• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heard Ethan Van Sciver literally burst into tears on hearing this news and then went out and bought 50 more Captain Marvel figures to cut the heads off of.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Shazam makes bank as well! It's a really good movie and deserves success. For anyone that hasn't seen it, I strongly recommend it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that some people are still trying to claim that Disney bought seats for this movie.

Also I saw a comment chain of people discussions how they want Carol to die in Endgame.

What lovely people./s

Congrats to both this movie and Brie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was at California Adventure this past weekend and they have a Captain Marvel meet and greet next to Carol's jet. It was sweet seeing all these little girls with Captain Marvel t-shirts, backpacks, etc. standing in line to see her. My daughter is a moody pre-teen and only wears grey, but even she was excited. She asked "Carol" where Goose was-Carol said that Goose is on a top secret mission right now to get info on a new alien race.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I love that some people are still trying to claim that Disney bought seats for this movie.

Also I saw a comment chain of people discussions how they want Carol to die in Endgame.

What lovely people./s

Congrats to both this movie and Brie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
I love that whole Disney bought seats narrative because it rarely gets used for movies that you could argue actually bought seats. If you wanted to be a nitpicky asshole you could try to argue that movies that do free screenings are "buying seats."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I love that whole Disney bought seats narrative because it rarely gets used for movies that you could argue actually bought seats. If you wanted to be a nitpicky asshole you could try to argue that movies that do free screenings are "buying seats."
I saw a thumbnail for a video on why Disney "protected" Captain Marvel but Dumbo. I was half tempted to listen to the reasoning

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can i say that i'm happy the CM haters got fucked but i also don't think this dull af movie deserves it?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Can i say that i'm happy the CM haters got fucked but i also don't think this dull af movie deserves it?
Sure. Your opinion is just as valid as anybody's on this forum. I completely disagree and think it was one of the better Marvel movies and love that it is doing so well. The tears of the alt-right is just gravy for me.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
29993.jpg

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this last night in a 4DX theater. That was literally like watching a movie while on a rollercoaster. I had a good time. I don't know if I would do it again, but it was worth the try.

As for the movie itself. It's pretty good! Liked it about as much as Captain America: The First Avenger.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
It's amazing to hear. I mean I personally didn't think it would do this well.

The fact it's the first female lead film to make a billion, not to mention compared to WW and BP, Carol made her solo debut without having made no prior appearance and yet managed a billion off the bat.

It truly does deserve it! And while it feels cathartic that those who wanted to see film fail were shown wrong, it's especially so considering Ike Perlmutter didn't want to greenlight this film.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is this still going to be in theaters leading up to Endgame? I am almost caught up on MCU and would to see it before Endgame opening weekend.
Wouldn't be surprised, depending on the theater. My theater was literally showing Black Panther when Infinity War hit. If anything, it gave Black Panther a boost.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would have made 2 billion with a different actress.
#brieisruiningmarvel

Is this the first female-led movie since Alice that made that much money?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, 1997, when the Special Editions came out, which, in conjunction with the announcement that the prequels were going to happen, brought Star Wars back into the spotlight. Before that? They were just movies from when we were kids. There was literally no presence in mainstream pop culture. There weren't even any Star Wars toys on shelves between 1985 and 1995. Unless you were one of the hardcore nerds (like me, frankly) who read the Zahn books or the Dark Empire comics or played the LucasArts games, Star Wars was basically not a thing from about 1988 to 1997. When I got the THX remasters on VHS, my roommates were confused why I was so interested in watching them, their reaction was basically "Oh yeah, I remember those" but not much beyond that.

All I'll say is your recollection is flawed. Heir to the Empire was a New York Times #1 best seller when it came out in 1991, it wasn't only read by hardcore nerds. It definitely kicked off a second wave of Star Wars popularity but it was hardly the case the films were not part of popular culture at the time. I bought these in 1993:

And these were popular when they came out in 1995:

Also, Lucas announced the prequels in 1993, the special editions came out in 1997.

