• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
A poor liberal is actually just A bootlicker. Why would a poor person in America support shit trade deals that ruin job opportunities in this country?

Not that he's a full on "liberal", but...lets be honest..."Liberal"="Democrat" in America.

So explain why Obama's policies created one of the largest financial comebacks for the United States (we literally saw a 10+ year growth/improvement). Explain why it led to a massive jump in the Economy, a lower/middle class that could actually afford things again, and a huge leap in financial markets. Explain why it led to one of the lowest unemployment ratings ever. (also, you need to actually understand how the "unemployment" statistics/data works)

Now you have a market and economy that has mostly stagnated for nearly 2 years under Trumps changes. Tons of markets, especially manufacturing, are getting into worse debt because Trump's plans aren't working at all, and they have to be bailed out. They're struggling with costs...and even cutting out overtime or firing people. All the local plants here have cut hours or staff. I have two friends who were told that they could no longer get overtime, after being able to do so for nearly 8 YEARS at MAJOR international companies. The stock market has gone nowhere since 2017...it has basically broken EVEN.

Every single government and 3rd part statistic shows that we were on a huge incredible upswing under the Obama administration, and it also now shows that we're stuck in the mud and barely improving (and regressing across the board in many, many categories) under Conservative government. This happens EVERY TIME a conservative/Republican government takes over in the US in recent history.

It's on almost every subject too. Even Republican talking points, like abortion, do better under Democratic/Liberal government. Abortions went up under Bush, dropped massively under Obama, and again appear to have spiked or not dropped much under Trump like they did under Obama or Clinton. So Conservatives even vote to make something they supposedly hate WORSE.

The amount of stupidity involved in not paying attention to reality astounds me. Liberal policies make jobs and the entire country a better a place. Are things perfect, no, but to believe otherwise you have to be completely blind to reality.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gentle titters whilst the world burns.

How am I supposed to be kind to someone who thinks I'm sub-human and should be exterminated? (With regard to "people who have different beliefs" as she puts it, not specifically Bush).

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just frustrating because while I don't agree with shitting over ellen for watching a football game in the same booth as Bush, her response just made the whole thing worse.

How hard is it to say something along the lines of "I vehemently disagree with Bush on many important topics and I find a lot of aspects of his presidency troubling. He is not my friend. But he was another person in the booth I was watching the football game with. I was there to watch football. I decided to be a good person and be cordial and respectful to the people watching with me. I was there to watch football and have a good time. Not to argue about a presidency I disagreed with. "

Done. Move on.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that he's a full on "liberal", but...lets be honest..."Liberal"="Democrat" in America.

So explain why Obama's policies created one of the largest financial comebacks for the United States (we literally saw a 10+ year growth/improvement). Explain why it led to a massive jump in the Economy, a lower/middle class that could actually afford things again, and a huge leap in financial markets. Explain why it led to one of the lowest unemployment ratings ever. (also, you need to actually understand how the "unemployment" statistics/data works)

Now you have a market and economy that has mostly stagnated for nearly 2 years under Trumps changes. Tons of markets, especially manufacturing, are getting into worse debt because Trump's plans aren't working at all, and they have to be bailed out. They're struggling with costs...and even cutting out overtime or firing people. All the local plants here have cut hours or staff. I have two friends who were told that they could no longer get overtime, after being able to do so for nearly 8 YEARS at MAJOR international companies. The stock market has gone nowhere since 2017...it has basically broken EVEN.

Every single government and 3rd part statistic shows that we were on a huge incredible upswing under the Obama administration, and it also now shows that we're stuck in the mud and barely improving (and regressing across the board in many, many categories) under Conservative government. This happens EVERY TIME a conservative/Republican government takes over in the US in recent history.

It's on almost every subject too. Even Republican talking points, like abortion, do better under Democratic/Liberal government. Abortions went up under Bush, dropped massively under Obama, and again appear to have spiked or not dropped much under Trump like they did under Obama or Clinton. So Conservatives even vote to make something they supposedly hate WORSE.

