• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017

The version tested was 1.3114.44.0. The default video settings were used.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Xbox Series X 120fps
02:30 - Xbox Series S 120fps
05:00 - Xbox Series X 60fps
07:30 - Xbox Series S 60fps
10:00 - Xbox One X
12:30 - Xbox One S

The minor frame rate drops when running in the 60fps mode on the Xbox Series consoles were only found in some matches. The severity of the frame pacing issues on the Xbox One consoles varied without an obvious cause.

Xbox Series X in the 60fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2400x1800. Xbox Series X in the 60fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 2240x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode. Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

Xbox Series S in the 60fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1536x900. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common on Xbox Series S when in the 60fps mode. Xbox Series S in the 60fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series S in the 120fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 1536x900 and the lowest resolution found being 960x540. Native resolution pixel counts seem to usually be below 1280x720 on Xbox Series S when in the 120fps mode. Xbox Series S in the 120fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2240x1800. Xbox One X uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1120x900. Xbox One S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using Variable Rate Shading which can result in some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame.

Xbox Series X and Xbox One X have performance and quality modes available but there doesn't appear to be a difference between them at the moment. The 120fps modes are accessible by setting the Xbox Series consoles to output at 120hz.

Stats: https://bit.ly/378Ydlk
Frames Pixel Counted: https://bit.ly/3rL8KfS

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
So, the One S/X is not locked 60fps from what I'm seeing here? At least not what they tested? Because the One X has higher resolution than Series S across the board there but they don't mention 60fps like they do for Series S.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The upscaling tech seems really good because those resolutions may happen for a single frame to be able to detect that internal resolution, but watching it in motion it never looked low res at all. It looked like a 1080p game.

Similar story to Metro Exodus then. Mostly a 1080p title visually, with the occasional 900p look here and there.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Series s seems to hold that 120 better . Probably should make the dynamic resolution a little more aggressive on series x and try to lock it .

Then again , this is an older build and the game isn't out for months so all platforms will most likely perform better at launch . ( not that any are too bad right now )

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they can manage a 60fps mode for the One X at the very least. It seems odd for it to be locked at 30fps and 4K but not provide a 1080p/60 option. That is unless a 1080p resolution isn't enough to push it to 60. Perhaps the currently non-functional performance options on the console version of the game provides that when the game finally launches.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might be cpu related according to the flight thread.
Certainly possible if the game is CPU-limited as the flight seems to suggest, from what I can tell the CPU in the One X isn't that much more powerful than the One/One S. Still, the build is fairly old and definitely still not fully optimized, so maybe there's still some hope. I guess I'll just have to wait for an official confirmation or at release time.

Last edited:

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Certainly possible if the game is CPU-limited as the flight seems to suggest, from what I can tell the CPU in the One X isn't that much more powerful than the One/One S. Still, the build is fairly old and definitely still not fully optimized, so maybe there's still some hope. I guess I'll just have to wait for an official confirmation or at release time.
Yeah the One X still has the ancient CPU holding it back comparatively to the Series S. I just bought a Series S and have a One X. I'm already noticing small, but pretty noticeable, things that make the Series S stand out above the One X. I also have a 1080p TV, so the resolution differences aren't super important to me right now.

I have to admit, this little console is super impressive.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the One X still has the ancient CPU holding it back comparatively to the Series S. I just bought a Series S and have a One X. I'm already noticing small, but pretty noticeable, things that make the Series S stand out above the One X. I also have a 1080p TV, so the resolution differences aren't super important to me right now.

I have to admit, this little console is super impressive.
Yeah. I have a 1080p TV as well and probably will for some time, so that's mainly why I'm hoping there's a 1080/60fps mode tbh. I keep wanting pick up a Series X since I feel it'll be more future-proof for when I eventually get a 4K TV, but it gets kinda frustrating when the Series S continues to sit on store shelves for some time while the X is never to be found. I'm rather shocked that the Series S even has a 120fps option, though I'm unsure a sub-720p is a worthwhile trade for that. Still, it's a damn impressive machine for $300 bucks; I do get tempted from time to time.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah. I have a 1080p TV as well and probably will for some time, so that's mainly why I'm hoping there's a 1080/60fps mode tbh. I keep wanting pick up a Series X since I feel it'll be more future-proof for when I eventually get a 4K TV, but it gets kinda frustrating when the Series S continues to sit on store shelves for some time while the X is never to be found. I'm rather shocked that the Series S even has a 120fps option, though I'm unsure a sub-720p is a worthwhile trade for that. Still, it's a damn impressive machine for $300 bucks; I do get tempted from time to time.
So funny, you're reading my mind over the last few months. I was waiting to get a series X, too, given it's definitely the better console. But have grown tired of waiting, and am too busy to check restocks and have no desire to pay exorbitant scalper prices. I figured the Series S was cheap enough to get now - and either I can sell it later towards a Series X or put it in a second room, perhaps for my kids when they get older.

I'm not saying "go get a Series S" - but I'm personally pretty impressed with it, despite its shortcomings (storage space and resolution being the biggest ones - but I can work around the first and learns to deal with the second).

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I think those XSS results just show how much this being a last gen/cross-gen game is holding this back compared to being built from the ground up/targeting Series consoles and PC only.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

I played several games on Series S at 120fps, and it looked really impressive every time. Series S is going to be a great console for Halo Infinite at the very least. I imagine the dynamic resolution with temporal upscaling is just doing an awesome job. It also looks especially good and only slightly inferior to Series X at 60fps (from about 7 feet back from a 65" TV).

If you find a Series S, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up until you find a Series X. You'll probably easily be able to sell it by then. Plus, the little beast looks especially good on the Series S optimized games, like Flight Simulator, Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves etc.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean looking only at res numbers doesnt mean much anymore these days. I mean if you look at the Series in the vid it doesnt look at all like the number suggest.
TU is really great these days and also this res is also for the 120fps mode. Also this is all done without much optimization yet and backend telemetry used for test that stresses the CPU abit more also.