• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok sorry if this is too spicy but daaaaamn

72480318_10156243486610563_6085307220583514112_n.jpg

giphy.gif

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

I don't really see what's wrong with either of these things. He has empathy for the relatives of a tragedy forgiving those who wronged him and his family as part of his grieving process, and he was in a bad action movie and somehow that makes him a problematic shithead?

The dude is a ridiculously outspoken liberal (just look at his twitter profile it's mostly retweets of anti-trump stories and messages to vote blue), and fights against right wingers who try to use the image of Captain America in their messaging. I don't really see how you can ask for someone in his position to do more, but if we want to push away strong public figure allies I guess doing this level of litmus testing is a great way to start.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Honestly, this should be vilified as much as if she said she was friends with Anders Brevik or Ted Bundy. More so, actually.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see what's wrong with either of these things. He has empathy for the relatives of a tragedy forgiving those who wronged him and his family as part of his grieving process, and he was in a bad action movie and somehow that makes him a problematic shithead?

The dude is a ridiculously outspoken liberal (just look at his twitter profile it's mostly retweets of anti-trump stories and messages to vote blue), and fights against right wingers who try to use the image of Captain America in their messaging. I don't really see how you can ask for someone in his position to do more, but if we want to push away strong public figure allies I guess doing this level of litmus testing is a great way to start.
Chris Evans doesn't have the right to call this beautiful any more so than men should have a say on legislating a woman's body. It's fucking gross. And no I wouldn't necesarily consider Liberals like him an ally when it comes to race. Any race conscientious White person would have taken a backseat on praising the act or at least acknowledge the myriad of racial problems along with their praise.

Black Americans are in pain and divided on a lot of things that went down after the verdict, White media and people will continue to ignore our pain and celebrate undeserved forgiveness. She will be out in 5 years and the media will have Hug Part 2 TV Specials all over the place.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Chris Evans doesn't have the right to call this beautiful any more so than men should have a say on legislating a woman's body. It's fucking gross. And no I wouldn't necesarily consider Liberals like him an ally when it comes to race. Any race conscientious White person would have taken a backseat on praising the act or at least acknowledge the myriad of racial problems along with their praise.

Black Americans are in pain and divided on a lot of things that went down after the verdict, White media and people will continue to ignore our pain and celebrate undeserved forgiveness. She will be out in 5 years and the media will have Hug Part 2 TV Specials all over the place.
A lot of liberals are racially "colorblind" and when they say "I don't see race" they often are sincere, as bullshit as the phrase sounds. And this is a problem (even if superficially it sounds utopian) because it creates gaps in understanding when racial context is overlooked--for example, most white liberals aren't going to see that hug and consider the racial complexities, and only see one human forgiving another human.

That doesn't make them bad people or bad allies though.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

Making a poor statement without the proper cultural context doesn't make them a shithead forever or invalidate his positive influence. I would agree he is not a strong positive advocate for racial problems in America, but I also don't think he's trying to make that the primary focus of the political messaging he drives. Still I don't think jumping on someone whose heart is clearly in the right place is the right way to push for support.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
I completely agree with her. You can still be friendly to someone who doesn't agree with every single political belief as you. People are different and value different things. I am friends with plenty of people that don't think exactly as me. In fact I think it's healthy to be friends with differing options on many aspects of life.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I completely agree with her. You can still be friendly to someone who doesn't agree with every single political belief as you. People are different and value different things. I am friends with plenty of people that don't think exactly as me. In fact I think it's healthy to be friends with differing options on many aspects of life.
You can still be friends with a mass murderer? A person who tried to deny your rights? Like this isnt a simple difference of opinions.

Being a war criminal isn't a difference in a opinion.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan

Are you friends with anyone responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of people?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Making a poor statement without the proper cultural context doesn't make them a shithead forever or invalidate his positive influence. I would agree he is not a strong positive advocate for racial problems in America, but I also don't think he's trying to make that the primary focus of the political messaging he drives. Still I don't think jumping on someone whose heart is clearly in the right place is the right way to push for support.