The amount of stupidity involved in not paying attention to reality astounds me. Liberal policies make jobs and the entire country a better a place. Are things perfect, no, but to believe otherwise you have to be completely blind to reality.
The lower and middle class never experienced the economic magic of the obama administration. I won't deny that his bail out saved the economy from completely exploding but if you look at income and wealth for the middle and lower class over time and compare it to the rich it becomes obvious thst the bailout was actually a cash out for the very people the crashed the economy. Poor people weren't bailed out just their bosses

Deleted member 39184

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 28, 2018

Laughable. Things were not affordable under Obama. Maybe closer to affordable than now - but sure as hell not affordable. Why? Because wages have not grown in decades. Obama wasn't out there fighting for $15. He isn't any hero to the working, working poor, or the poor as a whole.

Obama did shit to rally the democratic base when it was unified across class. Which left no competition as the tea party grew. Obama continued to bail out the banks, continued droning civilians and hospitals, continued the surveillance programs and allowed cops to equip themselves with war-grade weaponry. Just like an republican would do. The only difference is the liberals will be cute abouttransferring the wealth and placate the masses with feel good bullshit like equality. Dude was against gay marriage in 2008 and Hillary was until 2013. They leverage these social issues that progressives care about to take the edge of, but won't work any longer. That's because things like marriage equality when income inequality exists. How the fuck can anyone achieve self-realization when the most important resource (money) is being funneled to the top?

The fact you point to the market as an indicator of the fincancial well being of average Americans shows you're as disconnected from the reality of the working class as the mainstream media is.

And to speak to just how weak Obama andthe liberals were - they ALLOWED the republicans to STEAL a Supreme Court pick. Now we are literally one away from a full on fascist state. Hell, they may not even need that one seat to get what they want.

How are you going to act as if the Obama presidency was in a vacuum before Trump came along? Obama kept the status quo which left our democracy in a compromised state. Now we have Cheeto fuck reaping all the benefits.

Liberals are pathetic and weak.They made sure they got theirs, and left the average American to rot.

And to be clear - the republicans have to. However, we know the republicans have zero shame.We have a two party system here in America. The Liberals have done nothing but wag their finger as republicans decimate the country. Why? Because they have the same donors.

Last edited:

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
It's just frustrating because while I don't agree with shitting over ellen for watching a football game in the same booth as Bush, her response just made the whole thing worse.

How hard is it to say something along the lines of "I vehemently disagree with Bush on many important topics and I find a lot of aspects of his presidency troubling. He is not my friend. But he was another person in the booth I was watching the football game with. I was there to watch football. I decided to be a good person and be cordial and respectful to the people watching with me. I was there to watch football and have a good time. Not to argue about a presidency I disagreed with. "

Done. Move on.
But she's actually friends with him and she likes him

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Being kind to everyone is such a phony opinion too. Have some fucking conviction....she's like Fallon in that all they care about is being well liked by everyone that they just come off as fake and bland.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Laughable. Things were not affordable under Obama. Maybe closer to affordable than now - but sure as hell not affordable. Why? Because wages have not grown in decades. Obama wasn't out there fighting for $15. He isn't any hero to the working, working poor, or the poor as a whole.

Obama did shit to rally the democratic base when it was unified across class. Which left no competition as the tea party grew. Obama continued to bail out the banks, continued droning civilians and hospitals, continued the surveillance programs and allowed cops to equip themselves with war-grade weaponry. Just like an republican would do. The only difference is the liberals will be cute abouttransferring the wealth and placate the masses with feel good bullshit like equality. Dude was against gay marriage in 2008 and Hillary was until 2013. They leverage these social issues that progressives care about to take the edge of, but won't work any longer. That's because things like marriage equality when income inequality exists. How the fuck can anyone achieve self-realization when the most important resource (money) is being funneled to the top?

The fact you point to the market as an indicator of the fincancial well being of average Americans shows you're as disconnected from the reality of the working class as the mainstream media is.

And to speak to just how weak Obama andthe liberals were - they ALLOWED the republicans to STEAL a Supreme Court pick. Now we are literally one away from a full on fascist state. Hell, they may not even need that one seat to get what they want.

How are you going to act as if the Obama presidency was in a vacuum before Trump came along? Obama kept the status quo which left our democracy in a compromised state. Now we have Cheeto fuck reaping all the benefits.