In any case Chewie would have still been a very recognizable name to people during the time CM is set.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere an angry incel is typing: "So Disney bought 1 billion worth of tickets. If you add production that means they lost 1.2 gazillion dollars!1!"

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I was at California Adventure this past weekend and they have a Captain Marvel meet and greet next to Carol's jet. It was sweet seeing all these little girls with Captain Marvel t-shirts, backpacks, etc. standing in line to see her. My daughter is a moody pre-teen and only wears grey, but even she was excited. She asked "Carol" where Goose was-Carol said that Goose is on a top secret mission right now to get info on a new alien race.

Aw, that's adorable. I suppose they can't have a cat there, but that's a great excuse. :)

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I watched it last week and thought it was just okay, not a special Marvel movie whatsoever. Still, a great milestone for them.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think I thought this was gonna hit a billion either. I backed off that though not wanting to be associated with the alt right brigade, but yeah I don't THINK I assumed this one would hit a billion, its super impressive that it has, and I couldn't be happier in the aftermath. Feasting on the Schadenfreude.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Cant find the OT for this, so I'll post it here.

Fury losing his eye to an alien cat was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in a movie.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, 1997, when the Special Editions came out, which, in conjunction with the announcement that the prequels were going to happen, brought Star Wars back into the spotlight. Before that? They were just movies from when we were kids. There was literally no presence in mainstream pop culture. There weren't even any Star Wars toys on shelves between 1985 and 1995. Unless you were one of the hardcore nerds (like me, frankly) who read the Zahn books or the Dark Empire comics or played the LucasArts games, Star Wars was basically not a thing from about 1988 to 1997. When I got the THX remasters on VHS, my roommates were confused why I was so interested in watching them, their reaction was basically "Oh yeah, I remember those" but not much beyond that.

I played the Star Wars games that came out on the SNES in the 90s, and that led me to watching all 3 movies on HBO because HBO still played the movies during the day. I was never a huge Star Wars fan but thought the movies were solid. Star Wars was much more relevant in the 90s than Top Gun. All I remember from Top Gun was a bad NES game where I didn't know how to land the jet or refuel in mid air, and even this might have been late 80s.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

Man, Star Wars was HUGE throughout the 80s and 90s where I grew up. Beyond the movies themselves, it felt like everyone at my school watched Spaceballs regularly. And you couldn't walk across the playground without someone talking about playing Super Star Wars or X-Wing. At lunch, a whole bunch of kids would set up tables to play the CCG. And there was a big event at the local Blockbuster for the THX VHS release. My dad and I waited in line for hours to make sure we got our box set. Throw in frequent references on shows like The Muppet Babies and The Simpsons, and Star Wars was never a non entity.

Oct 29, 2017
I saw the movie three fucking times. Once with friends, another friend then wanted to see it and finally my mum wanted to see it too.

Solid movie, enjoyable and love Brie Larson. I am hoping the sequel is a bit less 'superhero origin' and more cosmic.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was one of the more brilliant things they've done. Setting it up with a single line in Winter Solder five years ago, and then have the payoff no one expected in this movie.
The second Fury got friendly with Goose in the trailer I knew where things were headed. Everyone thinks he loses it in some crazy, cool way but instead an alien "cat" takes. I loved it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We go to California Adventure for a meet and greet with "Captain Marvel" and then not even a week later-the real Brie Larson shows up!

iaktk0307iq21.jpg

ggb9ezbmqhq21.jpg

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The second Fury got friendly with Goose in the trailer I knew where things were headed. Everyone thinks he loses it in some crazy, cool way but instead an alien "cat" takes. I loved it.
Exactly, it was perfect having it go down that way while Fury only pretended he lost it for a cool reason like people thought he did.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it today with the wife. Possibly my favorite MCU origin story film. Probably plays best for 90's kids but great setup overall, film doesn't feel like it's rushing to get anywhere and instead follows a natural course with a good wrap up at the end. Larsen was great, had an understated, drier sense of humor than what is typical of the more bombastic and quippy leads in other solo projects, but again that fits the 90's aesthetic and the character well.