chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Has anyone had rings made? we were going to do Ringram in Osaka or Tokyo, but it looks like wedding rings are only available if you do their couples ring making course. Just saw Glanta in Kyoto can do them for you in 10 minutes, might opt for that. Any other good options?

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Has anyone had rings made? we were going to do Ringram in Osaka or Tokyo, but it looks like wedding rings are only available if you do their couples ring making course. Just saw Glanta in Kyoto can do them for you in 10 minutes, might opt for that. Any other good options?

Just looked up where I remembered a ring making thing and it was a Sharla video here which was at Ringram lol, not sure if this is where you saw it but maybe it'll help seeing it.

View: https://youtu.be/3eCz-nxDmn8?t=493

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Just looked up where I remembered a ring making thing and it was a Sharla video here which was at Ringram lol, not sure if this is where you saw it but maybe it'll help seeing it.

View: https://youtu.be/3eCz-nxDmn8?t=493

Thanks! i haven't seen that vid yet. But yeah, that kind of confirms the difference for me, looks like you can only get wedding rings there if you do the pair course, and we don't want to do that kind of time commitment, so we're leaning towards Glanta. Thanks again!

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Foreign visitors to Japan top 3 mil. for 2nd straight month in April

The number of foreign visitors to Japan totaled over 3.04 million in April, up 56.1 percent from a year earlier and exceeding the 3 million mark for the second consecutive month, amid the weak yen, government data show.

The number of foreign visitors to Japan totaled over 3.04 million in April, up 56.1 percent from a year earlier and exceeding the 3 million mark for the second consecutive month, amid the weak yen, government data showed Wednesday.

It was the second-highest monthly figure on record after 3.08 million recorded in March, and the cumulative number of visitors between January and April stood at around 11.6 million, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization.

If inbound tourist arrivals continue at their current pace, the figure for 2024 could surpass the annual record of 31.88 million logged in 2019, before the novel coronavirus outbreak in the country.

Notably, travelers from Southeast Asia and the Middle East increased as the month coincided with the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan this year, the organization said.

The largest number of travelers came from South Korea at 661,200, up 16.7 percent from the pre-pandemic level in 2019, followed by those from China at 533,600, down 26.5 percent, and Taiwan at 459,700, up 13.9 percent, according to the organization's preliminary data.

Visitors from Indonesia, with a sizeable Muslim population, rose 57.2 percent from 2019 to 62,500, while those from the Middle East jumped 73.8 percent to 23,200, according to the data.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Two municipalities at the foot of Mount Fuji plan to introduce an accommodation tax as early as 2026 to improve the local tourism industry and fight overtourism.

Hideyuki Watanabe, who was elected mayor of Fuji-Kawaguchiko in November, promised to introduce an accommodation tax as part of his campaign.

Town officials plan to study the tax amount and concrete measures to be taken, establish an ordinance and consult with the internal affairs ministry to introduce the tax early in 2026.

The city of Fuji-Yoshida, east of Fuji-Kawaguchiko, also plans to introduce an accommodation tax in fiscal 2026 alongside the neighboring town.

Mayor Shigeru Horiuchi instructed city officials to introduce the accommodation tax after receiving a proposal from the local chamber of commerce and industry in March.

"We want to work with officials of Fuji-Kawaguchiko toward the introduction so that there will be no difference in the amount between the two taxes," a senior city official said.

According to the internal affairs ministry, nine local governments, including Tokyo, Kyoto and Fukuoka, have introduced an accommodation tax.

The tax amounts are generally 100 to 200 yen although they differ between 50 yen and 1,000 yen depending on accommodation fees and other factors.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So we're going to the Japanese Alps, but instead of using the Hokuriku pass, we're going to use the Tourist Pass that goes through Nagoya into toyama and then towards Osaka. It includes the busses to shirakawago.
Our plan (for now) is:
  1. arrive at Tokyo, two nights there.
  2. We get a shinkansen to Nagoya and inmeditely get into the Train to Takayama. Stay there two nights. Maybe go to Gero or Toyama one day.
  3. The third day take an early morning bus to Shirakawago stay there for the day and take a bus to Kanazawa. Stay there two nights.
  4. Go to Tsuruga using the shinkansen, and then to Osaka/Kyoto using the Thunderbird. Stay there three nights.
  5. Go back to Tokyo using the shinkansen. Stay there three nights.
Is it feasible?

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
Just a couple questions for my trip coming up.