It's not jumping on someone to point out that, maybe, if you don't have proper cultural context, maybe sit this one out. By the time Chris made that statement on Twitter, the black outrage over the situation was unavoidable (ESPECIALLY on Twitter). Chris was definitely speaking from a place of unearned authority. And this goes back to the central problem of people, even allies, not giving black culture and black grievance the proper care and respect it deserves.

We didn't need Chris Evans to say anything, and clearly, he wasn't equipped. Same goes for Ellen. This is the second time this year she's stepped on it by speaking on things she should have just stfu about. Be quiet and ignorant. Don't be loud and ignorant.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if any employee at the show tried to explain to her during rehearsal or something. Her addressing it on the show made things worse lol. I think two celebs have jumped to her defense at least. I'm assuming Ellen was recession proof too, probably didn't even know it happened.
A lot of liberals are racially "colorblind" and when they say "I don't see race" they often are sincere, as bullshit as the phrase sounds. And this is a problem (even if superficially it sounds utopian) because it creates gaps in understanding when racial context is overlooked--for example, most white liberals aren't going to see that hug and consider the racial complexities, and only see one human forgiving another human.

That doesn't make them bad people or bad allies though.
I understand. It definitely doesn't make Liberals bad people. I'm just not so crazy about passing around the word "allies" at this point in time (nor do I give myself that title when advocating for others). There's just a terrible level of understanding across the country when it comes to this stuff, it can be frustrating when you're this outnumbered and have no chance at guiding the national narrative. I hope he can at least recognize why people took umbrage.
Respectfully, you're off the deep end with this one.
I probably am with the comparison. Sorry it's just been a frustrating news week! My point was, it's a standing issue. He and so many others who aren't Black should have chilled out, out of respect for us in general since we were all affected by this case indirectly. I'm not religious at all, I'm not mad at Brandt and just found the circumstances sad as hell.

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
It's not jumping on someone to point out that, maybe, if you don't have proper cultural context, maybe sit this one out. By the time Chris made that statement on Twitter, the black outrage over the situation was unavoidable (ESPECIALLY on Twitter). Chris was definitely speaking from a place of unearned authority. And this goes back to the central problem of people, even allies, not giving black culture and black grievance the proper care and respect it deserves.

We didn't need Chris Evans to say anything, and clearly, he wasn't equipped. Same goes for Ellen. This is the second time this year she's stepped on it by speaking on things she should have just stfu about. Be quiet and ignorant. Don't be loud and ignorant.

Yeah I don't disagree that it was a dumb statement, but my original post was in response to a guy who called him a problematic shithead. Tone deaf in one instance is a far cry from that.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
No, they are right.The term liberal implies a person who believes anyone with enough money should be free the do whatever the fuck they want.

The rest of us (working, working poor, poor) fall into one of two categories: bootlickers or progressives.

No, they are not right. Stop giving the right wing credibility over liberals, please.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Your friend George W. Bush sure as fuck isn't kind to everyone, Ellen. He is responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians. How can you call someone like that kind? He's also against LGBTQ+ rights. You yourself are a lesbian. How dare you preach about such fundamental differences in morality as opinions equivalent to wearing fur?

Everyone has been saying she's fake for so fucking long and I'd gone to bat for her before but after this, no, everyone was always right and I was a fool for thinking otherwise.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
We have reached an era where telling people to be kind to each other is considered terrible, spat on, vilified, and turned into something horrible. Let that sink in for a moment.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I completely agree with her. You can still be friendly to someone who doesn't agree with every single political belief as you.
Torture and murder aren't political beliefs.
We have reached an era where telling people to be kind to each other is considered terrible, spat on, vilified, and turned into something horrible. Let that sink in for a moment.
You know, if minorities would just hug nazis, the world would be a better place. They are only racist because they don't get enough hugs and nobody buys them an ice cream at the big game when they forget their wallet.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017

Are we talking about the same tweet here? Did he go on a separate rant about this, or was it just the tweet where he said "this is great"?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Are we talking about the same tweet here? Did he go on a separate rant about this, or was it just the tweet where he said "this is great"?
This is great.

