• None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As someone who thinks that Arc browser is best when used in fullscreen in MacOS, because then it really does feel like it lives up to its "OS for the internet" moniker, I kinda feel like full desktop Arc on iPadOS would be kind of a killer app considering the way iPadOS works still favors one dominant app at a time.

I do understand that it's not just an easy "release it direct on iPadOS," because the default side bar hiding behavior would be a bit difficult for touch-only iPad users with its standard behavior -- it would only really make sense for folks with a mouse or trackpad connected to their iPad and when using a cursor. But if they could find a way to make the adjustment, I think a version of full desktop Arc on iPadOS could be absolutely excellent for iPad in general.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
Smart Folio was delivered for my 13 iPad Pro. Seems nice.
Never had any cover for my 2018 iPad so I don't have anything to compare it with.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smart Folio was delivered for my 13 iPad Pro. Seems nice.
Never had any cover for my 2018 iPad so I don't have anything to compare it with.

Always liked the smart covers on pre-2018 iPads, but never quite liked the smart folios.

The Magic Keyboard is definitely for my lifestyle though, just a shame about its price.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
So after 4 long years using an 2019 16" MBP at work, I finally convinced IT to refresh my laptop because I was able to bring logs of this honking piece of shit thermal throttling all day long to the point I can barely use it.

They gave me a 16" M3 Pro MBP, I'm crying tears of joy.

That Intel MBP was the biggest piece of trash I've used in years, my God. Would overheat with 10 tabs open, with fans at full blast and everything. I'm so glad to dump that hunk of junk.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I had one of those. I traded it in as soon as the M1 came out. Terrible machine.

I legitimately can't believe Apple sold this turd. Feel sorry for people who bought these as personal devices. At my prior company I had a 2016 touchbar/butterfly 15" MBP and it never had issues to this extent.

This machine is a travesty in comparison. Overheats all the time. Can't charge it from the left side or it overheats. Terrible battery life. Eeesh.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like to think that the last intels in MacBooks were so unbelievably shit at thermals that Apple reprioritized everything to get Apple silicon out 1-2 years earlier than their original plans.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Did they kill the Apple News widget for countries who don't have the app? I recently lost all my home screen widgets (when scrolling left), and now the News widget is not in the list anymore. Googling it seems I'm not alone.

It was annoying that you couldn't edit the feed since the app wasn't available, but I still watched the default feed.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm afraid M4 debuting on the iPad is a bad sign. I hope the neural engine on the A16 can keep up with iOS 18 features, but I feel not even the A17 Pro will be enough for some.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So after 4 long years using an 2019 16" MBP at work, I finally convinced IT to refresh my laptop because I was able to bring logs of this honking piece of shit thermal throttling all day long to the point I can barely use it.

They gave me a 16" M3 Pro MBP, I'm crying tears of joy.

That Intel MBP was the biggest piece of trash I've used in years, my God. Would overheat with 10 tabs open, with fans at full blast and everything. I'm so glad to dump that hunk of junk.
I had the last 15" that released just before the 16", and it was the reason I switched to a ThinkPad. Windows was terrible, too, but oh my these late Intel MacBooks were unbelievable bad.

I love my 14" M1 Max, that's the best laptop I ever used.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I legitimately can't believe Apple sold this turd. Feel sorry for people who bought these as personal devices. At my prior company I had a 2016 touchbar/butterfly 15" MBP and it never had issues to this extent.

This machine is a travesty in comparison. Overheats all the time. Can't charge it from the left side or it overheats. Terrible battery life. Eeesh.
I've got one of these now and TBH it was falling off since about 2020, when I got it. 2x USB ports (1, really) is a travesty along with the over sensitive mouse pad, poor performance and what now seems to be a flickering screen /corrupt visuals.

Angling to swap to a 14" MBP so I've got an actual useful laptop that won't likely need to have a dongle plugged in to it to be used for work.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a huge pivot. Wasn't the rumor that apple would be cooperating with Google on AI?
Wouldn't this also be seen as a step back?

From what I've seen online it's felt like the sentiment was Apple were coming in slow and steady with their own AI solution but leveraging OpenAI would seem to suggest they don't think it's up to much?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if they're including neural engines in apple silicon, likely they will want to run LLMs and other models on device, which would also be consistent with Apples privacy first stance (usually).

Maybe they'll license a lightweight version of GPT from OpenAI, but I can't believe they would use their standard API off the shelf. They have the resources to train their own models and serve them.

Alternatively, maybe they're trying to get a better deal from Google, like they did when those Bing default rumors came out.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a huge pivot. Wasn't the rumor that apple would be cooperating with Google on AI?
Wouldn't this also be seen as a step back?

From what I've seen online it's felt like the sentiment was Apple were coming in slow and steady with their own AI solution but leveraging OpenAI would seem to suggest they don't think it's up to much?

