• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I get that, but why would someone then go defend the PRC solely because they are Asian-American? Is the CCP the guardian of all Asians worldwide? I don't understand what point you or the other poster are trying to make.
I'm not defending the CCP. I'm just calling out the prejudice towards them since they because an economic threat. I have been hearing a lot of talk about all stuff from China is crap, and if its good it was stolen, if its better than our stuff it was funded by the Chinese Gov. This type of rhetoric is a repeat of how we treated the Japanese until we found out they were not an economic threat. The rhetoric will spew out and become Truths in the mind of millions of Americans and it will affect all Asians no matter where you're from. Look at the middle-east rhetoric that made middle-eastern fall under the terrorist label, and so on...

There's a reason when there are school shootings, and the killer is white, you never hear the media label them terrorist because it will become truths in peoples mind.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry. Maybe my mind is not seeing it. I can only tell you what I think.
I am talking about the results of the spying. And what came out of it. Are we talking about the abuses that came from the spying? Or are we talking about something else?
Because in my mind spying in the deepest levels is something that is as much hidden in a democratic government as with a dictatorship.

We're talking about the consequences of spying and the ability for anyone impacted by it to do anything about it. There's no pathway for people in China. None.

The consequences are obviously more dire: again there are hundreds of thousands of people in camps. Those people can't do anything about it.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
We're talking about the consequences of spying and the ability for anyone impacted by it to do anything about it. There's no pathway for people in China. None.

The consequences are obviously more dire: again there are hundreds of thousands of people in camps. Those people can't do anything about it.
Yes, I agree with that. And it is horrible. But how do you know what the consequences of spying from the US have had besides what came out?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I was responding to a post speaking generally about electronics from China. Most are not designed there and components are sourced all over so Foxconn can just move manufacturing out

Huawei phones are not popular in the west

That is factually wrong, they are the second largest manufacturer in Europe behind Samsung and ahead of Apple.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was responding to a post speaking generally about electronics from China. Most are not designed there and components are sourced all over so Foxconn can just move manufacturing out

Huawei phones are not popular in the west
Uhm, no, they cannot. The world phone supply chain relies on Chinese companies, like it or not.

And Huawei had almost 20% of the European market share in 2019Q1, and more than 20% in 2018Q4 so, sure, very impopular phones, nobody buys them.

You're going to need to provide receipts for an overly broad claim like that. That's like an American claiming "Every European seems to be against Muslim immigration" because they saw some shit story on Fox News that made the claim.
I guess I should be glad somebody proves me wrong...

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Uhm, no, they cannot. The world phone supply chain relies on Chinese companies, like it or not.

I guess I should be glad somebody proves me wrong...

Again the post I was responding to is about electronics.

The supply chains are interconnected. I could also point out the global.supply chain relies on Taiwanese American and Korean companies are be right. You jumped into a discussion with the wrong idea

And Foxconn is indeed increasingly moving assembly out of China. It's not theoretical

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When have i defended the concentration camps?

Gee, I wonder?

But why are we worried about how another country under a different type of government is running their country?

Have you asked a huge majority of Chinese citizens how they feel about living in China?

At this point, Americans do not have the right to be the moral high ground

Apparently you believe we can't criticize their human rights abuses because we shouldn't worry about how another government runs their country, that the average Chinese citizen is okay with it, and because the US has done bad stuff too.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Gee, I wonder?

Apparently you believe we can't criticize their human rights abuses because we shouldn't worry about how another government runs their country, that the average Chinese citizen is okay with it, and because the US has done bad stuff too.
This is classic whataboutism. Watch him try and change the topic, ignore your post or reply with a wall of text nitpicking over a small point to get the heat off

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you see it now? And you never talk about the spying of foreigners. Do you know what the results of that are/were?

Yes we see it now.

I know the results of foreign spying is somewhere between nothing and hundreds of thousands of people in camps, and that's just one Chinese example. Recent changes to the NSAs abilities (again, we have laws and can see what they're allowed to normally do) modified what is collected with regard to citizens.

Is there a specific outcome of foreign spying conducted by the US you'd like to cite?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Again the post I was responding to is about electronics.

