• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
France has appealed for foreign governments to stamp out calls by what it calls a "radical minority" for a boycott of French products after Emmanuel Macron's public backing of the Muhammad caricatures.

In a strongly worded statement, France's foreign ministry demanded that calls for a boycott of its products and the "occasionally hateful" protests against the country must end.

"These calls distort the positions defended by France in favour of freedom of conscience, freedom of expression, freedom of religion and the refusal of any call to hatred," it read.

"Consequently, the calls for boycott are pointless and must cease immediately, as must all attacks against our country, instrumentalised by a radical minority."

Muslims have also been angered by Macron's comments earlier this month that Islam is "a religion that is in crisis all over the world today". The comments were made when the French president announced his long-awaited law against "separatism" aimed at combatting radical Islam in France, expected to be presented to the French parliament in December. The influential university-mosque, al-Azhar in Cairo, Egypt, described Macron's statement as "racist".

In Israel, about 200 people gathered in front of the French embassy to condemn Macron. In Gaza, Palestinian protesters burned photos of the French president.

www.theguardian.com

France urges end to boycott of French goods as Macron defends Muhammad cartoons

Calls for boycott of French goods after president’s remarks at tribute to murdered teacher Samuel Paty

Muslim world condemns Macron, France over treatment of Islam

Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif wrote on Twitter: "Muslims are the primary victims of the 'cult of hatred' – empowered by colonial regimes & exported by their own clients. Insulting 1.9B Muslims- & their sanctities – for the abhorrent crimes of such extremists is an opportunistic abuse of freedom of speech. It only fuels extremism."

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry on Monday summoned the French ambassador in Islamabad to complain about Macron's comments.

"The seeds of hate that are being cultivated today will polarise the society and have serious consequences," Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said in a statement.

Qureshi said Pakistan had urged the United Nations "to take notice and action against the hate-based narrative against Islam."

Morocco's foreign ministry also "vigorously" condemned the continued publication of the caricatures, in a statement carried by the official MAP news agency.

Jordan's Islamic Affairs Minister Mohammed al-Khalayleh said that "insulting" prophets was "not an issue of personal freedom but a crime that encourages violence.

European Commission Vice President Margaritis Schinas said on Twitter: "Sorry to disappoint you but this is our way of life as defined in our Treaty. The European Way of Life", as he added a screenshot of a treaty article defining fundamental EU values.

"Actually, this is your way of life now," Turkey's Foreign Minister Fahrettin Altun snapped back, posting on Twitter a link suggesting Frontex, the EU agency tasked with border control, has been complicit in illegally pushing back refugees.

www.aljazeera.com

Muslim world condemns Macron, France over treatment of Islam

Leaders and groups across Muslim world join debate amid protests, while Europe stands by Macron and criticises Turkey.

Last edited:

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Surely Macron's is not a controversial statement to make? I'm not a Muslim (or religious for that matter) but I'm willing to be educated.

Lucky_Seenty

Oct 27, 2017
isnt boycotts a form of freedom of speech. a little hypocritical, if someone doesn't want to buy French good or wants to boycott that's their choice.

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
'Muslim world' means 'countries with blasphemy laws against Islam'. It's not really a surprise these countries react like so.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Erdogan is also calling for boycott.

Turkey is strictly secular nation (still is) and any religious comments to be made by any government official is forbidden. Erdogan's actions should have called for government to collapse but... who am I kidding, he has his own personal army. He's basically untouchable.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
isnt boycotts a form of freedom of speech. a little hypocritical, if someone doesn't want to buy French good or wants to boycott that's their choice.

Freedom of speech for me but not thee.

It should go without saying that Muslim business owners and consumers are under no obligation to buy and sell French products.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Macron loves free speech and expression until its against him and his country. What they really mean is that they should be allowed to shit on muslims with impunity. That islamophobic piece of shit can go fuck himself.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): driveby whataboutism
I hope they also boycott chinese products!

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
image0.gif

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I'm more than fine with calling out Islamophobia when it's due but surely this sort of reaction to a rather unnecessary tragedy is rather odd? Again, if there's anything Islamophobic about Macron's specific comments here please do let me know because it really isn't that apparent to me.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't care about boycotts or whatever, but attitudes like this:
Jordan's Islamic Affairs Minister Mohammed al-Khalayleh said that "insulting" prophets was "not an issue of personal freedom but a crime that encourages violence.
is part of the main issue here. Religious extremists killed a person for fucks sake and people are defending and downplaying it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If Erdogan is attacking your speech, you are likely on the good side. So many countries on the side of "killing people over drawings" so fuck them.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't care about boycotts or whatever, but attitudes like this:

is part of the main issue here. Religious extremists killed a person for fucks sake and people are defending and downplaying it.

yeah theres a lot of tacit victim blaming going on around this whole controversy. meanwhile the majority of the muslim world doesn't say a peep about what china is doing with its education/concentration camps

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
'Muslim world' means 'countries with blasphemy laws against Islam'. It's not really a surprise these countries react like so.
And by extension, this is a conflict between a country that has become aggressively secular - for better or worse depends on your perspective - and countries that are quite the opposite, and where religion and government are completely intertwined.

I also don't really see Macron calling Islam a "religion in crisis" as Islamaphobic per se. He clearly has a problem with radical Muslims, but so do non-radical Muslims. Nobody but the most fringe elements is condoning cutting off a teacher's head for showing some drawings. But those fringe elements are the ones making the news - and they're doing it by committing horrific crimes.

