot from character to character. In general both Post-Crisis and New52 continuity are valid, in spite of being heavily contradictory at points, with the New52 origins generally thrown out. Batman and Wonder Woman's histories are treated as fully canon, going back to the Golden Age, meanwhile Superman has all the post-Crisis continuity and some New52/Rebirth elements, but older elements from Silver or Golden ages are limited to minor references here and there. Then you have Shazam, who is still almost purely New52.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly agree with this, except it gave Snyder clout enough to do what he wanted and all that has really come of it is the never ending shitty Metal stuff.

Im not going to say your wrong for feeling that way, but I do feel it's worth noting that the Nora origin was also a retcon change to appeal to the strong emotional response to the cartoon where that version of Victors origin was introduced. Not saying any of it is wrong or right it's comics, and retcons of previous retcons seem to be a feature not a bug.

That's completely fair. I shouldn't have painted my opinion that way, or made it seem like retcons and changes are inherently bad. I'm not against retcons and changes, as you said comics are kind of built on retcons. I think for me, the Freeze retcon was just a sign that I wasn't going to like the direction DC was going in. I probably have too much affection for the character's arc through the BtAS and Batman Beyond. It just felt like with the New 52 interpretation took a character with at least some kernel of humanity and just removed it to make Freeze yet another unpleasant psycho to add to the pile. Combine that with stuff like the Joker walking around with his face stapled on and it was clear the N52 just wasn't for me.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This era sucked so much, it was my breaking point from being a lifelong reader of DC.

Didio sucks, yet I feel that Geoff Johns and Jim Lee share quite a bit of the guilt of the shittiness of the New 52 era.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The New 52 versions of the Teen Titans were awful (they ruined Tim Drake and made him never Robin or even Tim Drake being his real name). Also how they wrote a lot of female characters like Harley, and Starfire was really gross and problematic.
That and the fact that they tried to cram all of Batman's history into 10 years is crazy. Especially since he has a 10 year old son!

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
The more I look back at it; Batwoman is the only New 52 series I have ever revisited more than once. Batman wasn't bad either. But outside of that, I really wanted to like Wonder Woman & The Flash, but I couldn't get into them.

I still will never forgive this shit for being the reason Stephanie got kicked out of the Batgirl suit either.

They really fucked up a few of the Batfamily members. Disgusting, and they had been trying for a while, beginning with War Games, I didn't mind too much Jason being brought back, but then we had some fuckery with Tim and Cassandra too. Also, what Didio tried to do with Dick even before all that. Not sure how I feel about losing Oracle.
Then the bullshit with the legacy characters, Wally West, and the rest. That ugly Superman redesign, Jim Lee comes up with some truly hideous redesigns sometimes. And then some of those wtf designs, Lobo, Weller, I stopped reading comics for a long time, and even now I am not as much on board as I was before, I used to buy and enjoy so much.
I really need to go back and read some of the odd side non superhero series I missed, always hear good things about them.
Good riddance to Didio.

Last edited:

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I find it hilarious and sad that they didn't let Barbara wear glasses because of the Oracle connection. Like it's one thing to not have her be Oracle anymore, and another thing to scrub any connection at all.

Cass and Steph deserved better too

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Every single Jason fan during the New 52:

XUYxJOI.gif

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Oh shit, and the Wonder Woman book--which was pretty well received, I think?--giving Diana daddy issues and then making the Amazons roving sea-rapists can also fuck off forever.
Tbf that's actually kinda mythologically accurate in some stories

new 52 Wonder Woman was great I liked her characterizations the most there , shame it's all gone now
Every single Jason fan during the New 52:

XUYxJOI.gif
Yeah tbf weve been eating since that era

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's completely fair. I shouldn't have painted my opinion that way, or made it seem like retcons and changes are inherently bad. I'm not against retcons and changes, as you said comics are kind of built on retcons. I think for me, the Freeze retcon was just a sign that I wasn't going to like the direction DC was going in. I probably have too much affection for the character's arc through the BtAS and Batman Beyond. It just felt like with the New 52 interpretation took a character with at least some kernel of humanity and just removed it to make Freeze yet another unpleasant psycho to add to the pile. Combine that with stuff like the Joker walking around with his face stapled on and it was clear the N52 just wasn't for me.
To be even more fair I agree that the Nora origin fits Freeze best it just didn't bother me, and as a horror fan I liked staple face joker. I actually really like Snyder's run but if it didn't wirk for you it's all good, they really did screw up with the new 52, and while I may have liked the stories that Snyder told, what it did to the bat family and continuity in the larger sense was pretty bad.

Oct 26, 2017
To be even more fair I agree that the Nora origin fits Freeze best it just didn't bother me, and as a horror fan I liked staple face joker. I actually really like Snyder's run but if it didn't wirk for you it's all good, they really did screw up with the new 52, and while I may have liked the stories that Snyder told, what it did to the bat family and continuity in the larger sense was pretty bad.

Agreed, Snyder's stories were decent (though nowhere near the calibre of his stuff with DickBats) but they never came close to making up for everything we lost to get them (in my opinion anyway).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What's utterly insane to me is that they did the exact same thing with Rebirth.

I mean, they did the exact same thing with most of their reboots, all the way back to Crisis (and as usual, the Legion and the New Teen Titans paid the price). Like they had to jump through so many hoops post Crisis to keep the Legion intact (and Giffen and the Bierbaums did a fantastic job), let alone what it did to all the ex sidekicks and Donna Troy in particular. And then you have Hawkman...

Oct 29, 2017
lol
iCE5vHs.png

DiDio sounds like a dumbass so much in this article. This, "I didn't even notice who I was talking to" and cancelling profitable books were the worst bits.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
"Everything is canon!", which doesn't actually mean that. It varies a lot from character to character. In general both Post-Crisis and New52 continuity are valid, in spite of being heavily contradictory at points, with the New52 origins generally thrown out. Batman and Wonder Woman's histories are treated as fully canon, going back to the Golden Age, meanwhile Superman has all the post-Crisis continuity and some New52/Rebirth elements, but older elements from Silver or Golden ages are limited to minor references here and there. Then you have Shazam, who is still almost purely New52.
In the case of Shazam its probably a good thing they dropped any of the Post-crisis to pre-flashpoint stuff, they really had done the marvel family dirty in the last few years before the 'relaunch'.

I read the n52 for maybe 3 months before I literally dropped everything, you could tell back then there was no plan and things were all over the place

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
52, Final Crisis, and Morrison's Batman were some of my favorite modern DC, so you can bet I was less than enthused with New 52. The weird titles were dope. The stuff Jeff Lemire wrote was great, and I personally loved Morrison's Action Comics, but there was a lot I didnt like about tossing decades of continuity away.

man….i need to reread 52…
I still like 52.

And, of course, reading the stuff in the accompanying material, Waid (I think it's Waid) talks about how 52 was good because they kept Dan AWAY.

He thought they were fucking it up.

Then we got his version of that, Brightest Day.

And well, the world did not know the true meaning of fucked up until then

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I hope People don't confuse 52 with the New 52, because 52 is my favorite Non Batman non Doom Patrol/Vertigo cape thing ever, even gave me a lot more respect for Booster Gold.