The supply chains are interconnected. I could also point out the global.supply chain relies on Taiwanese American and Korean companies are be right. You jumped into a discussion with the wrong idea

And Foxconn is indeed increasingly moving assembly out of China. It's not theoretical
The world supply chain relies on Chinese companies. Disrupting the world supply chain... Fucks with the economies of the whole world. I'd also be angry if Trump did the same with Taiwanese, or Indian, or Korean companies. He just happens to be fucking with the Chinese ones.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Let's put it this way: America gets a pass from counter-criticism once it rejects Republicans and elects someone like AOC as president. Until then, all this talk is bullshit and just another vehicle to further cynical US geopolitical interest with zero intention of helping any oppressed people anywhere.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The world supply chain relies on Chinese companies. Disrupting the world supply chain... Fucks with the economies of the whole world. I'd also be angry if Trump did the same with Taiwanese, or Indian, or Korean companies. He just happens to be fucking with the Chinese ones.
And China relies on rtw in their supply chain. Trying building a Switch w/out the Tegra.processors from TSMC or memroy from Samsung or Hynix

On balance it's possible to move.assembly out of China because it's already being done.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but why would someone then go defend the PRC solely because they are Asian-American? Is the CCP the guardian of all Asians worldwide? I don't understand what point you or the other poster are trying to make.
Asians in America died because of the same types of fearmongering that's being promoted in this and other China related threads. It was the same shit 150 years ago when Chinese laborers came over and again when the Japanese started becoming an economic and manufacturing power, and back full circle to China starting about 10 years ago because of it's emergent economy and how it would overtake the US in that area.

Saying that Japanese shit is cool today as if it were inevitable is completely ignorant of how much it took to get there. Samsung is another bad example of his because it was considered a garbage budget manufacturer upto a little more than 10 years ago.

It has less to do with China and more to do with the propaganda having a root in racism and xenophobia. It's not like racism against Asians ever went away and this is the form it generally takes at this scale.

Once you juxtapose that on Trump's trade war, it's hard not to be cynical of the whole thing and it should merit more than a "Fuck China" or how there wasn't enough colonialism to turn China into an acquiescent vassal state(I'm paraphrasing that one).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I agree with that. And it is horrible. But how do you know what the consequences of spying from the US have had besides what came out?

Bliman, you started in this thread by saying, "How do you know that China is spying more than the US, what is your proof?" I gave you like ~10 sources, all of which are well known and easily discoverable by you, that go into depth about the vastness of China's domestic spying program, and some of which compare it specifically to spying programs in other countries including America.

Your response was:

"I'm not going to read those because they don't answer my question." (which... they did...)

And then you shifted to, "I want to hear from more Chinese people," which you won't get an answer from because most people living in China either don't know about the vastness of the government spying program because there is no free press in China, OR they know about it and they don't care, OR they know about it and they're so scared about the consequences of talking about it because THEY KNOW talking critically about the government on the internet has consequences for them and their families.

And then, when presented with recent stories about China's vast and growing concentration camp system which is fed prisoners by the spying program -- all of whom have done nothing wrong -- you've shifted to, "Well how do you know that the results of the US' spying program aren't as bad?"

You are incessantly denying or equivocating any criticism of the Chinese government, the spying program, and what the results of it are. In your posts you'll say things like, "I think it's bad [concentration camps, massive crackdowns on free expression of religion, jailing people for no reason, etc], but how do we know the US isn't worse?" You're saying those things are bad but then making excuses for them by appealing to programs in other countries that do not exist in scale, severity, and reach. It's the argumentative equivalent of saying "I think the Holocaust was bad, but why are we always talking about Nazis, the US government interned Japanese people during World War II as well..." In which every informed person would say, "Yeah, the Japanese internment during WWII was shameful, but these two programs are not equitable and Nazi Germany deserves criticism for the holocaust."

