• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://variety.com/2019/tv/ratings...lion-viewers-sets-new-series-high-1203220928/

The "Game of Thrones" series finale ratings are here and they are — as you'd expect — staggering.

Across HBO, HBO Go, and HBO NOW, the conclusion of the megahit fantasy series drew 19.3 million viewers, overtaking the previous series high of 18.4 million viewers that was set just last week. In addition, 13.6 million people watched 9 p.m. telecast on HBO alone, breaking the record for the biggest single telecast in HBO history. The previous record holder was the Season 4 premiere of "The Sopranos" in 2002, which drew 13.4 million.

"Game of Thrones" also once again lifted up the Bill Hader-led comedy "Barry," whose Season 2 finale drew 2.7 million viewers across HBO's platforms. That is up over 250% compared to the Season 1 finale, which drew 774,000 viewers when it aired last year.

The ending of "Game of Thrones" has proven incredibly divisive among fans of the show. The series finale pulled in just a 56% critical approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, ranking as one of the most disliked episodes in series history. Season 8 itself averaged a 69% approval rating, making it the lowest-rated season in the show's history.

In before "Of COURSE people wanted to see how it ends!"

how long til that spin off?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
how did Barry do

edit: 2.7 million

ah, missed it by a smidgen

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
That beats out The Walking Dead's record of 17.4M.
So this was the most watched premium cable or standard cable of all time, it seems like. (Concurrently)

GalacticToast

Oct 25, 2017
Just like with Marvel, mediocrity is rewarded
209295b3260ae8fe2753a3b5944196cf

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad it was horrendous. And of course this thread is posted by Dalek.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

CBS isn't cable. Not sure if that was the case in the early 80s though.

I doubt that (and similar finales from that era) will ever be beaten though, simply because there's significantly more stuff to watch now and TV viewership is in decline in general I think.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The internet keeps telling me that cable is dead but twice as many people watched it on cable verses streaming

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just happy it ended with no cliffhanger.
But it sorta did. Drogon and Dany's body's fate is unknown other than it was said they were headed east. Jon and Arya is headed to who knows where. I mean they still left it open enough to continue the story someday if they wanted to and they can go lots of places with it ( Daenerys resurrection, Bran is seceretly the night king, or some kinda evil bastard.)

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what the piracy numbers are too
Probably disgustingly high. I bet the finale was like at least 10% of the world's internet bandwidth that night

But it sorta did. Drogon and Dany's body's fate is unknown other than it was said they were headed east. Jon and Arya is headed to who knows where. I mean they still left it open enough to continue the story someday if they wanted to and they can go lots of places with it ( Daenerys resurrection, Bran is seceretly the night king, or some kinda evil bastard.)

Leaving breadcrumbs is not having a cliffhanger ending.