• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
On Monday night, at the historic Riverside Church in Manhattan, an audience was treated to a powerful live reading of "The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in Ten Acts," by stars including John Lithgow, Jason Alexander, Annette Bening, Kyra Sedgwick and Alyssa Milano. The play, written by the Pulitzer Prize winning Robert Schenkkan, was a dramatization of the Mueller Report that used the actual text for dialogue.

In an email interview with me, Schenkkan explained that he wrote the play out of frustration that the Trump administration had been "successful in obstructing the narrative" from the moment that Attorney General William Barr outlined the findings.

Given the partisan political climate, the play seemed to be undertaking the role of Congress -- bringing the findings to life and giving the public a sort of thorough congressional hearing that we simply have not seen yet.

The results were powerful. The actors narrated parts of the action, using text from the report, while others acted out the lines as if they were the people in the report. Seeing Lithgow, as President Trump, delivering lines with furious indignation about closing down the "witchhunt" investigation and barking orders to his staff to follow through carried a much greater wallop than reading the dry text.
Thorough congressional hearings have always been an important form of political theater. Hearings have historically served the function of focusing public attention on pertinent issues and educating the public about problems -- from failed policies to political corruption -- that have plagued Washington.

Since the release of the Mueller Report, House Democrats have struggled to shed light on the contents of the report and its implications. Instead, Americans have been left with a lengthy and complicated document which on its own is unlikely to stimulate a political response.
The play focuses on 10 possible instances of obstruction of justice. Actors including Kevin Kline, Ben McKenzie, Alfre Woodard, Gina Gershon, and Aidan Quinn, helped bring to life the devastating findings from the Mueller report on just how far President Donald Trump was willing to go to stifle a major investigation into his administration and into Russian interference in the election.

In contrast to the way that President Trump and Attorney General Barr have depicted the report, Schenkkan's play shows that Mueller's team documented a shocking abuse of presidential power. Billed as "The Play That Attorney General William Barr Doesn't Want You To See," according to the press release, "The Investigation" is a dramatic counterpoint to the disinformation campaign that came out of the administration.

Schenkkan's hope was to use the arts so that the play's audience would gain a better sense of the report's contents which have been discussed extensively and even became a best-selling book -- but not clearly or fully read.
"The 'story' tends to get lost. A theatrical event like this makes the story very clear and easy to understand. It gives focus and emotion," he said in his email. Artists, he wrote, "surface the stories that need to be told and do so in a way which people can absorb. They provoke introspection, conversation and a sense of community -- all of which are sorely lacking right now."

This play, along with other comparable efforts -- such as a graphic novel that is in the works based on the report -- addresses one of the most fundamental flaws in the investigation: Without any substantive congressional hearings comparable to the Watergate committee in 1973, Democrats who favored the impeachment process would never really have a chance to sway the public.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
People not interested in Lithgow as Trump? He does sound a bit too smart for the part I guess.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really bad? The excerpts I've seen seem okay though hard to follow.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When has the theatre ever been the place to express political beliefs I mean come now

A reading of a shitty script by a cobination of good and terrible people does not make it good commentary just because its done in a theater.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
For a second I was confusing this with that pro-Trump production Dean Cain and Kristy Swanson are doing.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the play end with Democratic party leadership rejecting calls for impeachment?

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the negativity. I'm never going to read the report, but I am going to watch this. Surely this is a good thing?

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump will surely resign once he sees this. And his supporters will immediately ditch their poisonous rhetoric.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
9u4J0ZU.gif

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
If it creates more public awareness about the contents of the report, then isn't this a good thing?

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
Depends on how it's handled. Some people are more visual. They may not be able to follow the report and this may help them understand what it characterized.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
This is sad. No wonder nobody takes all the shit Trump does seriously. It's like a fucking TV show for them. All this does is fuel the perception that this is all a big joke we should laugh at it. It's a serious fucking subject people and a big fucking problem.

What's next? U.S. Concentration Camps the musical? Let's all laugh at that too so we become numb to the reality that FUCKING CHILDREN are suffering in cages. HAHAHA!

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
This is sad. No wonder nobody takes all the shit Trump does seriously. It's like a fucking TV show for them. All this does is fuel the perception that this is all a big joke we should laugh at it. It's a serious fucking subject people and a big fucking problem.

What's next? U.S. Concentration Camps the musical? Let's all laugh at that too so we become numb to the reality that FUCKING CHILDREN are suffering in cages. HAHAHA!
1. Not a comedy
2. Your avatar is in the play

Oct 28, 2017

Did you even read the OP

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of this would be funny to ridicule if elected politicians weren't serving their own self-interest rather than their country.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Interesting... has something like this been done before?

It's sad that a play and a graphic novel can come out first before a proper Congressional hearing...

The sooner we forget about this whole investigation the better.
What? No.

The report that resulted from the investigation is far too important for it to be ignored.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, watching bits and pieces right now and doesn't seem too bad to me. If this gets more people to understand what the hell is actually in the Mueller Report I dig it.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
People seem to seriously believe that performing arts are only there for popcorn-chewing entertainment?

jfc guys

These people are trying to help you

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good way to spread the actual content of the report versus the media circus around it. Just because it wasn't the divine intervention some were looking for, doesn't mean it would be the end of any other (normal) presidency. Ignoring the report is basically playing with the GOP's strategy for this whole charade.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
My wife had this on last night, so I overheard a lot of it. Lithgow was awesome, of course. Jason Alexander, as you would expect, was great. Some of the other actors were a bit wooden, though.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Not sure why people are upset by this, theater can be used in all sorts of ways. Shakespeare can be credited with affecting history in multitudes of ways with his plays; also worth noting this is a dramatization of events. Same shit happens when you see a documentary on Netlfix or a cool war story based on true events.