I don't know if you live in the United States or not, but if you do, walk outside. There is no vast camera system. The US doesn't even have a federal voting system. We don't have federally controlled street lights. We don't have federally controlled health care. There is no infrastructure, personnel, or technology system to support an integrated camera system in most of our largest cities, let alone anywhere else. Beyond that, even if cameras and surveillance technology does exist, it's not owned or accessible by the federal government... For instance, the US government doesn't even have access to the tax filings of the most prominent citizen in the United States even though he filed those taxes with the government, and yet federal law enforcement doesn't have access to documents that the government has. Regardless of any of this, besides that it's plainly obvious that no Western government has the sort of sophisticated domestic spying program that China has and there is no vast prison camp system for religious minorities in the West, you keep repeating "I'm just asking questions..." or "but how do you know???"

Beyond that, nobody defends America's domestic spying program. I'd imagine all of us in this thread are very critical of it. But, we also aren't shutting ourselves off to other information that clearly shows that there is a difference in vastness and breath of the Chinese surveillance state, versus that of any other Western country -- like the US, UK, or Germany. How do we know that there isn't a vast surveillance state like that of China's? This is the conspiracy theory you've fallen back on several times. We have a free press in Western democracies. Now, sure, the American government gets in the way of the free press from time to time, requiring freedom of information requests, and so on, and there are times when even the free press can't turn up information until a leaker does -- like Edward Snowden's leak of NSA surveillance. But look at what happened in the aftermath of Snowden's 2013 leaks, you had this massive blitz of hundreds and thousands of articles, media inquiries, government oversight reviews, congressional hearings, people being fired ... this simply doesn't exist in the Chinese surveillance state, there isn't any reporting from within China on it because there is no free press, there is no free disclosure of information.

I just implore you to stop self-censoring and click some of the sources others, and I, have shared in this thread. Here's one that you don't even really have to read, it's an interactive video/audio/text article from the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/04/world/asia/xinjiang-china-surveillance-prison.html

Here is another interactive piece (though there's more words): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/25/world/asia/china-freedoms-control.html

And, really, I'm not even the staunchest critic of a company like Huawei, there are others here who are far more critical than I am. I am naturally a little skeptical of them and I would never personally buy anything they make. Part of why I'd never buy their products is because I work with a lot of Chinese ex-pats and the risk for them is just not high enough for me to buy a Huawei device, knowing Huawei's history and connection to the Chinese government and surveillance state.

Last edited:

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This actually sounds like a statement from the Chinese Government. Which Huawei is an appendage of.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
702 is still around. But it's known about. We know what the FISA court is. The EFF and other groups fight and exert pressure and changes happen.

There are hundreds of thousands of religious minorities in concentration camps in China. The social credit system is being used to collect information on people who pray a certain way so they can be identified. We should care.
How about our own government selling weapons to Saudi Arabia so they can blow up school buses, and our own government fighting an endless war in the middle east and at the brink of starting another war with Iran after putting sanctions on them even though they are abiding by the nuclear deal, and separating kids from their parents at the border? Yes we should care about all of that but we don't have the moral high ground to speak to the CCP like we're any better. This is about maintaining global hegemony and its the wrong route to take because it will eventually hurt one of our biggest company ( Google ) in the long run.

The best way is to compete, is to invest money into our own nation through our population by pumping money into education, infrastructure and eliminating the crushing debt that we put on the younger generation. Build from within.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
China is objectively worse

tenor.gif

Sorry Americans, you have basically zero moral high ground to stand on, if we're going to start recounting the atrocities each country commits and has committed.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Gee, I wonder?

There you go with the wide brush stroke. I said that regarding the credit system not the concentration camps. And its true that we do not have moral high ground regarding human rights - have you looked into U.S history and the things the current U.S regime is doing?

How are we going to fund Saudi Arabia with weapons and fight endless wars in the middle-east, separate children from their parents and never re-unite them and turn around and say OMG we can't let this Chinese phone company use our Android software because their Government funded concentration camps.

When the obvious truth is we want to preserve our position as the global hegemony so we can't let China take a bigger slice of the economic pie.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Scared Google might lose its dominance huh?

Trump and the GOP hate Google. The right wingers are convinced that Google is a liberal devil that is going to poison the minds of their kids. In that Trump and Xi are aligned.

Every single US firm that does business with Huawei is bombarding the government with phonecalls I would imagine. They're not the ones who chose this.

