Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
This I was able to pre-order last night, though nothing on the page indicates anything about it being anything other than the regular blu ray
This says diamond luxe but says the same thing from yesterday about simply being unavailable.

Guess we'll see what I get in the mail :V

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This I was able to pre-order last night, though nothing on the page indicates anything about it being anything other than the regular blu ray

This says diamond luxe but says the same thing from yesterday about simply being unavailable.

This is a rerelease of the Diamond Luxe version but it's not labeled as such. It does have the same cover art which is how you can tell and it has a release date of today. Several people on blu-ray.com already got theirs last week and have confirmed that it is the Diamond Luxe version. Mine just arrived but I'm not at home to check it out yet.

Edit: Can confirm it's the reprint of the Diamond Luxe version that I got.

Last edited:

19Kilo

Oct 30, 2017
This is a rerelease of the Diamond Luxe version but it's not labeled as such. It does have the same cover art which is how you can tell and it has a release date of today. Several people on blu-ray.com already got theirs last week and have confirmed that it is the Diamond Luxe version. Mine just arrived but I'm not at home to check it out yet.

Edit: Can confirm it's the reprint of the Diamond Luxe version that I got.
Got mine yesterday as well. Yeah, it's just the reprint in a simple case with just the movie and the special features discs. But it has that lovely Atmos track.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
my Mad Max Fury Road & Killer Klowns came in yesterday

I found out I already had a copy of Fury Road in 3D lol

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Arrived home to my 4k copy of Stop Making Sense šŸ˜Š

Looks and sounds amazing,! Definitely worth it for me even with the insane price to import it to Canada...

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Psa
View: https://twitter.com/Highdefwatch/status/1790895382136009185?s=19

Watched Tremos and Face/Off from arrow/kino(honestly can't remember which came from where)

Both really good. Face/off is the better transfer for the sound alone, it's active and bass-y when it needs to.
Tremors they did nothing with the bass, like the worms are literally shaking the buildings and the sub is barely active.

Also Tremors is a perfect example of film stock, lighting setup and exposure effect grain.
Every interior shots at Changs, or night shots are extremely grainy. But out door daytime shots would probably make some accuse them of applying DNR.
Whereas Face/Off very very few inside shots are very grainy, they're all well exposed.

Also in 4k you can totally tell the stuntmen don't like anything like Travolta and Cage when the boat crashes and they go flying.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I pick up a cheap movie here and there on Apple. Recently I got the Alien 6 film bundle (4 are in 4K) for $20 CAD and The Transporter 1&2 (just 1080p) for $8.

I havent bought a physical disc for movies/TV in many years. I used to buy DVDs, but they became obsolete and I felt burned. Then the same thing happened to blu-rays.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just a reminder that the last day to order from the Disney Movie Club is on the 20th. So if there's anyone here that was already a member and wants to order something, you've got four days to do it. There's a big sale going on, too.

I put in an order last weekend, but I'm still waiting for it to ship, though...

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I put in one more order for DMC. A few things I probably should have ordered through Amazon though.

But they have quite a bit in their $5/$10/$15 bins.

The last order they included a thank you card signed by like 25 employees or so.

MadDogTannen

Feb 21, 2023
Psa
View: https://twitter.com/Highdefwatch/status/1790895382136009185?s=19

Watched Tremos and Face/Off from arrow/kino(honestly can't remember which came from where)

Both really good. Face/off is the better transfer for the sound alone, it's active and bass-y when it needs to.
Tremors they did nothing with the bass, like the worms are literally shaking the buildings and the sub is barely active.

Also Tremors is a perfect example of film stock, lighting setup and exposure effect grain.
Every interior shots at Changs, or night shots are extremely grainy. But out door daytime shots would probably make some accuse them of applying DNR.
Whereas Face/Off very very few inside shots are very grainy, they're all well exposed.

Also in 4k you can totally tell the stuntmen don't like anything like Travolta and Cage when the boat crashes and they go flying.

Is there a quick check to do to see if you have the issues? I bought it a while back but never checked the discs...

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Not breaking news, but Dune Pt 2 is an incredible disc.

I think it also solidified that I will always prefer, at this point with the theaters I have nearby, a home release on my OLED to an IMAX screening. While I enjoyed Dune in IMAX, seeing it in HDR on a proper OLED can't be topped IMO.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I think it also solidified that I will always prefer, at this point with the theaters I have nearby, a home release on my OLED to an IMAX screening. While I enjoyed Dune in IMAX, seeing it in HDR on a proper OLED can't be topped IMO.
I've had the same thought when watching some of the Planet Earth and Blue Planet discs. The movie theater doesn't look as good as my G3, IMO.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Question for the home theater gang:

Is there anything I can do with the room I've got my TV and speakers set up in?
It's not an ideal layout, with the rear surrounds against the wall and right over the shoulders. Fine enough when I'm sitting in the middle of the sofa, but a pain when others are around. Other things to mention are the movie shelf and the slim subwoofer behind the couch. A fairly basic 5.1deal. Tower speakers up front, book shelves at the back and one of those chunky center speakers shamefully placed inside the middle shelf of the TV unit.

Best I've thought up that doesn't require side stepping between speaker stands to get the the couch might be to flip the positions. More room to space out the surrounds, even if there's still not enough room to get them behind the seating.

