• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
California
6UvGk5B.png

a0AXWP5.png

Paging DJwest please come in!

giphy.gif

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Wonderful, just wonderful news. I expected the movie to do well but I really didn't expect it to be that big of a hit. Kevin Feige is unstoppable.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say deserved or great film but I did enjoy it. As far as origin Marvel movie goes this one is slightly better than Ant-Man for me. My favorite till this day is Iron-Man.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Note that of the seven MCU billion dollar movies, the only solo character debut films on the list are Captain Marvel and Black Panther.

What could it mean?

Eh... it'd be too masturbatory considering Disney owns both.

Plus when they market it, they probably don't want two separate products on the shelf named Chewie. #brandreasons

Also the shift in timeframe to the '90s kind of requires the name change. Star Wars was a complete non-presence in general pop culture by then, while Top Gun would still have been a relevant reference for a pet name. These days it's pretty hard to imagine a world in which Star Wars wasn't a thing except in an "Oh yeah I remember those movies" sense, but in the '90s pre-Special Editions it was definitely the case.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Surely a complete sales failure.

I loved it. (Except the "just a girl" scene, that was cheesy as hell lol. Save that for the credits.)

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Very happy this hit 1 Billion! I wish it would shut up the internet trolls, but that will never happen unfortunately.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm glad to see the movie being as successful as it deserves to be. Congrats to everyone involved.

The fact that this was done with someone who hasn't appeared in the MCU prior (all Carol had was a teaser in Infinity War) is insane.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Movie studios are gonna want these kinds of "boycotts" against their own movies too, lol.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note that of the seven MCU billion dollar movies, the only solo character debut films on the list are Captain Marvel and Black Panther.

What could it mean?

It might, just might, indicate that there's a huge untapped audience for comic book movies that cater to more than just white men and that a more diverse MCU wouldn't just be more inclusive but more lucrative too.

Go figure.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Very impressive, how anyone thought this would flop is beyond me, it's pretty much impossible for a Marvel movie to flop at this point. But to reach over 1 billion? That's evidence that people really liked it.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I have noticed the triggered hot take videos on youtube have died down. Their final breath was the rotten audience score.

Time to regroup and launch all efforts at Episode 9

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the basement virgins boycott failed. Pro-tip fellas: you need to actually have friends in real life to be able to organize an actual boycott. Not "internet friends".

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
It might, just might, indicate that there's a huge untapped audience for comic book movies that cater to more than just white men and that a more diverse MCU wouldn't just be more inclusive but more lucrative too.

Go figure.

That's absolutely a factor, but I think the movie function well as a crowd pleaser. It's got plenty of cheese for sure, but it's way more fun than super bland or lifeless origin movies like Doctor Strange or Ant Man imo. I cannot see how a DS movie could hit a billion with Derrickson as the director or AM with Reed even with 2 massive Avengers mega blockbusters as the best kind of awareness.

The whole "She never smiles" or "Wooden performance" rhetoric really grinds my gears.
Shes a space cop, when shes on the job shes serious, and when shes off the clock shes having fun and wise cracking.
I don't know what people expected.

This criticism is just hyperbolic imo, because Brie showed more charisma than I expected given some of the feedbacks on the movie. It's not a performance up to par for an academy winning actress, but Larson was fine overall and can only do better with more meat around the bone.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Feminism just ruined Christmas! Or something.

Well deserved.

The whole "She never smiles" or "Wooden performance" rhetoric really grinds my gears.
Shes a space cop, when shes on the job shes serious, and when shes off the clock shes having fun and wise cracking.
At least half of it is sexist garbage, and the other half is projection. She's wooden in the trailers, but her performance in the actual movie is warm and likeable.

A queen takes her victory lap.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
You don't see those same idiots saying the same about Dr. Strange, Colson, Steve Rogers, and others who rarely smile while in character. I think it's especially hilarious that the biker guy in CM told her to smile. It's liek they knew the basement dwellers would come after this movie.