• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link:

Square Enix posted their Q&A for their third quarter of the fiscal year ending March 2021.

Question regarding increase in content production assets:

Q: Why did your content production account grow between end-FY2020/3 and end-3Q FY2021/3 despite having released two major titles during FY2021/3?

A: It goes without saying that the primary reason is the wealth of new titles slated for launch in our pipeline. However, the rise in per-title development costs is also a reason. Our Group will focus on improving development efficiency by adopting procedural content generation techniques, utility game engines, and AI so that we can share technologies and assets globally.

About their pipeline for the fiscal year ending March 2022:
Q: Could you share your thinking on your pipeline for FY2022/3?

A: We are planning to release multiple titles for which we have high expectations in FY2022/3, including some that we have yet to announce.

Regarding the outlook on Marvel's Avengers:

Q: What is your outlook for earnings from "Marvel's Avengers" going forward?

A: We believe it hinges on how well the full game sells going forward and how the GAAS elements perform.

No change in dividend payouts:

Q: Could you share your thinking on shareholder return given that you achieved your current mid-term earnings targets in 3Q and your cash & deposits have grown?

A: In general, there is no change in the policy that we have included in our guidance to date, namely that we intend to maintain a consolidated dividend payout ratio of 30%. However, in the case of FY2021/3, we intend to take a flexible approach based on our performance in 4Q, given individual factors stemming from corporate tax rates, etc.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I thought Square Enix was the Publisher for Left Alive, had no idea they also published Avengers crazy

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
That question about the Avengers has the most non-answer ever lol

"What's your outlook on the game?" "Well it depends on how much it sells"

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
My main takeaway: Holy crap, they have 17 active gacha games right now. That's insane.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Square-Enix? Who's that?

OH RIGHT, the avengers guys!!! Of course!!!!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
"Q: What is your outlook for earnings from "Marvel's Avengers" going forward?

A: We believe it hinges on how well the full game sells going forward and how the GAAS elements perform."

I know you can't look too much into answers in these kind of things, but that just sounds so...defeated lol. 'What's the outlook?' 'Hell if we know, man, we just trying.'

Oct 26, 2017
"

A: We believe it hinges on how well the full game sells going forward and how the GAAS elements perform. "

Incredible answer. This is an all-timer.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
That answer about Avengers sounds like they're getting really close to cutting bait.

Bet the sales on the PS5/XSX versions will determine if the game lives or dies.

Oct 29, 2017
That answer about Avengers sounds like they're getting really close to cutting bait.

Bet the sales on the PS5/XSX versions will determine if the game lives or dies.

Yeah, that answer is basically "it's not doing well at all, but we don't want to say it outright".

Wondering what those high expectation games are as well...

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
that avengers comment is so bad. they will shit out spider-man in a few months and cancel all the other stuff to minimize their loss.
i wish marvel would step in like disney did with battlefront 2.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
A: We believe it hinges on how well the full game sells going forward and how the GAAS elements perform.

0f074f3c36c8f51ab8f4881a276dc4f4.jpg

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Tomb Raider and Deus Ex died for this.

They've already said TR is going to continue and I do believe in that anniversary video or whatever they mentioned a new game was in development, so it didn't, though it probably delayed that game's development I imagine.

Deus Ex, though, yeah. It's dead.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Q: "What are you going to do with Avengers?"
A: "We already accounted for it in the last fiscal year report you saw so we won't say anything until we cancel it sometime before the FY2023 starts so if you want your dividend that you are about to get to be the same amount and not less then shut up"

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow...

"If people buy stuff we earn more money"

9b63bkix.png

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
My main takeaway: Holy crap, they have 17 active gacha games right now. That's insane.

1 billion a year (or around that) doesnt come from nothing. Though they have none insanely big one ala Genshin/FGO ... they probably want that at some point.

Tomb Raider and Deus Ex died for this.

People keep saying this, but Deus Ex isnt where it is because of the Avengers game. And Tomb Raider is alive.

i would laugh my ass off if, in the end, anthem had better post-launch support.

It already has more post-launch support than Anthem. Generally I think that's about the only answer Square can give right now. They 100% are watching whats gonna happen when Spider-Man drops and make a decision on the game then and there.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
yea fuck this pernicious GAAS shit. You took an amazing franchise and before your could do justice to the characters and the story you started counting how many dollars you'll make by locking all sorts of shit. I am so happy to see this game fail.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The "they publish" must be my favorite new resetera meme

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already impossible cause Avengers has 2 DLC characters + their campaigns released/releasing in 2weeks.
They also announced the custom HARM rooms coming to the game.
Anthem got nothing.

Not to mention they signed a multi-game deal, which may or may not have included a certain amount of post-launch support.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
:( with the answer they gave (I know it's for investors and not gamers) they are making me not want to pick up the next gen version, which is when I was planning on hopping in