• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Nope. I agree with it. My problem is the use of "Iraqi Lives Matter." The substance is 100% correct, the co-opting of a phrase regarding a black political movement to bolster another movement is where I take issue.

Setting aside the fact that "proving once again that _____ lives do not matter" has been used when critiquing the consequences of endless middle eastern conflicts for decades and I don't think it's co-opting BLM, your post did not indicate your issue with the tweet.

For context, I'm a black person. I'm also a leftist. It is perfectly normal for leftists to use the expression used in that tweet and I think it's just a matter of perspective.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Did you read the article?

The IC's human intelligence (HUMINT) assessments overvalued the reliability of the Iraqi source known as Curveball. Intelligence was predicated on that. Curveball wasn't reliable. The National Intelligence Estimate that was hastily thrown together was meant to be a consensus product of the IC, but it effectively wasn't. CIA -- which is the national HUMINT manager -- had doubts. INR, which is the Department of State's intelligence arm, also had doubts. The fact that the finished intelligence was largely predicated upon Curveball-related reporting, yet American officers had never actually met Curveball, was and remains striking.

The finished intelligence was flawed. By "finished intelligence," I mean there were errors in collection and assessment. The weakness should have been flagged for decision-makers. Some of them did:

So, some people tried. It looks like INR tried. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I read the WMD Commission Report, but it should contain the fullest amount of relevant details. Either way, the invasion was based on layers of bullshit.

What had happened was, America was hit by the Middle East during 9/11, as they saw it, and responded with 500x the violence in retaliation, any attempt to justify it through military intelligence was poppycock, it always was.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I hold, and always will hold a ton of respect for Colin Powell.

His voice may not mean much at places like this (or far-right haunts for that matter), but his voice still has weight in influential military and political circles. I'm happy to see him denouncing this Republican party.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

His voice may not mean much at places like this (or far-right haunts for that matter), but his voice still has weight in influential military and political circles. I'm happy to see him denouncing this Republican party.
Respect? lol
You going to say you respect a war criminal ass nigga lol
"now sure he killed a lot of people but you got to respect the man"

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
My thing is former Republicans that say we've gone too far but I was fine with us until we crossed that line aren't actually repentant anyway.

Reaganism was evil too for example

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
What had happened was, America was hit by the Middle East during 9/11, as they saw it, and responded with 500x the violence in retaliation, any attempt to justify it through military intelligence was poppycock, it always was.
Yeah, in broad strokes, I don't disagree. A separate argument could be had in a parallel world where Saddam actually had WMDs and was targeting the US, its allies, or innocents. But he didn't.

It really was a monumental intelligence failure. US analysts couldn't even understand why Saddam bluffed about having WMDs until well after the fact. It turns out that he bluffed because he wanted to dissuade Iranian aggression and valued that over the risk the US might attack him.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No shit this guy isnt someone to admire. Who the fuck is saying that. People act like GOP not acting as a monolith isn't worthy to note.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
My thing is former Republicans that say we've gone too far but I was fine with us until we crossed that line aren't actually repentant anyway.

Reaganism was evil too for example

This is why a return to "normalcy" isn't good enough for me. It's still crossing the line, just not indignantly as it was done during the Trumpian era.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I agree with it. My problem is the use of "Iraqi Lives Matter." The substance is 100% correct, the co-opting of a phrase regarding a black political movement to bolster another movement is where I take issue.
They didn't say "Iraqi Lives Matter" in a way to co opt off of Black Lives Matter. It was a way to express that careers and American hegomeny were more important than Iraqi lives. Also your response was Rose Twitter which had nothing to do with another group trying to co opt Black Lives Matter. If that's what you felt you should of said that instead of what you posted.

Oct 28, 2017
You were fine with it when the Trump administration was kidnapping kids and adopting them out to evangelicals though, right?

Sit the fuck down.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Hostility over a series of posts, prior bans for hostility
You have your opinion and I have mine nigga.

You're not about to shame into disrespecting this black man so no need to waste your time.
I dont need to shame a nigga who going to say they respect a coon ass war criminal. Nigga you shame fucking yourself

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So when the face of your party was calling Mexicans rapists and calling white supremacists "good people" it was all good?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
A message to everyone who was okay with Trump before but is not okay with him now; FUUUUUUUCK OFFFFFF

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Threadbanned (1 Day): Further Action Pending Review
Ok?