He didn't need to go on a rant. By the time he tweeted that, every mention of this story was filled with black outrage. When you see that black people are having a contentious dialogue over this ruling and the forgiveness society always expects black people to have in spades for racist white women, nobody needs to know that you think this is one of the most beautiful things you ever saw.

Like, Black people jumped on Chris Evans over that for a reason.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
This is great.

He didn't need to go on a rant. By the time he tweeted that, every mention of this story was filled with black outrage. When you see that black people are having a contentious dialogue over this ruling and the forgiveness society always expects black people to have in spades for racist white women, nobody needs to know that you think this is one of the most beautiful things you ever saw.

Like, Black people jumped on Chris Evans over that for a reason.
Hopefully he learned from it, but this feels like something easily forgivable, especially for someone who's probably very empathetic to why this was a problem.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
This is not new. In fact Americans are being a lot nicer than the people of France, Germany and Norway were to the quislings after the war.

A little over a year ago, I wrote an article for this publication called, "The Liberal Rehabilitation of George W. Bush Is Complete," and so it's my regrettable duty to inform Ellen DeGeneres that her palling around with George W. Bush at a Dallas Cowboys game Sunday—and her subsequent sanctimonious defense of such as a gesture of benevolent friendship meant to heal our fractured, angry nation—is too late. Michelle Obama's Werther's Original has melted away, and there's nothing left but dry mouths and hacks.

It would be easy to get angry at Ellen's hollow gesture of comity, the post-relevant liberal trailblazer sharing her nachos with America's most prominent living homophobe, warmonger and torturer, the man who presided over what remains the greatest orgy of murderous violence in this not-as-young-as-it-used-to-be century, the heckuva-job glad-hander who sleepwalked through the deaths of perhaps 1,800 people—many of them, horrifically, by drowning—in one of the most terrible natural disasters in American history, a virulent racist who defeated another sainted American cretin, John McCain, in a South Carolina primary by accusing him of miscegenation.

But what is American public life, and especially American political liberalism, if not a perpetual Operation Paperclip—the post-war intelligence operation to smuggle useful Nazis into America so they could build us weapons against the next, bigger threat? The periods of moral convalescence vary, but the next looming national catastrophe always appears on the horizon, and the former persona non grata, who has bided his or her time by doing something respectable like sucking salaries out of think tanks or semi-retiring in laconic politeness to a family compound, slink back at the first sign the new vulgarities are even more outré and intolerable than his or her own vulgar outrages.

People will tell you—in the case of Ellen and George—that it is primarily an element of ruling class solidarity, that the millionaires and billionaires will always have more in common with each other than with you. There is certainly some truth there, but how then to explain the you-go-girl cheering of so many fans of Michelle Obama, or Ellen? It cannot be simply a matter of that old American pathology, personally misidentifying with people vastly richer than oneself through a form of aspirational Stockholm syndrome.

Nor is it a symptom of America's evangelical morality, with its fundamental belief in the power and ubiquity of personal redemption. We all know that there is no one meaner and more unforgiving than someone who believes they've been forgiven for their trespasses and redeemed for their sins, including the ones they haven't gotten around to committing just yet.

But the more fundamental problem is that Americans are too nice. That may seem like a paradox, since we are a country that blithely bombs the world and then weeps with self-pity and affronted dignity when the little people we just stomped on fail to forgive us for tearing out their fingernails. In fact, our niceness is itself a symptom of the moral obliviousness that permits us to enact atrocities in the first place. Niceness is not friendliness, not hospitality, not charity and not goodness. Niceness is the blank grin on the face of the psychopath: it is the public enactment of all the forms of love and kindness without the troublesome burden of loving anyone or treating people with kindness.

