• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy but awesome. Some of those I still would want to watch in theaters assuming things were safe by release but having the option is great.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really kill movie theaters, per se, but it probably kills most multiplexes.

Dine-in theaters, art houses, museum exhibition, etc... will still persist.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
It's funny how Warner Bros. always seems to be a deciding factor. I remember when they went Blu-ray exclusive and everyone was calling HD-DVD dead in the water. Now this.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Can someone please explain to me how movie theaters are going to survive another year? Because at this rate...

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Theaters are not going to survive this, especially is Disney pulls the same thing for their streaming service.

Streaming is the future.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Disney it's your move. Let's see what you got next week. lol

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
AT&T unlimited elite plan starting to pay itself off in spades with this announcement

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
god damn this is a huuuuuge swing for Max.

Seems like WB are willing to go nuclear and take a huge hit on box office profits to maximize the Max sub count.

Wonder if The Batman ends up squeezing into this list in 2022.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm talking about, the future is here.

I think theaters will survive, but it'll mostly be small, independent places that cater more toward specialty films, events, that sort of thing. The age of the theater chain is over.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I don't get the math; this is alot of cash 'wasted' to take on Netflix...unless they think theaters are that dead and might as well re-purpose what they have basically gathering dust in a vault.

Like now ill say something like Matrix I NEED to see in a theater...until i realize popping into HBO Max to watch old episodes of The Wire it's sitting right there

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Fuuuuuccck. So long movie theaters. You had a good run.

And don't give me that 'people will still crave the theatre experience' nonsense. Not the majority, they won't.

Time and time again we've seen convenience trump quality.

129638447_10159235999502080_8855454620265942738_n.jpg

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
HBO Max streaming quality is pretty fucking terrible and my TV isn't all that large.

I am with you there, I still prefer to watch on the big screen but I think are willing to compromise. It's way cheaper to watch HBO max on the couch instead of buying tickets for the whole family at a theatre.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But is it LEGAL?

It just doesn't seem fair to the other movie studios.
If they own the distribution channel I don't see why it would be.

I wonder if we'll eventually get a ruling similar to the one back in the day where studio's couldn't own movie theaters anymore, except for streaming platforms.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HBO max continues to be THEE superior platform. The content is outstanding. Theaters are going to have to systematically change the way that they handle or being in customers to even survive if they're not already done

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Would love HBO Max (in 4K HDR) in Canada. Crave is a jokefest.

As for the strategy, it's sound. I for one would (even outside of a pandemic) much prefer to pay to watch movies at home instead of theatres. The experience of a theatre is just gross to me, good screen and audio yeah, but it smells, people are annoying, the chairs usually suck, and if you don't get the perfect seat the whole thing is uncomfortable.

I would be willing to pay a considerable premium to be able to watch films at home day 1 in highest quality.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to be very curious what Disney will be announcing at their event next week. Wouldn't complain if Disney+ were to do something similar.

Please follow this Disney

Disney's new CEO has made a similar plege is a more non-specific manner, ie, he said something about giving customers "choice" about how they want to consume all future Disney movies.

So yeah, Disney will certainly be following, along with Comcast (Universal Pictures, DreamWorks) most likely.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I hope that changes but Sky have basically bought their catalogue, so Sky Atlantic is HBO over here I think more or less. Shame, hope the contract runs out and we can get in on this.
It's probably gonna be like with wonder woman and go to sky

Funny enough cinemas are closed here so basically they're releasing it into thin air and go to sky a month after

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the math; this is alot of cash 'wasted' to take on Netflix...unless they think theaters are that dead and might as well re-purpose what they have basically gathering dust in a vault.

I think HBO Max is the most likely service to rise to Netflix levels, given its content library and existing production pipeline.

They are calling it a "one year plan," but it's clearly a beta test for the future.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a theater purist but I do go to the movies 70-90 times a year. This is a massive blow, and if it kills theater I can't lie to myself, I'll be very upset. But it's good to give people choice.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I hope theaters can come out the other side of this pandemic in one piece, if indeed these streaming deals are temporary.

But all the same, it's looking like it's time to invest in a significant home theater set up.