Would someone be able to give a quick explanation for how esim works? From my understanding, I buy it before I leave but can I set it up before departure and still use my primary sim and then swap once I land? It also looks like it would be cheaper than doing ATT international service (which looks to be about $10 a day), but using an esim wouldn't allow me to do call or texting, which seems fine since I could still use iMessage/discord for all that stuff. Also for 2 weeks, what would be the recommended amount of data, is 50 gb overkill? And finally, does anyone have any recommended providers, from what I've seen, airalo or ubigi seem like they are two of the more popular ones.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for areas to stay would be great! I was initially looking at Shinjuku since that seems to be most popular online, but I also like to run everyday and wasn't sure if that was as runner friendly compared to other spots (like if it was like trying to run in Time Square). The other spot I was looking at was Asakusa since then I could run along the Sumida River, but wasn't sure if that was not as easy to get around compared to Shinjuku. If anyone has any suggestions for either, OR any other nice spots to run in Shinjuku/Tokyo that would be appreciated!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. Make sure you check the timetables for the trains to/from Takayama though, there's not a lot of them each day. You probably want to pre-book as much as possible both for the buses and the Hida limited express train you plan to take as well.
The hida limited express is the one from Nagoya to Toyama, right?
Have you taken it before?
I'm a bit worried about luggage in the Takayama part of the trip, because we might stay at somewhere where it's not an hotel and I've never had to deal with that case when sending luggage.
I know I can't really take the luggage in the Takayama-Shirakawago-Kanazawa day.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has any suggestions for either, OR any other nice spots to run in Shinjuku/Tokyo that would be appreciated!

I've usually seen people jog at Yoyogi Park, near Meiji Jingu Gaien and in the area in front of the imperial palace near Tokyo Station. If you're doing really early morning runs, then Ueno Park is ok as well, but after like 9-10 it's filled with tourists though. Edit: Oh, and out in Odaiba, but you don't want to stay there as a normal tourist on your first trip to Tokyo.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
The hida limited express is the one from Nagoya to Toyama, right?
Have you taken it before?

Yes, many times. There's like 10 trains each day from Nagoya -> Takayama and 4-5 that goes further up to Toyama (and the same amount the other way). The normal reserved seats are often-ish fully booked, but usually there's unreserved seats free, at least if you get on/off at Nagoya and Takayama. I have seen people standing if they get on at Gifu for example.

Oh, and the train does a switchback at Gifu station, so it's better to set the seats up to ride 'backwards' from Nagoya to Gifu, then you ride forwards from Gifu to Takayama/Toyama.

Edit: I stayed in Toyama when visiting Kanazawa btw. Toyama got a better transportation network if your hotel is a bit away from the JR train station. Toyama got trams, while Kanazawa is all bus. If you're staying at walking distance from Kanazawa train station it's not a problem though.

Last edited:

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017

Would someone be able to give a quick explanation for how esim works? From my understanding, I buy it before I leave but can I set it up before departure and still use my primary sim and then swap once I land? It also looks like it would be cheaper than doing ATT international service (which looks to be about $10 a day), but using an esim wouldn't allow me to do call or texting, which seems fine since I could still use iMessage/discord for all that stuff. Also for 2 weeks, what would be the recommended amount of data, is 50 gb overkill? And finally, does anyone have any recommended providers, from what I've seen, airalo or ubigi seem like they are two of the more popular ones.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for areas to stay would be great! I was initially looking at Shinjuku since that seems to be most popular online, but I also like to run everyday and wasn't sure if that was as runner friendly compared to other spots (like if it was like trying to run in Time Square). The other spot I was looking at was Asakusa since then I could run along the Sumida River, but wasn't sure if that was not as easy to get around compared to Shinjuku. If anyone has any suggestions for either, OR any other nice spots to run in Shinjuku/Tokyo that would be appreciated!
The loop around the outskirts of the imperial palace seems really popular in all the heatmaps I have seen of where people go running. It's definitely flat and has some nice scenery. It's pretty much exactly a 5K loop.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Finally have all hotels reserved. Now onto trying to find more things to do while we're in the areas we're in.

The only truly mandatory thing we have on the list of to-dos is Shirakawa-go, because that is what my partner wants to see (massive Higurashi fan). Spending a whole day doing that.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
Finally have all hotels reserved. Now onto trying to find more things to do while we're in the areas we're in.

The only truly mandatory thing we have on the list of to-dos is Shirakawa-go, because that is what my partner wants to see (massive Higurashi fan). Spending a whole day doing that.