This is what an Ellen DeGeneres is really getting at when she brags about being friends with those who have "different beliefs." It is not a matter of actual emotional attachment to any system of values, and it's certainly not a matter of transcending minor political squabbles to form some approximation of a community. We are all friends with people who have different beliefs. It is quite literally nothing to brag about. For all the now-clichéd talk of America sorting itself ever more by affect and affinity group, pretty much every social person has friends with beliefs that differ—in ways large and small—radically from their own.

Rather, she is saying that it is more personally and professionally convenient just to be nice to whatever person happens to be in the same grandstand for the same spectacle of large men grievously injuring each other. It is not that there are disparate values to be bridged in order to form a diverse and tolerant society. Instead, it is hankering after the ease of a society in which there is no necessity to form a core of values beyond the practical calculation of personal and social advantage.

In 2003, not long after George W. Bush declared "major combat operations" to be over in Iraq, American soldiers kidnapped and detained an Iraqi woman not much older than Ellen DeGeneres. They took her from Samarra to Tikrit, where they forced her to stir human shit, which they set on fire with lighter fluid. When she told them she could stir no longer, a "sergeant came up to [her] and whispered in [her] ear, 'If you don't, I will tell one of the soldiers to fuck you.'"
Well, that is indeed a regrettable episode, but I'm sure everyone learned a valuable lesson, and it is certainly not—16 years later—a reason to be rude to the guy responsible.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
If told myself back in 2004 that liberals would rewrite GWB into a goofy uncle with silly opinions I wouldn't believe it.

2004 is when St. Reagan died and liberals were waxing his balls then, so not much of a stretch that the same would happen to Dubya's fool ass.

And it's mostly the same group leading the charge - wealthy boomers who always dream to the "good ol days", which constantly changes because the Repubs have been driving off the insane cliff for the past 40 years and shifting the overton window to fascism.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So how many mass murderers of Muslims are you friends with? Just a difference in opinion. 🤷‍♂️

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
And by everyone, I mean my lovable bourgeoisie compeers who moonlight as war criminals. Buy my merch!

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

"Doesn't agree with every single political belief" and "differing opinions" is such a massive understatement for someone that directly caused the death and sufferings of millions of people.

I mean holy shit, I don't think "massive" it's not even the right word, it's more of a like, a solar system level of understatement.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
2004 is when St. Reagan died and liberals were waxing his balls then, so not much of a stretch that the same would happen to Dubya's fool ass.

And it's mostly the same group leading the charge - wealthy boomers who always dream to the "good ol days", which constantly changes because the Repubs have been driving off the insane cliff for the past 40 years and shifting the overton window to fascism.

Who did this? Liberals absolutely loathe Reagan.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Been having good hugging-&-palling-it-out-even-though-we-have-our-disagreements sessions w/George ZImmerman, Daniel Pantaleo, Patrick Crusius and co lately? They all just need a hug & a pal, right?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

We have reached an era where mass-murderers and war-profiteers should be given hugs and kisses all in the name of "civility"

Let that sink in for a moment.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I don't get the shock or surprise about Ellen being friendly with bush. When have we as Americans disowned or banished our leaders for their terrible deeds? Hillary bragged about Kissinger, Joe bragged about working with segregationist and people have already posted pictures of the cozy Bush and Obama relationship. I just don't believe that most Americans are comfortable viewing ourselves as the bad guy in the story. Many people disagree with various governmental decisions like starting the Iraq war or raining drones strikes on people but that doesn't mean they view those actions as war crimes. I think most of us sleep a lot better when we only think of those as bad decisions or lapses of judgment.
Ellen has the misfortune of being a talking head with a camera in her face forced to play out our collective delusion in for the world to see.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah but this isn't a case of being kind to someone who swore at you because they might be having a bad day. This is someone who has done some really bad things. There's a line and I guess for Ellen, George Bush hasn't yet crossed that line which is surprising.