Figure it was worth running past the people who know what they're doing.

screenshot_2024_05_17_100315_by_candynaught_dhf0ha9-375w-2x.jpg

Like, it's not going to impress the folks who spend tens of thousands on converting their basement in to the ultimate home theater but I'm super happy to have a movie space of my own. Not been able to visit the cinema for a while, so this is the next best thing.
Picked up a lot of second hand speakers and stuff from recycling stores and got a really good deal on an older OLED TV. Only "new" thing there is the UHD player. Got to have the 4K movies!

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is putting out a Blu-ray set for The Three Stooges.

Seems like there's a ton of shorts missing especially at the price point.
I wish they'd have just done what they did on dvd and released chronological sets. This is way too expensive, doesn't include everything from the classic era, and includes stuff I wouldn't pay for in the first place (the movies and anything with Besser and DeRita). My dvds still work, so no need for this.

19Kilo

Oct 30, 2017
Question for the home theater gang:

Is there anything I can do with the room I've got my TV and speakers set up in?
It's not an ideal layout, with the rear surrounds against the wall and right over the shoulders. Fine enough when I'm sitting in the middle of the sofa, but a pain when others are around. Other things to mention are the movie shelf and the slim subwoofer behind the couch. A fairly basic 5.1deal. Tower speakers up front, book shelves at the back and one of those chunky center speakers shamefully placed inside the middle shelf of the TV unit.

Best I've thought up that doesn't require side stepping between speaker stands to get the the couch might be to flip the positions. More room to space out the surrounds, even if there's still not enough room to get them behind the seating.

Figure it was worth running past the people who know what they're doing.

screenshot_2024_05_17_100315_by_candynaught_dhf0ha9-375w-2x.jpg

Like, it's not going to impress the folks who spend tens of thousands on converting their basement in to the ultimate home theater but I'm super happy to have a movie space of my own. Not been able to visit the cinema for a while, so this is the next best thing.
Picked up a lot of second hand speakers and stuff from recycling stores and got a really good deal on an older OLED TV. Only "new" thing there is the UHD player. Got to have the 4K movies!
My setup is in a similar space. I ended up moving the couch closer to the door and moved the tv to the left some too. Kept the surrounds in each corner. My door is the front door, so it's usually closed and the speaker luckily doesn't get smashed when the door opens. It puts the left surround further away then the right, but with calibration it sounds great, and you don't get too much lopsided sound from them if you're on either end of the couch. Would still love a dedicated room at some point, but I'm pretty happy with how it is now, running 5.1.2.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not really physical media specific, but I figured I would post this for a laugh. I've liked L.A. Confidential since release, and have it on Blu-ray, but the best film of all time? Top Gun: Maverick making the top ten? šŸ¤£

editorial.rottentomatoes.com

300 Best Movies of All Time

As reviewed and rated by Rotten Tomatoes critics and users!

I've been saying this since 2016 after getting my B6. Washed out greys for blacks and dull colors by comparison. To actually see a good image up on the big screen means I have to drive at least an hour and a half from where I live. Every time I've upsized each new TV since, going to our local theater has been even more pointless other than for a select few films.

Good friend of mine who recently got a G3 was saying he was going to wait until Dune Part 2 hit physical before watching it, because he was saying the same thing about his local theater. He found himself out of state with nothing to do recently, so he went to see it at the theater, then once the disc came out, he said he has zero reason to ever go to the theater again now since there's no comparison. The IMAX screen he saw it on looked like garbage compared to the home release on his TV. It was of course just on a bigger screen.

Last edited:

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Not really physical media specific, but I figured I would post this for a laugh. I've liked L.A. Confidential since release, and have it on Blu-ray, but the best film of all time? Top Gun: Maverick making the top ten? šŸ¤£

editorial.rottentomatoes.com

300 Best Movies of All Time

As reviewed and rated by Rotten Tomatoes critics and users!

There's some weird things about this list.

>The Lord of the Rings The Two Towers at 40
>The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring at 201
>The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King at 205

I really love How to train your dragon, but I wouldn't really place it at #15....

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes with these kinds of lists, it feels like they're usually geared towards like specific kinds of tastes. Like animation frequently gets ignored.

But this is an overall weird list.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my Italian import of Killers of the Flower Moon 4K. Looks great, and the only baked in subs are for the silent film title cards that replace the baked in English subs, so it's not that big of a deal. With Ted Lasso getting a physical release now I fully expect an US or even Criterion 4K release to be announced shortly.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Just got my Italian import of Killers of the Flower Moon 4K. Looks great, and the only baked in subs are for the silent film title cards that replace the baked in English subs, so it's not that big of a deal. With Ted Lasso getting a physical release now I fully expect an US or even Criterion 4K release to be announced shortly.
a sign that more AppleTV stuff is making the jump? i hope so

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
a sign that more AppleTV stuff is making the jump? i hope so

From what I understand WB and Universal have a hand in Ted Lasso. WB in particular is pretty good about pushing physical media, I would argue.

I wouldn't really take it as a sign that AppleTV stuff is necessarily making the jump, but more so that Apple didn't prevent WB from putting Ted Lasso on Blu-ray a year after it finished.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I bought a couple Bong Joon-ho films on Apple, and to my surprise the English subs are burned in and kinda ugly. They have the same distributor, I think Magnolia. I guess it's okay, wish they looked better tho.