• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
PnySPUpL_o.jpeg

I sort of hope when this happens, that we get plenty of fanart of Luffy dunking on Batman or Luffy rifling Batman in the face with teeth being knocked out.

I should mention that I think the 484 million sales for Batman is an estimate as far as I know but it's still a big accomplishment.

Close if old.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I have always wanted to get into One Piece once I finish with my Junji Ito collection. How good is the story?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. It'll beat Batman this year.

When will it beat Superman?
I don't think so. Superman is at 600 million copies sold. One Piece has around another 5 years. It'll be hard to reach that mark, unless there's some sort of an explosion, like in earlier years.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it'll overtake once we get into the final arc and hype/word of mouth goes through the roof.

there's a group of people out there who wait for series to finish before purchasing/reading it. Those will crawl out of the woodwork once the biggest manga in history nears its end.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Superman is at 600 million copies sold. One Piece has around another 5 years. It'll be hard to reach that mark, unless there's some sort of an explosion, like in earlier years.
Their best chance is to re-release the entire series in color like the digital version.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I have always wanted to get into One Piece once I finish with my Junji Ito collection. How good is the story?
It is a great adventure story. It takes a few volumes to find it's groove but once it does it rarely stumbles. Great characters, an intriguing plot and fantastic world building. It's also only a few years away from ending according to its creator.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good but I think where it really shines is the character work, so many incredible ones with great backstories.

Don't manga usually get a push when they end and people go and buy older volumes to catch up? I think One Piece ending will be hyped up as a major event.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is this compared to the "main" Batman issues, or any Bat-related comic book?

Aiii

ä½•ć“ć‚Œ
Oct 24, 2017
I mean Luffy would beat up Batman in five seconds, lets be honest.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fuck yeah

This is wild, considering that Batman comics have had tons of different authors while One Piece is all just one continuous story.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Thats impressive, congrats to eiichiro oda and team.

Not sure why there needs to be fanart where luffy punched batman though, if some other comic series surpass one piece one day should their characters also beat luffy to a pulp? I really dont get it

Oct 27, 2017
It's why I always laugh when people downplay OP or pretend it's only popular in Japan, despite it rivaling series that predate it by longer than the mangaka has been alive for

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
there's a group of people out there who wait for series to finish before purchasing/reading it. Those will crawl out of the woodwork once the biggest manga in history nears its end.
This is me, I set a side a small amount of moneys every months, so when One piece finish I'll buy the whole thing.

But current situation with Oda (support CP hoarder colleague) really make it seems like he doesn't want/need my money so I'm still debating

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure why people act like Superman's the best selling comic though, others have sold way more. I know that the german Micky Maus sold over a billion copies so far for example and that's not even worldwide just in german speaking countries and other comics in other countries did similar numbers. Why are those comics ignored?

Not that Superman's 600 million aren't impressive but it's also very far from the actual highest selling comics. Is this a situation where american media make a claim and fhe rest of the world believes it without checking like when they say The Simpsons is the longest running animated show although in reality it's not even close to being that?

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
300 million I think which is even more impressive considering it only released 42 volumes.

Dragon Ball during its run was an absolute monster. There was nothing like it at the time, it was a cultural phenomenon and more or less saved the Jump brand. It's no wonder its fingerprints are in basically every modern battle shonen series.

Toriyama will probably go down as the most influential mangaka in history after Tezuka and Nagai.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
It's why I always laugh when people downplay OP or pretend it's only popular in Japan, despite it rivaling series that predate it by longer than the mangaka has been alive for
It just never hit that level of popularity in the US for whatever reason. If it had then it would have the sales record already.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

That is absolutely 100% the case though.

The sales confirm 390 million of the One Piece sales figures comes from Japan. The rest of the 470 million volumes is divided amongst 42 other countries where One Piece has been licensed officially.
Source

It sold 390 million copies in Japan and 80 million copies in all 42 other countries combined (back when it was at 470, not 480).

By comparison, Dragon Ball sold "only" 160 million copies in Japan but between 90 and 140 million copies in all 40 other countries combined. Or Naruto: It "only" sold 140m in Japan, but 95 million internationally.

That still makes One Piece quite big internationally. But not even close to as popular as it is in Japan.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Fucking 4Kids. The only thing in retrospect I praise them for is the Pokemon dub VA

That is absolutely 100% the case though.

comicbook.com

One Piece Hits Major New Sales Record

One Piece might have lost a reigning sales record to Demon Slayer last year, but that doesn't mean [...]

It sold 390 million copies in Japan and 80 million copies in all 42 other countries combined (back when it was at 470, not 480).

80 million internationally is still a lot...

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this happened a few years ago. Thought OP was already number one worldwide.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure why people act like Superman's the best selling comic though, others have sold way more. I know that the german Micky Maus sold over a billion copies so far for example and that's not even worldwide just in german speaking countries and other comics in other countries did similar numbers. Why are those comics ignored?

Not that Superman's 600 million aren't impressive but it's also very far from the actual highest selling comics. Is this a situation where american media make a claim and fhe rest of the world believes it without checking like when they say The Simpsons is the longest running animated show although in reality it's not even close to being that?

I almost responded seriously to this, then I realized: Bruh you started the line of inquiry about Superman. The thread was about One Piece passing Batman.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this happened a few years ago. Thought OP was already number one worldwide.
One Piece is #3 currently. Batman & Superman are still ahead as they have decades of sales

And you were probably thinking of the previous articles about One Piece getting close to Batman. Since 2019, this exact topic has happened every couple of months when One Piece's numbers get updated. But Batman still sells just enough every year to stay ahead, though the gap keeps narrowing.

One Piece will take the #2 spot sometime this year

grand

Oct 25, 2017

This is about individual series sales, not magazine sales. Those are tracked separately. But even in that category, Micky Maus isn't the best selling as Shonen Jump has sold over 7 billion to Micky Maus' 1 billion.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
OP is at 480m with volume 98's first print (probably 3m, it's been that much for years now).
Meaning with volume 99, it will be at 483m.

So OP will beat Batman with volume 100!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
This is about individual series sales, not magazine sales. Those are tracked separately. But even in that category, Micky Maus isn't the best selling as Shonen Jump has sold over 7 billion to Micky Maus' 1 billion.
I didn't know there was a difference between magazines and other comics. When I read Micky Maus as a kid it was a flimsy book just like Spider-Man.

Anyway, according to this both Spider-Man and X-Men sold more than Batman and Superman, so which numbers are correct? Are they all just estimates? And are the One Piece numbers actually tracked or are those also estimates especially for worldwide numbers?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was a difference between magazines and other comics. When I read Micky Maus as a kid it was a flimsy book just like Spider-Man.

Anyway, according to this both Spider-Man and X-Men sold more than Batman and Superman, so which numbers are correct? Are they all just estimates? And are the One Piece numbers actually tracked or are those also estimates especially for worldwide numbers?
The Wikipedia article flags both those numbers as dubious and the source cited for Spiderman adds the total to just under 400 million. There's probably a discussion on the article page about fixing it