• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/daredevil-canceled-netflix-marvel-amy-rutberg-1202028447/

Viewers were surprised by the cancellation of "Daredevil" last month; so was the cast. Charlie Cox called it "painful," and now his castmate Amy Rutberg has said that even "people high up at Marvel" were shocked by the move — and that Netflix was solely responsible for the decision.

"My contacts at Marvel were very surprised. Any of the rumors that it was a Marvel decision are wrong, I think it was purely a Netflix decision. That comes from personal conversations with people high up at Marvel. They were surprised," said Rutberg in an Inverse interview.

"We had heard rumors we would start production as early as February 2019," she said. "It's a little unusual to be that far ahead in the planning and cancel the show, which makes me think Netflix was laboring over whether or not to cancel it. My guess was it was not an easy decision."

"Daredevil" was the third Marvel/Netflix series to be canceled in just over a month, following the axing of both "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage." Of the four shows whose heroes teamed up for "Defenders," only "Jessica Jones" remains. Rutberg also confirmed that the contract between Marvel and Netflix prevents any Defenders characters from appearing on other platforms for the time being.

"There is this very real contract with Netflix," she said. "I had heard 18 months, maybe it's two years. I suppose it's possible that Marvel could buy them out, but I have not heard so much as a whisper."

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix...

giphy.gif

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix sees Disney as a competitor now thanks to Disney+, sucks as a consumer who plans to subscribe to both.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was pretty well known. These shows likely weren't cheap to produce, and based on whatever metrics Netflix had, they likely determined the cost wasn't worth it for a property they didn't outright own. Makes sense to me.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see them buying out Netflix for these characters before the contract is up.

They got X-Men and Fantastic Four on the way, and the new streaming service is going to have shows with the actual stars of the movies in them.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Continue to invest in an IP they don't own, building the backbone for something Disney is just going to take and reap the rewards down the road anyways. Probably best to cut ties now and focus on other longer term projects instead of doing Disney's legwork.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was pretty well known. These shows likely weren't cheap to produce, and based on whatever metrics Netflix had, they likely determined the cost wasn't worth it for a property they didn't outright own. Makes sense to me.
Yeah they were basically investing their own money in another company's product. Made more sense during Netflix's transition into producing their own content.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Even if she has contacts at Marvel, Marvel are hardly going to admit to a recently fired actor if they were the organisation that made the decision.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel has the money and the rights to keep these shows going if they so choose, so I don't see how you can completely blame Netflix for their death. Marvel are the ones ultimately responsible. They could have kept making Daredevil and put it on Hulu or Disney+ if they wanted.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't it both their faults? Marvel forcing them to have high episode counts, not letting them do shorter seasons, etc. Netflix of course would choose to cancel it if it wasn't worth it anymore.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible it's not as cut and dry as people want it to be? These are two huge companies I bet they could have come to an agreement to keep the show going but probably couldn't find a mutually beneficial agreement.

Arguing over whose fault it was, for the sole purpose of making one company you like look a little better than another company, seems childish. What does it matter? The end result is the same.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Marvel isn't going to go on record about it, so this is about as close as we're going to get.

Must not follow sports at all, everything is off the record and yet a ton of stuff that's reported by legitimate reporters(like Woj) is true because people want it leaked out for whatever reason. Granted, this is an actress who doesn't need to make a living off of reporting things, but on the other hand if she just flat out lies she risks alienating not one but two of the biggest employers around.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Is this supposed to be a surprise? I'd always assumed the cancellation was down to Netflix as they didn't want to carry on making series for Disney to just swoop in and take them off their hands.

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel has the money and the rights to keep these shows going if they so choose, so I don't see how you can completely blame Netflix for their death. Marvel are the ones ultimately responsible. They could have kept making Daredevil and put it on Hulu or Disney+ if they wanted.

I read somewhere that per the deal Disney can't put these shows anywhere else until 2 years after their cancellation.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Isn't it both their faults? Marvel forcing them to have high episode counts, not letting them do shorter seasons, etc. Netflix of course would choose to cancel it if it wasn't worth it anymore.

Netflix was paying something like a 60% markup on what were already expensive shows.

I'd bet at the end of the day there was no way to restructure this deal from either side to continue to work.