WWDC is around the corner and Apple knows they need something solid for this year. From what we can logically gather about the hardware in the iPhone 15 and M4, and from the apparent goals and heavy drawbacks of OpenELM, it's pretty clear that Apple's major AI focus for 2024 is a smaller scaled parameter model that can run locally on their latest consumer devices. Apple is probably looking to avoid running LLMs on much more expensive servers in the cloud while answer speed is bottlenecked by network or server congestion - they sell a shitload of iPhones every year and if all of them on the latest iOS are suddenly asking their own cloud to write essays about how the war of 1812 led to the invention of the microwave, then Apple is in for a very expensive time.

The problem with Apple's OpenELM latest April 2024 model right now is that it's currently very very bad at correctly answering questions according to its MMLU scores, which is a test used for other LLMs to test knowledge and accuracy. Imagine asking a model hundreds of random multiple 4-choice questions about history, recipes, science, culture, whatever - the model knows the answers or it just guesses. GPT4 gets about 80-90% depending on the language. Microsoft's phi-3-mini with a comparable parameter count to OpenELM gets about 69%. Absolute random guessing gets you about 25%. Apple's OpenELM also gets 25%.

So the copium up until now has been that OpenELM actually states its purpose to be about research into model biases, transparency, and result trustworthiness - and not to worry about test scores because Apple must be cooking up something good that scores better. This OpenAI news seems to confirm that the something better they're cooking is just a deal to use another already well regarded LLM that can hopefully be scaled to run well on local devices.

Tl;dr Apple's chefs burned the roast and are running to Krusty Burger to serve us steamed hams for WWDC

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

I like to believe this was the machine that finally convinced them Intel was no longer for them and they need to hurry up and get their own chips into their machines. I know they obviously had this cooking for a while I'm sure, but that machine was just the last straw. They probably looked at it and said, "yeah, we're definitely making the right move." I traded it in two years later for half its original value. It basically paid for 75% of my 14" M1, so I wasn't mad at all. I can't believe how much of a disappointment it was compared to the 15" 2013 model I was using before it, which ironically used the same exact case mould and dimensions with the only differences being the bigger screen and port choices.

It throttled all the time. Ran hot all the time. I'm glad that all the post-release reviews of that specific model all had the same opinions. That's when you know you've got a lemon. lol

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid M4 debuting on the iPad is a bad sign. I hope the neural engine on the A16 can keep up with iOS 18 features, but I feel not even the A17 Pro will be enough for some.
This has been my take even before the early announcement of the M4. We may be at a generational divide on hardware, and you'll not want to be on the old end.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think its anything that fancy.

They may be accelerating move to M4 and it makes sense to put it in a 2 year cycle device asap to not hold that back - others can be quietly updated with a press release as it rolls out. Also the M4 may have been needed for the new display. So any increase in the neural engine block may be a useful bonus for the ipad pro as much as it might be any kind of generational divide for other hardware

and no way they're leaving devices behind with any kind of hard cutover. It'll take them years to get anything solid anyway, so I think if you're worst case just buying an M2 ipad air or an M3 MBP you likely still have a safe 5 years out of it with perhaps some 'possible' AI future features being a bit slower.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

in hindsight yes. I feel sorry for my son who we bought the last intel base MBP for university and that is a hairdryer even just with basic tasks - you have to shout if he's playing football manager. My daughter got an M1 MBA and the difference is insane. Actually makes me think we shoudl give her MBA to our son just for a nicer laptop (my daughter switched to a windows gaming laptop for her course)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
bought my wife an ipad 10 (really should have let her buy it but got an ok trade in on her ipad so didn't cost too much). £200 after trade in, used education discount from my daughter at Uni to get the original price down to £329 - was £499 last week so shit exchange rate doing the lords work.

She had an 8 before which was ok, but was a 32GB model and is constantly out of space even without a ton of apps. still kept it low wiht 64GB but should be enough breathing space for her. It'll also be nice to move to USB-C which leaves only her phone on lightning so I might get her a dedicated cable for her bedside table for overnight charging

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of upgrading my 12.9 iPad Pro 4th gen to the new 11 inch iPad Pro but I'm already seeing some memes about bend gate 2 with how thin the new ones are. Do we think apple would really repeat that mistake or is that just over reacting

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
J-Wood I'm waiting to see them in person to decide. Plus some reviews would be nice. They highlighted that the new ones are "just as durable as the old ones despite being thinner" but seeing as the existing 12.9s bend if you look at them wrong that statement doesn't inspire confidence.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of upgrading my 12.9 iPad Pro 4th gen to the new 11 inch iPad Pro but I'm already seeing some memes about bend gate 2 with how thin the new ones are. Do we think apple would really repeat that mistake or is that just over reacting

obviously over reacting. Plenty of youtubers will jump on it and bend the crap out of it on Wednesday but that doesn't mean its going to bend on you. And you'll have apple warranty if it does so I don't htink there is any concern even jumping in day one

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be shocked to find many of the big ones that aren't bent over time, unless you use a case. My wife's lives in the Magic Keyboard or on her desk for drawing and the charger end of the short side has a noticeable bend to it. Other three sides are all perfect on a level. Charger side not so much.