Liberals are pathetic and weak.They made sure they got theirs, and left the average American to rot.

I definitely don't disagree with everything you said, but the recovery from the absolute crash that Bush dragged everyone screaming into (among other problems) was certainly, at minimum, better than a "band-aid" under Obama. Millions went from no health-care to being able to afford it, millions bought houses and found jobs that didn't have them before, etc.

Even I personally went from not being able to afford healthcare and living in a trailer after the '08 crash (lost nearly everything I owned from 2007-2008), to having great, cheap, healthcare for my whole family, a 2 story house with a 2 car garage, new vehicles I never thought I could afford, and a better possible future for my kids.

On average, people were much better off across the board (than under Bush). Humanity as a whole was better off with Democrats/Liberals in charge (at that point in time).

Now the entire downfall...that's a completely different conversation. Like I said, I don't disagree with people allowing/enabling something horrible to happen...it just sounded like you were dismissing the good that did happen as if it didn't happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Right? This is the shit you'd think would be consistent. Yet more and more people calling themselves progressive and allies to the marginalized reveal how much more they value the illusion of "balance" and "decorum" over conflict to defend what they say they believe.

I know my share of liberals who quite literally have more positive views of W than of leftists whose crime is being overly critical of the Democratic Party.

like I said a few pages ago, they've completely substituted an aesthetic vision of politics for any moral convictions

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Obama was a careful, thoughtful steward of the accepted order; he said and did all the right things expected of a technocratic neoliberal who wants to ensure business as usual and not upset the markets.

Just because that is better than Trump's reckless, vendetta-driven, zero-sum Boomerism doesn't make it good, let alone ideal.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
What makes this even worse is that Ellen is from New Orleans. Does she even remember what Bush did when her hometown was flooded during Hurricane Katrina?

Deleted member 39184

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
Obama was a careful, thoughtful steward of the accepted order; he said and did all the right things expected of a technocratic neoliberal who wants to ensure business as usual and not upset the markets.

Just because that is better than Trump's reckless, vendetta-driven, zero-sum Boomerism doesn't make it good, let alone ideal.

Ditto.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ellen can be friends with whoever she wants I guess, but it seems utterly bizarre to me to advocate for universal kindness while demonstrating it with a relationship with someone who wanted to fundamentally alter the foundation of the country to rob her and her wife of their right to be married at all. That's not like a difference of opinion on fucking tax policy; that's your life!

And to speak to just how weak Obama andthe liberals were - they ALLOWED the republicans to STEAL a Supreme Court pick

Obama's biggest mistake was not realizing there's a button under the Resolute Desk that, when pressed, suddenly forces Mitch McConnell to take up whoever Obama sends to the Senate for confirmation. But instead he just allowed McConnell to steal that SCOTUS seat, the fool!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This artist is getting a lot of flak for this piece, what do you think? Can no one be compared to Hitler unless they caused a million people to die?

I think it's quite fair to make this comparison. None of the current administration's descent into overt fascism would have been possible if the Bush administration hadn't set that ball in motion quickly.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
It was dumb for Ellen to explain her behavior the way she did, I guess time, and out of sight out mind heals wounds for some if there were any.

o.t. Katsu, you need to rethink your strategy, shitting on the opposition is precisely why the conservatives keep winning, its people like you that allow these fucks to win elections. Principles matter sure, but they are worth less than shit when you enable people that are guaranteed to roll back any progressive gains to be elected into office. You are now on my ignore, as you are not here to have a conversation, you are here to spout your bullshit.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Being kind to everyone is such a phony opinion too. Have some fucking conviction....she's like Fallon in that all they care about is being well liked by everyone that they just come off as fake and bland.
That's my thoughts on Ellen as well. It's related to their privileges as well. They are rich and famous, and no matter what these politicians do, it will never impact them. In fact, Trump Tax plan probably benefited Ellen a lot.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Drive by; thread and community whining
I knew as soon as I saw people sharing the video on Facebook that people here on Era would be falling over each other to be the most angered. The fact that she even had to explain a picture of her sitting next to him is ridiculous.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
o.t. Katsu, you need to rethink your strategy, shitting on the opposition is precisely why the conservatives keep winning, its people like you that allow these fucks to win elections. Principles matter sure, but they are worth less than shit when you enable people that are guaranteed to roll back any progressive gains to be elected into office. You are now on my ignore, as you are not here to have a conversation, you are here to spout your bullshit.

