• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
More in the link.
"It's important because we need to give a voice to those most oppressed in order to make everybody better," Weeks told the audience, many of whom were around her mother's age. "That's women of color, that's disabled people, that's LGBTQ people."

She was about to move on to the most relevant part of her stump speech—how NOW could help do all this—when she was interrupted by a white woman in the audience.

"White women, too!" the woman yelled.

"And then yeah, don't forget the white women," Weeks replied evenly.

"Just the women with the pussies!" another woman called out, in what seemed to be a reference to trans women. In video obtained by The Daily Beast, you can hear an audience member groan.

"It's OK," Weeks said, attempting to press on. "It is important to include all women."

"All women!" the first heckler cried.

"It is important to include all women," Weeks tried. "But if you don't realize the privilege that's been afforded to you because of a difference in color…"

"We recognize it!" the first woman yelled.

Eventually, Weeks was able to get the crowd back under control. But she says the experience made her realize, for the first time, that there were systemic issues in NOW that even she couldn't fix.

"This organization has a problem of racism and ageism and [they] don't know how to deal with it," she told The Daily Beast in an interview.

"I thought when I was coming into the feminist movement I was joining this big sisterhood," she added, "and that was the biggest disappointment in my life."

In interviews with The Daily Beast, nearly a dozen members, employees, and visitors recalled women of color being heckled, silenced, or openly disparaged at NOW meetings and offices. The behavior culminated at the 2017 conference where, witnesses say, members dismissed Fortson-Washington, a black woman, as "angry" and entitled, and accused Weeks of being a "hot-headed Latina." On the last day of the conference, more than a dozen women marched around a conference room to protest racism inside the organization.

But the problem didn't stop there. Internal emails, documents and interviews obtained by the Daily Beast reveal that allegations of racism reached the highest levels of the organization after Weeks and Fortson-Washington's loss. More than a dozen employees at the national headquarters signed onto a letter accusing President Toni Van Pelt of sidelining and disparaging women of color, and the previous vice president has filed a federal racial discrimination suit.

"I am a black woman, I have experienced racism," one former employee told The Daily Beast. "But what happened there… I have never experienced that before."

Shortly after The Daily Beast reached out for comment, Van Pelt sent an email to all NOW Board members, state presidents, staff and PAC members apologizing for any hurt she had caused and committing to five action items to improve racial justice within the organization.

"All Black Lives matter," she wrote. "As a White woman, I'll never understand the experiences of women of color. I challenge myself to address structural racism and recognize that this is a lifelong, ongoing process. I do understand it is critical to acknowledge my own privilege and strive to be a better ally. As the leader of NOW, and a leader within the intersectional feminist movement, I must hold myself and our organization accountable to do more."
www.thedailybeast.com

‘Don’t Forget the White Women!’: Members Say Racism Ran Rampant at NOW

“They don't want to truly engage with young women of color or people of color.”

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
White fragility is a hell of a drug.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Didn't a majority of white women vote for Trump?
17Peoples-superJumbo.jpg

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"White women, too!" the woman yelled.

"And then yeah, don't forget the white women," Weeks replied evenly.

"Just the women with the pussies!" another woman called out, in what seemed to be a reference to trans women. In video obtained by The Daily Beast, you can hear an audience member groan.

"It's OK," Weeks said, attempting to press on. "It is important to include all women."

"All women!" the first heckler cried.

🤦‍♂️

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Just the women with the pussies!"

Who even talks like that, transphobic pieces lf shit.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
It really is quite something when white folk have to make everything about themselves, no matter what the situation is

And that blatant transphobia, at an event like that, is just fucking sad

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't even get why that person brought up trans women, what the hell does that even have to do with anything in this context

its like they stood up to say "Fuck trans ppl btw" out of nowhere

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't even get why that person brought up trans women, what the hell does that even have to do with anything in this context

White feminism and transphobia go hand in hand. It's all about white cis women. They just wanted to make that clear.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
This is very disappointing and another reminder that a lot of organizations that focus on a marginalized group still have a ways to go when accounting for racism from within that group.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You'll always get a TERF in there somewhere. It's pretty unavoidable and any time womens rights are brought up, they feel it's necessary to point out that they only care about "real women" and not men who became women later in life.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There's a very terrible history with white feminism. It basically co-opted a lot of the Civil Rights legislation for the advancement of white women. That's not a bad thing in itself. Sexism is a problem. But it denied systemic racism once you had your token white woman to check a box.