I absolutely adored Shirakawa-go when I went in February, was magical with all the snow everywhere and a real highlight of the trip.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Finally confirmed that I'm going back to Japan once again this October. One week in Tokyo and one week around Okinawa. Still open for suggestions on towns / places to stay in Okinawa. We've booked places in Nago, Chatan, and Naha for the week, which I think should be a good mix, but Okinawa definitely feels trickier to plan than all the other places I've been to in Japan

+1 for the MikeHattsu fan club over here! Always happy to help and super knowledgable!

Yeah, MikeHattsu is amazing

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017

I'll comment on the esim from being there in April. My wife and I both wanted service, but she had a better plan from technically being a first responder so she did the international plan through carrier. I didn't want to do $10/day so I got an esim. I did it through Airalo and had a great experience both in terms of product and price, in my opinion.

50 gb is overkill in my mind. I did the Asialink pass as we were also going to Thailand - not sure how the prices differ if just in Japan. I got the 10gb pass originally, and Airalo allows you to top off if you need more - the process is really simple. Think I topped off another 6-8 gb during my 3-week trip, and I was doing the heavy lifting in terms of navigation, searching, etc. so I was a pretty heavy user during that time.

Best I can tell, you can't activate the esim until you land. I turned off my data,, turned it back on when I landed, but it did immediately prompt ATT to activate the international $10/day plan. Given I couldn't text I was worried that would be active for all 22 days, but they only charged my $10 for the first day so I just ate that.

Hope that helps

In terms of running, didn't while I was there but as mentioned I saw a ton of runners around the palace grounds. Not directly related but we stayed in Shinjuku for 4 nights and Asakusa 2 on either end of the trip. I loved Asakusa - if you stay there go for a nightime stroll near the temple and alleys. Absolutely beautiful and memorable. And I have some restaurant recommendations if you do. Plus the indredible knife/kitchen shopping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Law change lets Japan police crack down on rule-breaking cyclists

Japan's parliament passed a bill that will permit police to fine cyclists for minor traffic violations, as authorities respond to an increase in accidents that has come in line with a boom in cycle commuting that began during the coronavirus pandemic.

Japan's parliament on Friday passed a bill that will permit police to fine cyclists for minor traffic violations, as authorities respond to an increase in accidents that has come in line with a boom in cycle commuting that began during the coronavirus pandemic.

When the revised Road Traffic Act comes into force, police will be able to issue people aged 16 and older so-called blue tickets for about 115 relatively minor violations like ignoring traffic lights and stop signs.

Blue ticket fines are expected to range between around 5,000 yen ($32) and 12,000 yen.

The amended law [also] expanded the range of red ticket offenses to include cycling above the established road alcohol driving limit or posing a danger to traffic by using a mobile phone while riding.

If convicted, those found cycling under the influence and issued a red ticket could be subject to imprisonment of up to three years or a fine of 500,000 yen, and those cycling while using a phone could be given a prison term of up to one year or a 300,000 yen fine.

The revised law also requires drivers to slow to a safe speed when passing a bicycle heading in the same direction, while cyclists are required to keep the left of the lane.

Wonder if they'll actually fine anybody though

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or are cyclists not ringing bells anymore? I had some near accidents earlier this year since they kinda snuck up on me. I remember year past they at least rung a bell.

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area

Running around the palace is nice but Yoyogi Park is also a great place to run, with a couple different options built into the park for shorter/longer loops

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Another castle that lets you stay :p

Built about 400 years ago, Marugame Castle is looking for a new feudal lord.

The new master must have deep pockets and foreigners are welcome.

It is accepting reservations for an overnight stay with two meals at the castle for two people at the princely sum of 1.265 million yen ($8,070), including tax.

The offer is primarily aimed at wealthy tourists from abroad.

The castle stay program is aimed at pairs, in principle, with officials hoping to attract 23 pairs in fiscal 2024, 36 pairs in fiscal 2025 and 38 pairs in fiscal 2026.

The overnight castle stay program will start in July.

Guests will be picked up by a rickshaw at JR Marugame Station to ride to the Ote Ichi-no-mon gate, where they will be welcomed by performers playing a traditional "taiko" drum.

They will walk or use other modes of transportation to get to the main keep and view the important cultural property situated on a 66-meter hill, which will be rented out to them.

They will be served dinner at Enjukaku Bekkan where they will stay overnight.

The meal will be prepared by famed French chef Shu Ishii, made using in-season ingredients from around the area and served on a "gozen" tray bearing the emblem of the Kyogoku clan.

At night, the guests can spend time inside the main keep enjoying drinks and the night view of Marugame Port.

Breakfast will be served in the main building at the daimyo-style Nakazu Banshoen Garden.