• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So leftover Frontiers stuff was found in Origins. It appears they used their Frontiers tools to make the Sonic Origins 3D menus (which are awesome btw).

So, not only are there references to Cyberspace levels stuff (lol), we got an indication that Big might be in the game !

These are some of the string references leftovers (link in the above tweet):

1. MonumentCleared
  2. SculptureCleared
  3. FirstLightPillar
  4. FirstPortalIn
  5. FirstPortalCleared
  6. FirstPortalFailed
  7. FirstChaosEmeraldStrageOpen
  8. FirstChaosEmeraldStrageGet
  9. SecondTutoIslandSage
  10. ChaosEmeraldGot
  11. BossAppearEvent
  12. AncientBridgeCleared
  13. GiantStatueCleared
  14. GiantBridgeCleared
  15. WaterfallBreakCleared
  16. KodamaElderFirstTalked
  17. KodamaHermitFirstTalked
  18. FishCaught
  19. NewFishFirstLooked
  20. FishingBigFirstTalked
  21. VoiceDiaryCaught
  22. UIParryTutorialWatched
  23. UIKodamaTutorialWatched
  24. UIFishingTutorialWatched
  25. UILightPillarTutorialWatched
  26. UIMapMenuTutorialWatched
  27. FishingSpotId
  28. GrowFlowerStartDay

"FishingBigFirstTalked"

Same format as for another new NPC: "KodamaElderTalked" and "KodamaHermitTalked"

Megaton. If this is actually the case, it's an inspired reference to SA1.

Edit: Not a long thread but see the threadmarks for more evidence.

Last edited:

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
The fact that this is in Sonic Origins' files, a completely seperate project from Frontiers/Rangers, is simply incredible

Awe inspiring

How

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kodama are Japsnese tree spirits iirc, basically what the Koroks more or less are.

More evidence ! Purple coins with fishing hooks

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Eu9uYnw.png

For the unconvinced:

oHIznNB.png

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this is in Sonic Origins' files, a completely seperate project from Frontiers/Rangers, is simply incredible

Awe inspiring

How
Eh this happens all the time. Especially if games are being made at the same studio using the same engine. This is where 80% of Valve News Network content comes from.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
This is a genuine win for the game in my eyes because stuff like this indicates that someone high up at Sonic Team cared enough about Adventure to have this included.

Oct 26, 2017
Does this confirm that Origins is built on Hedgehog Engine 2? I mean the Capcam Arcade Stadium games run on RE Engine believe it or not so it's not unheard of, and obviously Frontiers would be.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Does this confirm that Origins is built on Hedgehog Engine 2? I mean the Capcam Arcade Stadium games run on RE Engine believe it or not so it's not unheard of, and obviously Frontiers would be.
I don't doubt the main menu stuff in Origins being rendered with Hedgehog Engine (and it's the only reason outside of flat out incompetence for Frontiers assets to be in there to begin with), but it should be noted that RE Engine is only used for the 3D rendered frontend for Capcom Arcade Stadium; The games themselves are regular ass emulation.

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
What the? Could this be possibly be fake?

Dario is a well known Sonic fan modder. I doubt he'd retweet a fake. He was part of the team that made Generations' Unleashed Project mod if I remember right.

Also, one of the SGF previewer said there was a fishing minigame tip that appeared to him in a loading screen. So at the very least, that part is real. The purple coins with the fishing hook symbol are also real as shown at the threadmarked post. It adds up.

More evidence ! Nintendo Everything preview mentioned a fishing minigame

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Everything's hands-on preview mentioned this in their show demo writeup. No idea what it's about, but nobody else caught on to it.

Awe inspiring

How
This happens in software development with any kind of shared codebase all the time. We first learned about Kirby and the Forgotten Land because HAL left some "Kirby3D" strings in Kirby Fighters 2.

Kodama are Japsnese tree spirits iirc, basically what the Koroks more or less are.
Yeah, that's almost certainly just the working name of the little rock guys in this.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The cat's out of the bag!

Some of it still sounds a little fishy though, but I'm hooked to learn more.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
What the? Could this be possibly be fake?
Most likely scenario is that the neat 3D island presentation Origins uses for it's main menu runs on Hedgehog Engine 2, and the specific build Origins uses was probably forked off of a dev build of Frontiers but wasn't scrubbed of the data for that.

Sega/Sonic Team can all kinds of incompetent, but datamines like this have turned up in all kinds of games to the extent that I'd hesitate to single them out in this specific instance.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this kind of thing does happen, but the reason this seems so egregious (and hilarious) is because of Sega's bizarre marketing strategy.

bingy

Jun 24, 2021
This is incredible news. I was so scared they wouldn't have Big in the game when the news broke that there was fishing in the game.

I don't care if it's good or not. Big rules.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Not only is he showing up in the new cartoon, but also their latest mainline game? Big sure is hitting it Big.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely surprised that Big would be returning to a main series game. I don't think he has appeared outside of spin-offs since like…Heroes?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately loved the fishing in SA1 so, bring it on.

Now give me chao garden!

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
My Switch has some trouble running demanding games, the fan goes crazy. ANd evertime I see those lovely animated 3d islands, it goes crazy. Normal gameplay will be ok for a while for the fans to kick in. WHich means, I should neve rplay Sonic Frontiers on this thing. (Unless I clean the insides)