You cannot completely shelve the fact that someone was beheaded for religious reasons, and that their murderer is enjoying tacit or explicit support from several whole nations. I mean, that is a religion in crisis.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah you can fuck off into oblivion. If you're so insecure about a caricature that you try to justify someone getting beheaded for it you and your religion have a problem.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
User banned (5 days): Inflammatory drive-by
I'm against all religions. I think they had done more bad than good for people, and continue to do so.
So yeah, i'm with Macron on this one.

Mintaro

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
User banned (permanent): Trolling a sensitive thread, prior infractions in threads about objectification and police brutality
Looks like I'm buying champagne and cheese tonight

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Yeah not seeing the problem here.

I mean it's better than if Le Pen got elected and Muslims would be banned from France entirely. Man, France dodged a bullet there.

Evaansan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Threadbanned: Hostility
I'm against all religions. I think they had done more bad than good for people, and continue to do so.
So yeah, i'm with Macron on this one.

Of course you're with him you're not the one that has to live in that racist country you islamophobic piece of shit.

Fuck Macron and fuck France and its garbage white people.

From a "French" muslim.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Surely Macron's is not a controversial statement to make? I'm not a Muslim (or religious for that matter) but I'm willing to be educated.

This is just one thing in a longer list of bigger issues France has had. Obviously the killing was wrong but people don't draw Muhammad because they want debate, it's a not so subtle attempt to insult Muslims.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So, on a personal level I don't think what macron said was wrong at all, but I also think I would much rather people peacefully boycott something than turn to violence. People can boycott whatever they want in my view.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
yeah theres a lot of tacit victim blaming going on around this whole controversy. meanwhile the majority of the muslim world doesn't say a peep about what china is doing with its education/concentration camps
Chinese money at work.

thediplomat.com

China Buys Turkey’s Silence on Uyghur Oppression

Turkey has joined the list of majority Muslim countries that have opted for silence in dealing with the one of the most pressing human rights issues of our time.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
What's wrong with boycotting products from a country whose government is very well known for hating people like you?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 month): Islamophobia
the religion aint in crisis, its working as intended

you all saw, i had no choice but to kill him, why would he make me do this to him

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
This is just one thing in a longer list of bigger issues France has had. Obviously the killing was wrong but people don't draw Muhammad because they want debate, it's a not so subtle attempt to insult Muslims.

this is borderline victim blaming tho
people got shot and fricking beheaded over carricatures. it's a very clear-cut matter and priorities should be in order.

"they shouldn't have done that (because it's provocative)" is just not how our society here should function

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Of course you're with him you're not the one that has to live in that racist country you islamophobic piece of shit.

Fuck Macron and fuck France and its garbage white people.

From a "French" muslim.
France - particularly the South - unquestionably has a big racism problem, but it's really reductive to position this specific situation as being primarily about race.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): Suggesting a victim knowingly provoked his own murder
this is borderline victim blaming tho
people got shot and fricking beheaded over carricatures. it's a very clear-cut matter and priorities should be in order.

"they shouldn't have done that (because it's provocative)" is just not how our society here should function
People can not agree with the teachings, but they can at least respect them by not throwing insults.

They know that it's in appropriate, but they do it anyway. It's literally an insult which can lead to extrimism acts.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally an insult which can lead to extrimism acts.
Fuck that victim blaming. Drawings of a person resulting in violence is on the violent people, not on the people drawing. This happened in a classroom where the teacher literally warned the students what he was going to do, asked them to leave if they felt concerned, and still got killed by someone that had nothing to do with it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
You almost sound like your saying it's his fault he was beheaded

I'm not. It was horrible and tragic, but the response to a bigot being murdered shouldn't be treating him like a nice an normal person, especially in a country with a long history of bigotry. Macron knew what he was doing, his statements are a dog whistle.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
People can not agree with the teachings, but they can at least respect them by not throwing insults.

They know that it's in appropriate, but they do it anyway. It's literally an insult which can lead to extrimism acts.

What's with the victim blaming here? How can you justify someone getting murdered because they drew a picture?

Dilly

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not. It was horrible and tragic, but the response to a bigot being murdered shouldn't be treating him like a nice an normal person, especially in a country with a long history of bigotry. Macron knew what he was doing, his statements are a dog whistle.

Claiming not to victim blame, continues to victim blame and smear the victim.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm with Macron on this. Specially after the reactions. It's absolutely victim blaming.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's kinda hypocritical to say this when Muslims in China are in actual concentration camps and you don't bat an eye. That being said France is indeed an islamophobic country or at least its government uses islamophobia to veil (heh) its own ineptitude so this boycott is not without merit.
And to add something about the event that started this entire shit show: the brutal murder of a teacher shouldn't have killed reason with him and give platforms to small power hungry men (looking at you, Darmanin and Blanquer) and dictators.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So who is this bigot you are talking about? The teacher that literally warned the students and got killed by someone that didn't even know him because the dad of a kid that left the class was a violent piece of shit? Who is the person in this that you are defending? and why isn't it the victim but the extremists murderers?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is less about the person themselves but the reason for his murder.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

What garbage... Religious ideas are open for criticism, ridicule and scrutiny. Idolatry is one of those ideas.

Religious dogma is used to oppress and murder worldwide and people attempt to bestow it some sort of immunity from criticism. Fuck off with this victim blaming bullshit.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You do realize the victim notified his students what he was going to do and said that they could leave the room if they believed they were going to be offended?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Erdogan is funded by Chinese government so he's doing best to keep every muslim nation quiet about this. Kind of ironic, Turkey has been a biggest friend of Xinjiang people, even they're sharing the same flag.

This boycott will backfire greatly in Turkey as more than 2 million people are employed by French corporations, including Renault, Peugeot, Carrefour, BNP Paribas, Michelin, Nestlé and Shell. Jeopardizing the income of the millions just for your own faith is a shitty move.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.