I have much more confidence in the 11". Less leverage across the face of it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
are apple deliveries easy to bump to the next day or do they have to do a first attempt? Have an ipad 10 coming tomorrow and now have to be in the office but its already shipped

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mean to ask for tech support, just curious if this has happened to anyone else. My 14 Pro Max will no longer charge when plugged in. It'll say it's charging, but the battery percentage will decrease while it's "charging", to the point where it will actually die. The only way I can get it to charge is by plugging in the cable, and while the cable is plugged in do a hard restart. And if I unplug the cable and plug it back in I have to restart again. I feel like it started with the 17.4.1 update, but I don't have a way of confirming that.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mean to ask for tech support, just curious if this has happened to anyone else. My 14 Pro Max will no longer charge when plugged in. It'll say it's charging, but the battery percentage will decrease while it's "charging", to the point where it will actually die. The only way I can get it to charge is by plugging in the cable, and while the cable is plugged in do a hard restart. And if I unplug the cable and plug it back in I have to restart again. I feel like it started with the 17.4.1 update, but I don't have a way of confirming that.
Have you cleaned the port?

My iPhone was dodgy once, so I cleaned out the charging port with a toothpick and managed to pull out almost half a pair of jeans worth of lint. :D

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
Guys I need your help, desperately. For some fucking random reason I completely forgot my iPhone passcode and this is never happened to me before. I've done so many attempts that now I have to wait 3 hours to use it again. I'm scared to even attempt again due to permanentely disabling the phone. The last time I backed up my iPhone up to my MacBook was in november and I don't have iCloud. So erasing/resetting doesn't even sound tempting right now.

Am I literally in the worst scenario possible? I feel like crying smh

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Guys I need your help, desperately. For some fucking random reason I completely forgot my iPhone passcode and this is never happened to me before. I've done so many attempts that now I have to wait 3 hours to use it again. I'm scared to even attempt again due to permanentely disabling the phone. The last time I backed up my iPhone up to my MacBook was in november and I don't have iCloud. So erasing/resetting doesn't even sound tempting right now.

You don't have muscle memory at all? Is it not something you've used many times? How many attempts have you done so far? If you don't have it set to erase the phone after 10 attempts you should be able to keep trying but I don't know what the countdown maxes out at.

And once you get it up, back it up. iCloud is only $1 a month for plenty of space to store all your stuff. It's a no-brainer really.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

If you forgot your iPhone passcode, use your Mac or PC to reset it - Apple Support

Locked out of your iPhone and forgot your passcode? Use a computer to put your iPhone into recovery mode so you can erase your phone and set it up again.

oh, saw what you said about erasing/resetting ...

I don't think there's an option, based on a cursory read of Reddit.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Always on Display on my iPhone 15 Pro doesn't always work. Maybe 75% of the time it does?

Is there some reason it wouldn't be? Like some weird setting somewhere? Or just a bug I guess?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Always on Display on my iPhone 15 Pro doesn't always work. Maybe 75% of the time it does?

Is there some reason it wouldn't be? Like some weird setting somewhere? Or just a bug I guess?
I have a 13, but Apple says:
The display automatically turns off when iPhone is either face down or obstructed from view, not near a paired Apple Watch, when a CarPlay session begins, while Continuity Camera is in use, while Low Power Mode is on, while Sleep Focus is on, or at your usual bedtime.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a silly question - but we're currently on a short RV trip with our daughter, and we have a TV in the back of our RV with an HDMI input and she's allowed to watch 3 episodes of Bluey on Disney+ before going to bed. They're downloaded for offline playback.

What's the cheapest option to stream the content to the TV that isn't plugging in the iPad via the HDMI dongle (what we currently do)

Do chromecasts need a shared home WiFi? Doesn't the chromecast itself just stream the content from the service? Or does it work similar to AirPlay?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
www.macrumors.com

Troubling iOS 17.5 Bug Reportedly Resurfacing Old Deleted Photos

There are concerning reports on Reddit that Apple's latest iOS 17.5 update has introduced a bug that causes old photos that were deleted – in...

check your recently uploaded after you update

Oh no...

www.macrumors.com

iOS 17.5 Bug May Also Resurface Deleted Photos on Wiped, Sold Devices

A bug in iOS 17.5 is apparently causing photos that have been deleted to reappear, and the issue seems to impact even iPhones and iPads that have...

The common denominator here seems to be iCloud. Stop using iCloud for photos I guess.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no...

www.macrumors.com

iOS 17.5 Bug May Also Resurface Deleted Photos on Wiped, Sold Devices

A bug in iOS 17.5 is apparently causing photos that have been deleted to reappear, and the issue seems to impact even iPhones and iPads that have...

The common denominator here seems to be iCloud. Stop using iCloud for photos I guess.
I'm definitely not going to do that, photos are like the most critical content my iCloud backs up haha. Hopefully this is fixed soon