Conservatives and right-wing or centrist sympathizers don't suddenly become progressive/leftist because you get nicer to them.
The whole point of this thread is that this notion is not borne out at all by recent history, and doing so does nothing but dismissing harm caused by the people in power they are allegiant to.

If "they go low, we go high" is to be an aspirational message, then it has to be focused on reducing harm experienced by the vulnerable, and finding ways to hold people causing that harm accountable that go beyond basic vengeance, trying to find ways to make that harm as difficult to carry out as possible. Not on shaking hands with the guys who are murdering others.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I knew as soon as I saw people sharing the video on Facebook that people here on Era would be falling over each other to be the most angered. The fact that she even had to explain a picture of her sitting next to him is ridiculous.
She would not be angry when someone like Ellen says that a homophobic war criminal is her friend.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because downplaying a war criminals actions is such a minor thing. Have you hugged George Zimmerman lately? I heard some people were mean to him yesterday.

Ice cream for everyone! Double for everyone whose deathtoll is in the seven digits! How dare people not forget the death and destruction that has affected dozens upon dozens of millions of people. Just another day at Outrageville, amirite?!?!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Her show is pure garbage anyway.

Yep. I've tried watching it and it is painful.

Again, that iPhone 11 gag was intentional and almost certainly paid for. These shows select for a certain level of capitalist indoctrination on the part of their hosts, specifically because they are 30 minute long feel-good infomercials for other peoples' shows and music.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Damn Era...always getting mad at people for doubling down on something stupid they did with George W. Bush.

Deleted member 39184

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
Ellen can be friends with whoever she wants I guess, but it seems utterly bizarre to me to advocate for universal kindness while demonstrating it with a relationship with someone who wanted to fundamentally alter the foundation of the country to rob her and her wife of their right to be married at all. That's not like a difference of opinion on fucking tax policy; that's your life!

Obama's biggest mistake was not realizing there's a button under the Resolute Desk that, when pressed, suddenly forces Mitch McConnell to take up whoever Obama sends to the Senate for confirmation. But instead he just allowed McConnell to steal that SCOTUS seat, the fool!

Obviously a joke, but he would have something near that if he had been in the bully pulpit during his time before. He could have had hundreds of thousands of American citizens unite and mobilize to bring shit to a halt. I mean - it was UNCONSTITUTIONAL and he just rolled.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The audience laughing and cheering is just disgusting. He is directly responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. Shocking how brown people just dont even register.
Well in fairness to the audience, there probably is a huge applause sign that directs them. Or you know, as an audience member your kind of expected to react in specific ways.

Deleted member 39184

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
It was dumb for Ellen to explain her behavior the way she did, I guess time, and out of sight out mind heals wounds for some if there were any.

That's fucking rich. A liberal talking point from 2016. Liberals have had plenty of chances to get it right and they time and time again serve the mighty dollar.

I know you have now covered your ears and buried you head deeper into the sand, so I'll leave it at that.🥾 👅

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Why shouldn't people be angry exactly? What has George Bush done that qualifies him specifically to be treated kindly by regular citizens? What growth has he gone through to prove he doesn't still stump for the same regressive policies and politicians that harmed and continue to harm LGBTQ+ people just like Ellen?

I'd rather people be angry than encourage the mass normalization of nightmarish politicians like Bush. That's at least honest and the legitimate outcome of the reality of the dude and his backwards presidency.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Obviously a joke, but he would have something near that if he had been in the bully pulpit during his time before. He could have had hundreds of thousands of American citizens unite and mobilize to bring shit to a halt. I mean - it was UNCONSTITUTIONAL and he just rolled.
Tbh I'm not even sure if it was unconstitutional. The Republicans are just the only party actually playing to win.

Not that Obama shouldn't have used the bully pulpit for once in his joke of a presidency, though. I mentally checked out when he let the ACA get watered down as much as he did.