But yeah, Netflix pulled the trigger. That is known.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good Superhero/Fantasy franchises that haven't already been acquired by competing studios? Feel like this might be big programming hole they're leaving open.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this pretty clear? Netflix is cutting anything not directly produced by them like American Vandal.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
It actually states in the article that Netflix and Marvel have a contract that prevents Marvel from doing anything with the characters in Live Action till the contract is up in "18mo - 2years".
So Disney can't just continue the show without first buying out the contracts, but who knows if that's possible or if Netflix would allow that at a reasonable cost.

Disney+/Hulu will have to hope the actors aren't already in new contracts for other shows if they wish to revive the characters with the same actors in 1.5-2yrs time.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
can anyone blame them? i highly doubt disney is making licensing their property very affordable

the deal was a product of its time. disney was building a brand around marvel (did they have star wars by then? or at least force awakens out?) and expanding it, netflix was looking for more original content and big IPs.

cut to today, netflix is greenlighting pretty much anyone with a camera and making it themselves, have successfully built their own brands. and disney is gonna want to build reasons to join their upcoming streaming platform to compete with netflixby leveraging their own original content and building more.

its like they had a really loving relationship and now broke up and its nobody's fault "we just want different things"

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
There was a good article pointing out that with a Marvel service coming and the terms of the deal, chances are the Marvel/Netflix deal wasn't good for either company any longer. Shame. :(

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Disney can't just continue the show without first buying out the contracts, but who knows if that's possible or if Netflix would allow that at a reasonable cost.
Marvel has the money and the ability to get the characters back if they want them, but what's the point of that?

Interest in these characters has already peaked. All the shows are 2-3 seasons deep and aren't likely to be getting a lot of new viewers. The reason Marvel doesn't want them is the same reason Netflix doesn't want them.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't really get what it matters who you ascribe blame to.

The fact of the matter is Marvel and Netflix didn't come to terms and the shows were canned.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was already known?
I don't know how much control Disney even has over the Netflix shows, if any.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
I think it is very logical of Netflix to do this. Why keep pushing a Marvel Series when Disney can pull the licence probably every year and have a hyped Daredevil audience to promote the "all new Daredevil" on Disney+.
They will probably build more and more own IPs, because they can't rely on the big players who will all build their own streaming services down the road.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they had Iron Fist > Defenders > JJ S2 > Cage S2 > Iron Fist S2 ... All missed the mark. That's such a consistent blunder that anyone would have cancelled them all.

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Then why does she have contacts if she works there?

Why is she also saying "she thinks"

You either know or you don't know
She sent a text to someone she knows at Marvel who would likely know about this and they stated that they were also surprised by this move. She doesn't have a direct contact to anyone like this at Netflix so she's making an educated guess at what happened.

What about this is confusing?

And this checks out since it seems like they only want to keep shows that we're developed in house for the most part. This and American Vandal cancellations make more sense if you look at it like this.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Dunno but they're doing an Umbrella academy show which is based on a Dark Horse comic so maybe that's who they got rights with?

There is this...
https://boundingintocomics.com/2018...eal-first-look-at-new-netflix-series-prodigy/

but then I also just saw this
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/8/1...verse-comics-akiva-goldsman-movies-adapations

So Netflix is dumping Marvel (for obvious competitive reasons) and trying to fill that hole with content from Dark Horse, Image and "Extreme Universe" comics.

at least they recognize my need to feed my superhero/comic book fix. Hopefully all of these are quality projects.
Umbrella Academy definitely had my attention, even though I'm not familiar with the source material.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
anecdotally speaking, i stopped watching the Netflix Marvel shows after Season 1 of DD, JJ and Luke Cage. I just couldn't keep up with them anymore and the novelty wore off.

I do wonder if Netflix saw a huge drop with each new season / show released. Like, i can imagine if they saw The Defenders season 1 doing worse than some of the individual shows, that whole 'connected universe' thing wouldn't really pay off and instead of synergies from each invdividual show, each of the shows just added costs to Netflix and was kind of a deterrent to prospective viewers. I can imagine there's people scared off by the thought of a universe that has had like 11 seasons worth of series in just 3 years or so ...
It's kinda the reason i myself stopped watching. Luke Cage having a terrible finale and Iron Fist being garbage kinda spoiled the entire broth.