Anyone who does business knows that Trump's trade moves are idiotic. He's made things worse across the board by raising taxes. The problem is that those taxes have generally been targeted to industrial use. His base has only recently started to feel the effects. It's like when you get sick, but don't get a fever until a few days after infection.

Hopefully once more of them see the effects they'll also start to realize that Trump is an idiot who doesn't care about anyone other than himself.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Yes we see it now.

I know the results of foreign spying is somewhere between nothing and hundreds of thousands of people in camps, and that's just one Chinese example. Recent changes to the NSAs abilities (again, we have laws and can see what they're allowed to normally do) modified what is collected with regard to citizens.

Is there a specific outcome of foreign spying conducted by the US you'd like to cite?
No, you don't see it. You only know where they are caught. You don't see how they intervene with politics and wars in other countries. That's what I am alluding to. Or would you say that this is legitimate? I have a feeling that there is some mix up here. Maybe it is on my part, and if it is then I have no problem admitting it.
And maybe I am out of my depth here and the NSA doesn't spy on foreigners anymore or other countries. But that would surprise me a great deal.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So gross to see people stan for authoritarian governments. Like come on, it's not cute or edgey. The US and the west aren't perfect, but you're going to be all 'no moral high ground' vs China's brutal police state? What in the world.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you don't see it. You only know where they are caught. You don't see how they intervene with politics and wars in other countries. That's what I am alluding to. Or would you say that this is legitimate? I have a feeling that there is some mix up here. Maybe it is on my part, and if it is then I have no problem admitting it.
And maybe I am out of my depth here and the NSA doesn't spy on foreigners anymore or other countries. But that would surprise me a great deal.

Of course they spy on foreigners. Every country with an operating government spies on foreigners.

Can you point to an example you think compares to Chinese domestic surveillance?

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Accusation; Hostility Over a Series of Posts and a History of Similar Behavior
I'm Canadian bro. and Chinese too. but keep deflecting with emotional gotcha arguments and gifs
oh so you're a self hating Asian. Good to know bro. How come i never see you in threads regarding school shootings, religious place shooting, child separating, and etc?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
oh so you're a self hating Asian. Good to know bro. How come i never see you in threads regarding school shootings, religious place shooting, child separating, and etc?
That's what you call Chinese people objecting to the PRC now? Interesting. Also as a Canadian China can go fuck itself given the actual bullying they've done to Canada

But let me guess your probably popping on the CBC comments section calling Trudeau a lapdog

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending the CCP. I'm just calling out the prejudice towards them since they because an economic threat. I have been hearing a lot of talk about all stuff from China is crap, and if its good it was stolen, if its better than our stuff it was funded by the Chinese Gov. This type of rhetoric is a repeat of how we treated the Japanese until we found out they were not an economic threat. The rhetoric will spew out and become Truths in the mind of millions of Americans and it will affect all Asians no matter where you're from. Look at the middle-east rhetoric that made middle-eastern fall under the terrorist label, and so on...

There's a reason when there are school shootings, and the killer is white, you never hear the media label them terrorist because it will become truths in peoples mind.
Who is "we"? I am Canadian. How a bunch of American racists acted towards Japan in the 80's has nothing to do with this. You're only using that as a convenient ploy to hand wave concerns about the PRC.

The ploy would work if it wasn't for the fact that the PRC's own neighbours dislike them more than the US. Something you and others seem to conveniently be ignoring.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Its a separate personal question that has nothing to do with the PRC or these Huawei threads.
I don't like the current Chinese government and their censorship and human rights record. If that's self hating then a huge chunk of Taiwanese and Hong Kong non brainwashed prople are too . Ive bee pretty open about that

How about you. Why do you engage in whataboutism ? Are you Chinese? Are you being paid to post here?

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Who is "we"? I am Canadian. How a bunch of American racists acted towards Japan in the 80's has nothing to do with this. You're only using that as a convenient ploy to hand wave concerns about the PRC.