Are you playing a character or are you seriously bothered that someone on the internet has respect for Colin Powell?

Like I really can't tell. You're fucking with me, yeah?
Fucking with you? You think I'm fucking with you because you came in here saying that you respected a fucking coon ass war criminal. Do you live in Fantasyland?
So riddle me this why
do you respect a known war criminal?

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Fucking with you? You think I'm fucking with you because you came in here saying that you respected a fucking coon ass war criminal. Do you live in Fantasyland?
So riddle me this why
do you respect a known war criminal?

I don't know man, your responses just seem...a bit over the top for someone saying they respect Colin fucking Powell?

But you win, you got me. I tap out. We can continue over DM but I don't want to derail further.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man, your responses just seem...a bit over the top for someone saying they respect Colin fucking Powell?

But you win, you got me. I tap out. We can continue over DM but I don't want to derail further.
Colin Powell is responsiblefor the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. And yet you think that's over the top to question why you respect Colin Powell? Sit down bro and log out and think about who you going to respect

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017

If his voice still has weight in military and political circles, those circles have issues.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Derailing a Thread with Oppression Olympics
Point out fact = "rose twitter"

War crime = "mistake"

Motherfucker should be in jail with his buddy, got his and all of those fuckers assets confiscate and redistribute back to Iraq as a sorry for fuck up a god damn country. Mistake MY FUCKING ASS.
I think a certain group deserves reparations far before iraqi's. Even though they are owed, too.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, this is like one of the most benevolent co-opting of a movement's slogan.

Like, taking someone to task for that is just 'Bitch eating crackers' syndrome.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
American's don't care.
Yeah this is some real revisionist history.

America was out for blood across both party lines after 9/11. The majority of Americans would have been ok with invading any muslim country and that included Iraq.

Colin is more guilty than the regular American citizen but there was real pushback and it was ugly if you were against the war or anything the military/government did back then. I clearly remember people who were in the progressive camp then and still are now giving me the traitor side eye look for saying what a crock of shit the whole idea behind the Iraq war was. If you were paying attention it was clearly rushed and it felt stinky at the time but its my opinion most Americans did not really give any value to Iraqi and maybe just muslim lives at the time. I hope that has changed but I probably don't want to know the answer to that question.

I think people should definitely shit on W and Colin for their involvement and they should be tried as war criminals but don't let the American people off the hook either.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yeah I don't disagree. Still, if he can help sway even a small percentage of the military vote, I'm glad he said something.
A good portion of persuadable military voters, who are actually more balanced than you might think (allotting for differences in branch, officer vs. enlisted, and job series)... probably don't even know who Colin Powell is.

Remember that there are kids serving in the military now who were born AFTER 9/11.

If Powell truly wanted to make a difference, he could've spoken out forcefully and consistently back when he was more relevant.

Powell's statement isn't meant to persuade. It's entirely self-serving. It's aimed at his own cohort -- same age, same background, same DC think tank parties, same retired general/flag officer dinners.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure will and did, and don't call me "nigga".
Nigga because like you do know native American exist right? and they got fucked over long before we got here. We literally the richest country to have ever exist and to have any fucking games about who get reparations first is fucking ludicrous.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nigga because like you do know native American exist right? and they got fucked over long before we got here. We literally the richest country to have ever exist and to have any fucking games about who get reparations first is fucking ludicrous.
Excuse me? I recall I asked you to not call me "nigga". Are you serious? I don't know you. And you know what? Yes. Native Americans first. How's that? You win. Don't call me "nigga" again.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
A good portion of persuadable military voters, who are actually more balanced than you might think (allotting for differences in branch, officer vs. enlisted, and job series)... probably don't even know who Colin Powell is.

Remember that there are kids serving in the military now who were born AFTER 9/11.

If Powell truly wanted to make a difference, he could've spoken out forcefully and consistently back when he was more relevant.

Powell's statement isn't meant to persuade. It's entirely self-serving. It's aimed at his own cohort -- same age, same background, same DC think tank parties, same retired general/flag officer dinners.

I'd be genuinely surprised if the vast majority of younger military voters didn't know Colin Powell. Either way, the people many of these younger recruits look up to almost certainly do know him. And some number of those people have misgivings about the GOP. So if your voice can help change a few minds, you use it imo.

Now maybe that's a charitable read but I think it's reasonable.

I agree that he should have been much more forceful, much earlier.