AA prime beneficiaries historically have been white women.

Here are the receipts:

www.vox.com

White women benefit most from affirmative action — and are among its fiercest opponents

The willingness to erase white women from the story of affirmative action is part of the problem.

Moreover, a lot of the early feminists were horrible women. They were classists and racists.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, those same white women who like to harass and call the police on us minorities for daring to exist near them

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
NOW also completely sold out Bill Clinton's alleged sexual assault victim in the 90s. They're fucking hypocrites and the racism and transphobia of the members is appalling.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What even is white feminism? Because a good chunk of Europe is much less racially diverse than the US and white women around here are still subject to massive inequality, abuse, unequal opportunities and wage gaps.
Is "white feminism" a term for something specifically American?

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
What even is white feminism? Because a good chunk of Europe is much less racially diverse than the US and white women around here are still subject to massive inequality, abuse, unequal opportunities and wage gaps.
It's feminism without intersectionality

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Didn't a majority of white women vote for Trump?

White women voted for Trump but at a much lower rate than white men. If they vote for Trump again this year we're fucked probably. It'll probably end up being the crucial swing vote.

Yelling Don't forget white women is basically another version of yelling all lives matter when someone says black lives matter. Is anyone saying white women should be forgotten? Why even bring it up? And the random transphobia thrown out for no reason out of context with the sleech is such privileged bullshit.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Now that's a pretty shitty take as well.
This is one of those terms like "Black Lives Matter" where people get tripped up over a very specific interpretation and think it means something different than it actually does.

"White feminism" refers to a specific school of feminism that either implies that only white women deserve the privilege of being on an equal standing with white men. Basically TERFs but with a far broader umbrella of poor behavior.

Being a white woman myself and one who grew up in a fairly conservative background, I'm often left under the impression that the terminology and discussion associated with mainstream support of intersectionality is needlessly opaque. Browsing forums and doing cursory internet searches are both nearly useless in regards to actually understanding the struggles people go through if you've had the misfortune of growing up in a bubble where said struggles are deliberately obscured instead of put on blast. The most straightforward place I've seen discussion on it yet was a college course I took last semester, and not only is taking a college course not something that should be required to fully understand intersectionality but the actual contents of the course could easily be simplified for the internet at large.

Unfortunately, the existence of bad actors, like the women this thread was created to discuss, has made most people wary of the idea of attempting to actually teach other bubbles about the issues that have informed their stances. So instead the default response is to jump straight to terse responses, which is cathartic but simultaneously teaches nothing while often managing to be confrontational enough to make fish brain angy.

But now, that's not the point of this thread, and even me going into this is kind of an unfortunate derail. The point is that a major feminist organization is full of women who have never had to deal with hardships in their lives being upset that anyone would ever suggest that someone stop paying attention to them for even two seconds. Which is deeply unfortunate, yet somehow I'm also not surprised that feminism as a singular concept detached from intersectionality draws in it's fair share of narcissists.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
The easiest way to spot a white feminist is that they are terfs. The only ones who can really oppress them are white men and since white is the default to them they just turn it to "men." No intersectionality for them, their favorite phrase is minorities and women as if half of minorities are not women, the default woman to them is a white woman.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

I'll give you an example. Since you live in Europe, some White feminists have made a big deal about women from other countries who choose to express their religious faith with head coverings. These women from minority religious groups are excluded from feminism and some women even go as far as to rip the head scarves off. These women don't get back up when they faced racism and racialized abuse for their minority religious beliefs.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Say what you want about Bill Burr but nobody has a better breakdown of white female privilege than him. Absolutely brutal, lol.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
Just think of it as feminism that always talks about male privilege/gender issues and never talks about white privilege/race issues. Which is bullshit in a racist country like the US.

Not just the US, the UK and most places in Europe are just as bad statistically.

Institutional and cultural segregation /prejudice runs deep everywhere.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
With all the Karen memes lately I find it odd that people still seemingly let white women off the hook until something suspect happens such as this, and then it becomes an afterthought again. Racism and intolerance isn't something only perpetuated by white men.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I sure dislike how some white women want to have the cake and eat it too. Yeah, they suffer under white men but most of the time they also gain with it.

Oct 31, 2017
this reminds me that I've literally seen posts here say white women are under the banner of "people of color"

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TERFs and racists always looking for ways to spout their bs. Bunch of JK Rowling assholes.