The ploy would work if it wasn't for the fact that the PRC's own neighbours dislike them more than the US. Something you and others seem to conveniently be ignoring.
Oh so you're Canadian. Yeah i guess you don't know about U.S history then?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Taiwan trades with Chinese companies just fine. I think they have a higher moral standing than the US or Canada here.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I want to see all high tech sales and licensing to China stopped. I want to see Apple, Nike and Hollywood banned in China.

Let's see how high can this escalates too. Global warming is going to cause a havoc on the international landscape anyways, might as well jump start the show.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I don't like the current Chinese government and their censorship and human rights record. If that's self hating then a huge chunk of Taiwanese and Hong Kong non brainwashed prople are too . Ive bee pretty open about that

How about you. Why do you engage in whataboutism ? Are you Chinese? Are you being paid to post here?
I am not Chinese and i don't get paid to post my opinions. And Whataboutism can be used when its valid.

Let me get this straight : You're Canadian and this thread is about America and China. You don't like the human rights in China so you want America another country that has a dark past regarding human rights to collapse China? Would you support a war with U.S vs China?

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan trades with Chinese companies just fine. I think they have a higher moral standing than the US or Canada here.
"Fine" from the PRC's perspective, sure. The PRC is taking advantage of a brain drain to lure young people to the mainland. Taiwan's economy has been struggling lately and the PRC is taking advantage.
Oh so you're Canadian. Yeah i guess you don't know about U.S history then?
I do, and I dislike the American government very much. However, compared to the current CCP I'd take the current American government over them 100 times out of 100.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I am not Chinese and i don't get paid to post my opinions. And Whataboutism can be used when its valid.

Let me get this straight : You're Canadian and this thread is about America and China. You don't like the human rights in China so you want America another country that has a dark past regarding human rights to collapse China? Would you support a war with U.S vs China?

We'll considering Europeans constantly butt into American news threads I don't see how my being Canadian matters.

Actually since China is currently bullying us, we should have a say ;)

Also whataboutism is never valid. If someone tells you that you're a terrible person calling them a terrible person back doesn't change the fact you are still terrible

Last edited:

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Bliman, you started in this thread by saying, "How do you know that China is spying more than the US, what is your proof?" I gave you like ~10 sources, all of which are well known and easily discoverable by you, that go into depth about the vastness of China's domestic spying program, and some of which compare it specifically to spying programs in other countries including America.

Your response was:

"I'm not going to read those because they don't answer my question." (which... they did...)

And then you shifted to, "I want to hear from more Chinese people," which you won't get an answer from because most people living in China either don't know about the vastness of the government spying program because there is no free press in China, OR they know about it and they don't care, OR they know about it and they're so scared about the consequences of talking about it because THEY KNOW talking critically about the government on the internet has consequences for them and their families.

And then, when presented with recent stories about China's vast and growing concentration camp system which is fed prisoners by the spying program -- all of whom have done nothing wrong -- you've shifted to, "Well how do you know that the results of the US' spying program aren't as bad?"

You are incessantly denying or equivocating any criticism of the Chinese government, the spying program, and what the results of it are. In your posts you'll say things like, "I think it's bad [concentration camps, massive crackdowns on free expression of religion, jailing people for no reason, etc], but how do we know the US isn't worse?" You're saying those things are bad but then making excuses for them by appealing to programs in other countries that do not exist in scale, severity, and reach. It's the argumentative equivalent of saying "I think the Holocaust was bad, but why are we always talking about Nazis, the US government interned Japanese people during World War II as well..." In which every informed person would say, "Yeah, the Japanese internment during WWII was shameful, but these two programs are not equitable and Nazi Germany deserves criticism for the holocaust."

I don't know if you live in the United States or not, but if you do, walk outside. There is no vast camera system. The US doesn't even have a federal voting system. We don't have federally controlled street lights. We don't have federally controlled health care. There is no infrastructure, personnel, or technology system to support an integrated camera system in most of our largest cities, let alone anywhere else. Beyond that, even if cameras and surveillance technology does exist, it's not owned or accessible by the federal government... For instance, the US government doesn't even have access to the tax filings of the most prominent citizen in the United States even though he filed those taxes with the government, and yet federal law enforcement doesn't have access to documents that the government has. Regardless of any of this, besides that it's plainly obvious that no Western government has the sort of sophisticated domestic spying program that China has and there is no vast prison camp system for religious minorities in the West, you keep repeating "I'm just asking questions..." or "but how do you know???"

Beyond that, nobody defends America's domestic spying program. I'd imagine all of us in this thread are very critical of it. But, we also aren't shutting ourselves off to other information that clearly shows that there is a difference in vastness and breath of the Chinese surveillance state, versus that of any other Western country -- like the US, UK, or Germany. How do we know that there isn't a vast surveillance state like that of China's? This is the conspiracy theory you've fallen back on several times. We have a free press in Western democracies. Now, sure, the American government gets in the way of the free press from time to time, requiring freedom of information requests, and so on, and there are times when even the free press can't turn up information until a leaker does -- like Edward Snowden's leak of NSA surveillance. But look at what happened in the aftermath of Snowden's 2013 leaks, you had this massive blitz of hundreds and thousands of articles, media inquiries, government oversight reviews, congressional hearings, people being fired ... this simply doesn't exist in the Chinese surveillance state, there isn't any reporting from within China on it because there is no free press, there is no free disclosure of information.

I just implore you to stop self-censoring and click some of the sources others, and I, have shared in this thread. Here's one that you don't even really have to read, it's an interactive video/audio/text article from the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/04/world/asia/xinjiang-china-surveillance-prison.html

And, really, I'm not even the staunchest critic of a company like Huawei, there are others here who are far more critical than I am. I am naturally a little skeptical of them and I would never personally buy anything they make. Part of why I'd never buy their products is because I work with a lot of Chinese ex-pats and the risk for them is just not high enough for me to buy a Huawei device, knowing Huawei's history and connection to the Chinese government and surveillance state.
First thanks for the post. But how are you posting links proving that China is spying more than the US? When the very act of spying is to be secret. I have no problem acknowledging that China uses it's spying to keep their own people down and it is very wrong and has to stop.
How strong can I word it that I find it horrible that they suppress their own people? How is it wrong to point out the other side? Or is that better for another thread?
This part is important to me
"And then you shifted to, "I want to hear from more Chinese people," which you won't get an answer from because most people living in China either don't know about the vastness of the government spying program because there is no free press in China, OR they know about it and they don't care, OR they know about it and they're so scared about the consequences of talking about it because THEY KNOW talking critically about the government on the internet has consequences for them and their families."
Because it gives a much better context. Just like speaking about Venezuela is better if you hear from those that are there and know more then both of us about the situation.
I think the dispute comes from the fact that you seem to know exactly what the result of the spying is from the US and me not knowing how far it reaches and what the consequences were and are.
About this "I don't know if you live in the United States or not, but if you do, walk outside. There is no vast camera system. The US doesn't even have a federal voting system. We don't have federally controlled street lights. We don't have federally controlled health care. There is no infrastructure, personnel, or technology system to support an integrated camera system in most of our largest cities".
We here have a camera system (and I have no problem with this) but I wouldn't like it if they used it for nefarious things. We do have federal controlled street lights (I think) and we never had a problem with it. But I will not deny and I never did that China doesn't spy on its people or isn't bad to its own people and that they are controlling them.
This I don't understand "you keep repeating "I'm just asking questions..." or "but how do you know???"" It is me trying to get a better grip on the situation.
About this "Beyond that, nobody defends America's domestic spying program. I'd imagine all of us in this thread are very critical of it. " That's not true many here never seem to realize that America (maybe I am very wrong on this) has much blood on its hand with their spying program. Why can't we criticize both instead of choosing only China? Let's get rid of both problems and influences. BOTH. It is not a defense for China.
"How do we know that there isn't a vast surveillance state like that of China's? This is the conspiracy theory you've fallen back on several times. We have a free press in Western democracies. " Doesn't America used their spying program for other things then China? Yes, China uses it for horrible purposes. But what has the US done with their program? Yes, it is very clear that China uses it in a very bad way. But has America used theirs to fuel wars and other things to advance their agenda?
I will look at the links of your post. And maybe our dispute is one that stems from a misunderstanding.
and again thanks for the response.